IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

The 2014 Lexus IS is expected to make its official debut at the 2013 NAIAS in Detroit

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-12, 08:00 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 458 Likes on 303 Posts

Originally Posted by peteharvey
The original 1999-2006 1IS had conventional hydraulic power steering.
My 2006-2013 2IS has electric power steering - it's a bit devoid of feeling, but they have significantly improved the feel of the electric power steering in the new 4GS...
Originally Posted by bitkahuna
have never understood what that means. what feeling are you looking for?
Ooh, that's one of those things easy to think of and understand, but very difficult to put into words.

I presently still have my 2001 Benz C240 2.6 90 degree V6.
I also have the 2006 IS250 2.5 60 degree V6.

The Benz is superb in "feedback".
The Lexus is superb in isolation.

The old Benz steering, you can feel the difference between dry tarmac, and an oil slick.
The IS is more isolated, and you can't feel the difference in resistance, from dry tarmac to an oil slick as much.
Less feedback if you'd like to say.
It's a sensation that is easy to feel, but difficult to describe.

The steering feel should not be confused with steering turn-in/response/agility/speed.
The old C Class does not turn in as quickly or sharply, for slower changes in direction.
The old IS250 has very quick and sharp turn in, for very quick changes in direction.
The old IS is firmer, flatter, quicker, and more isolated overall, but the old C Class is softer, more roll, longer suspension travel, and slower to turn-in and less terminal grip, but has more steering feel/feedback.

My 2009 3GS 1st generation electric steering has a very anesthetized feel. It lacks even more feel [feedback] than my IS250, and it really really lacks the quick turn-in/agility of my IS250 as well.
The old 3GS also has 8-stage automatically variable dampers, which gives it an artificial sort of feel, because often it would go hard all of a sudden due to a bump or rapid steering/braking input etc, and it could not be totally switched off.

The new 4GS has much better steering feel [feedback] than the 3GS, and is much quicker than the 3GS in changes in direction as well...

Last edited by peteharvey; 12-16-12 at 08:35 PM.
Old 12-16-12, 08:35 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ooh, that's one of those things easy to think of and understand, but very difficult to put into words.

The old Benz steering, you can feel the difference between dry tarmac, and an oil slick.
The IS is more isolated, and you can't feel the difference in resistance, from dry tarmac to an oil slick as much.

The steering feel should not be confused with steering turn-in/response/agility/speed.
The old C Class does not turn in as quickly or sharply, for slower changes in direction.
The old IS250 has very quick and sharp turn in, for very quick changes in direction.
The old IS is firmer, quicker, and more isolated overall, but the old C Class is softer, more roll, longer suspension travel, and slower to turn-in and less terminal grip, but has more steering feel/feedback.

My 2009 3GS 1st generation electric steering has a very anesthetized feel. It lacks even more feel [feedback] than my IS250, and it really really lacks the quick turn-in/agility of my IS250 as well.

The new 4GS has much better steering feel [feedback] than the 3GS, and is much quicker than the 3GS in changes in direction as well...
2011+ MY has different steering feel, I have 2006, and I drove 2011 for a week.
Old 12-16-12, 10:43 PM
maz
Lead Lap

Guy in the video said engines put out about 250kw.
250 kilowatts = 335 horsepower

So if it is the same engine as before, its tuned up a bit.
Old 12-16-12, 11:23 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by maz

In Jay Leno video, he said the engine was 306hp.
Old 12-17-12, 12:10 AM
dmvp29
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by maz

He said 230 KW....

Not sure how you misinterpreted that as "250"

230 KW = 308 HP, but he said "about 230 KW" so clearly he was just rounding to a nice, whole number.

The 3.5L still puts out 306 HP.
Old 12-17-12, 12:14 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

and 3IS head engineer already said they improved on 4GS setup...
Old 12-17-12, 01:11 AM
joshthorsc
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I definitely like the the interior. Just wished the motors get a few hp bump.
Old 12-17-12, 02:11 PM
Syan48306
Rookie

Received 19 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cino
The guy in the video said the engines are new, but they are actually carried over.
While that is true, the car that he drove was a hybrid model. If you notice, it's got the charge, eco, power setting when he flashed through the cluster gauge.
Attached Thumbnails The 2014 Lexus IS is expected to make its official debut at the 2013 NAIAS in Detroit-untitled.png  
Old 12-17-12, 02:19 PM
LexFather

The old IS is firmer, flatter, quicker, and more isolated overall, but the old C Class is softer, more roll, longer suspension travel, and slower to turn-in and less terminal grip, but has more steering feel/feedback.

