IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

New 2014 Lexus IS Color: Titanium Metallic / Sonic Titanium

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-13, 03:25 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
It's simple. I am not saying it's bad to have two whites. I am saying it's bad to have two PEARL whites. With all the disdain over no USB, every precious color matters. Having two pearl whites takes the space of having things like USB.

Further, if Ultra White is very light, having a pearl in it is barely going to be noticable unless you are right up to it (most of us already thought it was a non-pearl just from what we've seen). For that reason, 90% of people seeing it go down the road are probably not even going to notice it's a pearl. Waste. Again, with so much fuss over the loss of USB, doubling up on two pearl whites is a poor decision. We needed more selection and diversity.
i dont get it... they are two different shades of white... so you dont want one that doesnt look like regular Lexus pearl white (ivory), but I might?

Customers decide at the end which is popular by buying these cars... I would bet almost nobody bought USB hence you guys dont get it.

But 25% buy whites, so hence 2 different whites.

To me flat whites without pearl in them look like cheap colors.
Old 04-25-13, 05:00 PM
wednesday
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

It's simple. I am not saying it's bad to have two whites. I am saying it's bad to have two PEARL whites. With all the disdain over no USB, every precious color matters. Having two pearl whites takes the space of having things like USB.

Further, if Ultra White is very light, having a pearl in it is barely going to be noticable unless you are right up to it (most of us already thought it was a non-pearl just from what we've seen). For that reason, 90% of people seeing it go down the road are probably not even going to notice it's a pearl. Waste. Again, with so much fuss over the loss of USB, doubling up on two pearl whites is a poor decision. We needed more selection and diversity.
I agree 100%, I can't understand having two whites and three shades of silver, and axing such a standout color. As for the argument that nobody was buying USB, it was limited to one trim level (like the new white will be) and was hard to find at the dealer, I got one but had to wait for it. If they would have been made more readily available I guarantee they would have sold more, I have never gotten more compliments on a car than I have with my USB. I would also think with the reaction to the white launch car they would reconsider offering the ultra white at all. As it stands right now I will be holding out for the next model year to see if they reconsider not offering USB here, it just plain sucks that the rest of the world gets it and we don't, makes me pretty pissed off with Lexus.
Old 04-26-13, 03:46 AM
magne
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First. The Ultra white is exclusive to F-sport.
The other white is not avalible on f-sport. Hence the ultra white is an exclusive color to f-sport, and since they sell most white cars currently, the exclusive f-sport color was decided to be white.
It is a simple market strategy.
Why pearl? Well a pearl piant is more solid in regards to scratching and stone chipping. Also it is easier to maintain in regards to keeping clean and polishing.
Furthermore, the clear coat and pearls make the white look even more white and shiny.
So there is a point behind all the madness of pearl color

In regards to two silvers. A lot of people like the new sonic silver color, so a good move to intruduse this color, I'll even bet it becomes the most selling color among enthusiats.
The plain silver color is for those who doesn't like the sonic silver.

But I'll agree with you that lexus could have offered more colors. The LFA was avalible in 30 colors. Why not offer at least 20 of these in the new IS?
I also find it strange that they won't offer their largest market the USB color. Espesially when evryone else gets it.
Old 04-26-13, 04:53 AM
UpSideDown
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by magne
First. The Ultra white is exclusive to F-sport.
The other white is not avalible on f-sport. Hence the ultra white is an exclusive color to f-sport, and since they sell most white cars currently, the exclusive f-sport color was decided to be white.
It is a simple market strategy.
I've seen the 2013 f-sport in ultra white in person. I can hardly see any difference compares to my pearl white f-sport. In fact I thought it was same paint until I saw the specs...
Old 04-26-13, 03:05 PM
magne
Lead Lap

I've also seen the new white F-sport in person.
Compared it to a standard white pearl CT parked next to it, it was clear to me that the normal white pearl is a bit more yellow. In normal light it was easy to see.
In bright sunlight I believe it will be hard to tell the difference.

But I still believe that this is just a market strategy from lexus.
Exclusive color version of their best selling color on the F-sport model.
Old 04-26-13, 03:16 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

But I'll agree with you that lexus could have offered more colors. The LFA was avalible in 30 colors. Why not offer at least 20 of these in the new IS?
I also find it strange that they won't offer their largest market the USB color. Espesially when evryone else gets it.
the reason comes from how factory gives them prices - it is cheaper for factory to build less variations, hence Lexus US keeps variations smaller and get better pricing from the factory.

here in europe, they are so expensive, they dont care about small savings and offer many variations. European dealers also order directly from factory while US dealers usually order only cars allocated to their region. Hence having less options means that customer will be more likely to find car they want in allocation.

they probably looked at what colors they sold for past model and then decided which ones they want to offer.

Even MB/Audi/BMW offer less options in US than in Europe.
Old 04-26-13, 03:21 PM
mattsgigo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

because that would be poor market strategy. although it would be nice for the consumer, it wouldn't be financially practical for Lexus to produce the IS in 20 different colors.
Old 04-27-13, 03:20 AM
magne
Lead Lap

Since I also live in europe, I'm used to the way things are here.
Many of the european makers lets you build your own custumised version of your car, with just the equipment you want.
Most of them offers around 20 colors on a car.

