IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

The 2014 Lexus IS is expected to make its official debut at the 2013 NAIAS in Detroit

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-12, 12:11 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ydooby
...The IS really needs a new body, not just a new chassis from the new GS, to be competitive, because its rear passenger room really needs a total body redesign to be brought up to par. Leave the coupe profile to a real coupe I say. 4-door sedans are supposed to seat 4 adults in reasonable comfort, and not being to do so is the biggest weakness in the current (and the 1st) generation of the IS IMHO. A new powertrain/drivetrain would be nice but isn't as imminently necessary as a new body design and packaging.
I will have to disagree with you here. very respectfully I might add.

The IS is designed for the young entry level lux buyer, a typical couple with at most couple of babies. It has been the best seller in that and no reason to change it. Mazda changed the 2003 Mazda6 to be larger based upon vocal feedback such as yours and Mazda did not listen to the folks who did not ask for it. The sales number drop of the current Mazda6 speaks for themselves.

The GS is the step up if you want a couple with 2 teen/adult kids in the back seat.

The ES is the setup if you want to just use the car as a fill-it-up with bodies.
Old 08-07-12, 12:18 PM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Valid point but both the new generations of the GS and ES also had leg room increases. Hence, I expect a next-generation IS to follow in that same approach as well
Old 08-07-12, 12:22 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Slight legroom increases. Yes. But nothing that will make it comfortable for 2 adults back there. Maybe 2 teens will be comfortable.
Old 08-07-12, 12:35 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chikoo
I will have to disagree with you here. very respectfully I might add.

The IS is designed for the young entry level lux buyer, a typical couple with at most couple of babies. It has been the best seller in that and no reason to change it. Mazda changed the 2003 Mazda6 to be larger based upon vocal feedback such as yours and Mazda did not listen to the folks who did not ask for it. The sales number drop of the current Mazda6 speaks for themselves.

The GS is the step up if you want a couple with 2 teen/adult kids in the back seat.

The ES is the setup if you want to just use the car as a fill-it-up with bodies.
All I can tell you is that the IS has lost many sales to the 3-series for this very reason alone because it happened around me for several times already, be it the E46 or the E90 (don't know about the F30 but I'm sure it's not less spacious). If the main competition offers such flexibility and Lexus doesn't, then it's Lexus's problem because they've excluded themselves from being considered by those who have needs to travel with friends occasionally but don't want to give up sporty driving and can't afford the GS just yet. I've ridden in the right backseats (not behind the driver) of both the IS250 and the E46 330i for extended trips and the one in the IS was a much more uncomfortable experience and I'm rather average in stature at 5'10".

Last edited by ydooby; 08-07-12 at 12:43 PM.
Old 08-07-12, 12:39 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^Agree. The IS needs to add a few inches behind the front seats, pretty badly. The rear seats are almost unusable for anyone over 5'6" with a normal person sitting in the front seat.
Old 08-07-12, 12:43 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

IS chassis is just a shortened GS chassis, so since we have a new GS we should get a new IS body. If the GS gained this much in handling and is this sporty now, the IS should be even moreso
Old 08-07-12, 12:51 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

even an inch more would be very helpful... so would carving out of back of the seats. I am sure they can optimize it better.

We went for UEFA 2012 to Poland - 2500 miles all together, 4 of us in my IS220d and it was barely possible. We were big guys too.... But I think even few inches would do wonders...
Old 08-07-12, 01:11 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

cool, thanks for the update hoovey.

and PEOPLE. please stop posting pictures that are way too big.
Old 08-07-12, 01:40 PM
NewSpace
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Hoovey - thank for all the info! Any thoughts or insights on how the IS F might evolve? Not the F Sport but the actual F Performance Vehicle?
Old 08-07-12, 01:46 PM
marshall2j
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the info. Wife and I were looking at IS350s and if we stretched the budget, IS-F, but looks like were gonna wait a few more months. Would love to get a cheaper IS350 when the new gen comes out!
Old 08-07-12, 01:50 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

