IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

2014 IS Moving Backwards

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-13, 01:38 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just called my dealer where I purchased my 2IS from, they have the 3IS on the showroom. Going to go check them out now.
Old 06-15-13, 02:20 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by UpSideDown
The major difference between these interior is that, to me the 2IS interior (especially the f-sports blueish polish trim, the use of chromed material, and black rubbish textured ventilation ports etc) feels in a way more highend and classy. While the 3IS interior feels overall more modern, but with with less quality material than 2IS. Maybe its not, but it feels like it. This is only my opinion, you might feel differently.
My dealer is going to call me when they get one I can see in person, looking forward to it.

about the iPhone 4 and 5 - the 4 uses more glass and has a frame in magnesium. While the 5 has less glass and uses aluminum on the body frame. 5 is less fragile than 4, but it looks like **** after a month's heavy usage.
Thats a good point, the 4 is glass on the back too. Didn't know about the magnesium vs aluminum. Mines is a slim case so it doesn't make a whole lot of difference to me!

Originally Posted by Ramon
So what you're saying is, we shouldn't discuss any aspects of the car until all of us have sat in it... I think I'll just ignore that advise and do what I've been doing. Heck, you told me I couldn't comment on it's speed because I haven't driven it, and surprise surprise, it's further behind the 335 than it's ever been before.
Thats not what I'm saying at all, I'm suggesting that perhaps you should have an open mind and reserve judgement until you've sat in the car yourself...I'm saying that as Lexus enthusiasts on the biggest Lexus community on the net...maybe we should give our brand a little more benefit of the doubt.

Remember that the IS just beat the 3 series in the latest C&D comparison test, despite it being a full second slower 0-60. Theres more to a car than straight-line power. To me, you just seem so entirely closed minded about the car theres no way you're going to have anything positive to say about it. On a forum where people are trying to be positive, get excited about the car, and will soon start posting about their new cars its just rude.

"lets drop it" is seriously the best idea. I'm not going to agree with you, and I'm not going to adjust my posting style to make you happy. I want to buy an IS, I just won't in it's current state, so I'm going to continue to voice my displeasure when it's not uncalled for and hope my as well as others voice carries and improvements are made in upcoming model years. If the side-effect is that you get annoyed, such is life.
It doesn't annoy me...like I said I dont have an IS and have no plans to buy one. I do however care about the brand and I care about the community here and elsewhere. I understand your frustration, I was the same way in the 2013 ES forums but there comes a point when the car is what it is, and who are you and who am I to continue harping on the same issues ruining the threads of others who just want to post about and enjoy their new cars? Voice your displeasure with your checkbook and move on...thats what I did with the ES. Move up to a GS, or move on to another brand.

Last edited by SW17LS; 06-15-13 at 02:23 PM.
Old 06-15-13, 02:28 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

I'm a Lexus consumer in general, and IS in particular and want to see it improve. You may think the best way to do that is to keep quiet. I think the best way is to speak up. You make it seem like I go in every thread screaming "3IS sucks!!!" Which is hardly the case. I feel my critisizims are constructive. We haven't agreed on proper etiquette since our first back and forth and we don't now and we likely never will. So you do what you do and not complain about what you don't like, and ill continue to do what I do. Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm off to the dealer to see first hand what aspects of the vehicles are a must change and which aspects I can get used to. This visit will have the added be benefit of making everything I say valid by your own metric, since ill have sat in it.
Old 06-15-13, 02:35 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I'm a Lexus consumer in general, and IS in particular and want to see it improve. You may think the best way to do that is to keep quiet. I think the best way is to speak up.
I think the people in the 2013 ES forums would disagree with your assessment of me as someone who "keeps quiet" about what he doesn't like. At some point it gets tiresome is my point.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm off to the dealer to see first hand what aspects of the vehicles are a must change and which aspects I can get used to.
I'm glad you're going to see the vehicle, but thats hardly an open mind. You've already decided to dislike the car.
Old 06-15-13, 04:15 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

I never said straight line speed is the only factor. I've brought up several factors. You either have a reading comprehension problem or a selective memory problem.

