IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

The 2.5L V6's days are numbered

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-13, 02:34 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

After reading all this here, I'm reminded of how Audi led the 2.0T path in 2005 with the introduction of theirs in the A4. And we had Mercedes with their smaller "Kompressor" in the C-Class. Soon came BMW, and now finally Lexus 10+ years later. At least one advantage to always being late to the party is ensured reliability, after everyone else is done being guinea pigs.
Old 05-29-13, 02:54 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
After reading all this here, I'm reminded of how Audi led the 2.0T path in 2005 with the introduction of theirs in the A4. And we had Mercedes with their smaller "Kompressor" in the C-Class. Soon came BMW, and now finally Lexus 10+ years later. At least one advantage to always being late to the party is ensured reliability, after everyone else is done being guinea pigs.
back then why would you even have 4cly? 3.5 GR all the way...

... now mpg is much more important than then.
Old 05-30-13, 06:24 AM
bam
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Glad to see that the 2.5L is going the way of the Doo Doo bird. It's way underpowered and by today's standards, it gets fairly poor mpg compared to other 4 cyclinder engines that also produced way more power and get way better mpg.

I'm still really surprised that Toyota still hasn't gotten on the turbo wagon considering that they've done it before and everybody else is putting turbos in their cars to not only get way more power but still getting very good mpg.

Some cars work well and sell well when you add a hybid system to their available options such as a Camry because of the demographics. Other cars don't. People buying an IS don't necessarily care too much about mpg whereas performance is one of the primary drivers of the purchase. The IS would be a prime candidate for a turbo engine.

Considering how Toyota wants the IS to be a legitimate competitor to the 3 series, C class, A4, ATS, and G37 (or whatever it's called now), it really needs to get up to speed with their engine offerings. Updating a car to a new generation but keeping an engine that's over 6 years old in the car is no bueno.
Old 05-30-13, 07:58 AM
webra
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Actually such engine already exists...as a 3.5 V6 it powers the forced induction Lotus Evora.
Old 05-30-13, 03:46 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by webra
Actually such engine already exists...as a 3.5 V6 it powers the forced induction Lotus Evora.
There's also a supercharged 3.5L DI V6 option in the RWD Toyota Mark X (maybe even the Crown )
Old 05-30-13, 04:29 PM
Mr Bond
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Audi has always offered V6 engines with about the same power figures as their 4 cyl turbos, Audi actually does even today, for example the Audi A6/A7 2.8 V6 with 204 hp. In Europe that is.

The real reason for those small turboengines by german brands has always been taxes, and has really nothing to do with "downsizing" or that they predicted the future in some way. It was more like an necessary evil to be able to sell their cars in some countries.
Old 05-30-13, 05:10 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
There's also a supercharged 3.5L DI V6 option in the RWD Toyota Mark X (maybe even the Crown )
its TRD factory package... considering how indentical the specs are, same package is probably in Lotus.
Old 05-31-13, 09:51 PM
TXDriver
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BLexodus
We dont 'know' anything for sure, but it appears that at least two people that posted earlier in the thread have little birdies that tell them things.

Based on the known develpment of the 2.0t by Lexus/Toyota, based on the increasing mpg standards, and based on other auto manufacturer trends like the BMW 3 series with 4cy turbo, I bet that it is highly likely that this 2.0t or a retuned version of it make it into the new IS at some point.
Originally Posted by spwolf
because Lexus had trademarked things like NX200t, which is next generation Lexus small ute.

They went with 2.0l to get tax incentives in countries like China.

Considering that in China they have 4cly ES250 and RX270, I bet this engine will end up in many Lexus vehicles, maybe with exception for LS.
Thanks, I hope it is true.
Old 05-31-13, 09:55 PM
TXDriver
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BLexodus
By the way, for those ripping 4 cy engines, or for those worried that it wont be quick or smooth, go drive a new BMW 328i with the 2.0t 4cy. BMW lists the HP at 240 (5000-6000 rpm) and Tq at 255 (1250-4800). The BMW listed 0-60 time is 5.8 seconds, but that is generally conservative, for example they list the 335i time at 5.1. Lexus lists the IS350 at 5.6 and the IS250 at 7.9 for RWD models. So the BMW 4 cy turbo is only 0.2 seconds slower 0-60 than the IS350! And it has an 8 speed auto that is pretty decent. The combo is a quiet ride unless you really get on it. (MPG is 23/33)

Knowing Lexus they will likely produce less HP than the BMW but will produce a more reliable engine with good fuel economy, hopefully with a good 8 speed tranny. I think its worth holding out for. Given that HP isnt near the top of my list anymore, I would highly consider a IS200t next year if I dont upgrade to an RX or something like that before then.
I've driven the new N20 engine in the 328 and is has plenty of power. It seemed as responsive to my old in-line 6 I had several years ago. While that engine had a lot of low-end torque, I didn't think the new N20 lacked any torque. And for that car to get ~30 mpg is a great achievement. Now in Eco mode it sucked, but in Comfort mode more than adequate, and especially in Sport mode it was exciting.
Old 06-08-13, 03:33 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 476 Likes on 314 Posts

The way I see it, I'd like to see Lexus with a big range of engines - to suit all tastes - to keep everyone happy.
I will cost more; yes.
Audi seems to manage it okay.

