IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

The 2014 Lexus IS is expected to make its official debut at the 2013 NAIAS in Detroit

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-12, 11:00 PM
daelo74
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
I'm hoping lexus retains those lcd touch panels for the lf-cc.... the only reason I'm holding out for this.

Please help me understand that after 64 pages on the IS you type this?
First of all, the interior so far looks great, a cross between the CT200h and Lf-a. But the styling even though covered has the look of the current one and with that grill, looks like the new Nissan Altima. Waiting for the LF-CC though.
Old 12-10-12, 11:33 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by viperabyss
Please forgive me if this has been posted, but here is some more detail about the upcoming hybrid variant of IS.

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/...t-luxury-sedan
I believe that it has been mentioned here already, but still thank you because some people might be lazy to read through 60+ pages.
Old 12-10-12, 11:35 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by daelo74
First of all, the interior so far looks great, a cross between the CT200h and Lf-a. But the styling even though covered has the look of the current one and with that grill, looks like the new Nissan Altima. Waiting for the LF-CC though.
Yes, This camo-ed looks like Altima camo-ed car... and camo-ed Accord, Corolla and Camry.
Old 12-11-12, 01:55 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 155 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by peteharvey
The 3GS, RX and LS below look nothing like a Toyota, and they all sell at least relatively better amongst their peers than the new 4GS; there is no way the new 4GS can total 33,457 units in the USA within the next 2 weeks like the 3GS in 2005, and yet E Classes, 5 Series, and RX's are selling as well as ever.
Its the product.
Not the discounts, or the leasing, or the advertising, or the economy.
The most important factor is the product itself.

The RX's sat nav is wonderfully integrated into its dashboard, and that contributes/helps it to become top seller below...
well, honestly, if you think that RX is 5ES is what Lexus should be like, then I cant agree with you whatsoever.

GS and RX interiors can not compare, but not in the way you think :-).

I am sue you have have actually sat and used GS interior right? Since you cant be thinking RX is example Lexus while GS isnt, if you ever sat in one.... pretty unbelievable.

GS is everything Lexus should be, and RX is opposite of that.

Last edited by spwolf; 12-11-12 at 01:58 AM.
Old 12-11-12, 02:42 AM
cino
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by spwolf
well, honestly, if you think that RX is 5ES is what Lexus should be like, then I cant agree with you whatsoever.

I am sue you have have actually sat and used GS interior right? Since you cant be thinking RX is example Lexus while GS isnt, if you ever sat in one.... pretty unbelievable.

Never got a chance to fit in the new one, but I spent plenty of time with the old 460. Inside is a bit tight for mid-size, but very well-made. Pre-MMC RX is like more upscale Highlander. I don't know about the refreshed 2013.
Old 12-11-12, 02:55 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 155 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by cino
Never got a chance to fit in the new one, but I spent plenty of time with the old 460. Inside is a bit tight for mid-size, but very well-made. Pre-MMC RX is like more upscale Highlander. I don't know about the refreshed 2013.
well, 2013 is exactly like you say (H), while 4GS is 2x better than 3GS... so the gulf is huge.
Old 12-11-12, 06:53 AM
EthanV
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They also need o change the exaust pipes to be sportier looking. The interior I think they will add the Trim - Annodized Aluminum ( some type same as current is f for the f sport version ). I had check out the thread 2014 rlx they got standard 3.5 with 310 horses power but not mention the 3.7 version yet. I bet the 310 horse 3.5 (base)for the TLX is what they will be put on for the next year redesign TL.. The 3.7 will get more power .Bmw 3 convertible got 320 horses. I Wonder if the IS gonna get a killer engine to surpass most of the competitors in the next few year.
Old 12-11-12, 08:12 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts

Spywolf, like I said.

