IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

The 2014 Lexus IS is expected to make its official debut at the 2013 NAIAS in Detroit

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-12, 08:58 AM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GS69
With a 200-plus-horsepower, 2.5-liter 6-cylinder motivating its rear wheels, the 250 F Sport shot off the line with surprising peppiness.
That's definitely not my experience with the current IS250, which felt decidedly sluggish off the line and only felt motivated in high rpms. Glad to see they've somehow eliminated this weakness despite the powertrain carryover but am also wondering how it affects fuel economy if it's done through a shorter gear ratio.

Last edited by ydooby; 12-07-12 at 09:56 AM.
Old 12-07-12, 09:29 AM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Blueprint
A lot of the reviews are saying the 350 feels nose heavy...for those that have driven the current IS on the autocross/track it was obvious that

1. The IS 350 F sport handled better on the smaller autocross for not plowing ahead and overpowering the car like the IS F
2. On a larger course the IS F is the better car to have since it can stretch its legs more.

Now it seems the same thing is happening between the IS 250 and 350. One of the keys so far with the LFA, FRS, new GS is the cars have outstanding platoforms and chassis and the engines don't overpower the chassis, they match near perfectly. In this case it sounds that the chassis is very good but somehow the IS 350 engine is overpowering things.
Actually the current IS250 F-Sport is the best handling car of the bunch, maintaining the highest slalom speed of 71mph of any car in the segment according to InsideLine's tests.

It seems to me that while Lexus simply develops the IS with the smallest engine to perfection first, and then swap to bigger engines and retune the suspensions and call it a day, BMW not only does all that but also make sure that every single 3-series model, including anything from the lowly 318i to the M3 and even the Touring models, has a perfect 50:50 front-to-rear weight distribution ratio by strategically placing its heaviest components differently for different models in order to maintain the neutral handling that has become the hallmark of the 3-series.

Lexus could really learn from BMW here IMHO.

Last edited by ydooby; 12-07-12 at 10:34 AM.
Old 12-07-12, 10:07 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 163 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by ydooby
That's definitely not my experience with the current IS250, which felt decidedly sluggish off the line and only felt motivated in high rpms. Glad to see they've somehow eliminated this weakness despite the powertrain carryover but am also wondering how it affects fuel economy if it's done through a shorter gear ratio.
i dont think much changed... it is just that rain soaked autox course isnt really the best choice for 306 hp car to test... the fact that they all keep calling IS250 powerful just shows how out of touch with reality this is... when they drive IS250 in normal conditions, i am sure they will end up not liking it too much.
Old 12-07-12, 10:18 AM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by spwolf
i dont think much changed... it is just that rain soaked autox course isnt really the best choice for 306 hp car to test... the fact that they all keep calling IS250 powerful just shows how out of touch with reality this is... when they drive IS250 in normal conditions, i am sure they will end up not liking it too much.
Dunno.. They did not say peppiness in comparison to anything else, but just "surprising peppiness" in regards to the IS250, which they drove first. To me it sounds like they were "surprised" because they likely had prior experience with the current IS250, not because they later drove the IS350 and felt little improvement.

Last edited by ydooby; 12-07-12 at 10:22 AM.
Old 12-07-12, 10:28 AM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dunno.. They did not say peppiness in comparison to anything else, but just "surprising peppiness" in regards to the IS250, which they drove first. To me they were "surprised" because they likely had experience with the current IS250 too, not because they later drove the IS350 and felt little improvement.
Agreed. Comparing IS250 to IS350 or IS-F is pointless, that is like comparing 328i to 335i.

Compare IS250 to 328i, and it is clear that while 328i maintains the BMW "driver experience", IS250 holds its own in the "Lexus feel" as well as power and acceleration. Is IS250 slow? Again, for a 2.5l, V6, yeah a little. Lexus really needed to get their transmission tuning in check, and offer an option that maximize fuel economy, balanced power/fuel and just plain fun power. They achieved the fuel economy and balanced power/fuel but forgot all about the just plain fun power part. It seems the 3IS will rectify that.
Old 12-07-12, 11:16 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Dunno.. They did not say peppiness in comparison to anything else, but just "surprising peppiness" in regards to the IS250, which they drove first. To me it sounds like they were "surprised" because they likely had prior experience with the current IS250, not because they later drove the IS350 and felt little improvement.
there is no magic... it is slow car and cant be changed by something that someone writes on the paper :-).
Old 12-07-12, 12:07 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

there is no magic... it is slow car and cant be changed by something that someone writes on the paper :-).
Dunno, I'm just surprised that they're surprised. And gear ratios can change, the IS250 MT being noticeably quicker than the AT a prime example (and its fuel economy suffered as a result of course).
Old 12-07-12, 12:17 PM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts

Reposting this from another thread. The 3IS just featured on Jay Leno's Garage. Thanks to Mr2KiEu.

