IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models
View Poll Results: 2014 lexus IS or 2014 Infiniti Q50 aka G37?
2014 lexus IS
71.81%
2014 Infiniti Q50
28.57%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 259. You may not vote on this poll

POLL. new IS or infiniti Q50 aka g?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-13, 09:54 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 270 Likes on 217 Posts

I do like that Q50 has column mounted paddle shifters. I haven't seen that in any of entry level sports sedan.
Old 01-20-13, 10:04 PM
Crester
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dojoman
I do like that Q50 has column mounted paddle shifters. I haven't seen that in any of entry level sports sedan.
Yup... that's the way it should be. Atleast that way you always know what paddle shifts up/down regardless of how the steering wheel is turned.

As for Infiniti Q50 vs. Lexus IS... the Infiniti has a much safer design with nice sculpted body lines. The Lexus IS is much more bold and controversial... that front end is really hard for me to get used to but I still like the car overall. I think more of the people who tend to buy these cars would prefer the styling of the Infiniti.
Old 01-22-13, 12:24 PM
InfamousQ
Rookie

IS350 over Q50. VQ37 & 7 speed will be a carryover, that VQ37 is less refined compared to the old VQ35, course feel & sound, compared to the Lexus. Having owned & driven both the infiniti, my gripe is the slow & clumsy slush box, 5 & 7 speed, down shift is horribly slow. Otherwise, a fun to drive, great handling & performing car. The Lexus engine & tranny is quick, responsive & refined compared to Infiniti.

Also grown to dislike touch screens, fingerprints all over just looks dirty. Looks worse when the sun glares off of them.
Old 01-22-13, 09:16 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by InfamousQ
IS350 over Q50. VQ37 & 7 speed will be a carryover, that VQ37 is less refined compared to the old VQ35, course feel & sound, compared to the Lexus. Having owned & driven both the infiniti, my gripe is the slow & clumsy slush box, 5 & 7 speed, down shift is horribly slow. Otherwise, a fun to drive, great handling & performing car. The Lexus engine & tranny is quick, responsive & refined compared to Infiniti.

Also grown to dislike touch screens, fingerprints all over just looks dirty. Looks worse when the sun glares off of them.
Agreed on the touch screens. Too many nasty fingerprints.
Old 01-23-13, 09:45 AM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Crester
Yup... that's the way it should be. Atleast that way you always know what paddle shifts up/down regardless of how the steering wheel is turned.

As for Infiniti Q50 vs. Lexus IS... the Infiniti has a much safer design with nice sculpted body lines. The Lexus IS is much more bold and controversial... that front end is really hard for me to get used to but I still like the car overall. I think more of the people who tend to buy these cars would prefer the styling of the Infiniti.
i wonder if the new IS will be improved in the frontal offset test. Lexus needs to beef up the framing knowing the last IS was one of the worse performing in the crash test. i would bet the infiniti is still much safer

the infinitis for sure are less refined, and the fact that the last tranny is a little clumsey is a big gripe for sure.
the screens in the infinitis are imho better than the lexus. Why did lexus have to put the navig screen way up top and more difficult to see. The mouse is cumbersome to use imho compared to touch screen. who cares about fingerprints, get a lens cloth and wipe them off.

Last edited by T4Fun; 01-23-13 at 09:49 AM.
Old 01-23-13, 10:19 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts

Why would the Infiniti be much safer? Is there historical evidence that Infiniti cars are safer than Lexus cars. Or are you just basing off the frontal offset test?

The Nav looks big enough that the extra difference in distance won't be a factor. One thing Lexus did right is the recessed screen. That prevents sunlight glare reflecting off the nav screen. The Infiniti screen looks like it could be a sunlight magnet.

From my past experience test driving the M37S vs the new GS, I'd say that Lexus nails cabin ergonomics far better than Infiniti.

However, ultimately it will come down to a personal hands-on experience. Unlike some who are already pre-judgiing the cars before even putting butt in driver's seat, I will give all the candidates a test drive at least and approach with an open mind.

Last edited by natnut; 01-23-13 at 10:22 AM.
Old 01-23-13, 06:51 PM
Crester
Driver School Candidate

For those of you that are praising not having a touchscreen... I dunno. It seems pretty natural that if you want to change something... you touch what you want to change... not turn some **** between your seats to manipulate a pointer on a screen high on the dash.

