IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Considering pre-ordering the 3IS

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-13, 12:37 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 168 Likes on 100 Posts

You are putting yourself in a tough position and hoping for a very hard thing. With a new model like the IS, there is almost alwasy no negotiating whether it's ordered or off the lot. When there's a new Lexus to be had, it's customary for dealers to get full sticker or above. Supply and demand for a respectable company. Everyone will be out on the lots when the cars arrive trying to pick one out. The IS should draw the same attention as all recent new Lexus models, if not more.
Now, that doesn't mean there are rare exceptions to this. Maybe someone knows the dealer's wife or daughter? Maybe someone has been working with a salesguy for a year on a deal and promises were made. Maybe....
It's really a longshot. Each week and month you wait, the better your chances are at getting money off sticker.
Old 04-14-13, 08:52 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,745 Likes on 1,963 Posts

Originally Posted by Aeromotive
You're right. Do you think they'll discount those models which sit in the lot (the ones people ordered but didn't buy)? If so we might wait a few weeks for models to become available...
You need to get yourself away from this idea that people are going to "order" cars and then not purchase them, and then those cars are going to "sit on the lot". Thats not going to happen for several reasons:

1. Its not really an order, its an allocation to their inventory. They would be getting the car whether someone "orders it" or not, they are just allocating it with your name on it. When your name is taken off of it, they will sell it to someone else, since the car is new and highly anticipated, there will be plenty of buyers.

2. Relatively few people "order", they just come to the dealer, look at what is available or what is coming within the next week and buy. If an order gets "cancelled", that car becomes one that these buyers buy.

Its just not going to happen.

I read somewhere that a rule of thumb is that invoice is roughly 10% less than sticker price. I'm guessing our chances of getting anything close to invoice are slim to none?
Again I ask : can we expect the dealer to negotiate more on "available" models rather than "order" models, since they would want to lower their inventory? Or maybe that doesn't apply to a new and hot model?
Invoice prices are available online from sites like Edmunds, etc.

You're not going to get any significant discounts on the IS for a LONG time. Unlike the GS, the IS is a less expensive higher volume model, so I wouldn't even use the GS as an example of how long it may take for IS sales to calm down to where even $2,000 over invoice is a possibility.

If you are buying within 3 months of launch, you're going to pay MSRP. This won't be an invoice car for a LONG time.

"Available" and "order" cars are the same thing. Its all supply and demand, at first demand will outpace supply and there will be do deals. Whether you allocate one or buy one on the lot, they aren't going to discount the car if they can sell it to someone else in 3 hours.
Old 04-14-13, 07:52 PM
Aeromotive
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks to both of you. All my interrogations are now answered
We'll now re-think this through and see if we can wait a few months for a possible price negotiation/drop.
Old 04-14-13, 08:52 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 270 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
You are putting yourself in a tough position and hoping for a very hard thing. With a new model like the IS, there is almost alwasy no negotiating whether it's ordered or off the lot. When there's a new Lexus to be had, it's customary for dealers to get full sticker or above. Supply and demand for a respectable company. Everyone will be out on the lots when the cars arrive trying to pick one out. The IS should draw the same attention as all recent new Lexus models, if not more.
Now, that doesn't mean there are rare exceptions to this. Maybe someone knows the dealer's wife or daughter? Maybe someone has been working with a salesguy for a year on a deal and promises were made. Maybe....
It's really a longshot. Each week and month you wait, the better your chances are at getting money off sticker.
You can always negotiate a deal with fleet manager even for 3IS.
Old 04-14-13, 09:36 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

If you're buying in bulk.

They're not going to give you a significant deal on a brand new in demand model, even through the fleet department.
Old 04-15-13, 03:03 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

IS is nice selling car so just wait a bit for end of the year deals... it wont be long... but you sure wont be able to pre-order at invoice price unless you know someone.
Old 04-15-13, 11:22 AM
LexFather

Yeah December to Remember ftw
Old 04-15-13, 11:45 AM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

If you have to wait to save a few buck, then you probably should be buying. For me the whole joy was having a unique car, and the first special order 2G IS 350 the dealer ever had. Sadly being the first special order wasn't without drawbacks, as Lexus doesn't really like to do them, or have a decent order tracking mechanism.

