IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

2014 LEXUS IS Official Debut Discussion (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-13, 08:01 AM
NApower
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SL222
Seriously I still dont get why people are complaining.
It looks better in every way then any other sedan out there. It was about time someone does an agressive looking car from factory.
I have been following the 3IS on CL for a while as an observer but I just couldn't take it anymore... When Lexus wasn't buidling "exciting" cars, people complained (I would love to use the b-word but don't want to **** off anyone here...); when they now start building cars that are fun to drive and looks GENUINE, unlike anything out there, people still complain.

What do you people want?!

The IS line is suppsoed to attract the younger crowds and I think that goes both physically and mentally, meaning you can be physically 50 but if your mental age is 28, you can still be attracted to the new IS. On the other hand, you can be physically 28 and mentally 50 you probably prefer the more conservative styling that every other brands have to offer. Also, Lexus has made the point that since the IS is not a bench mark in this segment so they can't afford to be conservative, they have to be bold, offer something others don't in order to make a splash in this ultra-competitive segment.

So... what do you guys expect otherwise?!

The bottom line is, take your money where your mouth is and buy the 3er or Q50 if you think they are better, I personally is ready to trade in my '06 IS350 with a '14 IS350 F-sport as soon as it arrives at my local dealership.

Oh by the way, the spindles are here to stay, whether you like it or not, keeping saying that it looks like the "predator" is getting old...
Old 01-14-13, 08:02 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

what else would you have it changed to? Lever on the armrest is a waste of space, especially when you need the space for something more useful like cupholders, Sport dial, and the mouse thing. Some cars have an electronic button for the parking brake, but what happens when your battery dies? Parking brake needs to stay 100% mechanical.
Old 01-14-13, 08:03 AM
SL222
Rookie

Could be worse, could be electric.
Makes for a cleaner interior though
Old 01-14-13, 08:09 AM
SL222
Rookie

In fact I hope most people dont like it so I can get a hand on a used one for cheaper in 3 years and be different.

What will happen however is that it will sell well, better then 2is in my opinion. In 2-3 years most 2is owners will switch over and it wiil be the nicest car out there lol.

It's a human nature I guess to complain all the time.
Old 01-14-13, 08:09 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by NApower
I have been following the 3IS on CL for a while as an observer but I just couldn't take it anymore... When Lexus wasn't buidling "exciting" cars, people complained (I would love to use the b-word but don't want to **** off anyone here...); when they now start building cars that are fun to drive and looks GENUINE, unlike anything out there, people still complain.

What do you people want?!

The IS line is suppsoed to attract the younger crowds and I think that goes both physically and mentally, meaning you can be physically 50 but if your mental age is 28, you can still be attracted to the new IS. On the other hand, you can be physically 28 and mentally 50 you probably prefer the more conservative styling that every other brands have to offer. Also, Lexus has made the point that since the IS is not a bench mark in this segment so they can't afford to be conservative, they have to be bold, offer something others don't in order to make a splash in this ultra-competitive segment.

So... what do you guys expect otherwise?!

The bottom line is, take your money where your mouth is and buy the 3er or Q50 if you think they are better, I personally is ready to trade in my '06 IS350 with a '14 IS350 F-sport as soon as it arrives at my local dealership.

Oh by the way, the spindles are here to stay, whether you like it or not, keeping saying that it looks like the "predator" is getting old...
heh, this is what Lexus has said openly - our designs will not be made to attract everyone anymore. And thats ok.

In fact, there is a story that one of the shareholders in meeting asked them to return to non-predator grilles since they are too radical for Lexus.... and thats ok.
Old 01-14-13, 08:15 AM
SL222
Rookie

While i see that some people might not like the huge grille, i dont see the reason to complain about it either. Just get the non f sport model and be done with the whining.
Old 01-14-13, 08:17 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by UpSideDown
I wonder why Lexus insist to use the same old foot operated parking brake on a new designed car in 2013.
Must be cost savings. Also the lack of an electronic parking brake means they don't have auto-H.

