IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

The 2014 Lexus IS is expected to make its official debut at the 2013 NAIAS in Detroit

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-12, 07:25 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by ydooby
Lexus needs to retune the balance of the IS350 F-Sport if they intend to inject into it the same kind of "playfulness" found in the GS350 F-Sport.
you mean they have to retune their prototype that they already said is 90% completed? I mean what are we talking about here?

Besides, if you are soo into exactly what these reviews said, IS250 is fast and probably the best choice anyway... why spend extra money on IS350 when 250 is soo good.

And yes, it was DRS equipped cars that got by far the best reviews.
Old 12-07-12, 07:44 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
you mean they have to retune their prototype that they already said is 90% completed? I mean what are we talking about here?
Yes I'm hoping they're looking for feedbacks from the car journalists before finalizing the production tuning. Or maybe it's already too late to do that and they're only offering the test drives as part of the build-up to the release. Who knows. Like I said before, as it is the IS350 F-Sport should do well in real world conditions, but it just isn't going to win magazine comparos like the GS did when a big part of the magazine testing is done on the track.
Besides, if you are soo into exactly what these reviews said, IS250 is fast and probably the best choice anyway... why spend extra money on IS350 when 250 is soo good.
Because some people like the extra power?
And yes, it was DRS equipped cars that got by far the best reviews.
DRS certainly helps, but Autoblog's review proves that the GS F-Sport still does extremely well without it.

Last edited by ydooby; 12-07-12 at 07:47 PM.
Old 12-07-12, 07:47 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ydooby
Yes I'm hoping they're looking for feedbacks from the car journalists before finalizing the production tuning. Or maybe it's already too late to do that and they're only offering the test drives as part of the build-up to the release. Who knows. Like I said before, as it is the IS350 F-Sport should do well in real world conditions, but it just isn't going to win magazine comparos like the GS does when a big part of the magazine testing is done on the track.Because some people like the extra power?DRS certainly helps, but Autoblog's review proves that the GS F-Sport still does extremely well without it.
well i am not sure if blog like Autoblog should be able to define your opinion of an vehicle.

I was cheeky about IS250 - it will be slow as always, dont trust the journalists! They can write million times how fast it is, doesnt change the fact that it is slow and lacks urge below 4000 rpm.

:-)

Lets hope they make 3IS best ever.
Old 12-07-12, 08:46 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 476 Likes on 314 Posts

I'm not sure if the 4GS's DRS active rear wheel steering will improve the new 3IS's turn in.
From what I remember, most cars these days have passive automatically deformable rear suspension bushings for passive 0.5 degree rear wheel same direction parallel steering, to improve rear end stability, and prevent fish tailing.
The the 4GS's DRS active rear wheel steering, there are electronic sensors, a hydraulic actuator, and up to 1.5 degrees of same direction parallel rear wheel steering to enhance rear end stability even further.
The smaller, lighter and much shorter 3IS won't need active rear wheel steering as much as the bigger, longer 4GS for tail end stability, so I'm not sure whether it'll have to have the 4GS's DRS.

It is very possible that the 3.5 litre block may upset the IS's size and weight more than the 4GS.
The sweetest engine size for the IS is perhaps 2.5 liters.

The greatest handling compact sedan ever, is perhaps the old 1999-2006 IS200 2.0 in-line six; it weighed just 1350-1420 kg, and it had steering feel, turn-in, skid pan terminal grip, and at the limit characteristics like no other car, but then the IS200 was very small, and lightweight.
The past is the past, so there is little point of talking about the old 1999-2006 IS any further.
Ditto the old superseded 2006-12 3 Series.
Likewise little point in talking about how competent the old 3 Series' handling was.
IMO, however much understeer the old 2006-13 2IS250 had, I thought it still handled sharper, with more terminal grip than the old 3 Series, but the old 3 Series did have more space, and ride better - so its horses for courses.

The present is what counts most.
The present 3 Series has really uncharacteristically dropped its guard resulting in a car with surprising floatiness and insecurity - the present 3 Series is just begging for competitors to deck it!
Now, will the next 3IS take advantage of the 3 Series' muff up, and blitz the market?
Or will the next 3IS be a wasted opportunity?
Failing to deck the 3 Series after the 3 Series dropped its guard?
It's too early to adjudicate; only time will tell.

Hopefully the next IS will be stylish, with more interior space, a softer ride, hence naturally less sharp handling, but as long as the handling/ride balance still matches the present C Class, and is not overtly ponderous and loose like the new 3 Series.

If the front end could really look like this, I'd be a ripper.

