IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

2014 LEXUS IS Official Debut Discussion (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-13, 03:47 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by RXSF
Lexus needs to realize that eventually, they will have to do some sort of column mounted shifter so that the remote touch and cup holders have a spot. You just cant have remote touch, cup holders, and shifter all in the same area.

the best location for cup holders if they really want al three would be in front of the shifter underneath the dash
Odd, all the other Lexus with remote touch are fine. It wasn't inspired by the Avalon either.

Mind you I HATE exposed cupholders. I'll have to sit in the car myself but Lexus has always had very smart interiors so they must figure its for a reason. Or the IS is that much of a drivers car so **** drinks
Old 01-12-13, 04:00 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
who cares about the passenger's cup location, aint drinking in my car
Your passenger will care because the 3IS's cupholders kill the passenger's armrest completely. Whether he or she drinks or not does not matter one bit.
Old 01-12-13, 04:32 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by ydooby
Your passenger will care because the 3IS's cupholders kill the passenger's armrest completely. Whether he or she drinks or not does not matter one bit.
i dont care if they care, they can go back or not ride with me, lol.

i hog front armrest anyway, it is not as if IS is a huge car so you can have two hands on it.
Old 01-12-13, 04:33 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Blueprint
Odd, all the other Lexus with remote touch are fine. It wasn't inspired by the Avalon either.

Mind you I HATE exposed cupholders. I'll have to sit in the car myself but Lexus has always had very smart interiors so they must figure its for a reason. Or the IS is that much of a drivers car so **** drinks
exposed cup holders can be used as storage too... i put my cell phone in there, as well as other stuff.
Old 01-12-13, 04:43 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by spwolf
i dont care if they care, they can go back or not ride with me, lol.
That's just you. Many people actually have passengers whose comfort they care about. Not being able to please one's significant other during a test drive may just be enough to kill a deal.
i hog front armrest anyway, it is not as if IS is a huge car so you can have two hands on it.
There certainly is enough room for two elbows in the IS. I mean, if you consider the current implementation of the 3IS's armrest to be adequate for the driver, why wouldn't replacing the cupholders with another half of the armrest be adequate for the passenger as well? Just take a look at any other car in the IS's class.

Last edited by ydooby; 01-12-13 at 04:49 PM.
Old 01-12-13, 05:18 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ydooby
That's just you. Many people actually have passengers whose comfort they care about. Not being able to please one's significant other during a test drive may just be enough to kill a deal.There certainly is enough room for two elbows in the IS. I mean, if you consider the current implementation of the 3IS's armrest to be adequate for the driver, why wouldn't replacing the cupholders with another half of the armrest be adequate for the passenger as well? Just take a look at any other car in the IS's class.
i just came back from 6 hour trip in my 2IS... I am pretty sure I know what i am talking about. It is not comfortable to have two arms there, they rub and it never happens in the end. If you want, they can put their arm in new 3IS, it has soft plastic around it but again, nobody does it.

New interior is a lot nicer and also more functional than my top end 2IS that i drive every day, including dual cup holders.

Ask any real 2IS owner and >90% will say they like it a lot better this way.
It is drivers cabin, no apologies.
Old 01-12-13, 06:15 PM
unc879wins
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Volk VRG2s... front 19 x 9.5 and rear 19 x 10.5?
Old 01-12-13, 06:19 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
have you seen it in person?
I've thoroughly examined all the Lexus designs in person since L-Finesse debuted, and I have a good idea of what this will look like in person. I know for a fact pictures are not conveying all the subtle details that will come together very cohesively in person.

by this logic, the pontiac aztek should have sold like hotcakes.
Nice strawman argument there .

guessing critics here have been a wide variety of ages.
Shall we do a survey? How about we bet on it? I bet that most critics of the design here on CL are over 35, while most who like the design are under 35.

i know not directed at me, and i'm not sure it will, but you have repeatedly said that more edgy designs don't do well over time.
Yes, and this may not age well after all, we don't know yet. However this is the F-Sport model, not the regular IS. The regular IS will be more toned down in look.

This reminds me a lot of the 1IS when it debuted. The radical "Altezza" taillights that Lexus pioneered with that car made the car polarizing when it first came out, but I would say it has aged pretty well. Even the 2GS when it debuted, with it's quad taillights and quad headlights, it was pretty bold and daring styling at the time. Did the 2GS age poorly? I would say it has aged very well also.

it is? tell that to a drifter.
Not meaning to be rude at all to any drifters, but I know of some skilled drifters myself, and none of them have problems with foot parking brakes.

Originally Posted by SW10ES
I have been around Lexus forums a long time, not as long as Blueprint and the crew obviously, but the story is always the same.

