IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

2014 LEXUS IS Official Debut Discussion (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-13, 02:26 PM
bjjones
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Overall, this is really a nice design for the 3rd generation IS, but I think Lexus should have saved the radical, yet stunning IS F-sport grill for future F models. And I hope that when mid-cycle refreshes occur, Lexus will discontinue these uncomfortable slender/slanted door armrests with little to no padding (ES, GS & now the IS ). Also not a fan of the chrome/silver aluminum accent pieces on the center console and interior door handles where the knee area would possibly rest for most drivers & passengers. Nevertheless, I salute Lexus for being innovative and daring with their current lineup of automobiles.
Old 01-11-13, 03:08 PM
MashinA
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Vroomin350
Not really, I just bought my 2012 Fsport and if I liked the 2014 I would just go and get it the first day it comes out. What makes you think someone who could afford to buy a 2011 or 2012 cant afford a 2013/2014???

People really DON'T like the car because they don't like the car, and a lot of you need to stop trying to come up with reasons as to why people don't like the car.

Its ugly in pictures, yes, not everyone likes the car, it isn't beautiful in any way except the interior. Will my mind change once I see it in person? Perhaps and I hope so.
Never said they cant afford it I said it wouldnt be rational to have just bought a new car than turn around a year later and buy another. Most people dont do that. And yes it is beautiful and doesnt look ugly in the pictures at all...
Old 01-11-13, 03:12 PM
Vroomin350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MashinA
Never said they cant afford it I said its not a wise financial decision to have just bought a new car than turn around a year later and buy another. Most people dont do that. And yes it is beautiful and doesnt look ugly in the pictures at all...

Thats your opinion brother, I think it looks very ugly and its not because I just bought a 2012.

And just so you know, 1 year later is the BEST time to trade a car in.

My point is people need to stop trying to "justify" why other people find it ugly, if you think it looks good thats great, not everyone feels that way.
Old 01-11-13, 03:20 PM
MashinA
Lexus Champion

Fair enough. Ive never traded a car in so I am curious to find out why 1 year later is the best time. Perhaps u can pm me the info.
Old 01-11-13, 03:25 PM
Vroomin350
Lexus Champion

And you better not trade that beautiful car anytime soon either!

Depending on whether you leased or bought, 1 year later is when you have usually made enough payments to be at a dead even wash, meaning NOT upside down. Anything forward of 1 year the car starts to depreciate even more then it already did. Yes, when you continue to pay after 1 year the payoff amount starts to decrease but so is the value of the car.

It's much more complex but that was a quick breakdown ..
Old 01-11-13, 03:52 PM
ntocamping
Rookie

And you better not trade that beautiful car anytime soon either!

Depending on whether you leased or bought, 1 year later is when you have usually made enough payments to be at a dead even wash, meaning NOT upside down. Anything forward of 1 year the car starts to depreciate even more then it already did. Yes, when you continue to pay after 1 year the payoff amount starts to decrease but so is the value of the car.

It's much more complex but that was a quick breakdown ..
Not sure where you heard this but the worse thing you can do is trade after 1 year. Forget being upside down and assume you paid cash. A car loses more value the second it is driven off the lot than any year after that. If you are justifying not being upside down because you put enough down that is not the same as making a smart decision to trade after 1 year. It just means you put more down than someone else but you still lost more value then you will in subsequent years. A car depreciates the most in the first 3 years. After that it tends to loose much less. Why do you think the majority of leases are for 3 years and not 1.

Don't mean to get off topic but needed to clarify this comment for others who actually might think this is good logic.
Old 01-11-13, 03:58 PM
Vroomin350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ntocamping
Not sure where you heard this but the worse thing you can do is trade after 1 year. Forget being upside down and assume you paid cash. A car loses more value the second it is driven off the lot than any year after that. If you are justifying not being upside down because you put enough down that is not the same as making a smart decision to trade after 1 year. It just means you put more down than someone else but you still lost more value then you will in subsequent years. A car depreciates the most in the first 3 years. After that it tends to loose much less. Why do you think the majority of leases are for 3 years and not 1.

Don't mean to get off topic but needed to clarify this comment for others who actually might think this is good logic.

We'll leave it at this since it is not the appropriate thread, but being that I am a finance manager for a car dealership I can tell you there is logic behind this, whether you understand it or not is different.