However, make no mistake, the 3IS has a huge job ahead of itself, for the German competitors are consistently stunning in styling, while Lexus has a weakness with styling, and often Lexus fails to capitalise on big opportunities. Only time will tell...

Last edited by peteharvey; 12-07-12 at 10:37 PM.
Old 12-07-12, 10:59 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by peteharvey

However, make no mistake, the 3IS has a huge job ahead of itself, for the German competitors are consistently stunning in styling, while Lexus has a weakness with styling, and often Lexus fails to capitalise on big opportunities. Only time will tell...
The concept is nice, but this front end:

on this body:

Is not all that spectacular.

When I look at the LF-CC and LF-LC I do not see Lexus struggling with styling. I think the new design direction has been a bit forced on the early renditions like the 4GS and refreshed LS, but I can see it looking very good moving forward and starting with the 3IS.

I love the fluid form language.

Last edited by Mr. Burns; 12-07-12 at 11:05 PM.
Old 12-07-12, 11:54 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 168 Likes on 100 Posts

I'm no expert or autocross connoisseur , but from the two Taste of Lexus events I attended, I felt the IS250 handled much better than the IS350. Driving them back to back several times made it easy to see. Obviously there's the weight factor, which I'm guessing is enough to make the different. I recall the front end plowing with the 350 and the rear end sliding out with the 250. No doubt this pattern could pass over to the 3IS.
Old 12-08-12, 01:01 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts

The key to the new IS is to make the IS350 handle more like the IS250 and to mitigate the increased weight of the 3.5L engine as much as possible.
Old 12-08-12, 02:12 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
I'm no expert or autocross connoisseur , but from the two Taste of Lexus events I attended, I felt the IS250 handled much better than the IS350. Driving them back to back several times made it easy to see. Obviously there's the weight factor, which I'm guessing is enough to make the different. I recall the front end plowing with the 350 and the rear end sliding out with the 250. No doubt this pattern could pass over to the 3IS.
and plus i bet less power made it easier to handle on the autox.
Old 12-08-12, 06:03 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

autocross is not about power first of all. V6 mustangs will beat V8 mustangs on autocross
Old 12-08-12, 08:03 AM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Give or take 36 days, until the unveiling
Old 12-08-12, 11:28 AM
pman6
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
japanese review:
http://car.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/...05_577250.html

few things i understood:
- hybrid has 50:50 weight distribution
- rear bench foldable in all models as batteries are under the trunk.
- brakes have excellent control/feel

so lexus will finally start putting in foldable benches in its cars ??!

i wish rear seats could fold absolutely flat too.
Old 12-08-12, 11:42 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by pman6
so lexus will finally start putting in foldable benches in its cars ??!

i wish rear seats could fold absolutely flat too.
usually toyota has best folding seats... its 60:40 too.
Old 12-08-12, 01:30 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

http://car.watch.impress.co.jp/img/c...l/i09.jpg.html
Translation:

Lexus "IS" (preceding prototype)
(2012/12/5 02:00)

Lexus offensive has continued into 2012. Promote a unified image of Lexus models by installing spindle grille "RX" Big and minor, a full model change, "LS" for "GS", feel strongly that the Lexus has finally entered the second generation.

I could hear the voice of debut full model change of the "IS" and was at the same time as GS. I had the opportunity to ride in the preceding prototype production model in such new IS. It is said that the world premiere of the new IS the Detroit show in 2013, because it seems to be a fairly destination on sale in any case, is the prototype of a very early stage, but it's a valuable experience.

Focus line-up, the driving dynamics hybrid

And briefly discussed the outline of the new IS, the platform used for the IS to arrange a short wheelbase, the GS for a new generation.

The three types of engine. Instead of diesel in the European market, etc., and a six-cylinder 2.5-liter V-GR system and the same as a conventional 3.5-liter, inline four-cylinder hybrid of + 2.5-liter motor is turned on. Of course, this is supposed to be the main models in Japan, but the line-up, which is great attention.

Transmission, AT 8-speed long-awaited is mounted on the 3.5-liter model. This is something that has been proven to be adopted also to arrange, "IS F" one that is also used for LS. AT is the 2.5-liter 6-speed CVT with a planetary gear hybrid will be a matter of course.

Force in there this time most driving dynamics. In order to achieve a good operation feeling can be, it is substantially rigid in order to up body. Foundation is wobbly suspension with the best will in the world is not no children yuan. Body, but there is a sense of unity to the current IS firmly, it is something that will improve further.

For increased rigidity, while at the same time significantly increasing the place of conventional spot welding, are narrow intervals of RBI. The same as the LS method and laser welding screw at the same time, I'm also increase the length.

