IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

2014 LEXUS IS Official Debut Discussion (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-13, 08:18 AM
B16da9
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by wednesday
This woman likes it, especially in F sport trim!
Yes, but you're a "Car person" the people I asked were regular none car enthusiast.
Old 01-25-13, 08:52 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by natnut
I agree. Some people might not want the stigma of a "chick car". Looks like there's no danger of that with the new IS.
This is actually a big consideration for me. The last car definitely convinced many of my friends to get other brands (BMW, Infiniti, Audi). This looks mean and aggressive...something way more suited to the car I wanna drive
Old 01-25-13, 10:01 AM
EthanV
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tw88
Do people not care about performance anymore? 99% of the comments are about how the car looks. I find it disappointing that the new IS350 and IS350F-Sport didn't even gain 1 hp over the past few years. Come on Lexus! You couldn't even find an extra 20-30hp for the F Sport version??? I want more power!!!
Exactly! 50k for an engine which is the heart of the car not even make you woww factor!
Old 01-25-13, 10:07 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 162 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by EthanV
Exactly! 50k for an engine which is the heart of the car not even make you woww factor!
whats wrong with 2GR-FSE engine? Nothing.

You guys want IS-F i guess... but for 50k :-)
Old 01-25-13, 11:45 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,772 Likes on 1,979 Posts

Originally Posted by happy1977
Thanks for the clarification about the ride smoothness due to AVS.

It was so funny coz we still have our old '02 Corolla and the ride is smoother than the '12 IS.

Having a smooth ride is underrated even if it's a sport-look-a-like car.

That makes me ask, why would you want a stiff ride anyways? Why is that even appealing?
Put your Corolla into a turn though and see which is more satisfying to drive.

Nobody *wants* a stiff ride, but generally flatter, more precise handling comes with the tradeoff of a stiffer ride. Thats the beauty of the AVS suspension, in Normal my GS rides incredibly well, better I feel than my ES did, but in Sport S+ mode you get a stiffer, more sport oriented ride.

If you want a smooth and quiet ride, and handling is unimportant enough for you to have the complaint that your Corolla rides better than your IS, you should never have bought the IS. Thats the sort of consumer the ES is designed for.
Old 01-25-13, 02:33 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

IS has good dumping, at least non IS F-Sport does... so it never crashes over.

But again, it is something that should be solved on 3IS. It is not just AVS, regular models now have less flex which has let them ease up suspension and still deliver better handling. They have been doing this with every new model coming out from Toyota.
Old 01-25-13, 06:10 PM
EthanV
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by spwolf
whats wrong with 2GR-FSE engine? Nothing.

You guys want IS-F i guess... but for 50k :-)
Who said 50k for IS F...I didn't.. IS F is IS F .... Why not wanting better engine than 2GR FSE. I could have said other way like you can watch an old tv for 10 years of course it's still working but it's old ... Newer engine of course it will be nicer isn't it. Dont you want nicer TV lol? You dont care but we care! Own to each opinion!
Old 01-25-13, 06:18 PM
two2tone
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Who said 50k for IS F...I didn't.. IS F is IS F .... Why not wanting better engine than 2GR FSE. I could have said other way like you can watch an old tv for 10 years of course it's still working but it's old ... Newer engine of course it will be nicer isn't it. Dont you want nicer TV lol? You dont care but we care! Own to each opinion!
I'd have to agree with you... I was thinking the same thing... Why spend 50k , when you can buy and used IS350 for a fraction of that price with same amount of power... nobody wants the see the same engine on different gen... 1IS had 2jz , 2IS has 2gr, 3IS should have something new without having to shell out gazillion on ISF... 335i will have upgrades... 3IS engine is definately dissapointing engine-wise
Old 01-25-13, 07:08 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

i get it, you want to get told it is new engine so you feel better :-).

otherwise it is excellent engine and with 8AT, not sure whats better out there, especially stock.
Old 01-25-13, 07:58 PM
happy1977
Instructor

Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by SW10ES
Put your Corolla into a turn though and see which is more satisfying to drive.

Nobody *wants* a stiff ride, but generally flatter, more precise handling comes with the tradeoff of a stiffer ride. Thats the beauty of the AVS suspension, in Normal my GS rides incredibly well, better I feel than my ES did, but in Sport S+ mode you get a stiffer, more sport oriented ride.

If you want a smooth and quiet ride, and handling is unimportant enough for you to have the complaint that your Corolla rides better than your IS, you should never have bought the IS. Thats the sort of consumer the ES is designed for.
So the AVS makes the ride like the ES or better? That's good news. And no, the IS was just a loaner from the dealer. Coz I love this new IS and would at least like to have the smooth ride.
Old 01-25-13, 08:35 PM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by two2tone
I'd have to agree with you... I was thinking the same thing... Why spend 50k , when you can buy and used IS350 for a fraction of that price with same amount of power... nobody wants the see the same engine on different gen... 1IS had 2jz , 2IS has 2gr, 3IS should have something new without having to shell out gazillion on ISF... 335i will have upgrades... 3IS engine is definately dissapointing engine-wise
A 3IS engine will easily outlast a 335i engine and unless you modify the 335i engine, (thereby increasing wear and tear and further reducing engine life), an IS350 will match a 335i 0-100 or 1/4 mile.
Old 01-26-13, 07:26 AM
1111GS
Forum Moderator

Received 98 Likes on 86 Posts

Looks real nice in person, the frontal view in particular.... This, the GS, LF, LF Sport got a lot of attention. to Lexus.

Last edited by 1111GS; 05-22-21 at 10:17 AM.
Old 01-26-13, 08:52 AM
Xanadu350
Racer

Received 150 Likes on 109 Posts

I wonder if this means all we will see are photos from members here showing off their new IS in black or nebula grey. LOL

I wish they would offer that steele blue LFA color
Old 01-26-13, 09:21 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,772 Likes on 1,979 Posts

Originally Posted by happy1977
So the AVS makes the ride like the ES or better? That's good news. And no, the IS was just a loaner from the dealer. Coz I love this new IS and would at least like to have the smooth ride.
The suspension is definitely firmer than the ES, and even in comfort mode you can feel that firmness when going over bumps, speed bumps at low speeds. However, at speed the GS glides along so smoothly and solidly, thats where I think it definitely rides better than the ES. So, low speed cushiness I give the ES the edge, but on the road driving both highway and around town I think the GS rides better, the solidity and glasslike ride reminds me a lot of the LS.
Old 01-26-13, 06:12 PM
EthanV
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by spwolf
i get it, you want to get told it is new engine so you feel better :-).

otherwise it is excellent engine and with 8AT, not sure whats better out there, especially stock.
NO! You dont ever get it? Think again ok! Nicer engine means more torque, high rev and more horse power. Nicer engine didn't mean to have somebody tell you to make you feel better. Thats just what you think and like to yourself not us..ANyway just ignore what I said cause you never get it. ;-)

Quick Reply: 2014 LEXUS IS Official Debut Discussion (merged threads)