IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Competition...

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-13, 11:42 PM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by oztiks
lexus QUALITY used to be superior until the 2013+ models.

Huh? what are you talking about? Aside from the ES, Lexus interiors have gone up in quality. The 2013 GS interior is easily leagues above the preceding GS interior, so much so that many reviews have praised it as best in class.Face lifted LS also has better interior than pre-facelift LS.

And you're talking about the an actual production-ready IS and Q50 which you haven't personally experienced yet.

So yeah, forgive me if you seem to be spinning a story line that doesn't have a basis in reality.

Last edited by natnut; 04-03-13 at 11:57 PM.
Old 04-04-13, 06:43 AM
Civic Si-r
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unless lexus quickly ups the ante and drops a GS-F in our laps or an 2014+ IS-F (heavily modified to NOT look like the new 3IS), my next car will be the Q50. The 3IS appearance is amazingly disappointing for me. I have had 5 Lexus and 3 Infiniti. Lexus service is superior (what they are willing to do), and lexus QUALITY used to be superior until the 2013+ models. Lexus has taken the cheap route on seemingly everything, which makes Infiniti's interior on par with the lexus offerings, in my opinion.

Take a look at this. As mentioned how would you like to be driving 400hp in this setup

http://skiddmark.com/wp-content/uplo...g8B9oMGnCJ.jpg
Old 04-04-13, 08:05 AM
LexFather

The vehicle that is superior to me is the Q50 hybrid, 30 MPG and 350hp..the IS has nothing to battle that though paying 50k for one is a tough pill, even if it seems worth it. Outside of that not sure how anyone can say Lexus quality is down, they are up and the new vehicle interiors are very well done with the ES having some short cuts but it is entry level, like the IS.

Originally Posted by Civic Si-r
Take a look at this. As mentioned how would you like to be driving 400hp in this setup

http://skiddmark.com/wp-content/uplo...g8B9oMGnCJ.jpg
Lexus had the IS F since 2008 and a LFA...GS F and RC F are coming and LF LC..... I hope they catch up
Old 04-04-13, 11:16 AM
oztiks
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by natnut
Huh? what are you talking about? Aside from the ES, Lexus interiors have gone up in quality. The 2013 GS interior is easily leagues above the preceding GS interior, so much so that many reviews have praised it as best in class.Face lifted LS also has better interior than pre-facelift LS.

And you're talking about the an actual production-ready IS and Q50 which you haven't personally experienced yet.

So yeah, forgive me if you seem to be spinning a story line that doesn't have a basis in reality.
so youre telling me my own personal opinions, having seen, touched, etc the cars above (sans q50) that my personal experience is not reality but merely fantasy? your commentary on quality is based on REVIEWS. i was unaware reviews actually spoke for the consumer. i am personally immensely underwhelmed by the 4GS interior, it is better than the 3GS but that is not hard to do. the 3GS was a step backwards from the 2GS interior quality. this, of course, is only my opinion which is delusion according to you. PS, the LS interior has and always will remain superb as it is their flagship car. the vehicle is stunning. the IS, ES, RX, GS are where the cost cutting quickly shows; as they try to 'replicate' the LS styling and quality on a much lower budget. you cannot tell me they are investing the same amount on the interiors of those cars as they are the LS. and what do you mean, 'aside from the ES' - one of lexus' BIGGEST SELLING CARS. it should represent the whole brand. it does.

i have a bone stock 02 gs sport, 02 ls 430, and a mildly modified 10 isf in my driveway - and they are all superb cars - for their time. you have a built gs which to me says you bought a car that was inadequate, and would have no idea what the car 'actually' (you know, reality) is like any longer. you are forgiven.

Last edited by oztiks; 04-04-13 at 11:19 AM.
Old 04-04-13, 05:41 PM
LexFather

The GS has been hailed as having the best interior in class by every review. I think its on par with just about anything at any price so I'm surprised you said that. Maybe its the shape, it does take some getting used too as its very German like.
Old 04-04-13, 08:42 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

so youre telling me my own personal opinions, having seen, touched, etc the cars above (sans q50) that my personal experience is not reality but merely fantasy? your commentary on quality is based on REVIEWS. i was unaware reviews actually spoke for the consumer. i am personally immensely underwhelmed by the 4GS interior, it is better than the 3GS but that is not hard to do. the 3GS was a step backwards from the 2GS interior quality. this, of course, is only my opinion which is delusion according to you. PS, the LS interior has and always will remain superb as it is their flagship car. the vehicle is stunning. the IS, ES, RX, GS are where the cost cutting quickly shows; as they try to 'replicate' the LS styling and quality on a much lower budget. you cannot tell me they are investing the same amount on the interiors of those cars as they are the LS. and what do you mean, 'aside from the ES' - one of lexus' BIGGEST SELLING CARS. it should represent the whole brand. it does.