In addition, it incorporates a weld bond will be the first new Lexus. Has been incorporated in the European car bonding welding has been used intensively in the vicinity of the opening, such as around doors and rear wheel arches, which is connected to a rigid body up significantly.

Production technology is an important point. Adopted to improve the production technology are Takagi of reliability that we have developed so far, Lexus / Toyota tend to be cautious about new technology. Reliability and effectiveness has been confirmed, but actively incorporated. Are being studied carefully this time, and decided to adopt a stretch to see the effect its production sites.

Suspension is a double wishbone 4-wheel the same as current type what format are the stiffness of the stabilizer has increased by 20% in that the front will review the alignment shift out of the attachment point of the stabilizer from the current type further .

The rear suspension has been revised significantly in relation to that use the platform of the GS. The specific point is to separate type spring / damper moved from the front to the rear toe control arm, was integrated. Even more than the ground of this, I have contributed to the expansion of the trunk to be able to reduce the suspension tower.

For communication with the driver is aimed at new IS was also redesigned the steering system. Begin to change the gear ratio, change the structure of ball screw, a rigid support such as up, and the drive to achieve a pleasant feel to achieve a smooth steering feel.

Grade deployment but undecided, did test drive in the "F-SPORT" grade all sports, spring, and damper model is different from the conventional.

Improve livability in larger body size

Became the test course gymkhana course is set up in a parking lot in the Los Angeles suburb of North America. It is a winding road that is located on Route 39 and the freeway.

IS was waiting on a test course has been camouflaged by scrollwork example, details of the design is unknown, but I know at first glance at the image of muscular inherited the IS current type, the Lexus new generation of Parts with a unique accent to emphasize that it enters. Wedge line to enter the rear part of the body side is pretty intense, but also impressive shape headlamps lightning type spindle front grille is further increased, it has to fit into.

4660mm in length has been stretched 75mm, 70mm size is 2800mm which extends the wheel base to match it.

Minutes of the extension of the full-length 75mm, 5mm minutes are devoted to the front overhang. Minute extension of the wheelbase of 70mm, 50mm has imparted to the rear seat leg room, work out the expansion of 95mm to thin the shape of the seat back, the rear seat rear seat living environment has been greatly improved further .

Width is also spread in the luggage compartment of the platform change, volume has been increasing by the way. Nickel-metal hydride batteries for hybrid because it is buried below the trunk, it is to ensure the trunk with a depth in the hybrid. Became a full-width 1812mm 12mm is slightly larger.

Camouflage has been affixed to the interior as well where the tape is reached, a sense of unity and cockpit driver does not change. for the driver's seat is lowered 20mm from the current type, steering angle was raised three times, I now take the driving position around the shoulder and spacious while still tight. Increase the size of the sheet. There is a sense of strong hold becomes concave shape, the passenger is a good addition.

Meter is the inheritance LFA. Has become a tachometer slide-in F-SPORT, it's a little Kokoronikui production. Red zone begins at 6500rpm. ECO indicator has been placed in the hybrid, and switch to the tachometer to select the SPORT mode.

Drive feel that I have become supple

It will be a major operation in the gymkhana course, to leave the impression on public roads, where delicate here will enjoy driving.

Accustomed to the type of the current IS250 foot in first, got into the cockpit of the "250" new. Change from the current type and quick turn while the rear will be drawn along sometimes, I feel the difference of the steering feel suddenly moist. Atmosphere to change the nose straight in quick when you turn off the steering is quite different from the current type, but it's supple.

Against the current type when the rear there is a violent, by the accelerator work is suddenly in the grip of the rear high tight corners. In the scene, such as the front roll big, but received the ring feeling like on the diagonal bracing in the side after a four-wheel, except it's sporty straightforward. Have markedly improved performance trace line.

The same as the current model for the power train, in terms of acceleration, but should not change, because it provides a sound generator, air intake sound pleasant contains the driver, feel strong and powerful. Comfortable in terms of sound. This is true even emit of 350, a pleasant sound. It's a good sound tuning.

The brakes are excellent in control is a feature. There is a sense of security since it is less braking force change in the attitude of the rear and at the same time stable.

"350" is interesting if there is truly power. Result in cross-ratio as a result of AT for 8-speed acceleration force is common but the engine, fast acceleration is possible.

Now choose to adopt from "CT" to "SPORT" mode of "Drive Mode Select." VGRS (Variable Gear Ratio Steering: variable steering gear ratio) is more quick, Slice is sharp. So keep a higher initials of AVS (Adaptive Variable Suspension system) Furthermore, there is little role when the steering, postural stability increases. Since AVS automatically adjusts the damping force in response to changes in posture, so that a stable position is maintained always as a base.

