IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models
View Poll Results: 2014 lexus IS or 2014 Infiniti Q50 aka G37?
2014 lexus IS
71.81%
2014 Infiniti Q50
28.57%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 259. You may not vote on this poll

POLL. new IS or infiniti Q50 aka g?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-13, 01:38 AM
jhs82
Lead Lap

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by blksolara
After seeing the engine specs of the Q50 Hybrid - I feel kind of bad purchasing a 3IS. 370 HP with MPG 30/37.
I been driving my 3IS-F for a month now only hitting 21 AVG MPG.

What is up with the engine technology with Lexus? Thoughts anyone to help me reconfirm my buy for Lexus?
Agreed. To compete with the Q50 hybrid, you'd have to get an GS450h.
Old 08-26-13, 05:09 AM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

After seeing the engine specs of the Q50 Hybrid - I feel kind of bad purchasing a 3IS. 370 HP with MPG 30/37.

What is up with the engine technology with Lexus? Thoughts anyone to help me reconfirm my buy for Lexus?
"The main problem is the integration of the hybrid system. At times, the transition from all-electric mode (which operates at low speeds around town) to combined petrol and electric power could be generously described as abrupt. On several occasions during our time with the car, engagement of the petrol engine caused violent surging and vibrations through the cabin.

Read more: http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/infiniti/q50/65687/infiniti-q50-hybrid-review#ixzz2d4nMj2td"

You're welcome. Never long for a woman based on pictures or a cars based on specs alone.
Old 08-26-13, 05:53 AM
yycdave
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Read the reviews of the Q50 Hybrid. Specs aren't everything.
Old 08-26-13, 07:57 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by SimTide985
Sounds like the problems with the Q50 are easily fixed and there are software updates coming next month to fix the issue(s).
Uhhhh, its not that simple, we got the software update done and it still is a mess, just like all the people complaining on the forum, instagram, facebook etc. If Lexus launched Remote Touch with these glitches the internet would be going crazy. Its mightily quiet I noticed.
Old 08-26-13, 09:04 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Glashub
"The main problem is the integration of the hybrid system. At times, the transition from all-electric mode (which operates at low speeds around town) to combined petrol and electric power could be generously described as abrupt. On several occasions during our time with the car, engagement of the petrol engine caused violent surging and vibrations through the cabin.

Read more: http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/infiniti/q50/65687/infiniti-q50-hybrid-review#ixzz2d4nMj2td"

You're welcome. Never long for a woman based on pictures or a cars based on specs alone.
it is same problems that M35h has with similar powertrain... which is why it was rated far worse than GS450h's system.
Old 08-26-13, 09:32 AM
blksolara
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jhs82
Agreed. To compete with the Q50 hybrid, you'd have to get an GS450h.
Nope, that's still not close. 60 grand for a 338 HP - 29/34 MPG.

The Q50 just blows the IS/GS out of the water looking at the cost and performance+mpg.

I'm seen the negative review by consumer reports but that was very unfair because they used a base model.

I still feel that Q50 has a +1 over Lexus granted I love my interior more than the Q50 but it just makes me sick that I'm going to suffer at the pump and a hybrid can burn me off the line.
Old 08-26-13, 09:35 AM
jmb2027
Driver School Candidate

personally i feel the q50 is ugly as hell
the 3is isn't the best looking either but that side view is really nice
handling wise...i've driven both q50s and is350 fsport..........hands down the 3is wins
Old 08-26-13, 09:44 AM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Blueprint
Uhhhh, its not that simple, we got the software update done and it still is a mess, just like all the people complaining on the forum, instagram, facebook etc. If Lexus launched Remote Touch with these glitches the internet would be going crazy. Its mightily quiet I noticed.
I test drove one the other day and felt embarrassed for the sales guy when after scrolling around menus the lower screen completely froze for a couple of seconds. I gave up on playing with the electronics and just focused on driving it, which at least went well. The sales guy then dissuaded me from the q50 and urged me to pick up a g37 instead...
Old 08-26-13, 10:28 AM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Nope, that's still not close. 60 grand for a 338 HP - 29/34 MPG.

The Q50 just blows the IS/GS out of the water looking at the cost and performance+mpg.

I'm seen the negative review by consumer reports but that was very unfair because they used a base model.

I still feel that Q50 has a +1 over Lexus granted I love my interior more than the Q50 but it just makes me sick that I'm going to suffer at the pump and a hybrid can burn me off the line.
Sorry you have to suffer so much. You prefer a degraded driving experience for more hp, speed, and better gas mileage?

You must've missed this - "The main problem is the integration of the hybrid system. At times, the transition from all-electric mode (which operates at low speeds around town) to combined petrol and electric power could be generously described as abrupt. On several occasions during our time with the car, engagement of the petrol engine caused violent surging and vibrations through the cabin.

Old 08-26-13, 10:50 AM
blksolara
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Glashub
Sorry you have to suffer so much. You prefer a degraded driving experience for more hp, speed, and better gas mileage?

You must've missed this - "The main problem is the integration of the hybrid system. At times, the transition from all-electric mode (which operates at low speeds around town) to combined petrol and electric power could be generously described as abrupt. On several occasions during our time with the car, engagement of the petrol engine caused violent surging and vibrations through the cabin.

Yup, I guess I will have to test drive it for myself to gauge how it is. No doubt the IS has better handling, you can tell the Q50 is a boat but for the better HP/MPG, I like to save the $$$ monthly.

All I'm really stating is that Im disappointed that Lexus couldnt offer something close. With the release of all new hybrid technology, I'm worried my car in a few years will be a slow gas guzzler compared to the new sports/hybrids - Q50, Model S, etc.
Old 08-26-13, 11:16 AM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

You probably will be and so will I -- but by then Teslas will be affordable. I wish we had the hybrid too but let me tell you -- I spent the weekend driving Hwy 1 between Cambria and Big Sur. Know the road? I had a blast and am amazed at the tech and engineering put into the ride/handling. Hit 105 going through a few curves in Sport+ (early morning -- no traffic on the 2 lane) but slowed down out of fear of some small animal crossing the road.

What a machine!!!
Old 08-26-13, 01:05 PM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts

The biggest trap is racing paper specs. Sure the Q50 hybrid is more powerful and gets better mileage but at the cost of the reportedly completely artificial DAS steering and the excess weight of the hybrid making it a bit of a boat (reportedly).

What you should do is go for a test drive of the Q50 hybrid to see if paper specs translates to an enjoyable real life test drive.
Old 08-28-13, 02:44 PM
LexFather

Diego just sent me this

Spoiler below

"If you want the best car for the drag strip, get the Infiniti. For most people in the real world, the IS is the one to get"
Old 08-28-13, 03:26 PM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks Blueprint. I find this guy really irritating though.
Old 08-28-13, 03:45 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

I'm going to guess that you don't like him because he thinks the IS is ugly and no other reason. I find his reviews some of the more enjoyable ones out there personally.

Quick Reply: POLL. new IS or infiniti Q50 aka g?