IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

The 2014 Lexus IS is expected to make its official debut at the 2013 NAIAS in Detroit

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-12, 07:42 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by natnut
All this is making me hesitate between buying the new GS now or waiting for the new IS next year.

The new IS is shaping up to repeat the same feat that the new GS achieved this year : slay the competitors in its segment in terms of handling and end up being the most complete, well balanced car in its respective segment.

The current pecking order in the mid-size luxury segment is GS > A6 > 5 series > E class > Infiniti M.

Next year, will it be : IS > 3 series > Cadillac ATS and Infiniti G > A4 > C class for the compact luxury segment ??
i guess the question is if you need extra size and luxury that GS offers? Or simpler, smaller and slightly faster version (IS) more suitable?
Old 12-06-12, 08:20 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

The current pecking order in the mid-size luxury segment is GS > A6 > 5 series > E class > Infiniti M.

Next year, will it be : IS > 3 series > Cadillac ATS and Infiniti G > A4 > C class for the compact luxury segment ??
Most of the reviews coming from major publications that have come out have put these all in different orders, hilariously so in the compact luxury segment. The A4 and C-class especially seem to regularly move from 2nd place to 2nd to last place, depending on the comparison. Hell, the C350 was just placed in second above the 3-series in the latest MotorTrend comparison. The Infiniti M in the midsize class is the only one I've regularly seen in the order you described. I'd also take issue with your placement of the Infiniti G, as its quite old at this point.

But yes, I agree the Lexus could upset the 3-series or ATS in "pecking order", depending on how you're judging that.
Old 12-06-12, 08:30 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TangoRed
Most of the reviews coming from major publications that have come out have put these all in different orders, hilariously so in the compact luxury segment. The A4 and C-class especially seem to regularly move from 2nd place to 2nd to last place, depending on the comparison. Hell, the C350 was just placed in second above the 3-series in the latest MotorTrend comparison. The Infiniti M in the midsize class is the only one I've regularly seen in the order you described. I'd also take issue with your placement of the Infiniti G, as its quite old at this point.

But yes, I agree the Lexus could upset the 3-series or ATS in "pecking order", depending on how you're judging that.
Thats just based on how old they are... this is why order changes. As to the Cadillac, not sure that they fit into the same breath as Lexus, BMW and MB, no matter what US media says.
Old 12-06-12, 08:31 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by cino
So Lexus IS chief engineer claims that the car is more fun-to-drive than current 3 series. The team used previous gen 3 series for benchmarking.
lexus already has the gs proving what they can do, so i have very high hope of the is

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
well this is certainly a very different P.R. approach for lexus, letting mags and other reviewers drive a camo'd car!

i think it's great, getting good buzz out there before the big reveal.
yup, i am so glad to see lexus continue changing their ways of doing PR. this is doing wonders for them imho
Old 12-06-12, 08:34 AM
TooFly4Ya
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks good, but honestly I just care about the next GEN 4door ISF. This waiting game...suckssss.
Old 12-06-12, 08:45 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Lexus offers up details on a possible IS-F coupe

During the LF-CC’s North American at the 2012 SEMA Show, Lexus Marketing Boss Brian Bolain offered almost every possible detail on an upcoming performance two-door vehicle without necessarily confirming the production model. The new model will replace the outgoing SC and will most likely be offered with an IS-F Coupe nomenclature.

When talking about the sports car’s exterior design, Bolain said that the LF-CC Concept is a clear indication of what the future model will look like, especially when it comes to the monoform grille which will first be used in the upcoming 2014 IS F-Sport sedan. Also, the upcoming performance coupe will feature the company’s new signature Spindle Grille recently seen on the new GS sedan.

"Design is not something we’ve ever been given credit for. Design has got to become one of our hallmarks. With LF-LC and LF-CC we’re starting to prove to outsiders we can do it."

The future IS-F Coupe’s power source is still under consideration and Bolain confirmed that everything is possible, starting from a four-cylinder engine all the way up to a V8 engine.
http://www.topspeed.com/cars/car-new...-ar137495.html
Old 12-06-12, 08:53 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
Thats just based on how old they are... this is why order changes. As to the Cadillac, not sure that they fit into the same breath as Lexus, BMW and MB, no matter what US media says.
Not necessarily, which is why the the E46 and E90 regularly dominated their comparison tests. In the midsize class, the cars have more distinct personalities that cause the rankings to change too. It is rare that you'll ever see a Non-AMG E-class when a comparo, because they tune their cars more on the soft side of things.