Some very promising comments by Jay Leno as he took the prototype onto the Fuji Speedway track.

Here's the original thread :

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...os-garage.html

Last edited by natnut; 12-07-12 at 12:26 PM.
Old 12-07-12, 12:24 PM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts

Actually the current IS250 F-Sport is the best handling car of the bunch, maintaining the highest slalom speed of 71mph of any car in the segment according to InsideLine's tests.

It seems to me that while Lexus simply develops the IS with the smallest engine to perfection first, and then swap to bigger engines and retune the suspensions and call it a day, BMW not only does all that but also make sure that every single 3-series model, including anything from the lowly 318i to the M3 and even the Touring models, has a perfect 50:50 front-to-rear weight distribution ratio by strategically placing its heaviest components differently for different models in order to maintain the neutral handling that has become the hallmark of the 3-series.

Lexus could really learn from BMW here IMHO.
Not really. Most reviewers have said that the 328i is the better balanced and better handling car compared to the 335i. No one can defy physics. A larger engine is always going to be more nose heavy in the same chassis.
Old 12-07-12, 12:43 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Dunno, I'm just surprised that they're surprised. And gear ratios can change, the IS250 MT being noticeably quicker than the AT a prime example (and its fuel economy suffered as a result of course).
i know... but i drove GS250 6AT in Europe which has updated transmission, probably exactly the same thing as 3IS 250, and no, they didnt shorten the gear ratios... it is painfully slow to the point of being funny. And yes some mags wrote how it handles better than GS450h F-Sport because of the weight, lol.
Old 12-07-12, 01:32 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by natnut
Not really. Most reviewers have said that the 328i is the better balanced and better handling car compared to the 335i. No one can defy physics. A larger engine is always going to be more nose heavy in the same chassis.
Yes they've managed to screw up the current-gen 335i somehow, but at least up till the E90 every model in the 3-series lineup including the 335i and the M3 got praised for the same neutral handling characteristics, and they all did have 50:50 weight distribution according to the spec sheets, unlike the IS250 (52:48), the IS350 (53:47) and the IS-F (54:46)..
Old 12-07-12, 01:51 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts

Yes they've managed to screw up the current-gen 335i somehow, but at least up till the E90 every model in the 3-series lineup including the 335i and the M3 got praised for the same neutral handling characteristics, and they all did have 50:50 weight distribution according to the spec sheets, unlike the IS250 (52:48), the IS350 (53:47) and the IS-F (54:46)..
Not just the 3. 5 has been dinged badly too. 400lbs will do that too you.
Old 12-07-12, 01:53 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Not just the 3. 5 has been dinged badly too. 400lbs will do that too you.
Yeah but BMW has demonstrated that maintaining neutral handling across the lineup is possible in their past generations. That they screw up now does not mean it is not achievable.
Old 12-07-12, 02:02 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Yeah but BMW has demonstrated that maintaining neutral handling across the lineup is possible in their past generations. That they screw up now does not mean it is not achievable.
really? Every since i know about reading car reviews, they always say how bigger engined version of the car feels heavier in the nose.

They never did anything like you suggest nor is that actually possible. To balance the weight, you would have to make it heavier. Or do crazy stuff like not put aluminium hood on smaller engined car but put it to larger car, which will then gimp the smaller engined version.

Whole thing is a bit silly, since they claim that they can feel big difference with extra 50lbs in the nose but what does that mean? That the car feels completely different with full tank of fuel? :-).
Old 12-07-12, 02:19 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

really? Every since i know about reading car reviews, they always say how bigger engined version of the car feels heavier in the nose.
Really? Show me a review that says a pre-F30 3-series feels nose-heavy please.
They never did anything like you suggest nor is that actually possible. To balance the weight, you would have to make it heavier. Or do crazy stuff like not put aluminium hood on smaller engined car but put it to larger car, which will then gimp the smaller engined version.

Whole thing is a bit silly, since they claim that they can feel big difference with extra 50lbs in the nose but what does that mean? That the car feels completely different with full tank of fuel? :-).
It is possible to move weights around and/or alter the materials used in specific parts (the E90 M3 went as far as making the front fenders plastic) instead of adding weights in order to maintain balance. And BMW has proudly stated that they've done just that in many of their PRs including the following:
http://www.bmw.com/com/en/insights/t...tribution.html

And not putting an aluminum hood on a smaller engined car does not mean gimping it as long as it ends up equally balanced. Sames goes for not putting plastic fenders in the non-M cars in the example above.

Last edited by ydooby; 12-07-12 at 02:25 PM.

Quick Reply: The 2014 Lexus IS is expected to make its official debut at the 2013 NAIAS in Detroit