Peteharvey : different planet. He's got all the right to his own opinion BUT different planet lol.
Old 12-11-12, 10:25 AM
mrraider
Pole Position

Are people *****ing about the ride on the IS? Go drive a GTI and you'll see what firm is. Hell even a Buick Regal is stiffer.
Old 12-11-12, 11:56 AM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 457 Likes on 302 Posts

Be careful, there is a difference between the "interior" versus the "interior styling".
The interior styling is just the interior looks only.
The interior is a broader category that includes the quality of the materials used, and the quality of manufacture and assembly etc.

So yes, the interior of the GS, and even the interior of the IS is superior to the RX SUV.
The GS in particular has more expensive plastics, more expensive leather and superior quality stitching.
Even the IS has very good plastics, leather, and quality stitching - almost as good as the GS.
The RX naturally has the cheapest plastics, cheaper leather, and somewhat crooked stitching from my recent memory.
Old 12-11-12, 12:02 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 457 Likes on 302 Posts

Originally Posted by natnut
Spywolf, like I said.

Peteharvey : different planet. He's got all the right to his own opinion BUT different planet lol.
We have to learn to be positive and be constructive.
This is a Lexus Forum, so we talk about the car - the 3IS.
When you talk about the 3IS, you are naturally voicing your opinions; that's normal.

This is not a Personal Forum - so please try to refrain from talking about other forum members.
Talk about the car - the 3IS.
We should also all refrain from talking about other people's opinions too.

We should be constructive and focus on voicing our own opinions on the car!!!
For example, you might voice that you don't like the extremely positive rake of the lower portion of the new 3IS dashboard, as it really is angled towards the driver's, and you prefer the negative rake of the 4GS dash etc etc...

Last edited by peteharvey; 12-11-12 at 01:35 PM.
Old 12-11-12, 01:53 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,350 Likes on 1,540 Posts

that new IS interior is really nicely laid out even in camo, so i'm very optimistic about it!
Old 12-11-12, 02:44 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
that new IS interior is really nicely laid out even in camo, so i'm very optimistic about it!
True that. The interior design is heavily influenced by LF-CC from what I see. I'm very happy with that, and I'm also happy they use sensor touch for temperature control.
Old 12-11-12, 05:01 PM
viperabyss
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mrraider
Are people *****ing about the ride on the IS? Go drive a GTI and you'll see what firm is. Hell even a Buick Regal is stiffer.
IS is a tad firm, I have to say. I'd put it on the same level as a CTS-V. Honestly though I haven't sat in a GTI.

And don't get me started on the IS-F. I thought that car didn't have any shock absorbers.
Old 12-11-12, 07:19 PM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by peteharvey
We have to learn to be positive and be constructive.
This is a Lexus Forum, so we talk about the car - the 3IS.
When you talk about the 3IS, you are naturally voicing your opinions; that's normal.

This is not a Personal Forum - so please try to refrain from talking
about other forum members.

Talk about the car - the 3IS.
We should also all refrain from talking about other people's opinions too.

We should be constructive and focus on voicing our own opinions
on the car!!!

For example, you might voice that you don't like the extremely
positive rake of the lower portion of the new 3IS dashboard, as it
really is angled towards the driver's, and you prefer the negative rake
of the 4GS dash etc etc...

[IMG]http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/cc381/peterharvey73/
i09.jpg[/IMG]
Sorry but your opinions on the matter of the new Lexus interiors are akin to the Emperor's New Clothes. You prattle on and on about supposed deficiencies about the new interiors talking about them as FACTS when in reality these "observations" of yours are just your own extremely skewed OPINIONS.

Just one example : you talk repeatedly about the unnecessary lines and clutteredness of the 4GS interior especially in comparison to the 6 series when it is patently obvious to the most casual disinterested observer that the reverse is true.

Saying the same old extreme views again and again in multiple consecutive posts does not make them any more valid or true. Nor does couching them in pseudo-factual or pseudo-intellectual terms make those statements any less bizarre or wtf.

Last edited by natnut; 12-11-12 at 07:25 PM.

Quick Reply: The 2014 Lexus IS is expected to make its official debut at the 2013 NAIAS in Detroit