IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

This is torture...

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-13, 10:58 PM
Hyrepower
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default This is torture...

I am buying a new IS350 f sport when it is released, the wait is killing me. Now somebody hurry up and come out with a quality set of coilovers as that is going to be my first mod, asidie from ceramic tint and my Valentine 1
Old 03-07-13, 11:24 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

June will be here before you know it
Old 03-08-13, 07:28 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

wont you lose the driving mode adjustment if you change out the suspension?
Old 03-08-13, 10:11 AM
Individual
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

^ That was one of my first concerns when thinking about modding this car with coilovers. I was thinking it'll throw some error codes and it won't be adjustable?
Old 03-08-13, 11:25 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

^^ ask the boys over in the 4GS section. To be honest if you want to go lower you have no choice. Lowering on coils and just using Sport will be the same as if you turned it to Sport + which stiffens the strut (which your coils already are stiffer).

Not many have thought this ahead but the 3IS will be a bit of a pain to mod especially lowered.

This is why:

Separate LED

Anybody who's dropped their car in the past knows all too well about bumper tabs and the bumper alignment issues when lowering unless they do a bumper tab relocation. Let the good times roll hah
Old 03-08-13, 04:55 PM
Hyrepower
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
June will be here before you know it
easier said than done.
Old 03-08-13, 04:59 PM
Hyrepower
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
wont you lose the driving mode adjustment if you change out the suspension?
I did not realize the IS had the driving mode, I guess you would on some applications. However I know KW, Bilstein and Ohlins make applications that are plug n play on some applications that have electronically controlled suspension.

I also know KW makes an application for the audis where you put on an adjustable collar on the front shocks and rear has similar setup you can adjust like a coilover system.
Old 03-08-13, 06:28 PM
EthanV
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very easy. You just have to find different hobby at this moment . Stop getting to clublexus.com . The more you think the more it torture you.
Old 03-08-13, 08:53 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by EthanV
Very easy. You just have to find different hobby at this moment . Stop getting to clublexus.com . The more you think the more it torture you.
LOL, agreed!

Go to the forums discussing the Q50. You won't find anything there that keeps you excited.
Old 03-08-13, 09:15 PM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts

Don't forget that the adjustable dampers on the GS/IS aren't just fixed mode settings but are "intelligent" ie there is a central CPU brain that continuously detects changes in road conditions/vehicle yaw rates and is constantly adjusting the shocks in response.

Just to give an example, if a GS350 F-Sport takes a sharp right hand corner, the dampers on the left of the car will stiffen up more than the dampers on the right in an effort to combat the tendency of the car to roll to the left.This simulates an adjustable sway bar effect, resulting in less body roll and flatter cornering.

You will lose all those benefits going the coilover route. Lowering springs and calling it a day is probably a better idea as the intelligent adaptive function of the suspension is preserved.

Last edited by natnut; 03-08-13 at 10:15 PM.
Old 03-08-13, 11:57 PM
Hyrepower
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dseag2
LOL, agreed!

Go to the forums discussing the Q50. You won't find anything there that keeps you excited.
LOL, good point.
Old 03-08-13, 11:59 PM
Hyrepower
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by natnut
Don't forget that the adjustable dampers on the GS/IS aren't just fixed mode settings but are "intelligent" ie there is a central CPU brain that continuously detects changes in road conditions/vehicle yaw rates and is constantly adjusting the shocks in response.

Just to give an example, if a GS350 F-Sport takes a sharp right hand corner, the dampers on the left of the car will stiffen up more than the dampers on the right in an effort to combat the tendency of the car to roll to the left.This simulates an adjustable sway bar effect, resulting in less body roll and flatter cornering.

You will lose all those benefits going the coilover route. Lowering springs and calling it a day is probably a better idea as the intelligent adaptive function of the suspension is preserved.
Assuming the lowering springs don't put more pressure on the shocks causing them to wear prematurely. It would be real cool if KW made an adjustable system that utilized the stock shocks like they do for the Audis.