IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

2014 IS Moving Backwards

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-13, 01:19 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by UpSideDown
Not that I'm saying 3IS interior wont hold up, but how do you know that? Have you tried a 3IS yet?
so far all of the Lexus products designed in past years (after Toyoda took helm) are holding up a lot better than previous ones. All of the things I wrote about can be seen in threads on these forums, and no bs at all... and my interior held up a lot better than most because I pamper the car. I still get dashboard squeak, transmission boot squeak, seat squeak, worn doors, worn seats, worn steering wheel, worn shifter... all things well known for people owning Lexus designed in mid 2000's.
Old 06-16-13, 01:39 PM
UpSideDown
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by spwolf
plus, bottom of the doors in 2IS are slightly padded... top of the doors are .. hard and due to all the lines, easy to look dirty and worn. Handle on the 2IS door? Silver painted Plastic that reminds you it is cheap every time you close them. My 2007 RAV4 had rubberized door handles so you would feel nice materials when you touch them and not glossy painted plastic.

3IS at looks at least to have partially-leather covered door handle and no Toyota switches anymore.

Are we going to talk about having to pay extra for xenon's? DRL's that had to replaced after 1 year? Having to pay for very expensive nav just to get premium look to the interior you paid a lot for? People are getting expensive chinese navs just to get the screen into their 2IS's.
Just want to correct you on few things.

1, The top of the 2IS door has now soft touch rubberised material. Not the hard textured plastic as before.

2, The door handler on 3IS still has what you described "silver painted **** handler" . Can't you see the silver trim there? now it is on the outside for your eyes only. 2IS has it on the inside, you don't pay much attention to it.

3, 2IS DRL is LED now in case if you don't know it. You seems have been living in a cave for some times.

4, You can get NAV or without NAV on 3IS just like 2IS. What are you talking about? Chinese have even a NAV that suits the 3IS in case you don't know.

You seems don't know much about whether the 2IS or the 3IS in details.

Last edited by UpSideDown; 06-16-13 at 01:45 PM.
Old 06-16-13, 03:56 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you are picking one small part of the car and blowing it up as a big issue.

There are far more issues with 2IS interior than 3IS. From squeakes everywhere, to low quality leather used on steering wheel and shift **** that starts to wear in 2 years, to old school multimedia from 80's, to Toyota switchgear, to high quality leather that also wears easily, ML sub that breaks on almost every car out there, very thin padding and bad leather used on doors and armrest. Squeaky seats? Oops. 2D nav stuck in 90's.

Should I go on? 3IS interior is step up or two in almost every case but lower bottom of the doors. If lower buttom of the doors being cheaper looking is what enabled them to put 7" screen into every 3IS, I am all for it.

Or laughable trip info screen in 2 colors with functionality from Corolla in 90's. Of course, regular design issues like poor back space that makes it 2+2. Or non existent steering feel. Or too hard suspension without being really good drive.

I like my 2IS, but I am not putting it on pedestal just because I own it... I am very aware of its shortcomings... 3IS sounds like big improvement, except again, for lower bottom of the doors... big so what on that.

I've got 145k miles on my 2IS and don't have any of the issues you describe. Sounds like you got a lemon. Like I said, when a 20k elantra looks nicer, there's a serious problem. Pictures don't lie. As far as ride quality, I have no doubt the 3IS is better. Don't let your emotions cloud your judgment or make you see things that aren't there. I'm not saying the 3IS is a bad car or that the 2IS is a better car, so you can relax. That said, my complaints are valid and I'm not the only one making them.

Last edited by Ramon; 06-16-13 at 04:20 PM.
Old 06-16-13, 06:07 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

My mother in law has an Elantra. Looks nicer? Hardly...

The more prominent round speaker is just a design choice, Mercedes have similar round speakers on their doors. As for lower door plastic quality, I'm sure its a downgrade as it was on the 6ES. Is that frustrating? Sure...

Last edited by SW17LS; 06-16-13 at 06:22 PM.
Old 06-17-13, 03:39 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Ramon
I've got 145k miles on my 2IS and don't have any of the issues you describe. Sounds like you got a lemon. Like I said, when a 20k elantra looks nicer, there's a serious problem. Pictures don't lie. As far as ride quality, I have no doubt the 3IS is better. Don't let your emotions cloud your judgment or make you see things that aren't there. I'm not saying the 3IS is a bad car or that the 2IS is a better car, so you can relax. That said, my complaints are valid and I'm not the only one making them.
there is no emotions, did you ever read 2IS forums? All of the issues have ton of threads, they are common issues for 2IS on almost every car.