the GS didn't grow any exterior but better use of space for more rear cabin space. i hope they can do the same on the IS. but yes, IS needs to improve on space, otherwise it's completely stupid to have 4 doors, let alone losing to 3 and c so badly on rear space
Old 08-07-12, 04:13 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rominl
the GS didn't grow any exterior but better use of space for more rear cabin space. i hope they can do the same on the IS. but yes, IS needs to improve on space, otherwise it's completely stupid to have 4 doors, let alone losing to 3 and c so badly on rear space
its good for kids, like for me... but once in a month I might need more than 2 adults space so it really would be good to have it more optimized. Those front seats are huge and have a nice seating position, so I hope they dont mess too much with that.
Old 08-07-12, 05:09 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by cino
Hey Hoovey, thanks for the insightful info. Does the 3IS look bigger to you? and does it look bloated like non f-sport?
Honestly not too much bigger. I personally believe it utilizes space better just like the 4GS does while still retaining basically the same size and weight.

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
I almost don't want it to look good. The second this car bows, our 2IS's will officially be yesterday's news and the itch to have a new one begins. I've said it a million times to myeslf, "hold on to a car for once and save money." But once a new model debuts, that idea always goes out the door. I've been saying this to myself since I first started driving. Thanks a lot Lexus.
Amen. I told myself on September 26th 2008 I would keep her for at least a decade hah. I'm worried

Originally Posted by cmk1
I've probably shown this picture a billion times, but does it look anything like this? This is the only car shown in the Lexus teasers that doesn't match any other spindle grille model that's been unveiled, unless it's a totally different vehicle. I don't believe Lexus would include a fake car in a teaser, so hopefully it was genuine.
You got it.

It was interesting to see how small the upper portion of the spindle grill is. Close to how the current one is.

Originally Posted by ydooby
Thanks for all the info Hoovey. Can you just tell us if based on what you saw whether the "same body" remark from the quote in the OP is true or not. So far from your wording it still kind of sounds like the new IS is going to be a major facelift a la the new LS where the biggest differences are in the front and rear. The IS really needs a new body, not just a new chassis from the new GS, to be competitive, because its rear passenger room really needs a total body redesign to be brought up to par. Leave the coupe profile to a real coupe I say. 4-door sedans are supposed to seat 4 adults in reasonable comfort, and not being to do so is the biggest weakness in the current (and the 1st) generation of the IS IMHO. A new powertrain/drivetrain would be nice but isn't as imminently necessary as a new body design and packaging.
The "slab" feel of the sides remind me of the 2IS, but overall I do think this is a full redesign. Similar to how the 3GS and 4GS share the same kind of green house. Like I mentioned above, I think they will use existing space better utilized like in the 4GS. Which IMO is good because I love the compact ness of my 2IS.

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
Thanks Hoovey
I'm suprised you're not a moderator yet

I'm curious to see what the back will look like...........no accidental cellphone pic???
hah I'd love to unveil it but the consequences just aren't worth it

Originally Posted by NewSpace
Hoovey - thank for all the info! Any thoughts or insights on how the IS F might evolve? Not the F Sport but the actual F Performance Vehicle?
From what I gather, the actual F will soldier on much like the current E90 M3 despite the new 13' F30. At least for about a year and a half after the IS is released.

Yup they just need to utilize space better. Here's a pic from a few years ago when I had to transport wheels and tires. Let me just say that the 2IS trunk is useless..

trunk is pathetic, held 1 tire lmao. 2 wheels front seat, 2 rear, 2 tires rear, 1 tire on my center console

Old 08-07-12, 06:11 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

same here, i think the 350 drive train is still pretty awesome. the 250 though...
yep... and as you know I have been told that 250 will not change, so i doubt 350 will too.

I am interested to see if IS300h actually has 240hp as they told me... what backs it up is that it will be 5k more expensive than 250 in Europe, while we know ES300h is only 2k more than ES350.
but we will see.. personally, for europe, 200hp is more than enough.
Old 08-07-12, 06:13 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Since the back seat and trunk are both small, Lexus should at least offer the option of 60/40 folding rear seats! Lexus always mentions structural rigidity, but I feel like this is their old SUV's are too high for HID's excuse (and now the GX and LX have HID's). If BMW, Mercedes, and Audi can figure out how to have optional folding rear seats on the M3, C63 AMG and RS4, I think the structure can be made stiff enough.

Quick Reply: The 2014 Lexus IS is expected to make its official debut at the 2013 NAIAS in Detroit