IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Welcome to Club Lexus! 3IS owner roll call & member introduction thread, POST HERE!

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-24, 03:48 PM
ironbrick
6th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

@arentz07 Good info, and much appreciated. Manufacturers have a habit of supplying sub-par tires with new cars so I'm assuming I'd have to put a better set on early no matter what. I figure I could cheat and install the LCA bushings right before a swap since new tires mean an alignment, anyway. And since I don't mess around with tires, I've kinda convinced myself that I'd rather go RWD. We don't get much snow where I live so I think the lower weight and better driving dynamics of RWD makes more sense. On paper, at least. I'll find out how I like it on Saturday.
Old 02-25-24, 09:14 AM
ironbrick
6th Gear

I drove the RWD IS350 F Sport yesterday morning. I wish the salesman didn't insist on riding along and chatting the entire time, but it is what it is. Weirdly, I think I like the way the 6AT behaves better than the 8AT. The 8-speed seemed like it was doing an awful lot of shuffling gears and bogging down the engine. The 6-speed just did whatever it did in the background, which is what I'd prefer in a little luxury car.

The only concern that I didn't notice on the first test drive is that the seating position is a bit higher than I'd like (6'2" here). I felt like the seat ought to go an inch or two lower but I was already at rock bottom. My head had acceptable clearance to the headliner, but I felt like I was "riding on top of the car." Not sure what that's about, but it wouldn't be the first time ergonomics got in the way of buying a car that I otherwise really like.
Old 02-25-24, 12:13 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,790 Likes on 1,924 Posts

Originally Posted by ironbrick
I drove the RWD IS350 F Sport yesterday morning. I wish the salesman didn't insist on riding along and chatting the entire time, but it is what it is. Weirdly, I think I like the way the 6AT behaves better than the 8AT. The 8-speed seemed like it was doing an awful lot of shuffling gears and bogging down the engine. The 6-speed just did whatever it did in the background, which is what I'd prefer in a little luxury car.

The only concern that I didn't notice on the first test drive is that the seating position is a bit higher than I'd like (6'2" here). I felt like the seat ought to go an inch or two lower but I was already at rock bottom. My head had acceptable clearance to the headliner, but I felt like I was "riding on top of the car." Not sure what that's about, but it wouldn't be the first time ergonomics got in the way of buying a car that I otherwise really like.
Interesting. I have always thought the IS had a pretty low seating position, but then again I am 5'11".

I guess if I remember correctly, the 6AT did hold gears a little longer than the 8AT, but at the same time, I guess it works better for my driving style. And, also, I am in the 500 now, so maybe my perception is a bit warped.

I think the 8-speed shines when driven aggressively compared to the 6, and in daily use, it's not bad other than requiring a little more throttle input to get it downshifting.
Old 02-25-24, 01:24 PM
Toadyy
10th Gear

Originally Posted by ironbrick
IThe only concern that I didn't notice on the first test drive is that the seating position is a bit higher than I'd like (6'2" here). I felt like the seat ought to go an inch or two lower but I was already at rock bottom. My head had acceptable clearance to the headliner, but I felt like I was "riding on top of the car." Not sure what that's about, but it wouldn't be the first time ergonomics got in the way of buying a car that I otherwise really like.
I noticed that with my '23 IS350. My '16 IS200T, I felt the seat position was about 1-2" lower and I am 6'2". I have learned to live with it.
Old 02-25-24, 03:30 PM
ironbrick
6th Gear

Originally Posted by arentz07
I think the 8-speed shines when driven aggressively compared to the 6, and in daily use, it's not bad other than requiring a little more throttle input to get it downshifting.
A combination of uncooperative traffic and my own hesitation to lean on a car with 4 miles on the odometer kinda spoiled that party. I didn't play much with the driving modes, either.

Originally Posted by Toadyy
I noticed that with my '23 IS350. My '16 IS200T, I felt the seat position was about 1-2" lower and I am 6'2". I have learned to live with it.
Credit where due, what usually gets me is steering reach and the IS doesn't have that problem. With the seat at a comfortable distance to the pedals, the power column brought the wheel right to me.

