IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models
View Poll Results: 2014 lexus IS or 2014 Infiniti Q50 aka G37?
2014 lexus IS
71.81%
2014 Infiniti Q50
28.57%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 259. You may not vote on this poll

POLL. new IS or infiniti Q50 aka g?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-13, 10:34 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

I hope both these cars are very very close in performance...i will then just pick the cheaper one
Old 03-07-13, 07:40 PM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

more pics
http://blog.caranddriver.com/infinit...eva-auto-show/
Old 03-16-13, 07:21 AM
teeder27
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At this point, I'd pick the Infiniti Q50. It looks like a better overall total package. Also, Infiniti seems to be more straight forward with its options as well- you can get any options anywhere in the US, not like Lexus, where you have to be in a certain "zone" to get certain option packages...

The IS is growing on me, but i'm not sold yet. I'd love to see the IS in a coupe- then I might change my tune.
Old 03-16-13, 01:21 PM
yycdave
Driver

As someone who owns neither previous gen car and is in the market this summer for a new car in this price bracket...it's definitely got to be the new IS.

The Q50 looks pretty...plain? Bulbous? Hyundai-esque? It's certainly not ugly, but it doesn't catch my eye. It seems like it would blend in on the street. I'm also not crazy about the proliferation of touchscreens everywhere for everything -- it's gimmicky. I like the utilitarian approach of physical buttons with straight-up LCDs. And I'm certainly no technophobe (I'm a software engineer), I just know all about the limitations of computers.

I'm going to test drive them both, but I have a feeling I'll be sticking with the IS.
Old 03-16-13, 07:48 PM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts

Lexus has a proven track record with quality, fit-and-finish and ease of use. And with the latest GS, Lexus has shown that it can out-German the Germans handling-wise.

My experience with the Infiniti M37S was lack-luster. On paper, it should have outshined the new GS but the test-drive was completely different : unpredictable handling and choppy ride, too busy and fussy interior and it generally felt like a far less polished product than the GS.

My suspicion is that the new IS vs new Q50 (G) will be similar : Q50 will overpromise and underdeliver while the IS will just quietly get the job done and prove to be the superior product. There will be existing IS owners who get the "grass is greener on the other side syndrome" and jump to Infiniti and hope in their minds that the Q50 is superior but that won't reflect reality.
Old 03-17-13, 11:52 AM
LexFather

I think it looks good. It won't be as well built as a Lexus and no one should expect that. What is the big ????? is; is the new IS sportier than the Q50 ex G37. The last generation actually won most comparos against it (contrarily to internetz belief).

Both cars are going to sell. The IS has a greater chance of failure due to that risky front end. The Q50 is far safer inside and out and we all know they lease as cheap as it gets.

Can't wait to see both modified. I have to say I prefer the Q50 looks from the outside, the Lexus F-sport grill helps on the Infiniti (did they drop the horizontal slants from Lexus)?
Old 03-19-13, 10:32 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Personally, for me:
Infiniti Q50 gets my vote

Just personal preference=)
Old 03-19-13, 10:36 AM
x83slider
Driver School Candidate

I personaly like the IS but drive them both buy what you like and give it to me that way you don't have to second guess yourself
Old 03-20-13, 12:17 AM
2ndGF
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

the user interface on the Infiniti looks really cool! I wish my F had a more high tech/ sleek design. I dont think the new Infiniti looks all that great, but the new IS is just damn ugly in the rear
Old 03-22-13, 07:51 AM
Civic Si-r
Lead Lap

Infiniti really nailed it. Great flowing lines and interior and I love the Eagle headlight s and rear tail lights. The video says it all

Old 04-04-13, 12:28 AM
oztiks
Lexus Test Driver

I'm not 100% sold on the Q50 yet, but I am definitely not seeing a new 3IS in the cards. Having seen the car today in person was a huge disappointment.

I've had about 5 Lexus and 3 Infiniti and would be happy to join the infiniti side again. As I commented in another thread, the new IS has, in my opinion, dropped in interior fit and finish. This will make it somewhat akin to infiniti. I am admittedly not a fan of high revving engines (eg the 3.7L infiniti uses) but I believe the performance on the infiniti should be a bit more aggressive than the IS. I hope infiniti has retuned the 7 speed gearbox, though, because it was honestly the most annoying gearbox i've ever dealt with. It never knew what gear it wanted to be in (well, except 1st or 7th) and took forever to downshift under normal operation - for passing, etc. I test drove the new M when it came out and was disappointed with the transmission throttle map / shift patterns, but figured it was likely an anomaly to the M. I later bought an FX50S (same transmission) and it exhibited the same exact issues - awful throttle map/gear ratios/etc. The G37 loaners I have had seemed to be better programmed throttle wise, so I hope infiniti didnt mess that up in the Q50.

I would really like to see a performance variant of the Q50, as I will be coming out of an IS F. The stock 3.7L on the q50 wont be enough so I am hoping they offer a TT variant. If not, it's an easy motor to build on as long as the new platform has room - which I am sure it does.
Old 04-11-13, 12:37 PM
mayuj
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by oztiks
I would really like to see a performance variant of the Q50, as I will be coming out of an IS F.
I have heard of people like you but never thought I would ever get to talk to one in person!! What makes you want to "(come) out of an IS F"???

Heresy!!!

Seriously, I can not find an IS F right now and there are so few used ones in the market. Yours is, except for the year, exactly what I want! Why leave the IS F for a Q or regular IS?
Old 04-11-13, 01:23 PM
oztiks
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mayuj
I have heard of people like you but never thought I would ever get to talk to one in person!! What makes you want to "(come) out of an IS F"???

Heresy!!!

Seriously, I can not find an IS F right now and there are so few used ones in the market. Yours is, except for the year, exactly what I want! Why leave the IS F for a Q or regular IS?
ive had this is-f for 2 years, which is a little more than my 1.5 year average.
i had a 2008 in 2008, had it for about 2 years. traded it for an infiniti 2009(?) fx50s, kept that for a month, traded that for a 2010 jaguar xf supercharged, lemoned that, and then bought a 2010 isf.

it's a great car, i just get 'bored'. although, as bored as i may be i am hanging onto this car for the very reason you mention - there is nothing out there jaw-dropping enough for me (and affordable) to leap into. in all honesty i want a bump in performance, and due to the lack of tuning / aftermarket options i would lean towards the new q50 (only in a tt v6 or v8 version though).
the is f is an amazing, underappreciated car by most. glad you are on the hunt for one, you'll love it.

ps - what do hou want in 2011+ thats not in 2010? just curious. only changes are seat fabric, center cluster, and headlamps. my 2010 has been relatively sheltered with a mere 25600 mi on the odo.
Old 04-29-13, 09:03 PM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

alright folks.
this pics nails it!

q50 all the way.
Attached Thumbnails POLL. new IS or infiniti Q50 aka g?-q50.jpg  
Old 04-29-13, 10:13 PM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by T4Fun
alright folks.
this pics nails it!

q50 all the way.
This is a retouched photo.

Let's see both cars side by side in real life before jumping to conclusions.

Quick Reply: POLL. new IS or infiniti Q50 aka g?