Be fair to them though - they deliver a hell of a car for significantly less than BMW charges. You should expect a few shortcuts. The same is true of the Genesis. I think they put the money in the features that have more perceived value like the nav screen, leather dash, etc.
Old 01-14-13, 08:27 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
what else would you have it changed to? Lever on the armrest is a waste of space, especially when you need the space for something more useful like cupholders, Sport dial, and the mouse thing. Some cars have an electronic button for the parking brake, but what happens when your battery dies? Parking brake needs to stay 100% mechanical.

i think here it is mostly due to the sporty nature of the car itself... it would really suck if your sport sedan had dial for transmission, just so you can have one more cup holder in there :-).

i think they used the space to the max here while still making it sporty... i like how central tunel is all the same height, like in LFA, just with cupholders :-). Everything looks cozy like in a sports car. I also like other LFA clues like vents and shape of upper dashboard (oval)... I really like the way they did the screen integration, with big piece of glass and screen inside, not plastics around the screen like in GS. Kneepads are great too. Steering wheel too. Seats a lot better than before, a lot. Everything is overdesigned, as it should be in luxury car. Every area has been thought off... we can see how parts of the door (where switches are) go into the dashboard. And the combo meters? Car seller. Leave that souless one color one material thing to the germans, thats their way of doing things.

Only thing i am looking at while comparing to my top spec 2IS is compartments inside doors, they cant be extended out anymore. Not that I used them, but it was a thing that differentiated it from cheap cars.

So interior, imho, with class leading knee space as said by Lexus, is huge improvement overall.

I still have to be convinced about the lights - not grille, I think predator is great... and not about separated Ls, that might end up great... but shape of those headlights with bumper going into them. I am looking forward to real life pics from the reveal coming tomorrow... decisions have to be made!
Old 01-14-13, 08:31 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by *Batman*
Must be cost savings. Also the lack of an electronic parking brake means they don't have auto-H.

Be fair to them though - they deliver a hell of a car for significantly less than BMW charges. You should expect a few shortcuts. The same is true of the Genesis. I think they put the money in the features that have more perceived value like the nav screen, leather dash, etc.
i am not so sure that electronic park brake is more expensive these days though... it might be actually cheaper to do. It probably has more to do with reliability and people being used to it than anything else. Afterall, IS has all this electronic systems inside already that apply brakes such as hold hill feature.

However when electronic parking brake breaks, it is not so simple... not sure how BMW does it, but some VW's have to be towed. On Avensis, which has electronic brake, there is a screw in the trunk that has to be turned over 400 times to release brake if electronics fail.
Old 01-14-13, 10:04 AM
chowner
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone know how the backseat legroom is in the new IS ? Is it the same as current models? If so, that's pretty ****ty.
Old 01-14-13, 10:23 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by *Batman*

The 5 series is based off the 7 series now...to save costs, instead of having its own platform in the past. I think I can live with a shared electronic brake All car brands figure out ways to save on costs.
Old 01-14-13, 10:24 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,455 Likes on 1,609 Posts

Originally Posted by chowner
Anyone know how the backseat legroom is in the new IS ? Is it the same as current models? If so, that's pretty ****ty.
it's supposed to be considerably better, one reason for the longer wheelbase and car.
Old 01-14-13, 10:27 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Love the LFA style gauge design.
Hope the GS midcycle refresh has that set up.
Old 01-14-13, 10:36 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by chowner
just looking at it, you can definitely tell its bigger than a 2IS backseat
Old 01-14-13, 12:04 PM
LexFather

I wonder if that is the F sport rear seats or standard b/c that rear middle hump is quite high, looks like a 4 seater. I can't believe how LFA influenced the car is inside and WE HAVE TO THANK LEXUS for offering red leather. We have asked for it for YEARS and they are DELIVERING.

Looking at the Q50, it was like the 3 series in execution, very evolutionary and they have to, they are bread and butter. Lexus really went off the edge here with the IS, it seems very exciting in comparison. I can't wait to see the coupes or IS F.

Quick Reply: 2014 LEXUS IS Official Debut Discussion (merged threads)