You're on crack if you think you can special order (without deposit), cancel, then wait for it to be discounted. That's what it sounds like to me anyways.

Even IF they could get you in the order system today, you would not have the vehicle by July or likely even August. Special orders likely start in June, so you're looking at Sep/Oct delivery.

Last edited by TimboIS; 04-15-13 at 01:10 PM.
Old 04-15-13, 12:17 PM
palidino
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Graduation gift as in college/uni? Just curious lol
Old 04-15-13, 07:28 PM
Aeromotive
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Blueprint
Yeah December to Remember ftw
So there aren't any chances of getting a better price before december? I don't know if we can wait for december. Might as well buy before, then!

Originally Posted by TimboIS

You're on crack if you think you can special order (without deposit), cancel, then wait for it to be discounted. That's what it sounds like to me anyways.

Even IF they could get you in the order system today, you would not have the vehicle by July or likely even August. Special orders likely start in June, so you're looking at Sep/Oct delivery.
I wasn't talking about a special order. It's just pre-ordering. What kind of "special order" does Lexus do? Stitch your name on the headrests or something?

Originally Posted by palidino
Graduation gift as in college/uni? Just curious lol
Yeah, as I stated in OP, it's a graduation gift
Old 04-15-13, 09:15 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

So there aren't any chances of getting a better price before december? I don't know if we can wait for december. Might as well buy before,
No...and there may not even be great deals by December. The ES deals weren't great during December to Remember this past year, I suspect the IS will follow a path more similar to the ES than the GS.

If you want the car in 2013 you're going to have to pay MSRP or maybe slightly less if you get lucky.

Asking the question again and again isn't going to change the answer unfortunately...

Last edited by SW17LS; 04-15-13 at 09:21 PM.
Old 04-15-13, 09:30 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

I wasn't talking about a special order. It's just pre-ordering. What kind of "special order" does Lexus do? Stitch your name on the headrests or something?
Then why pre-order?!? Just wait and see what the dealer gets in stock. I doubt there's going to be a huge rush on them (it's not an iPhone).

Or you can Special Order to get the EXACT configuration you want, rather than just accepting whatever configs Lexus Corporate deems suitable for your region. ie. My IS has PCS (and every other option), you'll likely NEVER see an IS like that unless it's been special ordered.
Old 04-15-13, 09:35 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Thanks Blueprint. I find it hard to believe that you can order a car to your taste, and if you don't like it, you walk away and the dealer is stuck with it. Doesn't it encourage some kind of abuse? And is it a common thing among Lexus dealerships (at least in North America)?

I understand the new IS isn't to the taste of everyone. I personally like the new style, especially after seeing it in person.
trust me, the dealer will not be stuck with that car. someone will buy it.
Old 04-16-13, 05:30 AM
Aeromotive
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SW10ES
Asking the question again and again isn't going to change the answer unfortunately...
I'm not asking the same question again and again. It's people who are answering the question again and again. In post #25 I simply answered Blueprint. See below what I posted 2 days ago. Yet people kept posting... not that it bothers me, though.

Thanks to both of you. All my interrogations are now answered
We'll now re-think this through and see if we can wait a few months for a possible price negotiation/drop.
Again I thank everyone for their input and opinion. I appreciate the help... we will keep thinking about this for the next few weeks and try to push the purchase a few months.

Last edited by Aeromotive; 04-16-13 at 05:36 AM.
Old 04-16-13, 01:12 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Thats the thing, if you really want/need the car you should just buy it. In the end we're talking about a couple thousand dollars you might save by waiting...in order to get down to invoice you're going to be waiting closer to 7,8,9 months or even longer. You have to ask yourself, is $1-2k in a $45,000 auto purchase worth waiting past when you really want/need the car?

Quick Reply: Considering pre-ordering the 3IS