IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

2014 LEXUS IS Official Debut Discussion (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-13, 08:16 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,063 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb FYI for All...

Originally Posted by Nigel-JDMParts
No need to worry about the Fog Light.

We can get all the parts for you.
Sure, while I do all the leg work to make sure that they actually work & fit just like OEM..

The ONLY way this is going to happen again, is if Lexus Japan actually installs Fog Lamps on their 2014 IS F-Sport Models...

I just recently worked on this 2013 GS350 F-Sport project...

~ Joe Z
Old 01-10-13, 08:34 AM
bam
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I have to applaud Lexus for actually being as aggressive as they said they were going to be with the design on the 3rd gen IS. Typically, manufacturers will say they'll make a bold new design and often times, they come up short on being bold. Can't say that Lexus didn't stick to their wrods.

As for the design itself. I like the rear but I think the lower valence can be cleaned up a little with a little more added style instead of the simple black valence across the lower rear end. Now the front is where I'm not feeling the bold design. I know Lexus is trying to incorporate a new "face" onto their models but I think of this car that is relatively small, they put such a huge grill. I think they should have slimmed it down because that's all you see in the front. I don't mind the headlights being seperate like they are. It's an interesting design element but the grill is just way to big for me. I mean, where would you put the license plate? I know, I know. Don't put the license plate but in Cali where it's required or you risk a fix-it-ticket, some people will actually follow the law and put it on and I think it will look wierd in all of the grill space.

Happy to hear that it's on a longer wheelbase although the rear doors don't look very much larger and the 2nd gen. Lexus claims to have the best rear knee room. I've sat in the newest 3 series and they're pretty good size. The new 3 series is basically what an old 5 series used to be so if they claim that it's more room than a 3 series, then wow! Unless, their best in class is something to inquire about as to what other car is in it's class.

Something else to take note of. The pictures released are of the F Sport variant but of course, we don't know what exact options are on the car and what options are available but aren't on the car. One thing I will say though, the car seems to ride really high. Almost like it's lifted in some of the pictures shown. (I know it's not lifted.) For a car with an F Sport package, the suspension doesn't seem to be low enough. Hopefully, these pcitures were really early prototypes and Lexus ends up lowering the car some because there was just too much wheel gap from the factory for an F Sport car.
Old 01-10-13, 08:58 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,722 Likes on 1,949 Posts

Originally Posted by eightysix
compare this with the e-class or 3 series interior and you'll see what I mean.

I think the exterior has no elegance, if you told me this is the new KIA or Hyundai I would def believe it ..
You can't compare the interior of an IS to the interior of an E Class. The E Class is significantly more expensive than an IS.

As for the 3 Series, I think the interior in the 3 series feels pretty cheap, especially with the goofy new "flavors" with the handscraped plastic looking wood trim and cream colored gauges?!? Gah.

I have a sneaking suspicion when you see this car in person the interior will be very nice. So long as they don't go cheap plastic crazy like they did on the ES.
Old 01-10-13, 09:00 AM
Vroomin350
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Liking the front end and interior but thats about it. The doors and b pillars look like they took a 2IS and stiched up and bunch of crap on top. Yes, I believe lexus didn't do a great job here. Will wait to see it in person. One thing I do like is the LED being seperated. Would probably look wicked driving with only those on. And they should be easier to change the LED color now that you dont have to bake the headlights open.
Old 01-10-13, 09:51 AM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 458 Likes on 303 Posts

The 2IS amassed in the USA:
2006 54,267 units,
2007 54,933 units,
2008 49,432 units.
I wonder if this new 3IS will later prove to be as popular, if not more so than the 2IS?

The 3 Series in the USA amassed:
2005 106,950 units.
2006 120,180 units,
2007 142,290 units,
2012 99,602 units.
There is a difference between designing cars for a small group of enthusiasts and absorbing the financial losses, versus designing a car for the mass public and cherishing the profits.
Financial difficulties does lead to poor input into Research and Development, resulting in poor future designs.
While profits assists in R&D, resulting in sound engineering and future designs.

A better alternative may be to have two separate body styles to keep both groups of people happy, especially the mass public to enhance the overall perception of the brand, and the technical profits and funds poured back into R&D.
However, having two separate body styles does bump up the manufacturing costs and overheads...

Last edited by peteharvey; 01-10-13 at 10:16 AM.
Old 01-10-13, 10:35 AM
SB350
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't wait till Five Axis gets their hands on this for Project IS.
Old 01-10-13, 11:18 AM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I wonder if the all the temperature control read outs can be displayed in metric on the cluster and the climate controls themselves.

In the video I saw, part of it was in temperatures was shown in metric and the outside readout was not.
Old 01-10-13, 11:18 AM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Personally, I would have liked Lexus to create a more "mainstream" IS for the mass public, then let aftermarket companies like Five Axis etc etc, hot up the 3IS for enthusiasts, with body kits, suspension and wheel kits, hopped up brakes, and thumping aftermarket hi-fi systems.

