IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

You heard it here first.....(again)

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-12, 08:38 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by istarzan
Lexus is never going to truly compete with BMW unless they make manuals.
BMW M, the top of the line models, have stated themselves the cars are not built with SMG in mind, not manuals. They will drop manuals in the future.

Lexus manuals never were great anyway.
Old 10-25-12, 11:11 PM
TripleOcho
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well as everyone knows, the world will be ending in a couple months so can we get some pics?
Old 10-27-12, 09:49 AM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 128 Likes on 85 Posts

COLORS and SIZE ADDED TO POST #5!!
Old 10-27-12, 01:03 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 171 Likes on 102 Posts

I wonder what the two silvers look like: Glacier and Silver Lining. Maybe Glacier has something in it like the former Glacier Frost Mica.
Getting rid of the pearl white for the F-Sport and giving it a true white makes (sport) sense.
Old 10-27-12, 03:17 PM
84Cressida
Lead Lap

So glad Deep Sea Mica is available still. Can you get it on the F-sport?
Old 10-29-12, 02:49 AM
KahnBB6
Forum Moderator

Received 1,252 Likes on 872 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
no, manuals are dead
That's great, but at the current time they actually aren't dead and are quite available in many vehicles. Your post after this one compared a manual transmission to a CD changer and I can't in the slightest understand how a driver control interface has any analagous comparison whatsoever to an entertainment delivery system such as a compact disc.

The supercar industry is using dual clutch manuals and the like because of the reduction in shift times and because interestingly enough, not everyone with a lot of money knows how to drive a three-pedal manual transmission. Considering that supecars today have a lot of competition on the racetrack and that the companies who make them need to sell to as many well heeled buyers as possible, I see nothing wrong with this.

But in sports vehicles that aren't actually race cars one doesn't need to shift in milliseconds, especially in a daily driven car. There, it doesn't matter what the transmission is unless, of course, you have a specific preference for or bias against one or another design.

Manuals have become niche and unsuitable for modern track cars but many people still prefer them in certain types of vehicles. I consider a new car purchase at any price a significant investment and honestly I prefer a manual be it in a Mercedes, BMW, Lexus, Infiniti, etc. Don't offer it and I won't consider it. Some company will sell me what I'm looking for regardless of what manufacturers are touting as market trends, which, generally aren't predicted all that well. Scion figured high school teens (who have no money I might add) would buy the xB, however, middle agers were often the average buyer for that model. If Toyota is that far off with their entry models I doubt they truly understand the comprehensive demographic of people who would buy BMW's.

Manuals will be around for a while yet in certain types of cars.

As for Lexus manuals not being very good... I can't agree regarding the the JZ powered SC. Mega horsepower aside, the W58 transmissions are pretty good. Behind a *stock* IS300 engine I don't think the W55 was snubbed either. I have heard poor things about the 6-speed in the IS250 but some people still wanted it.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 10-29-12 at 03:00 AM.
Old 10-29-12, 10:45 AM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Ultrasonic Blue Mica isn't there Hoovey in your update?!?!
Old 10-29-12, 11:55 AM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
That's great, but at the current time they actually aren't dead and are quite available in many vehicles. Your post after this one compared a manual transmission to a CD changer and I can't in the slightest understand how a driver control interface has any analagous comparison whatsoever to an entertainment delivery system such as a compact disc.

The supercar industry is using dual clutch manuals and the like because of the reduction in shift times and because interestingly enough, not everyone with a lot of money knows how to drive a three-pedal manual transmission. Considering that supecars today have a lot of competition on the racetrack and that the companies who make them need to sell to as many well heeled buyers as possible, I see nothing wrong with this.

But in sports vehicles that aren't actually race cars one doesn't need to shift in milliseconds, especially in a daily driven car. There, it doesn't matter what the transmission is unless, of course, you have a specific preference for or bias against one or another design.

Manuals have become niche and unsuitable for modern track cars but many people still prefer them in certain types of vehicles. I consider a new car purchase at any price a significant investment and honestly I prefer a manual be it in a Mercedes, BMW, Lexus, Infiniti, etc. Don't offer it and I won't consider it. Some company will sell me what I'm looking for regardless of what manufacturers are touting as market trends, which, generally aren't predicted all that well. Scion figured high school teens (who have no money I might add) would buy the xB, however, middle agers were often the average buyer for that model. If Toyota is that far off with their entry models I doubt they truly understand the comprehensive demographic of people who would buy BMW's.

Manuals will be around for a while yet in certain types of cars.

As for Lexus manuals not being very good... I can't agree regarding the the JZ powered SC. Mega horsepower aside, the W58 transmissions are pretty good. Behind a *stock* IS300 engine I don't think the W55 was snubbed either. I have heard poor things about the 6-speed in the IS250 but some people still wanted it.
I think you misunderstood my response to another member. Manuals are dead for Lexus. Other makes will offer them probably for another decade before efficiency standards and cost saving really come into play

Originally Posted by Sango
Ultrasonic Blue Mica isn't there Hoovey in your update?!?!
As of right now I have not seen that color on my 3IS info manifest
Old 10-29-12, 05:53 PM
iRock
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This thread is making me want one
Old 10-29-12, 07:07 PM
WarTiger
Driver School Candidate

Hoovey I have searched this entire thread to no avail but can you speak on whether or not the 3IS has anymore rear leg space and / or more space in general than the 2Is. Thank you!

I knew I shouldn't have held out to much hope for a Manual transmission but still excited for this car!
Old 10-29-12, 09:33 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by WarTiger
Hoovey I have searched this entire thread to no avail but can you speak on whether or not the 3IS has anymore rear leg space and / or more space in general than the 2Is. Thank you!

I knew I shouldn't have held out to much hope for a Manual transmission but still excited for this car!
well the 3.1" longer and 2.8" wheelbase increase should translate to slightly more leg room than the current model.
Old 10-30-12, 01:10 AM
TripleOcho
Driver School Candidate

White with red interior is the one I want!
Old 10-30-12, 08:33 PM
KahnBB6
Forum Moderator

Received 1,252 Likes on 872 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
I think you misunderstood my response to another member. Manuals are dead for Lexus. Other makes will offer them probably for another decade before efficiency standards and cost saving really come into play
Regardless of how nonsensical it is when competing against BMW, you're probably dead on and the new IS official transmission list will probably tell us whether it's going to be now or later that they are completely out for them. Lexus does have an apparent disregard for manuals.

I'd give them a bit more than ten years' time. A couple of weeks ago a niche electric supercar was announced and was driven by either a three-speed or four-speed manual transmission.
Old 10-31-12, 06:05 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
Regardless of how nonsensical it is when competing against BMW, you're probably dead on and the new IS official transmission list will probably tell us whether it's going to be now or later that they are completely out for them. Lexus does have an apparent disregard for manuals.
Not just lexus. Ferrari and Lambo are ditching clutch pedals...Even die hard german brands like Porsche are waking up to the fact that clutch pedals are relics of the previous century (and so are their customers, the vast vast majority of even the models they offer with manuals vs PDKs have single-digit take rates on the clutch pedal version of the car)... a Mercedes Rep recently had this to say about why they're only offering autos in AMG and other cars-

We did have manual transmissions on the C-Class, but nobody really bought them. And I think with the advent of automated dual-clutch transmissions…I hate to say it… but the manual… there’s probably some better thinking that’s involved in what you can do.
10 years tops before they're as rare as virgins after prom night, though BMW will probably be among the last holdouts.
Old 10-31-12, 07:25 AM
Vroomin350
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If that does become the case, sports cars will be dead. I personally think a manual car should always be available.

Quick Reply: You heard it here first.....(again)