IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

2014 LEXUS IS Official Debut Discussion (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-13, 07:45 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
looking at these two pics, are they actually the same front end?

Yes they are. Bottom one has more effects added to show the hidden lines on the first image.
Old 01-10-13, 07:47 PM
MashinA
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I feel that people need to stop being so old fashioned. This is the future of cars, get with it or move along.
Old 01-10-13, 07:49 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by eightysix
absolutely not feeling it :s
Was so looking forward to the new IS but now.. disappointment
The interior is way too messy and crowded with different materials, shapes and colors. there is no serenity and it doesn't breath luxury. For me the materials for the radio look also cheap..
it's like they just randomly placed external devices and buttons.. like gps doesnt look integrated.. and whats up with the placement of the start/stop button?
compare this with the e-class or 3 series interior and you'll see what I mean.

I think the exterior has no elegance, if you told me this is the new KIA or Hyundai I would def believe it ..
I hope you're not comparing it to that. That MB interior looks like a bad joke, with all those different square and slanted shapes. That's a mess IMO.
Old 01-10-13, 07:58 PM
LexFather

have you seen it in person?

by this logic, the pontiac aztek should have sold like hotcakes.

guessing critics here have been a wide variety of ages.

i know not directed at me, and i'm not sure it will, but you have repeatedly said that more edgy designs don't do well over time.

it is? tell that to a drifter.

well, this IS looks VERY little like the LF CC to me (particularly from the side) except for the giant front grill, aka, the shnoz.

i disagree. i think that title goes hands down to the HS.
I posted the pics of the LF-CC and IS one after the other already so go back and READ. It is very close. Many of us are Lexus enthusiasts and interested in the 3IS FYI.

Originally Posted by peteharvey
At its peak, the IS sold 54,933 in 2007 USA.
3 Series peaked at 142,490 also in 2007.
C Class peaked at 89,607 just last year.

Sure, it is mainly the name/badge/image, and not necessarily the car.
All the manufacturers market pretty well, so I can't see marketing playing a major role for the IS to match the C Class, or the C Class to catch up to the 3 Series...
Pete the 3 series is their volume car, it has coupes and convertibles and the IS will never sell like it. The C class also has coupes. The IS just has the IS convertible, no true coupe.

The 3 series and C class have decades of well deserved prestige. I think Lexus is happy with their smaller share of the pot and the sportier image the IS brings to the brand along with younger buyers. It is crystal clear after all these years that all the cars co-exist, they all sell well, they all are well received they all are successes for their brands.

We're both humans - and it is normal for two people to have different tastes.
I could say to you that you want a sporty bias, and that there are other options non-Lexus for you too.
It's just two different opinions from two different people.

Thus, it's better to comment on our own opinion of the car, rather than trying to "quote" and put down another member's opinion.
It would be better if we all try to have some etiquette, and avoid quoting others negatively, and making remarks like:
"John Smith you are wrong".
"I disagree with you".
"I believe that"...
We could all do without these negative quotations and phrases.
It is better if we can all just focus on voicing our own opinions, without having to deny another person of their opinions, and trying to put their opinions down...
lol....agreed. Which is why I could care less about what people think about how the car looks. No car can visually please anyone and this IS is clearly going for bold, futuristic and is not going for bland or blending in.

Besides we know how it goes with Lexus on the internet

-Lexus is bland, car is boring
-No, now Lexus is way to sporty, that is stupid
-Lexus is dumb looking like that
-OMG I feel asleep looking at that
-That car looks so ugly, OMG, Lexus makes the ugliest cars

We are enjoying our predator face GS-F sport.
Old 01-10-13, 07:58 PM
unc879wins
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cino
Ultra White is F-sport exclusive exterior color.- According to Hoovey.
Thanks for the info!!
Old 01-10-13, 08:14 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Blueprint
I posted the pics of the LF-CC and IS one after the other already so go back and READ. It is very close. Many of us are Lexus enthusiasts and interested in the 3IS FYI.

Pete the 3 series is their volume car, it has coupes and convertibles and the IS will never sell like it. The C class also has coupes. The IS just has the IS convertible, no true coupe.

The 3 series and C class have decades of well deserved prestige. I think Lexus is happy with their smaller share of the pot and the sportier image the IS brings to the brand along with younger buyers. It is crystal clear after all these years that all the cars co-exist, they all sell well, they all are well received they all are successes for their brands.

lol....agreed. Which is why I could care less about what people think about how the car looks. No car can visually please anyone and this IS is clearly going for bold, futuristic and is not going for bland or blending in.

