IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

2014 LEXUS IS Official Debut Discussion (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-13, 03:30 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
looking at these two pics, are they actually the same front end?
yeah... Lexus said that non f-sport will have different grille (smaller).
Old 01-11-13, 05:02 AM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Blueprint
You are right its not for everyone. They know who they are.

Yup. If you noticed I didn't even reply to that. And that is just here, venture elsewhere and you would think the new GS was raping people. We even had a thread about people saying the rear looks like a Sonata

Now this is not to say that there are not good posts or points that we may disagree with. If someone thinks the GS/IS etc is ugly, I can totally understand that. If they hate the new direction, I can understand that. Even if they just hate Lexus blindly, I can even understand that.

But to go overboard is well, going overboard. Which is how some people feel about the Lexus grills today.
I remember saying that the rear lights looked like Sonata.... but I after I drove the 4GS, I stopped thinking about it and decided to buy it
Old 01-11-13, 05:31 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by SNiiP3R
I remember saying that the rear lights looked like Sonata.... but I after I drove the 4GS, I stopped thinking about it and decided to buy it
I said the rear looks like the Sonata and still it does.Dislike the over sized integrated exhaust ports,bland side design but still have one in my driveway.
The interior is fabulous and I love driving it.Like it even more today then last month when I got it.
Old 01-11-13, 05:32 AM
Slash300zx
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by MashinA
exactly!

I feel like a lot of people are pissed, that they just bought 2011 or 2012 IS and now really like this car, but since it wouldn't really be rational to get it right now, they try to find reasons to make themselves hate it lol. Because lets face it...the car is beautiful!
Not me, I got a 2011 F-Sport and even though I love it, I'll be trading in as soon as the 2014 comes out... can't wait a couple more years for the Is-F... although by that time I probably can trade again The perps of having a lease is I can change cars almost every year if I really wanted
Old 01-11-13, 06:38 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,393 Likes on 1,568 Posts

Originally Posted by SW10ES
Pffft...the discussion about the new GS was EXACTLY like this discussion here.
i don't disagree, but i said the discussion then, and here, is not about whether the GS then or IS now will not do well in the market, it's a discussion of their looks mostly.

based on reading this entire thread, i'd say the majority opinion is that the interior is great, the exterior not really great, and that it will sell great!
Old 01-11-13, 06:41 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,722 Likes on 1,949 Posts

But the discussion of how they look translates into how they will sell. Look at all of Pete's posts with rolls of sales data, etc, plenty of discussions about the car being "too radical" to appeal to people, etc.
Old 01-11-13, 07:38 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i don't disagree, but i said the discussion then, and here, is not about whether the GS then or IS now will not do well in the market, it's a discussion of their looks mostly.

based on reading this entire thread, i'd say the majority opinion is that the interior is great, the exterior not really great, and that it will sell great!
i am actually surprised at how many people like exterior - namely those front lights. Here, i would say most like it.
Old 01-11-13, 08:37 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,063 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Nigel-JDMParts

Yes, Joe! We will work it out again.

BTW, the LFA parts that you asked for I already get the price.
let me know if you need anything else.

And your Joe Z IS350 exhaust had installed on our IS350 6 speed manual and the sound is better than the IS F with the 6 speed manual transmission. We can't stop flooring the car....
Glad to hear your enjoying it Nigel..!!

We will accomplish the same on this 3rd Gen IS350

Send me the details on those parts ASAP, so I can finish up that project as well..

Regards,

Joe Z
Old 01-11-13, 08:38 AM
Wunko
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by MashinA
exactly!

I feel like a lot of people are pissed, that they just bought 2011 or 2012 IS and now really like this car, but since it wouldn't really be rational to get it right now, they try to find reasons to make themselves hate it lol. Because lets face it...the car is beautiful!
Originally Posted by Slash300zx
Not me, I got a 2011 F-Sport and even though I love it, I'll be trading in as soon as the 2014 comes out... can't wait a couple more years for the Is-F... although by that time I probably can trade again The perps of having a lease is I can change cars almost every year if I really wanted
I love my 2011 IS and the F-Sport package sold me on the 2IS. I'll admit the 3IS does make the 2IS look older now. It's certainly aggressive and it's good Lexus is doing that since many out there call Lexus "boring".The 3IS will take some getting used to but I'd definitely consider it if there was a mid-generation refresh or engine change. I'm not an early adopter consumer who gets the latest stuff which is one of the reasons why I ended up with a 2011 IS instead of the 2006 IS.
Old 01-11-13, 08:47 AM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 216 Posts