i have a bone stock 02 gs sport, 02 ls 430, and a mildly modified 10 isf in my driveway - and they are all superb cars - for their time. you have a built gs which to me says you bought a car that was inadequate, and would have no idea what the car 'actually' (you know, reality) is like any longer. you are forgiven.
I own a GS F-Sport and came from an Audi S5 Cab (and supposedly Audi is best-in-class in interiors) and am OVERwhelmed everytime I get in the car. The interior is outstanding. But, to each his own.
Old 04-05-13, 12:21 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 162 Likes on 120 Posts

i am personally immensely underwhelmed by the 4GS interior
your opinions are of your own... are you suggesting that we should all dislike 4GS interior because you do? It has nothing to do with reviews, 4GS has superb interior, best in class IMHO.

If you are comparing everything to LS, then obviously yes, GS and IS have cheaper interior than LS, but GS is Awesome for $20k less, and IS so far looks good to me for another $12k less.

I am comparing it to car in its class and GS has great interior... to me, easily beating Audi, MB, BMW.

Of course, '10 IS-F easily has the worst interior of the bunch and I have loaded 2IS. So I am not sure how could you pick 2IS if you are so picky about GS not being up to par... since 2IS interior is much worse in every possible way I can imagine. It was still nicer than F30 and A4 quality wise, which is why I got it, but I am under no illusion that it is suddenly better than 3GS or 4GS, just because I bought it.
Old 04-05-13, 08:30 AM
natnut
Pole Position

My bone of contention is your sweeping statement that 2013 Lexus models have taken a step back in quality compared to previous models.

No one is disputing that an LS > GS > IS interior. That general trend is true as quality should follow pecking order.

The problem is when your statement effectively says that :
2012 LS > 2013 LS interior
2012 GS > 2013 GS interior
2013 IS > 2014 IS interior
2012 ES > 2013 ES

the first two statements are wrong from my own personal experience and per the general consensus of most reviewers. The third statement is premature as full production models of the IS are not out yet. You may be right on the last statement I'll grant you that.

You are more than free to dislike the new IS, but when you take your dislike and over-generalize it into a blanket indictment of all Lexus models is where I take issue.
Old 04-05-13, 01:12 PM
oztiks
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by spwolf

Of course, '10 IS-F easily has the worst interior of the bunch and I have loaded 2IS. So I am not sure how could you pick 2IS if you are so picky about GS not being up to par... since 2IS interior is much worse in every possible way I can imagine. It was still nicer than F30 and A4 quality wise, which is why I got it, but I am under no illusion that it is suddenly better than 3GS or 4GS, just because I bought it.
The 2IS doesnt pretend to be anything more than it actually is. The interior quality is solid and consistent throughout. You are mistaking quality with presentation. The 2IS interior is bland; not cheap. The 3IS offers the illusion with faux leather trimmed dashboard, more on the doors, etc, that it is more luxurious. I'm sorry your 2IS has such awful interior quality; i am not sure why you would purchase a car which you feel is subpar. This is my second ISF, and there's a '02 2GS and '02 LS UL sitting next to them.

How is the radar cruise/pre-crash in your 'loaded' IS since we are getting nitpicky on semantics and generalities - you must have literally EVERY optional available.
Old 04-05-13, 01:25 PM
oztiks
Lexus Test Driver

My bone of contention is your sweeping statement that 2013 Lexus models have taken a step back in quality compared to previous models.

No one is disputing that an LS > GS > IS interior. That general trend is true as quality should follow pecking order.

The problem is when your statement effectively says that :
2012 LS > 2013 LS interior
2012 GS > 2013 GS interior
2013 IS > 2014 IS interior
2012 ES > 2013 ES

the first two statements are wrong from my own personal experience and per the general consensus of most reviewers. The third statement is premature as full production models of the IS are not out yet. You may be right on the last statement I'll grant you that.

