IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

2014 LEXUS IS Official Debut Discussion (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-13, 09:21 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,722 Likes on 1,949 Posts

Originally Posted by Blueprint
Exactly. Here we are you, dseag2, myself all posting in here, owning the new face of Lexus, the 4GS. The internet bashed it to death, they didn't care how it drove, they just focused on the new face.

A year later the forum is full of great members, the GS is being modified, people are enthused and people are getting used to the looks. The internetz predicted failure.
Yep! And look at you and all the generations of Lexus you've owned. A brand has got to evolve, and Lexus has always lacked a "look"...and now they have it. Its not for everybody, but something thats distinctive never is. Things that are for everybody are boring and bland, Lexus spent too many years trying to appeal to everybody.

Just yesterday my GS was parked in a lot backed in and as I was walking up to it from the front I thought to myself "Man, I can't believe I thought that car was ugly...what a beautiful car"

Originally Posted by Bitkahuna
never saw predictions of failure - just those that didn't care for aspects of its looks.
Pffft...the discussion about the new GS was EXACTLY like this discussion here. I remember when the China pictures were leaked about the new ES. I remember when the '07 ES was leaked. EXACTLY the same discussion, with exactly the same discussion of how Lexus had shot themselves in the foot, and that the new model couldn't possibly sell as well as the old model. I remember the same when the 3GS came out. Hell...people STILL say that about the LS460 vs the LS430, and the LS460 has sold far better than the 430 ever did.

New ES is doing great, new GS is doing great, new LS is doing great...the new IS will do great. Opposed to what some people would say, being the #1 in sales in a segment is not the only definition of success.

Last edited by SW17LS; 01-10-13 at 09:24 PM.
Old 01-10-13, 09:29 PM
EthanV
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Blueprint...What you said is not wrong but that is one way of the appeasement for everybody...IS could be better but not at this moment! Let see it real life.

Last edited by EthanV; 01-10-13 at 09:37 PM.
Old 01-10-13, 09:36 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Just for grins...here is the 4GS thread, its like 3,400 posts long...and closed...with multiple members banned from fighting within it:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...-pics-251.html

Some quotes:

2013 LEXUS GS: FRONT = HONDA ACCORD, REAR = HYUNDAI SONATA, SIDE = INFINITI G37

OVERALL = Bad Design!!!...........Hope FSport Version is better.
ummmm....pass
Wow surprised it leaked! Still would prefer as well official high-res pics, but this will suffice for now. The white hides a lot of the muscular body lines unfortunately, and the wheel gap there is because its the AWD model, but otherwise it looks good even in white. Even in white you can see how pronounced the fender flares are.
This person now owns a 4GS:

Very disappointed in exterior design. The front is ok, rear reminds me of Sonata. The side profile is too bland. If that is how lexus is going to look for the next 6 - 7 years, good luck with that.
what an utter disapointment. rear stolen straight from a hyundai sonata. LOL

the front lights are so big that it makes the overall front look ungawdly.

sorry lexus... PASS
Sorry - but the exterior is a big let down. I cannot justify paying $50K for a car like this. They should have retained much of the concepts overall proportions and dynamic aggresiveness in the front - it does not look like a premium vehicle. Just a large CT made into a 4 door sedan. However, the side and rear i could probably live with and dont look that bad.

The front is an utter mess-up.

To their credit, the interior is well thought out and designed. Even though it is a copy out of the europeans playbook
Sound familiar?
Old 01-10-13, 09:46 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by EthanV
Blueprint...What you said is not wrong but that is one way of the appeasement for everybody...IS could be better but not at this moment! Let see it real life.
You are right its not for everyone. They know who they are.

Originally Posted by SW10ES
Just for grins...here is the 4GS thread, its like 3,400 posts long...and closed...with multiple members banned from fighting within it:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...-pics-251.html

Some quotes:

This person now owns a 4GS:

Sound familiar?
Yup. If you noticed I didn't even reply to that. And that is just here, venture elsewhere and you would think the new GS was raping people. We even had a thread about people saying the rear looks like a Sonata

Now this is not to say that there are not good posts or points that we may disagree with. If someone thinks the GS/IS etc is ugly, I can totally understand that. If they hate the new direction, I can understand that. Even if they just hate Lexus blindly, I can even understand that.

But to go overboard is well, going overboard. Which is how some people feel about the Lexus grills today.
Old 01-10-13, 09:52 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I know, its funny. In real life though, people really like the GS. They guy who put on my clear bra has an M5 (the Clear Bra business must be good!) and he just couldn't say enough good things, had tons of questions for me about it, e stood there and just looked at it and said "Wow...I love it". I have people come up to me a lot and ask me about it, how I like it, etc. Thats never happened to me in a Lexus before.

I suppose the people that hate it keep to themselves without the anonymity of the internet LOL
Old 01-10-13, 10:24 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,393 Likes on 1,568 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
Sedan proportions dictate that the edge where the glass and C-pillar meet must be above the center of the rear wheel.
not sure where this is in stone. and in my chop, i didn't change that point - i just started the waist line curve up further along the side.

point you indicate on LS is not over the center of the rear wheel either for example (not that that's bad or anything!)