The old 3GS also has 8-stage automatically variable dampers, which gives it an artificial sort of feel, because often it would go hard all of a sudden due to a bump or rapid steering/braking input etc, and it could not be totally switched off.

I've driven that year C-class and it has no feedback nor is it sporty and reviews were not glowing with praise. I agree with 3GS feedback, only at some rare times does the feedback come back right. The IS is better but there is a loss of feel before it seems the steering realizes you want to feel something. The IS 300 had great steering but that is a much older car with older tech.

Everything is electronic, even Porsche/BMW etc.... and they all offer less feel. The FRS though, now that is one great steering car.

Old 12-17-12, 04:41 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Syan48306
While that is true, the car that he drove was a hybrid model. If you notice, it's got the charge, eco, power setting when he flashed through the cluster gauge.
that looks really nice... i cant wait to see it in action...
Old 12-17-12, 04:53 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,407 Likes on 1,578 Posts

i think when you referred to feedback in that last sentence, i got what you're talking about. old-school hybraulic manual or power steering gives feedback in the sense of resistance to turning and resistance due to the surface texture/bumps/slopes/changes. an electric setup has to simulate that i guess.
Old 12-17-12, 05:24 PM
Individual
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Syan48306
Plus the 647 miles range , that's like twice the range of mine.
Old 12-17-12, 06:38 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

i think when you referred to feedback in that last sentence, i got what you're talking about. old-school hybraulic manual or power steering gives feedback in the sense of resistance to turning and resistance due to the surface texture/bumps/slopes/changes. an electric setup has to simulate that i guess.
it is still connected to the road just differently.... they use some special parts so you can feel that connection, whole new art in it. But there is quite difference in system from FRS, which lets you feel the road and G2 Prius which was made so you feel... nothing.
Old 12-18-12, 01:27 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 458 Likes on 303 Posts

Originally Posted by Blueprint
I've driven that year C-class and it has no feedback nor is it sporty and reviews were not glowing with praise. I agree with 3GS feedback, only at some rare times does the feedback come back right. The IS is better but there is a loss of feel before it seems the steering realizes you want to feel something. The IS 300 had great steering but that is a much older car with older tech.

Everything is electronic, even Porsche/BMW etc.... and they all offer less feel. The FRS though, now that is one great steering car.
Originally Posted by spwolf
it is still connected to the road just differently.... they use some special parts so you can feel that connection, whole new art in it. But there is quite difference in system from FRS, which lets you feel the road and G2 Prius which was made so you feel... nothing.
The 1999-2005 1IS200 in Europe, and the 2000-2005 1IS300 in the US was one of the finest hydraulically assisted steering around - with a tiny steering wheel, so lightweight, so direct and fast in gearing, and there was so little self centering on exit out of the corner.
I thought the first IS was the sedan equivalent of a Mazda MX-5 Miata - almost like a toy, but the first IS was too small and firmly suspended for ordinary drivers.
The first generation IS was great for a Sunday drive.

I guess the first generation electrically assisted steering in the 2005-12 3GS and the 2006-13 2IS is a bit like a "video arcade" game steering wheel, with almost constant weighting, but that has no actual bearing on the agility or terminal grip on the skid pan.
For example, although the old 3GS was often criticized for numb steering, its low height and short suspension travel kept it flat so that it pulled something like 0.85g on the skidpan, which was better than the equivalent Benz E Class of 2002-2009!

However the 2nd generation electrically-assisted steering in the 2012 4GS has certainly improved, and no doubt the 2013 3IS could be even better, just like the 1 year improvement in the 2012 4GS's 3.5 with 6 speed auto, to the 2013 3IS's 3.5 with an 8 speed auto gearbox, and the new 2012 4GS 2.5 overseas definitely feels as though it has much more bottom end torque than my 2006 IS250, however I'm not sure I like the new engine roar under acceleration, although when cruising along the highway, the new 4GS is actually quieter than my old 3GS...

Last edited by peteharvey; 12-18-12 at 02:01 PM.
Old 12-19-12, 06:46 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by joshthorsc
I definitely like the the interior. Just wished the motors get a few hp bump.
Agreed. Toyota needs to swap over to turbocharging like the rest of the industry is doing.

Quick Reply: The 2014 Lexus IS is expected to make its official debut at the 2013 NAIAS in Detroit