I should try to get into a car for a longer stretch. Alone. 10 minutes around the block while being questioned about my family life and career choices is...uhh...not ideal
The following 2 users liked this post by ironbrick:
arentz07 (02-26-24), NYIS300awdFS (03-30-24)
Old 03-01-24, 08:37 PM
NYIS300awdFS
Pit Crew

Received 73 Likes on 52 Posts
Default New here

Subaru guy since 2006, many wrx later, been there done that. Turning 60 later in the year, figured it is time to drive something a little bit more respectful than a rumbly old wrx. I do miss them but I’m loving my new to me car choice. My wife purchased a new CT200h in 2017, excellent little car. I’ve liked the IS since walking the showroom while waiting to finalize the deal for the wife’s car back then. Recently I started to look for an IS350 F sport, along the way I test drove an IS300 awd F sport and realized it would be an excellent compromise for me. While still looking for a 350 I opened my search to 300 also. Came across the right 300 for the right price and went for it. I’m really enjoying the car, had to fly to go get it, drove it a bit over 1000 miles to bring it home. Completed my first week of daily driving it, fuel consumption is on part with my Subaru STi but comfort and technology is way ahead compared to my 19 and 22 year old Subies. Already sold my 05 subie and the 02 is on the market. My Lexus is a 2017 IS300 awd F sport in atomic silver with black Interior and just over 59,200 miles. No accident history souther car rust free in like new condition. Extremely pleased with my new to me vehicle.
plan is to not modify but it’ll be very hard not to.

Last edited by NYIS300awdFS; 03-30-24 at 06:23 PM.
The following 5 users liked this post by NYIS300awdFS:
blackangus (03-04-24), gbouton (04-18-24), kj07xk (03-01-24), KObjective (03-02-24), Toadyy (03-01-24)
Old 03-08-24, 07:47 AM
Bearcats98
Driver

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Picked up a 21 Fsport350 AWD (other than RWD not sure they make just "normal" versions of the 350?). 30K miles but for a decent price. Always liked the IS platform but a sudden change in my then current cars reliability had me make a pretty quick switch. I am an older guy but like smaller and sportier cars versus lumbering SUVs. The snug feel of the seat and wheel and console is a good feel for me.

Drove it home and immediately performed:
(*) Dealer put on a pinstripe (cheap and lazy and looked like poo). Gone.
(*) Dealer license frames. Gone
(*) Front plate holder. Gone
(*) I have some paint correction (lots of swirls) I need to do so just slapped some sealant on it for now to get to the warmer weather.
(*) Polished/cleaned exhaust outlets to look pretty close to OEM chrome versus soot coated bleah.
(*) Ordered Black on white badges to replace the OEM chrome on white.

Spent time over the next few days to clean all the "jambs" (doors, trunk, hood, gas lid). Slow process getting all that stuck on gunk gone. Hoping to get it tinted soon and debating about PPF due to some imperfections in the bumper from use. RR LCA mounts and rear UCAs will be going on soon as it has a newer set of tires so I am betting they had to put on tires as the old ones were worn out.

Only one thing that gets me...no sunglass holder? I mean, 1st world problems for sure...but wow!
The following 2 users liked this post by Bearcats98:
arentz07 (03-08-24), kj07xk (03-08-24)
Old 03-11-24, 12:15 PM
Dancingrobot
Rookie

Received 35 Likes on 14 Posts
Default New 2021 IS350 Fsport AWD with Dynamic handling package and ML audio package

OMG she is so pretty. I moved up from a 2010 Tacoma TRD sport to a '21 Lexus IS350! I never thought it would happen. I saw the new body redesign when Lexus debuted it at the Rolex 24 hours at Daytona race weekend. I finally got one. I drove 10 hours with non-stop snow for 6hrs to get it. Totally worth it!

The following 5 users liked this post by Dancingrobot:
arentz07 (03-14-24), Bechtold (06-18-24), blackangus (03-11-24), KObjective (03-28-24), NYIS300awdFS (03-11-24)
Old 03-11-24, 08:04 PM
blackangus
Pit Crew

Received 61 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Bearcats98
Picked up a 21 Fsport350 AWD (other than RWD not sure they make just "normal" versions of the 350?). 30K miles but for a decent price. Always liked the IS platform but a sudden change in my then current cars reliability had me make a pretty quick switch. I am an older guy but like smaller and sportier cars versus lumbering SUVs. The snug feel of the seat and wheel and console is a good feel for me.

Drove it home and immediately performed:
(*) Dealer put on a pinstripe (cheap and lazy and looked like poo). Gone.
(*) Dealer license frames. Gone
(*) Front plate holder. Gone
(*) I have some paint correction (lots of swirls) I need to do so just slapped some sealant on it for now to get to the warmer weather.
(*) Polished/cleaned exhaust outlets to look pretty close to OEM chrome versus soot coated bleah.
(*) Ordered Black on white badges to replace the OEM chrome on white.