I don't know how many female buyers are going to be turned away by the new design. I do see a lot of female 2IS drivers on the road.
Old 01-11-13, 08:49 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Wunko
I love my 2011 IS and the F-Sport package sold me on the 2IS. I'll admit the 3IS does make the 2IS look older now. It's certainly aggressive and it's good Lexus is doing that since many out there call Lexus "boring".The 3IS will take some getting used to but I'd definitely consider it if there was a mid-generation refresh or engine change. I'm not an early adopter consumer who gets the latest stuff which is one of the reasons why I ended up with a 2011 IS instead of the 2006 IS.
i do feel that my 2IS is older car now... more so than few months ago. While very nice, even beautiful design, it is aging for sure.
Old 01-11-13, 09:08 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,063 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by spwolf
i do feel that my 2IS is older car now... more so than few months ago. While very nice, even beautiful design, it is aging for sure.
As the 2013 IS's have already hit the showroom floor end of last quarter..
The exiting 2nd Gen IS has been selling for over 8 years now...

~ Joe Z
Old 01-11-13, 09:40 AM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 458 Likes on 303 Posts

Originally Posted by SW10ES
But the discussion of how they look translates into how they will sell. Look at all of Pete's posts with rolls of sales data, etc, plenty of discussions about the car being "too radical" to appeal to people, etc.
Look at the 4GS performance last year 2012 in the USA:
January 93
February 2396
March 2558
April 2006
May 1996
June 2020
July 1662
August 1831
September 1454
October 1521
November 1826
December 2796

Let's forget January 2012's old discontinued 3GS sales.
From February onwards, Lexus only reached its biased low set sales target in 5 of the very first and strongest 11 months.
In 6 of those 11 months, they failed to reach their monthly target of 2,000 units.

At 22,160 in it's debut year of 2012, the 4GS is selling at only 2/3rd of their own previous 3GS predecessor's performance of 33,457 units in 2005.

Sometimes you'll hear the Lexus-biased far right quote that the market is not as good now, as it was when the 3GS debuted in 2005, but then look at the competition; regardless of market excuses, the competition is doing fine presently.
In 2012, the more expensive 5 Series is romping away at 56,798.
Moreso, the even more expensive E Class at 65,171 units.
These figures do not include the 6 Series and CLS which sell at 8,000+ units each.

Of course, most of the sales success above is attributed to:
1) the name/badge/image/reputation for quality - which can override what is a genuinely inferior car.
2) body style, engine, and suspension variations. Note how the 6 Series & CLS sell an additional 8k+ units each per year?
Marketing helps, but on its own, it obviously won't get the 4GS from 22k units to the E Class's 65k units, and the 4GS is fresh, while the 2009 E Class is already 3 to 4 years old.

You have the far left like Bimmerfest that is biased towards BMW, and then you have the far right that is biased towards Lexus like dseag2 etc; afterall, this is a Lexus Forum.
I often find myself reading one set of biased views, against another set of biased views, with each person claiming that their opinion is better than their opponent's opinions; worse they even actively try to put their opponent's opinions down.
I prefer to be neutral and just analyse the data.
You'll notice that both sides are good, but in different ways.
You'll notice that both sides have their good and bad points.
You'll notice that both sides have more good, than bad points; otherwise we wouldn't have a car at all.

I own several Lexus models, and each has its strengths and weaknesses, but thankfully, there are more strengths.
A far right Lexus biased person will make out that his Lexus is perfect with no weaknesses at all.
When we talk about weaknesses, we are not saying that the car is bad, and that we won't buy it, but what we are saying is that we want the manufacturer to constructively improve.

With the 3 Series, the design is targeted at the mass market, and that's a major factor in its sales success.
With the new 3IS, if you read properly, I have actually NOT said that it is bad, but I have said that it is good, in a different way.
The mass market is more conservative in tastes, and wants a roomy and comfortable car.
The enthusiast's market is open to more radical styling, and doesn't mind compromises in space, nor a firm ride, etc etc.

The 3IS is targeted towards the niche enthusiast's market.
How this affects sales, only God knows.
I have no crystal ball.
I can only speculate that it will be a tough year for the 3IS in its new design to sell?
Put your bets down now.
Let's see what happens by this time next year.
It's also actually a bit too early to tell, because if the 3IS has a roomy rear, with a comfortable ride, it could do very well...

I have previously constructively recommended that Lexus produce two different body styles; one for the mass market, and a second for the niche enthusiast's market.
Right now, Toyota has variations of the Lexus 4GS in several different body styles including the Crown and Mark X!
Why not have two body styles for the 4GS and actually export it?
A sedan for the mass market, and a 4 door coupe for the niche enthusiast's market?

Toyota has the money to make the 3IS is at least a second body style.
Many years ago, I researched the Toyota Japanese website, and I'm sure they had several compact rear wheel drive body style variations of the Toyota Altezza 1IS.
A second body style would make conservative low set sales targets so much easier to attain, and it would greatly contribute to the proliferation in sales relative to its competitors...