For example, if when you first bought the car you were hit with a high interest rate, your best bet is making your payments on time and coming back for a new car at the special APR (0.9-1.9%) etc..

Trading in a car at a dealership is ALWAYS a bad idea ANYHOW, but if you really wanted to, the 1 year mark will be the best time. The ONLY scenario where trading a car 1 year later is HIGHLY unbeneficial is if you paid cash at the time of delivery.

Last edited by Vroomin350; 01-11-13 at 04:10 PM.
Old 01-11-13, 04:02 PM
MashinA
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ntocamping

Thats what I knew to be true, I was curious to hear his point of view. I never tend to trade my cars in or buy brand new from the dealer for this reason amongst others.
Old 01-11-13, 04:30 PM
lexus66666
Rookie

Thank god the new lexus looks awesome... much much better then the 2is
Old 01-11-13, 05:12 PM
ntocamping
Rookie

For example, if when you first bought the car you were hit with a high interest rate, your best bet is making your payments on time and coming back for a new car at the special APR (0.9-1.9%) etc..

Trading in a car at a dealership is ALWAYS a bad idea ANYHOW, but if you really wanted to, the 1 year mark will be the best time. The ONLY scenario where trading a car 1 year later is HIGHLY unbeneficial is if you paid cash at the time of delivery.
Now you are trying to back into your statement by assuming you bought with a high interest rate. Even if you did you can typically refinance anytime after purchase depending on loan terms negating the need to be forced to trade in for a better loan rate. Would you say the same thing if your loan rate was .9 at loan inception. Doubt it.

I agree with your last paragraph though. I never trade and always pay cash. Therefore I am a little different than the average consumer but your blanket statement in your first post that it is always better to trade after 1 year just is not the case unless you want to condition it on things like you did in this post. My philosophy is to pay cash, buy used and sell privately. No better way to buy and sell a car especially in states where a trade does not reduce the taxes on your new car purchase. But then if you do this people in your profession won't make much money so I can understand your willingness for multiple trades and purchases.
Old 01-11-13, 06:22 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
we'll just agree to disagree. looks are subjective, and many cars that appear fugly to me have sold very well.

i'm looking forward to seeing the non f-sport IS (sorry joe z, can't tell hardly at all from those camo'ed ones) and seeing more of all kinds in colors other than white.
Joe Z has a lot better imagination than me... Mr Burns too.

:-).

To me it looks all the same, with different grille insert.
Old 01-11-13, 06:51 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,063 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by spwolf
Joe Z has a lot better imagination than me... Mr Burns too.

:-).

To me it looks all the same, with different grille insert.
Well then I'm sorry to say its "common sense" when you study the photos..

You can even see how the brake ducts are moved over to the Fog Light area found on the non F-Sport bumper.

Two completely different grill setups are also present...

And if its not obvious enough, the center of the F-Sport has a large horizontal solid area..!!

If you still can't determine that there are TWO different bumpers, then all I can say is wait and see... LoL

Joe Z

Attached Thumbnails 2014 LEXUS IS Official Debut Discussion (merged threads)-image.jpg   2014 LEXUS IS Official Debut Discussion (merged threads)-23-2014-lexus-is-live.jpg  

Last edited by Joe Z; 01-11-13 at 08:20 PM.
Old 01-11-13, 06:56 PM
infate
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

So far... the 4GS looks the best out of all these new Lexuses or Lexi.... its clean and not taken too far. The 3IS rear and sides just don't flow well at all.
Old 01-11-13, 08:04 PM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

i think the 2nd IS looked good when it came out, but its an old design and the rear end has some aesthic issues imho...

the 2003-2006 g sedans look better than the IS.

the new IS looks stunning imho. most often the haters are the ones who have the previous model and have envy...
Old 01-11-13, 08:18 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by peteharvey
Look at the 4GS performance last year 2012 in the USA:
January 93
February 2396
March 2558
April 2006
May 1996
June 2020
July 1662
August 1831
September 1454
October 1521
November 1826
December 2796

Let's forget January 2012's old discontinued 3GS sales.
From February onwards, Lexus only reached its biased low set sales target in 5 of the very first and strongest 11 months.
In 6 of those 11 months, they failed to reach their monthly target of 2,000 units.