Such a factory aggressive 3IS will be absolutely paradise for enthusiasts, but I'm afraid the mass public will not warm to sales, and such an aggressive design is not suitable for the average person; it leaves the average person out, and it only caters for that small group of enthusiasts...
Old 01-10-13, 11:37 AM
raptor22
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love it! i guess if anything the black diffuser area coulda been a bit better, but i'll reserve judgment till i see it in real life. Now I can't wait for the coupe version! i hope i don't have to wait too long

and i love the red interior w/ the red stitching, the LFA gauge, the separate LED DRLs, and the taillights. I hope these features (at least the first three) will make it to the coupe!! I honestly think the separate LED located on the top bumper just below the headlights is a great unique implementation in the auto market full of LEDs.
Old 01-10-13, 11:38 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by peteharvey
The 2IS amassed in the USA:
2006 54,267 units,
2007 54,933 units,
2008 49,432 units.
I wonder if this new 3IS will later prove to be as popular, if not more so than the 2IS?

The 3 Series in the USA amassed:
2005 106,950 units.
2006 120,180 units,
2007 142,290 units,
2012 99,602 units.
There is a difference between designing cars for a small group of enthusiasts and absorbing the financial losses, versus designing a car for the mass public and cherishing the profits.
Financial difficulties does lead to poor input into Research and Development, resulting in poor future designs.
While profits assists in R&D, resulting in sound engineering and future designs.

A better alternative may be to have two separate body styles to keep both groups of people happy, especially the mass public to enhance the overall perception of the brand, and the technical profits and funds poured back into R&D.
However, having two separate body styles does bump up the manufacturing costs and overheads...
ES takes both IS and GS buyers... it is in the middle of them, so they already have those two offerings.
Old 01-10-13, 11:42 AM
cino
Lexus Champion

Personally, I would have liked Lexus to create a more "mainstream" IS for the mass public, then let aftermarket companies like Five Axis etc etc, hot up the 3IS for enthusiasts, with body kits, suspension and wheel kits, hopped up brakes, and thumping aftermarket hi-fi systems.

Such a factory aggressive 3IS will be absolutely paradise for enthusiasts, but I'm afraid the mass public will not warm to sales, and such an aggressive design is not suitable for the average person; it leaves the average person out, and it only caters for that small group of enthusiasts...
That's why there are non F-sport models for the mass. Autoguide also mentioned that the new IS will have that Lexus ride quality even in F sport model. Some people might like a bit more aggressive set up, and Lexus have F-Sport accessories line for them to keep them in warranty in some ways. Some other hardcore enthusiasts will go aftermarket set up by sacrificing the Sport + mode and other factory features. I don't see why we shouldn't have F sport model because it looks pretty good, and with aftermarket enchantments, F sport model is even more aggressive than base IS. Look at the new GS as the reference.
Old 01-10-13, 11:42 AM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by spwolf
ES takes both IS and GS buyers... it is in the middle of them, so they already have those two offerings.
The ES does take a certain amount of sales away from the IS and GS, but not all the sales.

ES is a mid-size [even full size] budget car with 6 speed auto, front drive, and MacPherson strut suspension etc.
IS is a compact with quality including direct injection, 8 speed auto, rear drive, multi-link suspension etc.

What they need is a compact in two different body styles like the Audi A4 and A5, to suit different buyers...

Last edited by peteharvey; 01-10-13 at 11:49 AM.
Old 01-10-13, 11:45 AM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by cino
That's why there are non F-sport models for the mass. Autoguide also mentioned that the new IS will have that Lexus ride quality even in F sport model. Some people might like a bit more aggressive set up, and Lexus have F-Sport accessories line for them to keep them in warranty in some ways. Some other hardcore enthusiasts will go aftermarket set up by sacrificing the Sport + mode and other factory features. I don't see why we shouldn't have F sport model because it looks pretty good, and with aftermarket enchantments, F sport model is even more aggressive than base IS. Look at the new GS as the reference.
No problems with the F Sport, or the even sportier IS-F.
Just need to tone down a bit for the mainstream buyer...
Old 01-10-13, 11:54 AM
cino
Lexus Champion

No problems with the F Sport, or the even sportier IS-F.
Just need to tone down a bit for the mainstream buyer...
Like I already said, most reviews out there about the prototype said that the new IS is not sportier than the outgoing model at lower speed. But who' gonna do 60mph cornering outside of the racetrack? For those who bring IS to the racetrack, they will not keep it stock anyway.

Are you talking about the design or the driving characters of the car? I'm pretty sure the prototype auto journos tested back in late 2012 was 90% production ready and it didn't have aggressive suspension set up.

Last edited by cino; 01-10-13 at 11:59 AM. Reason: typo
Old 01-10-13, 11:55 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

The ES does take a certain amount of sales away from the IS and GS, but not all the sales.

ES is a mid-size [even full size] budget car with 6 speed auto, front drive, and MacPherson strut suspension etc.
IS is a compact with quality including direct injection, 8 speed auto, rear drive, multi-link suspension etc.

What they need is a compact in two different body styles like the Audi A4 and A5, to suit different buyers...
you are talking about coupe, which will come.

Quick Reply: 2014 LEXUS IS Official Debut Discussion (merged threads)