Last edited by peteharvey; 01-11-13 at 10:07 AM.
Old 01-11-13, 10:07 AM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by peteharvey
January 93
February 2396
March 2558
April 2006
May 1996
June 2020
July 1662
August 1831
September 1454
October 1521
November 1826
December 2796

From February onwards, Lexus only reached its biased low set sales target in 5 of the very first and strongest 11 months.
In 6 of those 11 months, they failed to reach their monthly target of 2,000 units.

At 22,160 in it's debut year of 2012, the 4GS is selling at only 2/3rd of their own previous 3GS predecessor's performance of 33,457 units in 2005.

Sometimes you'll hear the Lexus-biased far right quote that the market is not as good now, as it was when the 3GS debuted in 2005, but then look at the competition; regardless of market excuses, the competition is doing fine presently.
These figures do not include the 6 Series and CLS which sell at 8,000+ units each.

1) the name/badge/image/reputation for quality - which can override what is a genuinely inferior car.
2) body style, engine, and suspension variations. Note how the 6 Series & CLS sell an additional 8k+ units each per year?
Marketing helps, but on its own, it obviously won't get the 4GS from 22k units to the E Class's 65k units, and the 4GS is fresh, while the 2009 E Class is already 3 to 4 years old.

You have the far left like Bimmerfest that is biased towards BMW, and then you have the far right that is biased towards Lexus like dseag2 etc; afterall, this is a Lexus Forum.
I often find myself reading one set of biased views, against another set of biased views, with each person claiming that their opinion is better than their opponent's opinions; worse they even actively try to put their opponent's opinions down.
You'll notice that both sides have more good, than bad points; otherwise we wouldn't have a car at all.

I own several Lexus models, and each has its strengths and weaknesses, but thankfully, there are more strengths.
A far right Lexus biased person will make out that his Lexus is perfect with no weaknesses at all.
When we talk about weaknesses, we are not saying that the car is bad, and that we won't buy it, but what we are saying is that we want the manufacturer to constructively improve.

With the 3 Series, the design is targeted at the mass market, and that's a major factor in its sales success.
With the new 3IS, if you read properly, I have actually NOT said that it is bad, but I have said that it is good, in a different way.
The mass market is more conservative in tastes, and wants a roomy and comfortable car.
The enthusiast's market is open to more radical styling, and doesn't mind compromises in space, nor a firm ride, etc etc.

I have no crystal ball.
I can only speculate that it will be a tough year for the 3IS in its new design to sell?
Put your bets down now.

I have previously constructively recommended that Lexus produce two different body styles; one for the mass market, and a second for the niche enthusiast's market.
Right now, Toyota has variations of the Lexus 4GS in several different body styles including the Crown and Mark X!
A sedan for the mass market, and a 4 door coupe for the niche enthusiast's market?

Many years ago, I researched the Toyota Japanese website, and I'm sure they had several compact rear wheel drive body style variations of the Toyota Altezza 1IS.
A second body style would make conservative low set sales targets so much easier to attain, and it would greatly contribute to the proliferation in sales relative to its competitors...
The IS has ALWAYS been an original design. The 2IS even at the end of its life was already inspiring carbon clones like the Acura ILX. The 1IS was responsible for the popularization of clear-lens taillights. The 3IS is no different. Like all IS before it, it's a unique and forward-looking design. It doesn't try to be anything else, nor does it make any apologies for what it is.
Old 01-11-13, 10:11 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,722 Likes on 1,949 Posts

Originally Posted by peteharvey
January 93
February 2396
March 2558
April 2006
May 1996
June 2020
July 1662
August 1831
September 1454
October 1521
November 1826
December 2796

I have no crystal ball.
Put your bets down now.
It's also actually a bit too early to tell, because if the 3IS has a roomy rear, with a comfortable ride, it could do very well...

And...my head exploded.

Lexus' goal for the 4GS was 25,000 units, thats well documented. They're there. It doesn't matter that the E Class sold 65k units, or the 5 series sold 54k units...what matters is that Lexus achieved its goal in sales. Even if there were demand for 65,000 GS's...Lexus doesn't even have the capacity to produce that many cars.

There are people in my industry who do more volume of business than me. I have my goals, they have theirs. My goals are less. Doesn't mean I'm not successful.

Lexus is doing fine, they regained the title of top selling luxury marque, Toyota regained the title of top selling automaker after the Tsunami. They have dealerships full of fresh product to sell. They're doing well, and the new IS is going to do well.

Last edited by SW17LS; 01-11-13 at 10:22 AM.

Quick Reply: 2014 LEXUS IS Official Debut Discussion (merged threads)