Besides we know how it goes with Lexus on the internet

-Lexus is bland, car is boring
-No, now Lexus is way to sporty, that is stupid
-Lexus is dumb looking like that
-OMG I feel asleep looking at that
-That car looks so ugly, OMG, Lexus makes the ugliest cars

We are enjoying our predator face GS-F sport.
Well, said, and the 3IS could look like an Aston Martin Rapide and the guys over at Bimmerfest would bash it. Give them something controversial, and it's on!
Old 01-10-13, 08:20 PM
unc879wins
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Any availability info out there? When can we expect them to be readily available?
Old 01-10-13, 08:21 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,511 Likes on 1,651 Posts

so i was looking at the side profile. i get the upward curve of the side skirt detail and the rear side window sill curve, but i just think it's overdone.

also, the actual car side view shot (vs. the photoshop or just car shop lowered lexus pics on red) show an unpleasant wheel gap.

took a stab at toning down the window sill curve, removing the skirt curve, and lowering the car a bit.
Attached Thumbnails 2014 LEXUS IS Official Debut Discussion (merged threads)-is-side-before-after1.jpg  
Old 01-10-13, 08:53 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by dseag2
Well, said, and the 3IS could look like an Aston Martin Rapide and the guys over at Bimmerfest would bash it. Give them something controversial, and it's on!
Hey remember bud, we own the "predator" they still post every time a new Lexus debuts. Poor us

I got an email that another forum is going apeshiat b/c they think its me posting. I looked and it is utterly hilarious

People need to relax. It is the internet, people will get brave on it. We all know that

-3 series will sell
-C-class will sell
-IS will sell

yadda yadda.... every time a new Lexus or BMW etc debuts, the internet goes crazy, then the car is bought, you end of seeing them and opinions change.

_omg its ugly
-omg its bland
-omg it sucks
-omg its not bad
-omg I need something new to bash, what is the next new car out. Must bash!

What is interesting to me is I'm looking around most luxury and exotic forums seem to like the new IS. The low rent forums are blasting it.

All these years, decades these SAME PEOPLE bashed Lexus for being bland, even when it wasn't that bland. They bashed Lexus for being boring to drive. Now that Lexus is pushing some exterior styling boundaries and Lexus (and Toyota) vehicles are among the best driving in class one by one, they either are quiet or bashing Lexus for now being the very thing they were *****ing about all these years. I mean you have huge threads bashing the IS styling but no huge threads praising the GS for being the best driving car in class? What kind of enthusiasts do that?

Hilarious. Meanwhile, we are enjoying our cars

Last edited by LexFather; 01-10-13 at 08:58 PM.
Old 01-10-13, 09:00 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,772 Likes on 1,979 Posts

I have been around Lexus forums a long time, not as long as Blueprint and the crew obviously, but the story is always the same.

1. New model is coming out, people post pages upon pages of all the things they hope it will be, want it to be, etc. The vast majority of those things are completely unrealistic.
2. Pictures get leaked, invariably right before the big reveal.
3. Everybody freaks out, "OMG, its so hideous, Lexus has shot themselves in the foot with this one, I would never trade my 1991 ES250 in on that thing", "thank God we have our *insert previous generation of aforementioned model here*, we better keep them forever because Lexus will never build another car that we want to drive". "My car is the epitome of everything Lexus could have designed, if they would just make the new car look more like my car, it'd be hot."
4. People do all kinds of photoshops to make the car look like what they wished it looked like. Most look horrible...some look surprisingly good.
5. People see the car in person...and it looks better than in pictures. The honest folks will post this. Bedlam ensues, people get banned, moderators turn on moderators.
6. The model comes out and...people buy it. It sells better than the previous model!
7. A new subforum pops up, full of happy next generation owners and the community prospers.

And it all happens again...and again...and again. Don't believe me? Read the thread in every subforum about every new version of a model that comes out.

It'll be fine guys, trust me!

Last edited by SW17LS; 01-10-13 at 09:07 PM.
Old 01-10-13, 09:08 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by SW10ES
I have been around Lexus forums a long time, not as long as Blueprint and the crew obviously, but the story is always the same.

1. New model is coming out, people post pages upon pages of all the things they hope it will be, want it to be, etc. The vast majority of those things are completely unrealistic.
2. Pictures get leaked, invariably right before the big reveal.
3. Everybody freaks out, "OMG, its so hideous, Lexus has shot themselves in the foot with this one, I would never trade my 1991 ES250 in on that thing", "thank God we have our *insert previous generation of aforementioned model here*, we better keep them forever because Lexus will never build another car that we want to drive". "My car is the epitome of everything Lexus could have designed, if they would just make the new car look more like my car, it'd be hot.
4. People do all kinds of photoshops to make the car look like what they wished it looked like. Most look horrible...some look surprisingly good.
5. People see the car in person...and it looks better than in pictures. The honest folks will post this. Bedlam ensues, people get banned, moderators turn on moderators.
6. The model comes out and...people buy it. It sells better than the previous model!
7. A new subforum pops up, full of happy next generation owners and the community prospers.

