IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

2014 LEXUS IS Official Debut Discussion (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-13, 01:38 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,722 Likes on 1,949 Posts

Nope, this is the car
Old 01-10-13, 01:55 PM
ntocamping
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My guess is the non F sport IS front bumper will look more like the GS F Sport with a divding color matched center separating an upper an lower grill. The GS F sport looked pretty aggressive but when you compare that to the IS F sport the GS looks much tamer now. I actually think the GS F sport front bumper is nicer than the IS F sport. I like the car interior and exterior wise.
Old 01-10-13, 02:14 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 458 Likes on 303 Posts

Originally Posted by cino
Like I already said, most reviews out there about the prototype said that the new IS is not sportier than the outgoing model at lower speed. But who' gonna do 60mph cornering outside of the racetrack? For those who bring IS to the racetrack, they will not keep it stock anyway.

Are you talking about the design or the driving characters of the car? I'm pretty sure the prototype auto journos tested back in late 2012 was 90% production ready and it didn't have aggressive suspension set up.
Originally Posted by spwolf
you are talking about coupe, which will come.
Originally Posted by SW10ES
Bear in mind that Lexus does exactly this with the ES & IS.

Also bear in mind this is the F-Sport, you have not seen the basic model. I would never have bought an F-Sport GS, it doesn't appeal to me, but I did buy an ordinary GS.
Now that we have seen what the F Sport looks like, we can roughly predict the shape of the base model.
However, I suspect that the base 3IS is too sporty, or too radical for the mass public.

Look at this BMW forum below, at see how other people view our 3IS, and they are a significantly bigger group than us: http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=789893

Btw, one rough way to take into account the effect of the ES on IS and GS sales is to total the sales of all 3 models up for the USA in 2012:
ES 56,158
IS 27,708
GS 22,160
Total = 106,026

3 Series 99,602
5 Series [without 6 Series of 8,208] @ 56,798
Total = 156,400

C Class 81,697
E Class [without CLS of 8,065] @ 65,171
Total = 146,868

Thus, even with the ES sedan included, and considering how much cheaper the three Lexus models are relative to their German counterparts, Lexus still trails BM and Benz by a long way.
It helps to have not just more engine & suspension variations, but also more body variations to cater for the different tastes in the mainstream mass market.
Note how the 6 Series & CLS body variations contribute about 8,000+ units each, in sales?

As it stands, I suspect the 3IS won't do well in the mainstream mass market, just like the 22,160 units of the GS against the 56,796 5 Series and 65,171 E Classes.
Even when we take the ES into account, it's still 106k ES/S/GS versus 157k 3/5 Series, and 146k C/E Classes.

The mass market has a more conservative taste, and not so radical.
Sales ultimately increases the profitability to pour back into R&D, and without solid R&D, the company faces a bleak future with delayed 8 speed gear boxes etc etc.

Interestingly, did the GS fail to meet its minimum target of 2k per month?
It's one thing to design for enthusiasts; it's another thing to design for the mass public.
Sales are all about the tastes of the mass market...

Last edited by peteharvey; 01-10-13 at 02:29 PM.
Old 01-10-13, 02:16 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,063 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb FYI for All...

Originally Posted by ntocamping
My guess is the non F sport IS front bumper will look more like the GS F Sport with a divding color matched center separating an upper an lower grill. The GS F sport looked pretty aggressive but when you compare that to the IS F sport the GS looks much tamer now. I actually think the GS F sport front bumper is nicer than the IS F sport. I like the car interior and exterior wise.
Great theory... Here is the answer.....!!!

You can see Upper & Lower grill differences, plus bonus Fog Lights, PLUS regular non-LED headlamp housings..!!

You saw it here "First" & "Officially" (covered up) LoL

More clading below, but you can see the same grills + headlamps on + fog lamps...

