IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

The 2014 Lexus IS is expected to make its official debut at the 2013 NAIAS in Detroit

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-12, 02:25 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by ydooby
Not sure, but I tend to think the "sound enhancers" the article is referring to the sound generator producing engine sounds from the audio system, except that for the V6 models it is simply reproducing what it records from the engine bay.I'm pretty sure they test drove the F-Sport versions of both cars. Only the F-Sport versions get the fancy gauge cluster and the Sport+ mode (on the IS350) after all.
V6 F-Sports do the same as GS350... they open up the firewall so you get real engine noise after certain rpm.
IS300h's is only one that has recorded noise.

they did test F-Sport only... IS250 didnt have Sport+ mode (VGRS and AVS).
Old 12-06-12, 02:32 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Today's Autoblog article sounds like more disappointment. We were really pumped up from early speculation, but so far every reviewer at the Sant Anita test has sounded like they walked away let-down. I'm surprised, after the level the new GS has hit. The IS cannot slack off in any way with today's stiff competition and momentum Lexus is on right now. I hope the real-world tests glow a little more. Hoovey had me all excited that the next IS was going to blow everything else away, but so far it's not sounding like that at all (at least dynamically). Maybe I'm jumping the gun here. Did the new GS reviews at the Santa Anita preview match the real-world tests soon after?
I think the disappointment is mainly restricted to the autocross, where the IS350 F-Sport was found not tail-happy. In the real world on the canyon roads Autoblog did give both of the new models high praises in terms of both handling capabilities and road feedback. Another disappointment though is in the gearbox. Even though they claimed the 8-speed was handed down from the IS-F it did not get the same lightning-fast shifting logic from the IS-F. A more aggressive setting should be used for the Sport+ mode like they say. All in all from what I gather from the reviews unless you track or drift your IS you should find the new model a definite step forward from the old model.
Old 12-06-12, 03:57 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I have a feeling the GS will get a quartercycle upgrade to 8 speed transmission.

no sense that the GS still has a 6 speed when this is getting the 8
Old 12-06-12, 05:01 PM
RXSF

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
NuLuxe3 is basically like 2 but with perforations
I thought nuluxe 2 added the perforations.
Old 12-06-12, 05:51 PM
Squirrelz
Pole Position

I think it is time to start the 3rd gen IS sub section in the IS section!!
Old 12-06-12, 05:51 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

I think the disappointment is mainly restricted to the autocross, where the IS350 F-Sport was found not tail-happy. In the real world on the canyon roads Autoblog did give both of the new models high praises in terms of both handling capabilities and road feedback. Another disappointment though is in the gearbox. Even though they claimed the 8-speed was handed down from the IS-F it did not get the same lightning-fast shifting logic from the IS-F. A more aggressive setting should be used for the Sport+ mode like they say. All in all from what I gather from the reviews unless you track or drift your IS you should find the new model a definite step forward from the old model.
i dont think any of them was bad, only edmunds was - uninterested?

i dont take much of it seriously because this is not GT86 but sport sedan.

It is hard to take things seriously when half of these guys wrote how fast IS250 is and we all know it is a dog... well i only tried GS250 and its a dog's dog, and i would never ever ever ever get it.

I have faith in chief engineer and GS's platform. I am not so concerned about the drive at all... i just want it to be polarizing design with great interior and I have my next car.
Old 12-06-12, 06:37 PM
EthanV
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think we are all just wait another month to see what we get on the new IS!
Old 12-06-12, 07:54 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

japanese review:
http://car.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/...05_577250.html

few things i understood:
- hybrid has 50:50 weight distribution
- rear bench foldable in all models as batteries are under the trunk.
- more stable than old one
- drifting controllable by gas pedal, unlike old one which would break fast
- more firm but more comfortable
- brakes have excellent control/feel
Old 12-06-12, 08:13 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
Not necessarily, which is why the the E46 and E90 regularly dominated their comparison tests. In the midsize class, the cars have more distinct personalities that cause the rankings to change too. It is rare that you'll ever see a Non-AMG E-class when a comparo, because they tune their cars more on the soft side of things.

Agreed, I was including the ATS because I "should." Cadillac isn't there yet in terms of prestige.

On a side note, I think the upcoming coupe will do huge things to draw attention to Lexus. An attainable, striking Lexus will draw people into the showrooms in no time.
Cadillac ATS def needs to be included in entry level luxury sport sedans (same can be said of the next gen CTS when it gets bigger and more luxurious against the 5, E, A6, GS). ATS is already beating the 3-Series in some comparison tests (GM makes a good magnetic ride control suspension). Agreed Caddy isn't "there" yet but they are getting there.

Although I expect the IS to take cues from it's GS brother and dominate the segment, we need to be weary of the wild card not getting much press. The next gen Infiniti G.