Have a range of traditional naturally aspirated engines in 2.5, 3.0 and 3.5 V6; esp marketed in countries where gasoline is relatively cheaper.
A range of small capacity turbos, especially marketed in continents where gasoline is more expensive, like Europe.
A range of small capacity turbo hybrids, esp in continents that place a priority on gasoline, low emissions, and high city driving.

The important point to understand is that each of these different types of engines have different advantages and disadvantages.
The traditional atmospheric is great, but not as fuel efficient, nor as powerful.
The small capacity turbos will always have that turbo lag, however small, and never as instant and flat a torque curve as an atmospheric engine.
The gasoline-electric hybrid will always be some 100 kg or 225 pounds heavier, than the typical 1500 kg or 3300 pound luxury vehicles.
While the average mass public can't consciously tell the difference in additional weight and handling, most enthusiasts can notice the hybrid's penalty in weight and handling.
Everyone should be able to notice the smaller boot capacity, but the hybrid does have great city stop start mileage, and very low emissions levels.

Thus, horses for courses.
Have a full range of choices like Audi, and keep as many people as happy as possible.
I wouldn't axe the 2.5 V6 till gasoline becomes ridiculously expensive...
Old 06-08-13, 08:02 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You forgot about larger capacity turbo engines
Old 06-08-13, 10:17 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by peteharvey
The way I see it, I'd like to see Lexus with a big range of engines - to suit all tastes - to keep everyone happy.
I will cost more; yes.
Audi seems to manage it okay.

Have a range of traditional naturally aspirated engines in 2.5, 3.0 and 3.5 V6; esp marketed in countries where gasoline is relatively cheaper.
A range of small capacity turbos, especially marketed in continents where gasoline is more expensive, like Europe.
A range of small capacity turbo hybrids, esp in continents that place a priority on gasoline, low emissions, and high city driving.

The important point to understand is that each of these different types of engines have different advantages and disadvantages.
The traditional atmospheric is great, but not as fuel efficient, nor as powerful.
The small capacity turbos will always have that turbo lag, however small, and never as instant and flat a torque curve as an atmospheric engine.
The gasoline-electric hybrid will always be some 100 kg or 225 pounds heavier, than the typical 1500 kg or 3300 pound luxury vehicles.
While the average mass public can't consciously tell the difference in additional weight and handling, most enthusiasts can notice the hybrid's penalty in weight and handling.
Everyone should be able to notice the smaller boot capacity, but the hybrid does have great city stop start mileage, and very low emissions levels.

Thus, horses for courses.
Have a full range of choices like Audi, and keep as many people as happy as possible.
I wouldn't axe the 2.5 V6 till gasoline becomes ridiculously expensive...
I like your ideas of letting the customer choose. But as time goes on, we are getting to choose less and less when it comes to customizing the options and mechanicals of our cars. Oh well.

As far as using Audi as an example, they used to be more encompassing, but have recently cheapened out too with engine choices. The current A4 debuted with three motors. After one model year, they dumped the middle one. Now it's either all or little. At least the "little" motor is a good one.
Old 06-08-13, 11:37 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,247 Likes on 868 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
That is a nice engine and really, the Mark X should be sold here in the US as an alternative to the Avalon. Chevrolet has entered this segment with the SS. Regardless of Lexus, Toyota should have a RWD sedan. There was even a limited "G's" edition of the supercharged model that included a 6-speed manual transmission.

I digress: if Lexus were to sell the new IS250 with this 4cyl turbo putting out at least 250 horsepower and return a 6-speed manual and LSD to the option sheet they'd have my attention. That would be in line with Cadillac's ATS 2.0T 6-speed LSD model. The IS350 can remain the big horsepower V6 car while the IS-F can... well... return to the showroom.

I'd love to see Lexus start using turbos. They've only been offering turbo luxury cars for years in Japan. I'd wish for a new overbuilt inline-six too but I'll settle for some more interesting luxury/sporty Lexus vehicles using forced induction regardless of the cylinder count or cylinder layout.
Old 06-09-13, 05:57 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

My only concern with the a 2L turbo four is if it will be as smooth and silky sounding as the 2.5L V6 which yes is underpowered, but a gem of a an engine.
Old 06-11-13, 08:05 AM
B16da9
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
My only concern with the a 2L turbo four is if it will be as smooth and silky sounding as the 2.5L V6 which yes is underpowered, but a gem of a an engine.
If you disregard the carbon build up issue........ then it is a gem of an engine.

Quick Reply: The 2.5L V6's days are numbered