Spent time over the next few days to clean all the "jambs" (doors, trunk, hood, gas lid). Slow process getting all that stuck on gunk gone. Hoping to get it tinted soon and debating about PPF due to some imperfections in the bumper from use. RR LCA mounts and rear UCAs will be going on soon as it has a newer set of tires so I am betting they had to put on tires as the old ones were worn out.

Only one thing that gets me...no sunglass holder? I mean, 1st world problems for sure...but wow!
LOL. lack of a sunglass compartment was about the first thing i noticed while driving my new-to-me IS home, as well.
The following users liked this post:
Bearcats98 (03-15-24)
Old 03-12-24, 06:44 AM
Dancingrobot
Rookie

Received 35 Likes on 14 Posts

Today starts the long 8 hour drive back to Central CT in my new car. It took me 10 hours to get to the dealership here in Western PA, 6 hours of that was snowing. Today will be a nice sunny day about 50F.

Perfect weather to drive my new IS350 home!! Time to find some twisty roads!
The following users liked this post:
arentz07 (03-13-24)
Old 03-26-24, 10:04 PM
DenverMoto
7th Gear

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Just wanted to give a quick hello, couldn't be happier to be a first time Lexus owner. Toyota guy my whole life, and can't believe I finally own an IS. Picked up this 2019 IS300 F-Sport last week, and I've put a thousand lovely miles on her already. So much joy behind the wheel. Already spending tasteful money on her haha, I just ordered the D3 Performance Tuner and Injen cold air intake - just wanna see what I can crank out of that little turbo :P I have SO many questions I'll try to post in the appropriate threads, but for now, just wanted to say hi. Here she is, parked behind her in the garage is my other pride and joy, 99 Tacoma (can't get enough of the Japanese-built Yota products).

The following 3 users liked this post by DenverMoto:
blackangus (04-04-24), KObjective (03-28-24), prophecywhiteis500 (03-27-24)
Old 03-27-24, 09:07 AM
skk1996
2nd gear

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default 2019 IS350 Checking In

After perusing these forums for a month, I finally pulled the trigger on my first IS! 2019 IS350 F-Sport AWD in USB Mica 2.0 with Rioja Red interior. Was super hard to find and I jumped on it when I found it. Triple beam headlights, parking sensors and nav as options. 41,000 miles, one owner who babied the car. Made the deal to get 4 new tires installed, and just did a muffler delete, quad tips, 20% tints all around and chrome delete in the week I've owned it lol. Now just need a front lip. Happy to be here!
The following 4 users liked this post by skk1996:
Bechtold (06-18-24), blackangus (04-04-24), DenverMoto (03-27-24), KObjective (03-28-24)
Old 03-27-24, 09:01 PM
prophecywhiteis500
Pit Crew

Received 134 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by DenverMoto
Just wanted to give a quick hello, couldn't be happier to be a first time Lexus owner. Toyota guy my whole life, and can't believe I finally own an IS. Picked up this 2019 IS300 F-Sport last week, and I've put a thousand lovely miles on her already. So much joy behind the wheel. Already spending tasteful money on her haha, I just ordered the D3 Performance Tuner and Injen cold air intake - just wanna see what I can crank out of that little turbo :P I have SO many questions I'll try to post in the appropriate threads, but for now, just wanted to say hi. Here she is, parked behind her in the garage is my other pride and joy, 99 Tacoma (can't get enough of the Japanese-built Yota products).

I'm not that into black cars but I really love how the '17's - '20's model look in black. Beautiful ride!
Old 04-01-24, 08:14 AM
gbouton
Driver

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts
Default 2022 is350 rwd dhp

I acquired this '22 IS350 RWD DHP a couple of weeks ago and so far have been very impressed--especially with the ride quality and ML audio--both are comparable to my LX570. Since there are not many RWD models sold in my area, I had to make a quick trip to NC to get this one but a nice long drive home is always a great way to get familiar with a new car. 😎

With big brother LX570
The following 4 users liked this post by gbouton:
arentz07 (04-01-24), Incognito23 (04-01-24), NYIS300awdFS (04-01-24), twalls (04-03-24)
Old 04-03-24, 12:09 PM
DarkShadowIS
5th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi All! First time Lexus owner. Have myself a beautiful 2017 IS 300 F Sport in Ultra White Pearl. Former mechanic/current hobbyist and engineer (I know I went to the dark side ). Car handles like a dream and is well balanced! Here she is:

The following 3 users liked this post by DarkShadowIS:
asciarra21 (04-08-24), Incognito23 (05-08-24), twalls (05-09-24)

Quick Reply: Welcome to Club Lexus! 3IS owner roll call & member introduction thread, POST HERE!