Should I post hundred links to 2IS problems here? Lol.
Old 06-17-13, 03:47 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by UpSideDown
Just want to correct you on few things.

1, The top of the 2IS door has now soft touch rubberised material. Not the hard textured plastic as before.

2, The door handler on 3IS still has what you described "silver painted **** handler" . Can't you see the silver trim there? now it is on the outside for your eyes only. 2IS has it on the inside, you don't pay much attention to it.

3, 2IS DRL is LED now in case if you don't know it. You seems have been living in a cave for some times.

4, You can get NAV or without NAV on 3IS just like 2IS. What are you talking about? Chinese have even a NAV that suits the 3IS in case you don't know.

You seems don't know much about whether the 2IS or the 3IS in details.
1. I have 2009 IS, and you have to press it as hard as possible to have any give... to me, thats hard.

2. You obviously dont see well - handle is where red leather is on the outside. It bothers me when i touch it in 2IS because it is cheap material. In 3IS, you pull... leather (at least half covered).

3. Yes, DRL is LED in later 2IS... did you know that for first 2 years DRL's destroyed the headlights on 2IS? That everyone got warranty to get later design? Or are you living in the cave. You also had to pay extra for xenons and drl's.

4. In 2IS you had to get NAV to get screen... without nav, you got 50 buttons on centre console that looks like japanese stereo of 90's. Many people here buy expensive chinese knockoff to get the screen inside. 3IS has screen there in cheapest model... as well as bi-xenons.

Do you comprehend?

You guys dont seem to know much about 2IS at all.
Old 06-17-13, 05:10 AM
UpSideDown
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1. I have 2009 IS, and you have to press it as hard as possible to have any give... to me, thats hard.

2. You obviously dont see well - handle is where red leather is on the outside. It bothers me when i touch it in 2IS because it is cheap material. In 3IS, you pull... leather (at least half covered).

3. Yes, DRL is LED in later 2IS... did you know that for first 2 years DRL's destroyed the headlights on 2IS? That everyone got warranty to get later design? Or are you living in the cave. You also had to pay extra for xenons and drl's.

4. In 2IS you had to get NAV to get screen... without nav, you got 50 buttons on centre console that looks like japanese stereo of 90's. Many people here buy expensive chinese knockoff to get the screen inside. 3IS has screen there in cheapest model... as well as bi-xenons.

Do you comprehend?

You guys dont seem to know much about 2IS at all.
I also had a 2009 Sport before and now a 2012 F-sport. They have changed the material on the upper doorpanel to the soft rubber material. Now it is more comfortable to rest your elbow on it when you drive.

The silver trim on the doorhandler in 2IS is pretty high quality and durable and adds the look to the interior. Never had problem with it or the leather steering wheel, ***** etc as you had on your car.

The DRL on my 2009 worked fine. Never heard that they fails within a year. We get Xnon head light in the price of the car. Maybe is it an extra in some other market.

I had the NAV on my 2009, but now I choosed not to have it and I'm very happy with it.I almost never used it on my last car. I have navigation on every mobile phone I have and they are better than the build-in one. I like the Non NAV look. It looks clean, classy and very funtional. No more reflections from the screen, NAV random restart, freezing rear view camera etc.
Old 06-17-13, 08:56 AM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW13GS
My mother in law has an Elantra. Looks nicer? Hardly...

The more prominent round speaker is just a design choice, Mercedes have similar round speakers on their doors. As for lower door plastic quality, I'm sure its a downgrade as it was on the 6ES. Is that frustrating? Sure...
Good! So I don't have to show you pics of how the steering wheel buttons look nicer on the Elantra also because you already know.

there is no emotions, did you ever read 2IS forums? All of the issues have ton of threads, they are common issues for 2IS on almost every car.

Should I post hundred links to 2IS problems here? Lol.
I read the forum frequently, and the problems aren't as prominent as you're pretending they are. I'm sure you can provide links, if you do, I'll just compare that numer with the total number of threads in that forum to show its a smaller number than you're leading on, so if you want to play that game, its up to you.