This is especially because everybody has smartphones and tablets now... so everybody is used to directly touching what they want to use. I remember being in a VW Touareg which had navigation but no touchscreen. And even tho my brain "knew" it wasn't a touch screen... my first instinct was always to push on the screen before I remembered it wasn't a touchscreen. Also entering a destination in the Navigation was a huge pain in the *** having to scroll thru each letter.
Old 01-24-13, 09:09 AM
InfamousQ
Rookie

Originally Posted by T4Fun
the infinitis for sure are less refined, and the fact that the last tranny is a little clumsey is a big gripe for sure.
the screens in the infinitis are imho better than the lexus. Why did lexus have to put the navig screen way up top and more difficult to see. The mouse is cumbersome to use imho compared to touch screen. who cares about fingerprints, get a lens cloth and wipe them off.
When I had the G35, i would use voice or the steering wheel controls. The steering wheel controls are definitely much more user friendly than the lexus mouse. There's also a "Back" button, that lexus missed out on

The auto tranny ruined the experience for me, worse was shifting from 3rd down to 2nd, you would lose power for nearly a full second, went to the dealership many times about it, & they say they can't replicate it.
Old 01-24-13, 09:14 AM
InfamousQ
Rookie

Originally Posted by natnut
Why would the Infiniti be much safer? Is there historical evidence that Infiniti cars are safer than Lexus cars. Or are you just basing off the frontal offset test?

The Nav looks big enough that the extra difference in distance won't be a factor. One thing Lexus did right is the recessed screen. That prevents sunlight glare reflecting off the nav screen. The Infiniti screen looks like it could be a sunlight magnet.

From my past experience test driving the M37S vs the new GS, I'd say that Lexus nails cabin ergonomics far better than Infiniti.

However, ultimately it will come down to a personal hands-on experience. Unlike some who are already pre-judgiing the cars before even putting butt in driver's seat, I will give all the candidates a test drive at least and approach with an open mind.
I have test driven the M56S, & I do agree the ergonomics are better on the GS, but the UI on the Infiniti is much easier to use, steering wheel control makes a world of a difference along with "Back" buttons.
Old 01-24-13, 08:47 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

I have test driven the M56S, & I do agree the ergonomics are better on the GS, but the UI on the Infiniti is much easier to use, steering wheel control makes a world of a difference along with "Back" buttons.
Yes it does. I remember that from my M35. Our G37 also has it but without navigation we don't use it that much.
Old 01-25-13, 01:29 PM
dmclone
Driver School Candidate

I own a 2008 G35x. The car has been great but the interior is a little dated for my taste. I'm not digging the Q50 styling and I'd like to see at least 375 horsepower.

I've been looking for an IS-F(used) but they are pretty hard to come by in the midwest. I may wait it out and drive the IS350 RWD and see if it fits my needs.

The problem is that there are so many good used options for around $45k. 335, CTS-V, S5, Jag XF S, etc. That Japanese quality just keeps me coming back to the Lexus or Infiniti

Last edited by dmclone; 01-25-13 at 01:37 PM.
Old 01-28-13, 10:06 PM
Noeh
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Looks like the Q50 is getting a turbo base engine. c'mon Lexus!

autoblog
Old 01-28-13, 11:08 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by aw04lfan
Looks like the Q50 is getting a turbo base engine. c'mon Lexus!

autoblog
2 years after Q50 released. Lexus is releasing new engine for IS around that time too.
Old 01-29-13, 04:23 PM
dj76
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by venom21
Can I vote the Q50 exterior with the IS interior?
This would be my vote too.
Old 01-29-13, 07:59 PM
LexFather

A big pro for the Q50 is it has a huge 18 cubic foot trunk...it is a much larger car. Seems leathrette is standard ala ES (will IS be the same way?) and shamefully the new "flagship" Acura RLX and I don't think cooled seats are still available. I think that is a pretty sad omission for a car in this class if its true. Acura's only added them recently and they are usually on the most expensive package.

Heck loaner IS 250s have cooled seats. They are a big deal, especially in the warmer climates.

Quick Reply: POLL. new IS or infiniti Q50 aka g?