And it all happens again...and again...and again. Don't believe me? Read the thread in every subforum about every new version of a model that comes out.

It'll be fine guys, trust me!
Exactly. Here we are you, dseag2, myself all posting in here, owning the new face of Lexus, the 4GS. The internet bashed it to death, they didn't care how it drove, they just focused on the new face.

A year later the forum is full of great members, the GS is being modified, people are enthused and people are getting used to the looks. The internetz predicted failure.
Old 01-10-13, 09:12 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,511 Likes on 1,651 Posts

Originally Posted by Blueprint
The internetz predicted failure.
never saw predictions of failure - just those that didn't care for aspects of its looks.

really great that Lexus took it to the mat on the handling equation.

looking forward to mags like C&D eating crow as they take the new IS vs. a 3 series.

actually 3IS vs. 3 vs. C vs. A4 vs. ATS should be fun!
Old 01-10-13, 09:12 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

so i was looking at the side profile. i get the upward curve of the side skirt detail and the rear side window sill curve, but i just think it's overdone.

also, the actual car side view shot (vs. the photoshop or just car shop lowered lexus pics on red) show an unpleasant wheel gap.

took a stab at toning down the window sill curve, removing the skirt curve, and lowering the car a bit.
Sedan proportions dictate that the edge where the glass and C-pillar meet must be above the center of the rear wheel.

I think all this car needs is bigger wheels:

2014 LEXUS IS Official Debut Discussion (merged threads)-9rbrt.jpg

And of course Lexus marketing being stupid enough to show a car with such complex design lines in white doesn't help things. Removing the skirt curve is not a good idea. What you don't see in your image is that there is a lot of wonderful form language going on down there, one does not simply photoshop that out.

Last edited by Mr. Burns; 01-10-13 at 09:21 PM.
Old 01-10-13, 09:13 PM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts

Now that we have seen what the F Sport looks like, we can roughly predict the shape of the base model.
However, I suspect that the base 3IS is too sporty, or too radical for the mass public.

Look at this BMW forum below, at see how other people view our 3IS, and they are a significantly bigger group than us: http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=789893

Btw, one rough way to take into account the effect of the ES on IS and GS sales is to total the sales of all 3 models up for the USA in 2012:
ES 56,158
IS 27,708
GS 22,160
Total = 106,026

3 Series 99,602
5 Series [without 6 Series of 8,208] @ 56,798
Total = 156,400

C Class 81,697
E Class [without CLS of 8,065] @ 65,171
Total = 146,868

Thus, even with the ES sedan included, and considering how much cheaper the three Lexus models are relative to their German counterparts, Lexus still trails BM and Benz by a long way.
It helps to have not just more engine & suspension variations, but also more body variations to cater for the different tastes in the mainstream mass market.
Note how the 6 Series & CLS body variations contribute about 8,000+ units each, in sales?

As it stands, I suspect the 3IS won't do well in the mainstream mass market, just like the 22,160 units of the GS against the 56,796 5 Series and 65,171 E Classes.
Even when we take the ES into account, it's still 106k ES/S/GS versus 157k 3/5 Series, and 146k C/E Classes.

The mass market has a more conservative taste, and not so radical.
Sales ultimately increases the profitability to pour back into R&D, and without solid R&D, the company faces a bleak future with delayed 8 speed gear boxes etc etc.

Interestingly, did the GS fail to meet its minimum target of 2k per month?
It's one thing to design for enthusiasts; it's another thing to design for the mass public.
Sales are all about the tastes of the mass market...
Your comparison of sales numbers is misleading. In 2012, the IS is an end-of-life model and most of the the months of 2012 were selling the OLDER EOL generation ES. You can't compare that against a brand new F30 in its full year of sales and a fairly new 5 series.

The true picture will come this year 2013 when the full year's sales of the new ES + new GS + new IS is stacked up against the 3 series + 5 series sales.
Old 01-10-13, 09:13 PM
Adam350is
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting, i will probably skip the fposrt 3IS and just wait for the 2-ISF in a couple years which i can only imagine being a lot sicker. i love aggressiveness and LFA styled dash. Hopefully it has legroom this time around though.

Quick Reply: 2014 LEXUS IS Official Debut Discussion (merged threads)