Enjoy,

~ Joe Z

Last edited by Joe Z; 01-10-13 at 02:21 PM.
Old 01-10-13, 02:30 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by TimboIS
The cup holders are lame. At least in the 2G there's a cover. Totally looks low-class with the 2 big holes there.
there is a cover that makes it completely unusable when it is open.

so this is much nicer as it is usable, plus it doesnt look cheap, you get nice metal rings around it... there was a nicer pics on AB that showed it in better light.
Old 01-10-13, 02:32 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by peteharvey
Now that we have seen what the F Sport looks like, we can roughly predict the shape of the base model.
However, I suspect that the base 3IS is too sporty, or too radical for the mass public.

Look at this BMW forum below, at see how other people view our 3IS, and they are a significantly bigger group than us: http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=789893

Btw, one rough way to take into account the effect of the ES on IS and GS sales is to total the sales of all 3 models up for the USA in 2012:
ES 56,158
IS 27,708
GS 22,160
Total = 106,026

3 Series 99,602
Total = 156,400

C Class 81,697
Total = 146,868

Thus, even with the ES sedan included, and considering how much cheaper the three Lexus models are relative to their German counterparts, Lexus still trails BM and Benz by a long way.
It helps to have not just more engine & suspension variations, but also more body variations to cater for the different tastes in the mainstream mass market.
Note how the 6 Series & CLS body variations contribute about 8,000+ units each, in sales?

As it stands, I suspect the 3IS won't do well in the mainstream mass market, just like the 22,160 units of the GS against the 56,796 5 Series and 65,171 E Classes.
Even when we take the ES into account, it's still 106k ES/S/GS versus 157k 3/5 Series, and 146k C/E Classes.

Sales ultimately increases the profitability to pour back into R&D, and without solid R&D, the company faces a bleak future with delayed 8 speed gear boxes etc etc.

It's one thing to design for enthusiasts; it's another thing to design for the mass public.
well 2012 was the year when IS and ES were on its last leg, and GS wasnt full year either.... ES alone will sell 80k next year at least, maybe more and IS should double month vs month... so they will reach the germans. And thats without new coupes and wagon that is coming.

Last edited by spwolf; 01-10-13 at 02:38 PM.
Old 01-10-13, 02:41 PM
212LeX
Rookie

Same here., I like everything except the back. lately like the new camry front., 3IS rear are inspired by Honda/Acura to me., Toyota and Honda are creeping in together IMO
Old 01-10-13, 02:45 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

ES 56,158
IS 27,708
GS 22,160
Total = 106,026

3 Series 99,602
Total = 156,400

C Class 81,697
Total = 146,868

Well, most people buy car for the badge not for the value. I asked about 20 people, most of them prefer BMW and MB over Lexus and Infiniti,, heck they pick BMW over Aston Martin and Porsche because they neither do understand the philosophy of the cars, nor other badges beside BMW or MB. They didn't even see the pictures of those cars before evening making decision. Look doesn't really have much to do with sale. Most BMW fans will hate anything Japan especially Lexus/Toyota. Look at the F30 board, they even make fun of LFA when their BMW don't even have anything to compete. Another example outside of automotive world is Apple and their iSO... you know where it's going.
Old 01-10-13, 02:45 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by spwolf
well 2012 was the year when IS and ES were on its last leg, and GS wasnt full year either.... ES alone will sell 80k next year at least, maybe more and IS should double month vs month... so they will reach the germans. And thats without new coupes and wagon that is coming.
Yes, the GS & ES are fresh, and the IS brand new; it'll be interesting to see what happens in 2013.

However, by the same token, we must remember that the 2007 C Class is aging, and look at how popular it is; a new C Class is due in 2014!
Meanwhile the 2009 E Class, 2010 5 Series is mid-life.
Only the 3 Series is new for 2012...
Old 01-10-13, 02:54 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by cino
Well, most people buy car for the badge not for the value. I asked about 20 people, most of them prefer BMW and MB over Lexus and Infiniti,, heck they pick BMW over Aston Martin and Porsche because they neither do understand the philosophy of the cars, nor other badges beside BMW or MB. They didn't even see the pictures of those cars before evening making decision. Look doesn't really have much to do with sale. Most BMW fans will hate anything Japan especially Lexus/Toyota. Look at the F30 board, they even make fun of LFA when their BMW don't even have anything to compete. Another example outside of automotive world is Apple and their iSO... you know where it's going.
The badge/name is actually based on the reputation/history of the product.
Styling is one of the many facets of the product itself.
If a company continually churns out good products, with good styling, space, engine, chassis etc etc, it creates a name for itself.
On the otherhand, if a company continually churns out bad products, containing bland styling etc etc, it makes a lesser name for itself.