You are more than free to dislike the new IS, but when you take your dislike and over-generalize it into a blanket indictment of all Lexus models is where I take issue.
i would take the previous or current ls as they are both amazingly well designed and executed.
i was not a fan of the 3gs, the 4gs has more appealing exterior design but the interior is where they went wrong. p.s., all the auto mags suddenly like the car because of its new faux-german-inspired interior layout. i am not a fan. i miss the traditional asian/jdm styling, and to top it off, nothing about the materials screamed luxury to me.

yes, i feel the 2IS is still better than the 3IS. it 'is what it is' and doesn't pretend to be anything more.

i actually prefer the styling and interior of the prior ES as well. The new one feels exceptionally cheap as they had to mimic a "higher end" interior of the GS on a much lower budget.
Old 04-07-13, 07:29 PM
chris2k5
Pit Crew

Infiniti spanked Lexus with their Q50!

30MPG at least in their Q50 Hybrid AWD!
Old 04-07-13, 10:24 PM
natnut
Pole Position

GS450h gets better mileage than the M35h, which has the same hybrid drivetrain as the Q50 hybrid.

30mpg is nowhere close to the mileage of the IS300h hybrid.

The only spanking is Infiniti doing it to themselves for not bettering the hybrid system pioneered by Lexus.
Old 04-08-13, 02:16 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

The 2IS doesnt pretend to be anything more than it actually is. The interior quality is solid and consistent throughout. You are mistaking quality with presentation. The 2IS interior is bland; not cheap. The 3IS offers the illusion with faux leather trimmed dashboard, more on the doors, etc, that it is more luxurious. I'm sorry your 2IS has such awful interior quality; i am not sure why you would purchase a car which you feel is subpar. This is my second ISF, and there's a '02 2GS and '02 LS UL sitting next to them.

How is the radar cruise/pre-crash in your 'loaded' IS since we are getting nitpicky on semantics and generalities - you must have literally EVERY optional available.
My 2IS doesnt have any different quality of interior than yours... I dont feel it is subpar to competition, I feel it is superior to competition. I have ridden in other 2IS's and they seemed "worse" when it comes to squeakes than mine.

However I have no illusions that my 3GS had worse interior - 3GS has interior that is miles ahead in quality department and so does 4GS

It also had stepped down features of same name compared to 3GS (ipa I look at you).

And I dont have pre-crash, although I dont know how does that have to do with interior quality? Doesnt change a single thing in the interior. I also dont have the moonroof.

All in all, I am not putting 2IS interior onto the pedestal, it is good but nothing crazy, and had plenty of faults, a lot of them fixed in 3IS (legroom at the back for instance, or rear bench, although it didnt bug me personally). If they just "fix" the rattles, like they improved it in 4GS vs 3GS, they have done all I personally need.
Old 04-08-13, 02:18 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

GS450h gets better mileage than the M35h, which has the same hybrid drivetrain as the Q50 hybrid.

30mpg is nowhere close to the mileage of the IS300h hybrid.

The only spanking is Infiniti doing it to themselves for not bettering the hybrid system pioneered by Lexus.
indeed, GS450h is way superior than M35h when it comes to hybrid system, from consumption to feel and smoothness.
Old 04-10-13, 01:17 AM
oztiks
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by spwolf
My 2IS doesnt have any different quality of interior than yours... I dont feel it is subpar to competition, I feel it is superior to competition. I have ridden in other 2IS's and they seemed "worse" when it comes to squeakes than mine.

However I have no illusions that my 3GS had worse interior - 3GS has interior that is miles ahead in quality department and so does 4GS

It also had stepped down features of same name compared to 3GS (ipa I look at you).

And I dont have pre-crash, although I dont know how does that have to do with interior quality? Doesnt change a single thing in the interior. I also dont have the moonroof.

All in all, I am not putting 2IS interior onto the pedestal, it is good but nothing crazy, and had plenty of faults, a lot of them fixed in 3IS (legroom at the back for instance, or rear bench, although it didnt bug me personally). If they just "fix" the rattles, like they improved it in 4GS vs 3GS, they have done all I personally need.

Uhm, it actually does have different interior quality. Hate to tell you this - but our seats are COMPLETELY different. So are numerous pieces of center trim, etc. In fact, so is the steering wheel. And the instrument cluster. We have a different rear-deck, different rear-view mirror....

Regarding the "pre-crash", you stated you have a "loaded" 2IS. Loaded implies all the features. If your car is devoid of a sunroof, pre-crash, and who knows what other options I would not refer to that as loaded.

I am completely unaware of the "rattles" that you have, either. My 2008 IS F did not have a rattle problem (the driver's seat did squeak slightly) and my 2010 IS F had no rattles until I lowered it and changed the exhaust. Even then, the car doesn't "rattle" as I drive around, but it certainly does take more of a beating due to the suspension/wheel changes and the vibration from the exhaust.

If you want to hear a car that "rattles" go buy a jaguar XF. That's rattling.

Quick Reply: Competition...