Not sure what he really means by replacing the outgoing SC because the SC was a convertible and the upcoming model is a coupe. If anything, the current IS-C is already a replacement for the SC. Also, by suggesting that the new coupe will carry the IS-F Coupe nomenclature it implies that it'll only come with a performance-oriented powertrain with no lower-end options, which I think is highly unlikely, unless Lexus really wants to dilute the F marque. All in all I think most of this article was simply made up by the journalist.
LF-CC would not replace the SC. That's what the LF-LC is for. LF-CC should be the the upcoming RC350

Great review by Autoblog, giving us many small details not reported by the others. Odd that while the GS350 F-Sport was deemed playful by many reviewers at the preview test drive event, the new IS350 F-Sport seems to behave oppositely at an autocross, too planted and understeer-prone for its own good. But like the review says the car does shine in real-world conditions and that's what really matters in the end of the day.
Also, from the review it seems that the sound generator actually "pipes" the real engine sound into the cabin. So is the sound generated by the sound generator not fake after all? I'm guessing it's only fake in the IS300h since the 4-cylinder hybrid is the one that really needs it, while in the 6-cylinder models the sound generator simply transmits the sounds from the engine bay.
Did anyone else catch that there are still Bridgestone Turanza's on the IS

Sound generators are fine. It's sound tracks *cough cough M5 cough* that are

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
honestly they need to put the 300 engine from the 06 GS300 that has 245 hp to replace the IS250
Powerwise sure, but truthfully it probably comes down to MPG. I'd look for that turbo4 come midcylce refresh to power the IS.
Old 12-06-12, 08:55 PM
stlgrym3
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by pman6
I have a feeling the GS will get a quartercycle upgrade to 8 speed transmission.

no sense that the GS still has a 6 speed when this is getting the 8

yeah agree. the 6 speed auto in the 4GS will be only one year model just like the 2006 GS300.
Old 12-06-12, 10:22 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,618 Posts

They did this already with the GS.
maybe i just forget but did they let the press drive camo'd 4GS vehicles and report on that? obviously they did with the lfa for years

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Cadillac ATS def needs to be included in entry level luxury sport sedans
indeed.
Old 12-07-12, 06:33 AM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
maybe i just forget but did they let the press drive camo'd 4GS vehicles and report on that?
Yeah..
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...-pics-181.html
Old 12-07-12, 07:11 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Lightbulb MotorTrend

"So, is it fun to drive?" head engineer Junichi Furuyama asked as I hopped out of a prototype of the all-new 2014 Lexus IS F Sport. He stood on the rain-soaked pavement eagerly awaiting my response, smile stretched ear-to-ear. "Most definitely," I replied. Most definitely.

2 hours before, Furuyama had run through a quick engineering briefing of the all-new 2014 Lexus IS lineup. One goal superseded all others: make the IS fun to drive, especially the F Sport models. Oh, and make them more fun than the 3 Series, C-Class, and ATS -- the car's main bogies. As if that wasn't enough to keep Furuyama-san up at night, he also had to ensure the new IS was Lexus-like in all the usual areas, meaning it had to be quiet, comfortable, and practical as well as fun.

Improving the athleticism of the IS without nullifying traditional Lexus comfort meant substantial changes. Body rigidity was improved through additional spot welding in the A-pillars, front fenders, and floor panels. More than 82 feet of stronger adhesive was added around wheel wells, door frames, and engine bay. Laser screw welds in the floor panels shored up critical junctures, reducing flex and bumping up on-road stability.

Lexus also substantially re-engineered the suspension. The 2014 IS receives front stabilizer arms that Lexus says are 20 percent more rigid than before, and its modified multi-link rear suspension was cribbed from the latest GS. Toe arms were moved rearward and springs and shocks separated, resulting in increased rear grip, higher pitch between suspension towers, and more cargo room, according to Furuyama. In the 350 F Sport, the Lexus Adaptive Variable Suspension (AVS) stiffens damping as the driver progresses through the Drive Select system's 5 drive modes (Snow, Eco, Normal, Sport, Sport S+) - again, like the GS.

The 2014 IS also needed a steering rack with substantial tangible feel. Lexus again borrowed from the GS, opting for a revised version of the bigger car's electronically boosted setup that allows for a lighter feel at low speeds, thanks to a higher stroke ratio (up 3 percent versus the outgoing model). That's not all: a new ball screw structure provides smoother feedback throughout the steering wheel's entire rotation, and you can thank the more rigid pinion shaft for the lack of an on-center dead spot. There's a floating end bushing that improves responsiveness to small inputs, too. IS 350 F Sports also receive Variable Gear Ratio Steering (VGRS), which changes feel based on speed and driving situation when the Sport S+ mode is selected.

Powertrains are largely carryover, though tuning and outputs are slightly different, said Lexus USA product planning manager Ben Mitchell. A version of the current IS F's 8-speed transmission with steering wheel-mounted paddle shifters does make its way into the 350 F Sport. The IS 250 F Sport continues to make do with the familiar paddle-shifted 6-speed auto. 2014 Lexus IS 350 F Sport Prototype Control I got to try the 2014 IS 250 F Sport first. With a 200-plus-horsepower, 2.5-liter 6-cylinder motivating its rear wheels, the 250 F Sport shot off the line with surprising peppiness. It's no rocket by any means, but with Drive Select in the most aggressive Sport mode (no Sport S+ here), gear shifts occur near the 7000 rpm redline and throttle response sharpens, which also means the brand's sound optimization intake chamber pumped a delicious IS F-esque growl into the cabin.