For example, back in 1997 Palm Pilot was hot.
By mid 2005, Blackberry made a name for itself.
Now, it's Apple.

Names are created by the product; there is no magic as some people think.
Companies rise and fall.
GM & Ford use to be two of the most profitable companies.
Later Toyota.
Now, it's VW.
Motorola has gone, ditto Nokia & Sony; now it's Samsung and Apple...
Old 01-10-13, 02:59 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

@ peteharvey

I remember a friend asked my about Pontiac G8 back in 2008, and he thought it was a BMW because it had kidney grill. After he found out that it wasn't a BMW, he was like "it looks nice, but a BMW would look better." He even asked what Pontiac was from, and I was like "You live in the US for almost 5 years, and you don't know what is Pontiac?" I also see majority of international students at my school drive only Mercedes Benz. The reason was that the three pointed star is known as the most prestige badge in their countries. They think Lexus as leather wrapped Toyota and will never look at one because they can buy a cheaper Toyota.

Last edited by cino; 01-10-13 at 03:16 PM. Reason: typo
Old 01-10-13, 03:06 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Remember when the 4GS was first released last year? There were a small number of complaints mainly relating to the bland rear end styling.
However, the number of posts relating to the new 3IS styling just in the last two days or so, is quite phenomenal...
Old 01-10-13, 03:08 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Yes, the GS & ES are fresh, and the IS brand new; it'll be interesting to see what happens in 2013.

However, by the same token, we must remember that the 2007 C Class is aging, and look at how popular it is; a new C Class is due in 2014!
Meanwhile the 2009 E Class, 2010 5 Series is mid-life.
Only the 3 Series is new for 2012...
sure, but ES and IS and even GS for 1/3 of the year were 6-7 years old :-).

I bet you will see at least 50% increase in the numbers you posted here when it comes to IS+ES+GS.

Its not only the freshness, but Yen is dropping so bigger play with prices and variations. It dropped 15% in past 40 days... thats 15% extra for Lexus to play with. While Lexus had big incentives on GS, BMW and MB had 50% bigger incentives on average :-).

Then in 2014 we will see coupe selling and possibly 300h's will arrive too... So expect significant increase in sales.
Old 01-10-13, 03:10 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Remember when the 4GS was first released last year? There were a small number of complaints mainly relating to the bland rear end styling.
However, the number of posts relating to the new 3IS styling just in the last two days or so, is quite phenomenal...
it is good but only if front lights look good in person... if they do, it will sell big... I for one, a big L fan, that planned to get IS for sure, am now thinking to see if it ends up looking good in person.
Old 01-10-13, 03:13 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

The badge/name is actually based on the reputation/history of the product.
Styling is one of the many facets of the product itself.
If a company continually churns out good products, with good styling, space, engine, chassis etc etc, it creates a name for itself.
On the otherhand, if a company continually churns out bad products, containing bland styling etc etc, it makes a lesser name for itself.

For example, back in 1997 Palm Pilot was hot.
By mid 2005, Blackberry made a name for itself.
Now, it's Apple.

Names are created by the product; there is no magic as some people think.
Companies rise and fall.
GM & Ford use to be two of the most profitable companies.
Later Toyota.
Now, it's VW.
Motorola has gone, ditto Nokia & Sony; now it's Samsung and Apple...
There is a magic called marketing. I like the new redesign Kia but not Hyundai, but Hyundai sells more car than Kia because of heavy marketing campaign, I believe most people will agree than Kia models look better.

Same goes to mobile industry. No one can name 3 things Apple really invented, but still think Apple invented everything. That's because of the marketing... "Look what we invented" said Steve Jobs.

Quick Reply: 2014 LEXUS IS Official Debut Discussion (merged threads)