At 22,160 in it's debut year of 2012, the 4GS is selling at only 2/3rd of their own previous 3GS predecessor's performance of 33,457 units in 2005.

Sometimes you'll hear the Lexus-biased far right quote that the market is not as good now, as it was when the 3GS debuted in 2005, but then look at the competition; regardless of market excuses, the competition is doing fine presently.
In 2012, the more expensive 5 Series is romping away at 56,798.
Moreso, the even more expensive E Class at 65,171 units.
These figures do not include the 6 Series and CLS which sell at 8,000+ units each.

Of course, most of the sales success above is attributed to:
1) the name/badge/image/reputation for quality - which can override what is a genuinely inferior car.
2) body style, engine, and suspension variations. Note how the 6 Series & CLS sell an additional 8k+ units each per year?
Marketing helps, but on its own, it obviously won't get the 4GS from 22k units to the E Class's 65k units, and the 4GS is fresh, while the 2009 E Class is already 3 to 4 years old.

You have the far left like Bimmerfest that is biased towards BMW, and then you have the far right that is biased towards Lexus like dseag2 etc; afterall, this is a Lexus Forum.
I often find myself reading one set of biased views, against another set of biased views, with each person claiming that their opinion is better than their opponent's opinions; worse they even actively try to put their opponent's opinions down.
I prefer to be neutral and just analyse the data.
You'll notice that both sides are good, but in different ways.
You'll notice that both sides have their good and bad points.
You'll notice that both sides have more good, than bad points; otherwise we wouldn't have a car at all.

I own several Lexus models, and each has its strengths and weaknesses, but thankfully, there are more strengths.
A far right Lexus biased person will make out that his Lexus is perfect with no weaknesses at all.
When we talk about weaknesses, we are not saying that the car is bad, and that we won't buy it, but what we are saying is that we want the manufacturer to constructively improve.

With the 3 Series, the design is targeted at the mass market, and that's a major factor in its sales success.
With the new 3IS, if you read properly, I have actually NOT said that it is bad, but I have said that it is good, in a different way.
The mass market is more conservative in tastes, and wants a roomy and comfortable car.
The enthusiast's market is open to more radical styling, and doesn't mind compromises in space, nor a firm ride, etc etc.

The 3IS is targeted towards the niche enthusiast's market.
How this affects sales, only God knows.
I have no crystal ball.
I can only speculate that it will be a tough year for the 3IS in its new design to sell?
Put your bets down now.
Let's see what happens by this time next year.
It's also actually a bit too early to tell, because if the 3IS has a roomy rear, with a comfortable ride, it could do very well...

I have previously constructively recommended that Lexus produce two different body styles; one for the mass market, and a second for the niche enthusiast's market.
Right now, Toyota has variations of the Lexus 4GS in several different body styles including the Crown and Mark X!
Why not have two body styles for the 4GS and actually export it?
A sedan for the mass market, and a 4 door coupe for the niche enthusiast's market?

Toyota has the money to make the 3IS is at least a second body style.
Many years ago, I researched the Toyota Japanese website, and I'm sure they had several compact rear wheel drive body style variations of the Toyota Altezza 1IS.
A second body style would make conservative low set sales targets so much easier to attain, and it would greatly contribute to the proliferation in sales relative to its competitors...
Funny that I'm singled out as biased toward Lexus when I haven't actually owned one in 6 years prior to my 4GS. My last 3 cars were Audis, and prior to that, Acuras and Infinitis. We still have an Infiniti convertible in our garage. I am always open to any brand that I think builds great cars that won't have to be in the shop every other month. If I'm critical of BMWs, it's just because I think they are resting on old laurels and brand cache that no longer justifies the price. I test drove a 335is convertible as I was trading my '10 S5 Cab and ended up trading for an '11 S5 Cab due to the turbo lag and uncomfortable ride with the runflat tires in the 335is. I know what BMW has to offer, so I'm not a "fan boy" for any brand.

If I'm now far right for Lexus, it is only because the 4GS has once again made me a believer in what Lexus can accomplish when it dials out the boredom. The 4GS is a great car, hands down.

Last edited by dseag2; 01-11-13 at 08:33 PM.

Quick Reply: 2014 LEXUS IS Official Debut Discussion (merged threads)