Nudge it into a bend and you'll notice a weighty but not overly boosted tug in your palms and minimal body roll beneath your bum. Turn-in aggressively and everything below follows smoothly. Though there's some plowing at the limits, there's an uncanny reactiveness to the chassis, and steering that's addicting and entertaining. Its non-adjustable suspension has a Scion FR-S ride quality to it in that it's firm yet comfortable, well-planted and never harsh. Because the IS grew lengthwise, has a stretched wheelbase, and a wider track (exact measurements weren't disclosed), it definitely feels heftier, but the 250 still exhibited a playful, balanced, and well-sorted handling personality.

Gearshifts are immediate but not extraordinarily quick (even in Sport mode) and most occur when you want, but sometimes a pull of the downshift paddle produces nothing but a loud beep indicating a "no shift." When hustled towards a corner, gears will hang high near the torquey red zone. Hit the limiter and you'll see an upshift every time. A shining positive: Throughout a day of countless hard stops, the brakes clenched firmly with each pedal stab.

Sport Mode selected, paddles flapping feverishly, and Traction Control light flashing on the dash is the safest way to have a lot of fun in the 250 F Sport. Braver drivers can kill the electronic nanny for a full tail-wagging, Bridgestone Turanza-tearing experience (the rubber is sized 225/40R-18 front, 255/35R-18 rear). They'll just need to mind the limiter.

While plenty of smiles were had in the 250 F Sport, the 350 F Sport felt like it had an extra 100 pounds hidden in its nose. Naturally, with a more powerful 300-plus-horse 3.5-liter V-6 motivating the 18-inch alloys, the 350 F Sport felt a tad quicker than its little brother in all circumstances.

What does feel substantially different is the chassis with Drive Mode Select in Sport S+, which brings the IS 350's throttle response, gear shift time, steering weightiness, and suspension damping to their highest performance levels. I mostly noticed a stiffened ride, touchier throttle, and a gearbox that was confused by multiple back-to-back shifts/on-off throttle jabs/hard stops (remember, this a prototype).

Pushing the 350 F Sport hard produced more plowing than expected in a sporty sedan of this class and price point. In Sport S+ mode, the damping feels a tad too stiff, a la the first-gen IS F, which preferred to ricochet off imperfections rather than absorb them. As a result, grip suffers overs a variety of uneven real world pavements and the Bridgestones squeal like starving piglets.

Still, there's much to be said about the solidness of the IS' updated chassis. Never did it exude unbalanced tendencies or quirky behaviors during my day of canyon and autocross runs; it simply feels very substantial and nose-heavy, not as agile or as reactive as the BMW or Cadillac. The 8-speed transmission shifts in haste, but you'll need to be in M-range mode with Sport S+ engaged for the quickest shifts and throttle-blipped downshifts.

Around town in Normal mode, the 350 F Sport had the most pliable ride. Front seats that are eight-tenths of an inch lower allow for more headroom. Those seats are also scalloped for rear occupant knee space - my 6'2" copilot fit just fine. Even in prototype form, exterior road noise barely penetrated the passenger quarters.

Triple-layered duct tape covered the majority of the interior's switchgear, yet clearly visible were haptic touch climate control slide buttons meant for temperature adjustment. An F Meter driver instrument cluster mimics that of the LFA and is basically one big LCD screen with a movable ring overlay that slides horizontally depending on drive mode and menu options. In other words, the sliding tachometer is wicked cool and will amaze hordes of passengers and would-be buyers.

IS 350 buyers will get a thicker 3-spoke steering wheel that's wrapped in a new perforated leather grain. Both models receive F Sport-unique bolstered seats, wheels, body cladding, and badging along with a 2-tiered leather-wrapped dash that's styled in the same vein as the latest GS and LS sedans.

The 2014 IS hits our turf in production form next year following its January debut at the Detroit Auto Show. By then, more bolts will have been twisted and a few more computer maps reprogrammed, allowing the IS' forward progression to be adequately judged. In other words, stay tuned.
Old 12-07-12, 07:16 AM
LexFather

A lot of the reviews are saying the 350 feels nose heavy...for those that have driven the current IS on the autocross/track it was obvious that

1. The IS 350 F sport handled better on the smaller autocross for not plowing ahead and overpowering the car like the IS F
2. On a larger course the IS F is the better car to have since it can stretch its legs more.

Now it seems the same thing is happening between the IS 250 and 350. One of the keys so far with the LFA, FRS, new GS is the cars have outstanding platoforms and chassis and the engines don't overpower the chassis, they match near perfectly. In this case it sounds that the chassis is very good but somehow the IS 350 engine is overpowering things.

Old 12-07-12, 08:01 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

F Sport didnt even look like it had 19" summer tires on them. Car doesnt even go on sale until May 2013. Jumping the gun if you expect this to be the final spec. This is some nice beta testing and marketing for Lexus. Hell if the F Sport managed a .91g on wet pavement imagine when you put 19" summer tires and have dry pavement.

Quick Reply: The 2014 Lexus IS is expected to make its official debut at the 2013 NAIAS in Detroit