But since the US has a completly different markething strategy when it comes to ordering car, I can see why lexus does some of the things they do. I.E not offering USB.
It would probably be to expensive to "stock" cars that almost doesn't sell.

In Europe, they do stock cars to some degree. But here they have a couple of cars stocked for fast delevery in the most common colors and with the most common equipment.
These are often sold with a discount, and can be delivered within a few days.
Normaly you order a car that you custumise, and get it after 3-4 months.

When it comes to giving lot of color choises, I don't see why this would much more expensive.
The car is produced in a factory with robots painting the car (at least most cars are made like this)
If you add a few more colors the robots can spray on, the only extra cost would be some more paint containers for the robots.
Most european makers offers around 20 colors for a car, so does toyota for their cars here in Europe. I don't see why lexus can't do the same. I can't imagine that it would make any big difference to the cost of the car. A metallic paint already costs about 1000$ extra anyway.
Old 04-27-13, 07:51 AM
wednesday
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

All this business about USB not selling, as someone who bought one, I kind of blame that on the dealers not ordering them. My dealership had to hunt for one and I think if they would have had them on the lot they would have sold because I tell you, everywhere I go I get asked about this car and get admiring comments.
If Lexus is trying to rebrand themselves as a sportier brand and attract a younger clientele they should absolutely keep this color, instead of offering two (very similar) shades of white and 3 shades of silver which to be honest just blend in with the millions of other cars on the road similarly colored.
I was at a stoplight the other day and there were about five other cars at the light and every single one of them was white, I can see why they have a shade of white but why not offer the standout color (can't be too much of a financial issue because it is still being produced for the rest of the planet) for those of us who want something that stands out and that would draw attention to the sportier side of Lexus. A few weeks ago we had a man come up and ask us what kind of car it was and said "I didn't realize Lexus built sport cars." Wonder if he would have even noticed had it been white or silver.
Old 04-28-13, 02:31 AM
mattsgigo
Driver School Candidate

im sure the reasoning behind offering or not offering certain colors to different markets boils down to how profitable it would be for lexus vs. whether or not lexus is financially able to make all colors available to all markets. i personally love the usb color, but apprently lexus corp. has gathered data that would suggest that offering certain colors (like usb) for select markets (the US) would only yield less than ideal profits, hence no usb for the US heck if there was money to be made by offering 20 colors (one of which im sure would be usb) then i'm sure toyota corp. would have jumped on that quick stat. after all, they are a business and one of the worlds largest at that.

Last edited by mattsgigo; 04-28-13 at 02:36 AM.
Old 04-28-13, 03:26 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Most european makers offers around 20 colors for a car, so does toyota for their cars here in Europe. I don't see why lexus can't do the same. I can't imagine that it would make any big difference to the cost of the car. A metallic paint already costs about 1000$ extra anyway.
maybe it feels like that, but they dont offer 20 colors... 328i comes with 13, no different shades than 3IS at all.
Old 04-28-13, 04:07 AM
Mr Bond
Pole Position

Originally Posted by spwolf
maybe it feels like that, but they dont offer 20 colors... 328i comes with 13, no different shades than 3IS at all.
Audi has its exclusive range and so does BMW. My friend bought an Audi A6 and there was in total 55 colors to choose between, and at least 15 different interior combinations. But yes, it costs 2000 euro only for the paint. But then, this is was a real premium brand is supposed to offer in my opinion, Lexus has a lot to learn from its competition here.
Old 04-28-13, 04:39 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Mr Bond
Audi has its exclusive range and so does BMW. My friend bought an Audi A6 and there was in total 55 colors to choose between, and at least 15 different interior combinations. But yes, it costs 2000 euro only for the paint. But then, this is was a real premium brand is supposed to offer in my opinion, Lexus has a lot to learn from its competition here.
in Europe? Because its not in the USA.... i counted 13 total on bmw 3 series configurator.

Every brand has its priorities though... you have to customize A6 in order to feel premium though, most are purchased with interior far below Lexus standards, as you know if you are from Europe.
Old 04-28-13, 05:05 AM
Mr Bond
Pole Position

Originally Posted by spwolf
in Europe? Because its not in the USA.... i counted 13 total on bmw 3 series configurator.

Every brand has its priorities though... you have to customize A6 in order to feel premium though, most are purchased with interior far below Lexus standards, as you know if you are from Europe.
Yes, in Europe. Audi has exklusive , BMW Individuall ,and MB:s is called Designo ( i think ). They are pretty much the same. This is an example of what im talking about.

http://www.audi.co.uk/audi-innovation/exclusive.html
Old 04-29-13, 10:07 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

From the Motegi Racing Super Drift Challenge - Long Beach:

Quick Reply: New 2014 Lexus IS Color: Titanium Metallic / Sonic Titanium