Not to mention, you're comparing long term reliability, something you have 0 data for on the 3IS

Last edited by Ramon; 06-17-13 at 09:22 AM.
Old 06-17-13, 09:26 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Good! So I don't have to show you pics of how the steering wheel buttons look nicer on the Elantra also because you already know.
"Looks nicer" is a subjective assessment. The buttons on the Elantra are different, flush mounted vs the stand out style on the IS, as for "looking nicer" I don't know that I agree. The Elantra is a nice economy car, but its nowhere near as nice as ANY Lexus.

For instance, I have heard people complain about Hyundai's glossy steering wheel buttons looking cheap on here when I've sung the praises of other Hyundai products. Its all subjective.
Old 06-17-13, 09:50 AM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

"Looks nicer" is a subjective assessment. The buttons on the Elantra are different, flush mounted vs the stand out style on the IS, as for "looking nicer" I don't know that I agree. The Elantra is a nice economy car, but its nowhere near as nice as ANY Lexus.

For instance, I have heard people complain about Hyundai's glossy steering wheel buttons looking cheap on here when I've sung the praises of other Hyundai products. Its all subjective.
Not saying it's a nicer car overall, I'm being very specific with my comparisons. The fact that I'm even able to make a comparison to a car costing 2.5x more is pretty sad though.
Old 06-17-13, 09:55 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I think your comparison is pretty ridiculous. I can make comparisons about a Chevy Aveo and a Rolls Royce, but they're pretty ridiculous too.
Old 06-17-13, 10:14 AM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

I think your comparison is pretty ridiculous. I can make comparisons about a Chevy Aveo and a Rolls Royce, but they're pretty ridiculous too.
We already know how I feel about what you think

You can look up google images and compare for yourself, and know I'm right, even though you won't care to admit it.

And no, you can't.
Old 06-17-13, 03:46 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

If you don't care what I think, why do you keep challenging me on what I'm saying?

You don't like the car, we get it. We've gotten it a bunch of times.

IMHO, in an entry level car there is going to be cost cutting. Might there be a surface or a control that feels a little cheaper than the outgoing car? Sure. Is there a lot of content added here that hasn't seen a similar increase in cost? Yes. As long as its not an overall theme as it is in the 6ES, then to me its not an issue. If you are a buyer that demands perfection and quality from EVERY material, you are probably $40-$50,000 on top of the cost of an IS before you get to a car thats going to make you feel that way.

Like I said...you can always move up to a GS. I found all of my cost cutting concerns addressed by moving from the ES to the GS.

Last edited by SW17LS; 06-17-13 at 04:15 PM.
Old 06-17-13, 05:08 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

I'm not challenging you, I'm commenting on the car, you're commenting on my opinion of the car, (a behavior, I might add, that has been addressed by a couple members already) to which I'm replying to. I suggest you read the title of this particular thread. I can complain all I want in here and it isn't like I'm raining on anyones parade.

If someone created a new thread about how they just took delivery of their new F-Sport and I thread crapped it with off-topic complaints, maybe you'd have a point. In here, within the context of what this thread is covering, you don't. I'm not sure how many times this needs to be said for you to grasp the concept that I'm not going to stop complaining because you think I should. You've made this request several times, and it's been ignored each time. The sooner you stop commenting on my personal opinions, the sooner I'll stop replying back, and this thread can sink to the bottom. As it stands, there's really one reason why this thread is still alive, and you're the reason. Personally I think it's great. The larger this thread goes, the longer it stays on the front page, the greater the chance it generates hits on a Google search and increasing the chance (however small) that the short comings will be addressed.

As far as moving to the GS, I'm actually leaning in that direction but waiting for a power plant refresh before purchasing a new Lexus vehicle of any model. Hopefully with the new power plants comes a refresh that will address some of my gripes with the IS. Ultimately, I prefer the exterior styling of the IS over the GS.
Old 06-17-13, 05:14 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I'm not challenging you, I'm commenting on the car, you're commenting on my opinion of the car, (a behavior, I might add, that has been addressed by a couple members already) to which I'm replying to. I suggest you read the title of this particular thread. I can complain all I want in here and it isn't like I'm raining on anyones parade.
The only person still commenting on anybody personally here is you. You seem to have some desire to make me agree with you, and its just not going to happen. I'm perfectly happy to discuss the car, but you keep bringing it back to me.

Last time I checked I was not the only person posting in the thread. You are not the only other person either.

Quick Reply: 2014 IS Moving Backwards