1. New model is coming out, people post pages upon pages of all the things they hope it will be, want it to be, etc. The vast majority of those things are completely unrealistic.
2. Pictures get leaked, invariably right before the big reveal.
3. Everybody freaks out, "OMG, its so hideous, Lexus has shot themselves in the foot with this one, I would never trade my 1991 ES250 in on that thing", "thank God we have our *insert previous generation of aforementioned model here*, we better keep them forever because Lexus will never build another car that we want to drive". "My car is the epitome of everything Lexus could have designed, if they would just make the new car look more like my car, it'd be hot."
4. People do all kinds of photoshops to make the car look like what they wished it looked like. Most look horrible...some look surprisingly good.
5. People see the car in person...and it looks better than in pictures. The honest folks will post this. Bedlam ensues, people get banned, moderators turn on moderators.
6. The model comes out and...people buy it. It sells better than the previous model!
7. A new subforum pops up, full of happy next generation owners and the community prospers.

And it all happens again...and again...and again. Don't believe me? Read the thread in every subforum about every new version of a model that comes out.

It'll be fine guys, trust me!
Quoted for truth .

Originally Posted by SW10ES
Yep! And look at you and all the generations of Lexus you've owned. A brand has got to evolve, and Lexus has always lacked a "look"...and now they have it. Its not for everybody, but something thats distinctive never is. Things that are for everybody are boring and bland, Lexus spent too many years trying to appeal to everybody.

Just yesterday my GS was parked in a lot backed in and as I was walking up to it from the front I thought to myself "Man, I can't believe I thought that car was ugly...what a beautiful car"

Pffft...the discussion about the new GS was EXACTLY like this discussion here. I remember when the China pictures were leaked about the new ES. I remember when the '07 ES was leaked. EXACTLY the same discussion, with exactly the same discussion of how Lexus had shot themselves in the foot, and that the new model couldn't possibly sell as well as the old model. I remember the same when the 3GS came out. Hell...people STILL say that about the LS460 vs the LS430, and the LS460 has sold far better than the 430 ever did.

New ES is doing great, new GS is doing great, new LS is doing great...the new IS will do great. Opposed to what some people would say, being the #1 in sales in a segment is not the only definition of success.
Exactly, very well put .

Lexus for a time went through quite a "bland" phase, and tried to appeal to everybody. Now Lexus has awoken to so speak, and the TRUE Japanese spirit of Lexus is easily seen in their new designs. It's not for everyone, but the designs are true in their spirit, and they are distinctively Lexus.

Going back to the 1990s, the 1SC, 1IS and 2GS weren't for everyone either, and still aren't for everyone. However they all became popular cars, and now they have loyal cult followings for each of the models.

Originally Posted by Joeb427
I said the rear looks like the Sonata and still it does.Dislike the over sized integrated exhaust ports,bland side design but still have one in my driveway.
The interior is fabulous and I love driving it.Like it even more today then last month when I got it.
Myself and several others said the Sonata looks like a Lexus, not the other way around. And it still does .
Old 01-12-13, 06:54 PM
EthanV
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Uhmm Three days

Last edited by EthanV; 01-12-13 at 07:09 PM.
Old 01-12-13, 07:08 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,063 Likes on 586 Posts

Originally Posted by LH1
Joe, Have you driven it yet?
It's on my "to do" list....

Joe Z
Old 01-12-13, 07:10 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,063 Likes on 586 Posts

Yes I think we all know there are two different grill / bumper setups, but for some, me at least, the camo pics aren't enough to convey what the non fsport will really look like when all that crap is taken off.
Well the cameo is just a vinyl wrap.... So all you have to do is pay attention to the bumper lines...

I guess you'll see what I mean in two days..

~ Joe Z
Old 01-12-13, 07:20 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 174 Likes on 127 Posts

i just came back from 6 hour trip in my 2IS... I am pretty sure I know what i am talking about. It is not comfortable to have two arms there, they rub and it never happens in the end. If you want, they can put their arm in new 3IS, it has soft plastic around it but again, nobody does it.

New interior is a lot nicer and also more functional than my top end 2IS that i drive every day, including dual cup holders.

Ask any real 2IS owner and >90% will say they like it a lot better this way.
It is drivers cabin, no apologies.
no car is without fault and the 3IS is/will be no exception. that said, there isn't much question that the interior of the 3IS is undeniably upgraded from that of the previous generation's, although lexus may have erred on the positioning of the front cup holders. some are invariably going to classify exposed cup holders as being not befitting of a car of its intended caliber.

the exterior is another story.
Old 01-12-13, 08:14 PM
cb804
Driver

So where does the front license plate get mounted? Is that really the official grille? Look at these photos from Motor Trend. It looks like a 2 piece grill on the cars they tested.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...e_first_drive/
Attached Thumbnails 2014 LEXUS IS Official Debut Discussion (merged threads)-2014.jpg  
Old 01-12-13, 08:27 PM
LexFather

exposed cup holders can be used as storage too... i put my cell phone in there, as well as other stuff.
I love covers and you simply open the cupholder. To me from an aesthetic standpoint I love to see a clean dash. It could be my personality, I literally keep my cupholders closed as much as possible.
Old 01-12-13, 08:29 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by cb804
So where does the front license plate get mounted? Is that really the official grille? Look at these photos from Motor Trend. It looks like a 2 piece grill on the cars they tested.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...e_first_drive/
Supposedly two piece grill for non Fsport model similar to GS front grill design. As for Fsport predator grill who knows how license plate will get mounted.

Quick Reply: 2014 LEXUS IS Official Debut Discussion (merged threads)