Agreed, I was including the ATS because I "should." Cadillac isn't there yet in terms of prestige.

On a side note, I think the upcoming coupe will do huge things to draw attention to Lexus. An attainable, striking Lexus will draw people into the showrooms in no time.
Old 12-06-12, 09:01 AM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Vh_Supra26
The new model will replace the outgoing SC and will most likely be offered with an IS-F Coupe nomenclature.
Not sure what he really means by replacing the outgoing SC because the SC was a convertible and the upcoming model is a coupe. If anything, the current IS-C is already a replacement for the SC. Also, by suggesting that the new coupe will carry the IS-F Coupe nomenclature it implies that it'll only come with a performance-oriented powertrain with no lower-end options, which I think is highly unlikely, unless Lexus really wants to dilute the F marque. All in all I think most of this article was simply made up by the journalist.

Last edited by ydooby; 12-06-12 at 09:04 AM.
Old 12-06-12, 09:07 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

All of these "reports" are making my head hurt lol.

For me, it would be nice if Lexus offered an IS coupe as well as a bigger coupe based on the GS (true 1st gen SC replacement).
Old 12-06-12, 09:11 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ydooby
Not sure what he really means by replacing the outgoing SC because the SC was a convertible and the upcoming model is a coupe. If anything, the current IS-C is already a replacement for the SC. Also, by suggesting that the new coupe will carry the IS-F Coupe nomenclature it implies that it'll only come with a performance-oriented powertrain with no lower-end options, which I think is highly unlikely, unless Lexus really wants to dilute the F marque. All in all I think most of this article was simply made up by the journalist.
IS-C cant be replacement for SC... SC was true luxury cruiser with V8. IS-C is IS convertible.
Old 12-06-12, 09:12 AM
Trexus

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

Agree to some extent.

Tier 1 Luxury Mid Size

Lexus GS
Audi A6
BMW 5 Series
Mercedes E Class

Tier 1 Luxury Compact

Lexus IS
BMW 3 Series
Audi A4
Mercedes C Class

Tier 2 Luxury Mid Size

Cadillac CTS
Infiniti M
Acura
Lincoln

Tier 2 Luxury Compact

Cadillac ATS
Infiniti G
Acura
Lincoln

Last edited by Trexus; 12-06-12 at 09:17 AM.
Old 12-06-12, 09:14 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

My question is how hard would it be for Lexus to make a GS coupe or a GS based coupe? Would it cost them alot of money to do so?
Old 12-06-12, 09:23 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
as spwolf mentioned no they did not get rid of remote touch. Which, for everyone else reading this should be clarified.

Remote Touch models have navigation and with RT they have the little wrist rest. On non navi models, a turn/push **** is used for the multimedia display.

Now here's the kicker. Most IS models will NOT come with navigation. Why you ask? Because the 14 IS will be the first to be able to stream your maps from your smart phone onto the multimedia display. No need for a $2000 OEM navi system anymore
This may or may not be a good thing. Think Bespoke for Scion. The mapping is streamed from your phone, but you're forced to listen to the Scion radio stations. Lets hope that this isn't the case.
Old 12-06-12, 09:28 AM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Vh_Supra26
My question is how hard would it be for Lexus to make a GS coupe or a GS based coupe? Would it cost them alot of money to do so?
The upcoming production version of the LF-CC, supposedly to be named the RC, is a coupe based on the GS.
Old 12-06-12, 09:31 AM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

IS-C cant be replacement for SC... SC was true luxury cruiser with V8. IS-C is IS convertible.
Of course the IS-C is not a successor to the SC, but it is a replacement for the SC in terms of being the only 2-door choice in Lexus's lineup (the LFA notwithstanding). It will have to do until the day a true SC successor arrives.

Quick Reply: The 2014 Lexus IS is expected to make its official debut at the 2013 NAIAS in Detroit