Removing the skirt curve is not a good idea. What you don't see in your image is that there is a lot of wonderful form language going on down there, one does not simply photoshop that out.
'one' can do whatever one wants.

anyway, this new IS (and 4GS f-sport) can never be accused of being bland, which is a BIG change for lexus and is generating lots of buzz... and sales.
Old 01-10-13, 10:25 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is the Mark Levinson system downgraded somehow? I can't find the tweeters for the front occupants at all. There should be 3 speakers for each passenger.
Old 01-10-13, 10:27 PM
bagyo
Driver

Man, i love this gen IS in and out. Finally and IS that doesn't look feminine! Bold, Fresh, and the Future. Way to make an aggressive statement Lexus! About the exterior, its really not that crazy. Look at the BMW M3 and M5 front facia and AMG Black series cars from Mercedes, they are just as aggressive. The only difference between Lexus and the Germans cars, is that Lexus uses the L-Finesse design philosophy.
Old 01-10-13, 10:38 PM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts

I have been around Lexus forums a long time, not as long as Blueprint and the crew obviously, but the story is always the same.

1. New model is coming out, people post pages upon pages of all the things they hope it will be, want it to be, etc. The vast majority of those things are completely unrealistic.
2. Pictures get leaked, invariably right before the big reveal.
3. Everybody freaks out, "OMG, its so hideous, Lexus has shot themselves in the foot with this one, I would never trade my 1991 ES250 in on that thing", "thank God we have our *insert previous generation of aforementioned model here*, we better keep them forever because Lexus will never build another car that we want to drive". "My car is the epitome of everything Lexus could have designed, if they would just make the new car look more like my car, it'd be hot."
4. People do all kinds of photoshops to make the car look like what they wished it looked like. Most look horrible...some look surprisingly good.
5. People see the car in person...and it looks better than in pictures. The honest folks will post this. Bedlam ensues, people get banned, moderators turn on moderators.
6. The model comes out and...people buy it. It sells better than the previous model!
7. A new subforum pops up, full of happy next generation owners and the community prospers.

And it all happens again...and again...and again. Don't believe me? Read the thread in every subforum about every new version of a model that comes out.

It'll be fine guys, trust me!
This post is so spot on it's hilarious.
Old 01-10-13, 10:51 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by natnut
This post is so spot on it's hilarious.
I couldn't agree more. Although I truly believe the new gaping mouth is out of control.
Old 01-10-13, 11:22 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by bagyo
Man, i love this gen IS in and out. Finally and IS that doesn't look feminine! Bold, Fresh, and the Future. Way to make an aggressive statement Lexus! About the exterior, its really not that crazy. Look at the BMW M3 and M5 front facia and AMG Black series cars from Mercedes, they are just as aggressive. The only difference between Lexus and the Germans cars, is that Lexus uses the L-Finesse design philosophy.
So agree. The last gen looked really feminine. I appreciate the new found aggressiveness.
Old 01-10-13, 11:28 PM
circuitt
Pole Position

I'd drive that.
Old 01-11-13, 12:01 AM
MashinA
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been around Lexus forums a long time, not as long as Blueprint and the crew obviously, but the story is always the same.

1. New model is coming out, people post pages upon pages of all the things they hope it will be, want it to be, etc. The vast majority of those things are completely unrealistic.
2. Pictures get leaked, invariably right before the big reveal.
3. Everybody freaks out, "OMG, its so hideous, Lexus has shot themselves in the foot with this one, I would never trade my 1991 ES250 in on that thing", "thank God we have our *insert previous generation of aforementioned model here*, we better keep them forever because Lexus will never build another car that we want to drive". "My car is the epitome of everything Lexus could have designed, if they would just make the new car look more like my car, it'd be hot."
4. People do all kinds of photoshops to make the car look like what they wished it looked like. Most look horrible...some look surprisingly good.
5. People see the car in person...and it looks better than in pictures. The honest folks will post this. Bedlam ensues, people get banned, moderators turn on moderators.
6. The model comes out and...people buy it. It sells better than the previous model!
7. A new subforum pops up, full of happy next generation owners and the community prospers.

And it all happens again...and again...and again. Don't believe me? Read the thread in every subforum about every new version of a model that comes out.

It'll be fine guys, trust me!
exactly!

I feel like a lot of people are pissed, that they just bought 2011 or 2012 IS and now really like this car, but since it wouldn't really be rational to get it right now, they try to find reasons to make themselves hate it lol. Because lets face it...the car is beautiful!
Old 01-11-13, 01:10 AM
davezaristo
Lead Lap

Interior is nice, especially the LF-A style guages..

Exterior is the fugly...reminds me of riced out wingwest kit from the 90s..disgusting...

I hope the non-f package would look more normal...
Old 01-11-13, 01:46 AM
Nigel-JDMParts
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Z
Sure, while I do all the leg work to make sure that they actually work & fit just like OEM..

The ONLY way this is going to happen again, is if Lexus Japan actually installs Fog Lamps on their 2014 IS F-Sport Models...

I just recently worked on this 2013 GS350 F-Sport project...

~ Joe Z

Yes, Joe! We will work it out again.

BTW, the LFA parts that you asked for I already get the price.
let me know if you need anything else.

And your Joe Z IS350 exhaust had installed on our IS350 6 speed manual and the sound is better than the IS F with the 6 speed manual transmission. We can't stop flooring the car....

Quick Reply: 2014 LEXUS IS Official Debut Discussion (merged threads)