I tried to drift so as to induce a tail slide to cut all the (Vehicle Dynamics Integrated Management) VDIM to trial, or have been kept well contact shape of the tire grip on the rear, trying to accelerator turn I enjoyed the slide control is stable. Rather than a quick slide of the current type, is driving the margin where possible and work is very impressive in the steering control of the accelerator. Is normally not to use such, it is just good to see the potential of the basic chassis.

Setting a strong understeer characteristics are closer to the neutral steer a little more prone to driving. Grip on the front, but it is not never low, there is a feeling too strong in the prototype rear. Characteristics before and after the roll is well balanced.

Considering the high potential prototype

Called the "300h" hybrid, the hybrid powertrain is a 4-cylinder 2.5 liter + as described above. And after riding it to 350, but there is no specific punch is continuous acceleration CVT, speed and Surusuru grows. In D4S direct injection of Atkinson cycle, the engine employs a high-capacity EGR cool. Here is a recent staple of Toyota hybrid. But into low-friction engine fuel consumption-oriented, such as lighter crankshaft, feel the speed is imperceptibly ride is not bad.

I have demonstrated the ability surprising in a corner. 250/350 as a FR car while going on to an average value at 53:47, in order to have gained a nickel-metal hydride hybrid battery in the trunk of the rear, the weight distribution is 50:50 hybrid has become. In turn will respond obediently to the accelerator for this work, feeling good cornering stability and high mid-speed range.

The field after the gymkhana, toward freeway, the winding road from the city center. The weather of rain occasionally, but there was no air in the dry California seems Unfortunately, embark on a new car it's fresh.

While enjoying quietness and Lexus seems unique prototype, a sense of protection around the steering rudder neutral is not too tight, is cruising on the freeway. Dodging me lightly but also strong at the seams freeway and road-specific groove, there is the stiffer suspension, shock is small, almost do not feel taken handle is preferred.

In terms of ride comfort, on the motion of the spring has been fixed, with little pitching is preferable. Pushed up from the rear, the movement is restricted to unsteady steps. Since the smooth movement of the unsprung, I'm not bouncing. Ride quality is born from this feature.

But one-lane winding course from corner to corner tight loose, do not enter into force at the beginning of the shoulder cut of the handle of the trace line, and also Better is better. Operation to be fun.

When you select the manual mode shift, more than two-speed, four-speed to lock up more than in 250, during deceleration match the number of revolutions of the engine do the blipping of 350. When you shift down in front of the corner, because it controls the speed of using the engine brake while cornering, easy driving.

It is equipped with a lateral G to detect especially when SPORT mode of 350, do fine when cornering speed and control "(SPORT DIRECT SHIFT) 8 SPEED SPDI", is suitable for sporty driving further. Stable posture for a stable driving force can be obtained during cornering.

In summary, such as steering and smooth, comfortable ride quality and quietness, he was that IS had said quite a potential prototype.

I think and where I personally want to relax a little more in the corners tight understeer is of such strengthened a little, but the point, such as Ri Vivi the floor of the hybrid model was worried about, the potential is quite high considering the professional type.

Test drive in the model without swirl I'm looking forward to.

URL

Lexus
http://lexus.jp/
Old 12-08-12, 01:41 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Hmmm, not sure if 3IS will be successful?
They may fail to capitalise on the mess that BMW has made with their ponderous loose handling 3 Series?

Nice to see new 3IS has sweeping central console that is parallel to door arm rests.

However, their new sat nav control is gone? Replace by BM copy jog dial?
With a fussy cheap looking oddments tray version of a Benz forearm rest behind the jog dial?

New 3IS doesn't look as smooth and slick inside as I would have hoped.
Hopefully it delivers on the outside, and in the drive...
Old 12-08-12, 01:48 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Here is simple, clean, smooth, slick looking 1978 Porsche 928 interior styling.
The secret is to use few panels, few joins, as well as smooth panels, and smooth joins.
I was hoping the 3IS would look more like a 2013 version of this, but they did get the parallel central console to door arm rests right.

The closest modern day interior to that 1978 Porsche, is this BMW 6 Series interior:

So simple, with few panels, few joins, smooth panels and joins, such stylish lines, not to mention modern colors.
Having fewer panels is not only cheaper to manufacture, but also cheaper assembly costs, and more rigid a design.

With an interior similar to this, the 3IS and 4GS would quite simply decimate the competition.
We're looking for that knock out punch from Lexus...

Last edited by peteharvey; 12-08-12 at 03:26 PM.

Quick Reply: The 2014 Lexus IS is expected to make its official debut at the 2013 NAIAS in Detroit