Just saw the car. Buttons on steering wheel are worse than i thought. They don't look good in pictures or in person, more over their tactile feel is worse. A complete deal breaker no, but a step back. Center console is not as bad as I thought but not good either the gear selector significantly lower rent than in the 2is. The integration of the door speakers is something you'd see in a car costing half as much.

The good? The car looks great on the outside, better than it does in photos. The separate DRLs I'm still not find of but look better in the flesh than they do in photos. And the car is certainly roomier than the outgoing model which is something we all already know. They just got the car in yesterday, had one fsport and one non, the fsport was already sold.

Steve, I've now seen the car and it essentially was what I thought it would be. Reading your posts, your idea of an open mind is having already made up my mind that I liked it.
Old 06-15-13, 04:38 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 458 Likes on 303 Posts

Originally Posted by Dustin2011
The buttons on the steering wheel look cheap and unrefined. Such a disappointment....
Originally Posted by dojoman
Steering wheel feels nice but as others have said buttons feel a little cheap.

One thing I did not like at all was the Nav screen and LFA style gauge seem to have lower resolutions. You can easily see pixels on the gauge and Nav screen looks like lower res than older one. Not sure but could be my eyes....
Originally Posted by RXSF
I think Lexus nailed the rear except they could have done something more creative with the chrome exhausts. Even the shape of the circles bothers me, they arent oval enough. It would have been perfection with something like the GS or LS design
Two people who have already seen the new 3IS in real life have already commented about the round buttons on the steering wheel.
RSXF has commented on the 1990's-2000's style traditional oval exhaust tips, and how he prefers the sexier polygonal shaped exhaust tips of the LS and GS, but then the latter two are more upmarket.

However, overall, the general consensus is that the new 3IS is a great car, or at least a pretty good one.
I'm sure it will match, if not exceed the 50,000-60,000 units sold in its 2IS predecessor's debut year.

Just side lining, but judging by the statistics provided by the American people, presently Lexus needs to bring in the 4.5GS and 6.5ES quickly to lift up sales badly!
Predecessor 5ES use to pump out 82,867 units in 2007; presently 6ES a bit weak at 27,813 for first 5 months of 2013.
In 2 weeks time, we can double the 6ES sales figures to get a rough idea of sales for 2013.
Dealers and reps won't be happy with these results.
All Lexus fans would like the GS and ES to have the same relative sales success of this 3IS.

Steve, I urge you to come back down to earth, and voice your constructive improvements into the design of the forthcoming facelifted 4.5GS now.
If you don't act now, the future facelifted 4.5GS and 6.5ES will be gone on the sales charts.
We can't just act like we're living in the clouds.
And that is the importance of constructive criticism, debate, and two sides to the story.
Lexus needs your feedback on the 4GS urgently - to create the facelifted 4.5GS due out very shortly!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by peteharvey; 06-15-13 at 05:45 PM.
Old 06-15-13, 05:33 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

No, it's not a "bad car" it just could have been better with little to no extra effort. The buttons on the wheel for example. Lexus already had an existing wheel with a better looking and feeling button layout, same with the integration of the door speakers.

For example:

3IS on the top left
2IS on the top right
Hyundai Elentra on the bottom

There's no reason why a 50k IS can't look as clean as a 20k elentra.
Old 06-15-13, 07:03 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

Thanks for the pics Ramon. The proof is in the pudding. Agree, the steering wheel buttons are a slight step down but more noticeably and disappointingly (which I didn't notice until now) the lower door panels which are a big step down from the 2IS. I'm now questioning the carpeting too from the pics which look to be of lower density than the 2IS... In relation to the next Gens Lexus models and apparent cost-cutting, I noticed my Gen 3 RX's carpeting is a slight step down as well from my past Gen 2RX... The CT's carpeting is very thin and Toyota Corolla-ish.

The center console at least to me though looks as equally high quality as the 2IS.

Any other pics?
Old 06-15-13, 07:33 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

I took a few, lighting was bad while sitting inside so there's lot of noise in the pics.

