IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Welcome to Club Lexus! 3IS owner roll call & member introduction thread, POST HERE!

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-20, 09:06 AM
JamesOne
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
Thanks...should have quoted your post as well in my question.
I'm guessing 235/35 and 275/30?
Both are 30. I didn’t put these on I bought it like that. What would be the advantage to a bigger sidewall on the rears?
Old 04-17-20, 12:05 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,737 Likes on 1,370 Posts

Originally Posted by JamesOne
Both are 30. I didn’t put these on I bought it like that. What would be the advantage to a bigger sidewall on the rears?
In this case I don't think is was really an advantage or disadvantage, just a matter of fitment necessity.
If the front is 235/30/20...then I'm guessing the rim is 20x8.5.
From the pics the rear is definitely wider, so with a 275/30/20, it's probably a 20x10, maybe a 20x9.5.
At those sizes the smallest sidewall you can get is a 30, and to keep the width at a safe size for the rim, your choices would be a 265 or 275.
If it was a 20x9.5 they could have used the 265 no problem, so that's why I'm guessing it's at least a 10.
If everything fits and there's no rubbing, then that's awesome!
The speedo is going to be off a fair bit, but not a huge deal...I'm guessing it's RWD as well, cause the AWD wouldn't like that size difference front to back.
Old 04-19-20, 06:34 AM
ShuffleSk8
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Hello everyone. I just purchased my first Lexus. I've been a long time Acura owner (Integra GSR's, TL) but decided to go another direction this time. I'm glad I did.

2016 Lexus IS300 AWD

I haven't done much to it yet, other than upgrading interior lights to blue LEDS and Carbon Fiber license plate frames.

Looking forward to spending time on this forum! Be safe everyone.

-Matt
The following 2 users liked this post by ShuffleSk8:
Napalvr (04-19-20), ThomasD94 (05-17-20)
Old 04-20-20, 01:51 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,790 Likes on 1,924 Posts

Originally Posted by ShuffleSk8
Hello everyone. I just purchased my first Lexus. I've been a long time Acura owner (Integra GSR's, TL) but decided to go another direction this time. I'm glad I did.

2016 Lexus IS300 AWD

I haven't done much to it yet, other than upgrading interior lights to blue LEDS and Carbon Fiber license plate frames.

Looking forward to spending time on this forum! Be safe everyone.

-Matt
Those blue LEDs are pretty neat. Welcome!

I had a similar carbon fiber plate frame on mine, with the "F" logo at the bottom. However, it got pretty scratched up from rocks and such. I don't think I would put one on the front again, maybe on the rear. Or, just take the scars as trophies of your miles spent in the IS like I did.
The following users liked this post:
ShuffleSk8 (04-20-20)
Old 04-28-20, 11:53 AM
ShuffleSk8
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks!

I worried about a front plate catching debris and getting scratched up as well, but ended up ordering thin clear plate covers, so that should help. Cheap too....
Old 05-16-20, 07:57 PM
vpr
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi All,

I am happy to be part of this community. This weekend I bought a 2016 IS 300 AWD. After driving my 1999 Toyota Camry to the ground at 180,000mi as a poor grad student, I decided I wanted to drive something a bit nicer. I will never leave Toyota, so the logical choice was going to a Lexus. Learned a lot during my negotiations and purchase. I am located in Cambridge, MA, and looking forward to learning more.

Last edited by vpr; 05-16-20 at 08:32 PM.
Old 05-16-20, 08:19 PM
Zoomzoom1
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by vpr
Hi All,

I am happy to be part of this community. This weekend I bought a 2016 IS 300 AWD. After driving my 1999 Toyota Camry to the ground at $180,000 as a poor grad student, I decided I wanted to drive something a bit nicer. I will never leave Toyota, so the logical choice was going to a Lexus. Learned a lot during my negotiations and purchase. I am located in Cambridge, MA, and looking forward to learning more.
Congrats and welcome to CL. I’m from the Boston area as well and bought the same car at the beginning of the year. Would love to see pics of the car
Old 05-16-20, 08:26 PM
vpr
Driver School Candidate

Oh, that's awesome! I have a couple of bad quick pics. I'll post some tomorrow. Its atomic silver with flaxen interiors, base model. This was my priority color combo. Do you have recommendations for a service center/ mechanic/maintenance location?

Edit: A couple of pics I had

Last edited by vpr; 05-16-20 at 08:30 PM.
ThomasD94 (05-17-20)
Old 05-16-20, 09:03 PM
Zoomzoom1
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by vpr
Oh, that's awesome! I have a couple of bad quick pics. I'll post some tomorrow. Its atomic silver with flaxen interiors, base model. This was my priority color combo. Do you have recommendations for a service center/ mechanic/maintenance location?

