IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

A quick review on IS300h

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-13 | 08:28 AM
UpSideDown
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by IanP
That's interesting.

I remember the first time I switched to diesel from full petrol (in a car that was otherwise the same, a 1G Volvo S60). For about a month I was really unhappy with it, the car just didn't respond as I expected - the smooth petrol acceleration was replaced by a kind of weirdly cyclical, illogical diesel.

But after a while, you adapt.

I suspect CVT is similar.
yeah, if you have bought the car then soon or later you will/have to adapt to it. Just don't regret it, that will be expensive.
Old 06-14-13 | 09:23 AM
UpSideDown
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by rayaans
I hate the sound of the CT and the really low power or I would have got it. As for the droning sound. Seriously, after a while it becomes quite fun. Kind of like driving a stealth jet. Maybe its because the RX does push you back in the seat though.
I think it sounds more like a motor boat than a jet.
Old 06-14-13 | 09:31 AM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

The CT definately sounds like a motor boat. I think its the prius engine, its horrible. The 450h's sound like jets. The GS450h is the best sounding hybrid they make I think.
Old 06-14-13 | 09:59 AM
IanP
Rookie

USD,

Given the tax breaks (in the UK at least), thankfully not *too* expensive!
Old 06-14-13 | 10:13 AM
UpSideDown
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by IanP
USD,

Given the tax breaks (in the UK at least), thankfully not *too* expensive!
It was meant if you find out that you don't like it after the purchase, it will be expensive to switch.
Old 06-14-13 | 01:47 PM
IanP
Rookie

USD,

I know - I'm on contract, so frankly I'll just have to live with it!
Old 06-14-13 | 05:06 PM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

does contract not work out more expensive in total? Im sure its like 5.9% at best
Old 06-15-13 | 05:19 AM
IanP
Rookie

You really can't say, because the negotiation starts from an entirely different point - you never actually negotiate on the price of the car.
Old 06-15-13 | 05:49 AM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

when theres interest involved, its always going to be more expensive anyway isnt it?
Old 06-15-13 | 02:09 PM
IanP
Rookie

R.,

It really is almost impossible to tell what a (private) contract hire would have been as the whole negotiation would have been different - I would probably have had to use my old car as trade-in for a start, and thus got less for it.

But clearly, cars are brutally expensive no matter what way you go about it! And unless you win the lottery or have an inheritance, buying them just by writing a cheque for 30k+ is not really an option, so interest will come into it.

One thing that was undeniable, when I looked at the working of the on-going negotiation, was that they couldn't knock much off the basic price of the car, but they were able to knock *a lot* off the price of options (I've bought a Lux with added leather, sat-nav and metallic paint). That's always the case, no matter how you buy.
Old 06-15-13 | 06:16 PM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

IanP - I think its always expensive. Its always worked out that way for me anyway. When I bought mine, the basic price was £51,995. I added the metallic paint and the ML stereo and the total price was £53,650. Now my RX300 was valued at £5700 (£29300 depreciation in 7.5 years as it was a late 2004 model, not too bad tbh).

I was offered a 7% discount to which I basically walked out and refused. Offered 8% the day after which I still refused. I asked for 10% but settled at 9% and Lexus threw in the boot liner too. After the discount on the list price the car was £48,822. Minus the £5700 for my part exchange and the remaining balance is £43,122.

Now here is where the problems start. If I walk in with a suitcase full of cash or a cheque, I pay £43,122. Credit card was never an option as they dont accept cards. Now if I went the finance route, 5.9% it was at the time, Id pay £45,666. That is approximately £2500, which for people like myself who are on 40% tax have to earn approx £4200 to get that money in our hands. Its always cheaper paying by cash/cheque.

Now, what about a business contract hire? Surely thats got to be cheaper right? Well sadly, its even more expensive than financing and alot more expensive than buying outright. Bear in mind, we are talking about the same car - Lexus RX450h F Sport ML, metallic paint, no maintenance, 10,000 miles per annum, all excluding VAT - £2000 deposit, 35 monthly payments of £711.76 (£24912 in total) and a £150 processing fee. The total cost of this in 3 years is £27062. Minus the £5700 for my car and the cost is £21,362. Also, because the vehicle is leased, the price of insurance instantly goes up. Furthermore, as the car is being used both, for business and privately, 50% of the VAT has to be paid - total cost £23,231 (VAT calculated at 8.75% - half of 17.5%).

Now bearing in mind the cost of buying with cash/cheque is £43,122 as mentioned earlier and the value of the vehicle in 3 years with 30,000 miles and in average condition is £26,000 at the lowest, the total cost in 3 years of buying outright is £17,122.

Therefore, the conclusion is that business contract hire is more expensive by between £4000-6000 depending on whether the car is solely used for business or whether it is also used privately. Again, there could be a larger difference in costs between buying outright and business contract hire as the contracting companies will never give you money back if your car is in an excellent condition, whereas when selling, the price will be increased if the condition of the vehicle is excellent. Obviously, probably the same £4000-6000 difference in costs if vehicle is in a poor condition due to both selling price going down and also more money charged by the contract company for damage. Bear in mind, the contract company will never give you money back if your car is in a great condition but will always knock the price down, even for the slightest scratch.

Bearing in mind that paying by cheque or cash would cost £43,122 and the estimated value of the vehicle in 3 years is for an average condition car, £25,000
Old 06-20-13 | 01:37 PM
UpSideDown
Lead Lap

Back to the topic.

My dealer has a black on black 300h F-sport sitting on the lot. Check out the new wheel gap.

The new IS f-sport is sitting much higher than my 2IS f-sport (in the reflection).
Old 06-20-13 | 03:14 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

it is the same as your 2IS, unless you modified it... it just didnt pass PDI so tires are overinflated for shipping and there is something blocking the springs as well.
Old 06-20-13 | 03:24 PM
UpSideDown
Lead Lap

My car was parked side by side to it and I have compared the gap. It is bigger than my car. There is nothing that blocks the spring on the new IS. I've checked. And my car is not lowered.
Old 06-20-13 | 04:55 PM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

The new car has a deeper front bumper. Basically, its higher so it can clear road humps without catching the front bumper on kerbs and bumps for example. Look at the stones in front of the wheels. A typical speed hump or kerb is twice the height of that. If the car was lower, it would catch the front bumper.

Quick Reply: A quick review on IS300h