LS F-Sport:

LFA:

Old 06-15-13, 08:37 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I'm not quite sure what their thought process is with the speaker design in the door panels either, both the new GS and ES have the same round speaker grilles, I prefer the fabric speaker covers that blend into the door panels also.
Old 06-16-13, 12:53 AM
UpSideDown
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No, it's not a "bad car" it just could have been better with little to no extra effort. The buttons on the wheel for example. Lexus already had an existing wheel with a better looking and feeling button layout, same with the integration of the door speakers.

For example:

3IS on the top left
2IS on the top right

Great pictures. You can clearly see that 2IS door panel is more elegant and the L-finesse that 3IS lacks of.
Old 06-16-13, 05:03 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts
Question Specific 3IS to 2IS Comparative Observations

Ramon. Console of the IS looks good quality-wise. Love the LS F-Sport. So menacing in black! LFA of course goes without saying...

As a recap, list of items the 3IS got visibly cheaper with, without dispute:

1. Steering wheel buttons
2. Lower front door panels

Open to everyone who sat in the 3IS who as a bonus has had experience with the 2IS, what about the following so we can compile a thorough list of shortcomings (or enhancements)?

- Glove box door plastic and its operation (now hard or soft-touch like 2IS)?
- Interior carpeting? (density and "weight").
- Trunk and under-hood finishing?
- Engine bay and under-hood finishing?
- Door slam feel (Macmaster points out a solid feel, but coming from a Prius to put this into perspective. I recall the 2IS when I owned it had a very impressive vault-like feel to the door closing)
- Headliner and pillars material.
- Control stalks, switches, and button feel.
- 3IS lacks fuel door release. How is its "push" operation?
- Key fob redesigned? Benefits? Regressions?
- Front windshield tempered or laminate (2IS)?
- Side glass tempered (2IS) or laminate?
- Non-F-Sport Leather seating look and feel
- OTHER?
Old 06-16-13, 12:47 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

For example:

3IS on the top left
2IS on the top right

you are picking one small part of the car and blowing it up as a big issue.

There are far more issues with 2IS interior than 3IS. From squeakes everywhere, to low quality leather used on steering wheel and shift **** that starts to wear in 2 years, to old school multimedia from 80's, to Toyota switchgear, to high quality leather that also wears easily, ML sub that breaks on almost every car out there, very thin padding and bad leather used on doors and armrest. Squeaky seats? Oops. 2D nav stuck in 90's.

Should I go on? 3IS interior is step up or two in almost every case but lower bottom of the doors. If lower buttom of the doors being cheaper looking is what enabled them to put 7" screen into every 3IS, I am all for it.

Or laughable trip info screen in 2 colors with functionality from Corolla in 90's. Of course, regular design issues like poor back space that makes it 2+2. Or non existent steering feel. Or too hard suspension without being really good drive.

I like my 2IS, but I am not putting it on pedestal just because I own it... I am very aware of its shortcomings... 3IS sounds like big improvement, except again, for lower bottom of the doors... big so what on that.
Old 06-16-13, 01:04 PM
UpSideDown
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by spwolf
There are far more issues with 2IS interior than 3IS. Bla bla bla... BS... BS...
Not that I'm saying 3IS interior wont hold up, but how do you know that? Have you tried a 3IS yet?
Old 06-16-13, 01:15 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

plus, bottom of the doors in 2IS are slightly padded... top of the doors are .. hard and due to all the lines, easy to look dirty and worn. Handle on the 2IS door? Silver painted Plastic that reminds you it is cheap every time you close them. My 2007 RAV4 had rubberized door handles so you would feel nice materials when you touch them and not glossy painted plastic.

3IS at looks at least to have partially-leather covered door handle and no Toyota switches anymore.

Are we going to talk about having to pay extra for xenon's? DRL's that had to replaced after 1 year? Having to pay for very expensive nav just to get premium look to the interior you paid a lot for? People are getting expensive chinese navs just to get the screen into their 2IS's.

Quick Reply: 2014 IS Moving Backwards