Edit: A couple of pics I had

The car looks clean! I have been to two Lexus dealerships so far but only for small services, nothing mechanical not even for a routine oil change yet. The one in Northborough and Watertown, both of them were great but I had the best experience in Northborough. That one might be out of the way for you though. If you ever need mechanical work done in the future, I recommend “Triple 5 Motors“ in Quincy, a small local joint run by two former Lexus mechanics. Two very honest mechanics who really cares about their customers and try to help you save money on repairs. When I owned my g35 i had my car serviced there every time and they actually recommended me dropping the Infiniti and look into Lexus. If you need anything else feel free to PM me
Old 05-17-20, 06:25 AM
vpr
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the suggestions. I like the idea of a good local mechanic. Might take it there for a look over one of these weekends.
Old 05-17-20, 06:52 PM
Fig8warren
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Guy NC

Hey! New member here from NC. This is my second Lexus IS 250 that I just bought off a guy 2 days ago. I’ve been in trucks for awhile so decided to switch it up a bit.

Project 1 - You can’t tell as much in this picture, but someone backed into the bumper messing up the paint and plastic some in the front right.(bought it this way) There’s also some severe rock and scrape damage on the bottom of the front bumper that would need repair. After doing some research I bought a painted front IS250 F front bumper and the parts for the grill insert. I also ordered led fog lights made for the F model. I’m thinking I might can wire those into where the factory fogs were on this base model. It seems like the swap should be straight forward, but we’ll see. Any advice appreciated.

Project 2 - I installed an apple car play radio head in my last truck and I’m missing it in this. Connecting my phone is super weird it plays the music on my phone for like a minute before switching to the car audio. Sooooo I ordered this wireless apple car play conversion kit for the IS standard radio head. We’ll see how this works. If it doesn’t I might do the 10.25” android radio head.

Project 3 - The brake upgrade to the is 350 calipers? The previous owner did a shoddy job trying to paint the calipers blue. Got overspray everywhere. I’m taking this as an excuse to maybe upgrade the brake and do a proper paint job on them.

project 4 - suggestions?

Old 05-18-20, 06:58 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by vpr
Hi All,

I am happy to be part of this community. This weekend I bought a 2016 IS 300 AWD. After driving my 1999 Toyota Camry to the ground at 180,000mi as a poor grad student, I decided I wanted to drive something a bit nicer. I will never leave Toyota, so the logical choice was going to a Lexus. Learned a lot during my negotiations and purchase. I am located in Cambridge, MA, and looking forward to learning more.
Originally Posted by Fig8warren
Hey! New member here from NC. This is my second Lexus IS 250 that I just bought off a guy 2 days ago. I’ve been in trucks for awhile so decided to switch it up a bit.
Welcome to the forum to the two new members!!
Old 05-18-20, 07:03 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Project 1 - You can’t tell as much in this picture, but someone backed into the bumper messing up the paint and plastic some in the front right.(bought it this way) There’s also some severe rock and scrape damage on the bottom of the front bumper that would need repair. After doing some research I bought a painted front IS250 F front bumper and the parts for the grill insert. I also ordered led fog lights made for the F model. I’m thinking I might can wire those into where the factory fogs were on this base model. It seems like the swap should be straight forward, but we’ll see. Any advice appreciated.

Project 3 - The brake upgrade to the is 350 calipers? The previous owner did a shoddy job trying to paint the calipers blue. Got overspray everywhere. I’m taking this as an excuse to maybe upgrade the brake and do a proper paint job on them.

project 4 - suggestions?
For project 1 check out the thread by @Noobierice https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...onversion.html
For project 3, to do a proper job you just need the front left and right backing plates, calipers, rotors, pads/shims, and the hardware for the calipers (pin, pin clip, anti-rattle clip). It's a pretty straight forward conversion.
Old 05-18-20, 09:13 AM
jmull3r
Instructor

Received 243 Likes on 145 Posts

Project 2 - I installed an apple car play radio head in my last truck and I’m missing it in this. Connecting my phone is super weird it plays the music on my phone for like a minute before switching to the car audio. Sooooo I ordered this wireless apple car play conversion kit for the IS standard radio head. We’ll see how this works. If it doesn’t I might do the 10.25” android radio head.

project 4 - suggestions?

+1 on the 350 brake conversion. we put my old brakes on my friends 250 and not only do they look better but you obviously get a ton more braking power!
Fig8warren (05-18-20)
Old 05-18-20, 09:33 AM
Fig8warren
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks! Will do

Quick Reply: Welcome to Club Lexus! 3IS owner roll call & member introduction thread, POST HERE!