Crazy Drivers Floor Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-13, 10:34 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,062 Likes on 586 Posts
Arrow

Originally Posted by heisnuts
Thanks, Joe Z. I think the bump is bigger in the IS than in the GS (probably because the GS is a bigger car and has more width to the console). Under normal driving the bump sits just below my leg, but if I moved my leg at all the bottom of my leg would rub up against the hump. It's good to know the RWD does not have this hump, and maybe that is why most of the press cars and picture cars are RWD.
No problem..

The above photos are from a Press Car, when they test the AWD in Texas...

The AWD transmission photo, is from Ebay..

~ Joe Z
Old 06-17-13, 03:49 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,703 Likes on 1,937 Posts

Looks about the same size as the hump in mine to me...
Old 06-17-13, 06:23 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

we live in a time where we can genetically pinpoint cancer genes, have space programs to live on mars, cars that run on other things but oil, but we can't find a way to make the awd transmission smaller?
The following users liked this post:
AquaMayne (04-04-21)
Old 06-17-13, 06:31 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gd0t
whoa! i had no idea that bump was that big. these engineers couldn't get it on the other side??!
Neither did I. I've driven a handful of AWD vehicles and never noticed anything of that magnitude.
Old 06-17-13, 06:38 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by aw04lfan
It's on the correct side for Japanese drivers
Beat me to it
Old 06-18-13, 02:10 AM
UpSideDown
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It looks like it wont be comfortable if you use the cruise control and get off you foot from the gas pedal...
Old 06-18-13, 09:43 AM
heisnuts
Rookie

Originally Posted by UpSideDown
It looks like it wont be comfortable if you use the cruise control and get off you foot from the gas pedal...
Yeah, if you are using the cruise control, you would want to move your foot over to the left to clear the bump. It's not a huge deal, but I look at it as if I am going to be spending close to $50K for the car, I want it without the bump. Even though it does rain here a lot, I a thinking the RWD with traction control will be just fine. The RWD will not have the bump, will get a little better gas mileage, and save me a little over $1K on the purchase price on the car. It might also have a little better pick up since it is not having to power all 4 wheels.
Old 06-18-13, 10:43 AM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Plenty of people drive in the rain, most don't have AWD vehicles. Rain isn't an issue provided you have good tread, that goes for AWD, RWD or FWD vehicles. Now if you're dealing with snow, the AWD has a distinct advantage.
Old 06-18-13, 10:50 AM
heisnuts
Rookie

Originally Posted by Ramon
Plenty of people drive in the rain, most don't have AWD vehicles. Rain isn't an issue provided you have good tread, that goes for AWD, RWD or FWD vehicles. Now if you're dealing with snow, the AWD has a distinct advantage.
Exactly. We only get a few days of snow a year and for those days I would leave the IS home and take our RX350 that has the AWD.
Old 06-18-13, 11:30 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I too don't have a need for the AWD, I just got an AWD out of ease and because of the resale issue I mentioned.

Don't however go to a lot of trouble and expense ordering one RWD because of the hump. I have put nearly 10,000 miles on my 4GS with the hump and you just don't even realize its there, even when using cruise control.
Old 06-18-13, 11:48 AM
heisnuts
Rookie

good point. If the dealer had an AWD on the lot exactly the way I wanted it, I would go ahead with it, however, I have a feeling I will end up ordering either way because the chances of the dealer having the car optioned the way I would want (nav with or without mark levenson pkg, lux pkg, parking assist, and VGRS) will be slim to none. The resale may not matter much either since I have been known to keep cars for over 15 years....
Old 06-18-13, 11:52 AM
UpSideDown
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SW13GS
I too don't have a need for the AWD, I just got an AWD out of ease and because of the resale issue I mentioned.

Don't however go to a lot of trouble and expense ordering one RWD because of the hump. I have put nearly 10,000 miles on my 4GS with the hump and you just don't even realize its there, even when using cruise control.
I think you will get use to this sort of things. One thing I wonder, how the felt on that hump will look like over the time. I can imagine that you will step on it when you go in and out of the car?
Old 06-18-13, 11:58 AM
heisnuts
Rookie

I think you will get use to this sort of things. One thing I wonder, how the felt on that hump will look like over the time. I can imagine that you will step on it when you go in and out of the car?
I don't think you will hit it getting out of the car, but since your leg will sometimes be resting up against it when driving I would imaging you will see some wear on it over the years. You might also rub up against it when first getting into the car.
Old 06-18-13, 01:57 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

No, you never step on it, I never even have to vacuum mine.
Old 06-18-13, 08:15 PM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
No, you never step on it, I never even have to vacuum mine.
I think it is YMMV.

Whether the heel of your feet hits the lump depends on the size of your feet. Yesterday, I sat in 2013 IS350 AWD and I found the back of my shoe has some contact with the lump. Now whether it is a practical cleanliness issue or not depends on whether you will have messy snow in winter in your area.

Besides, i find the problem is not about the lump itself but it is the shape of the lump which causes the problem, The lump in 2013 BMW 335i X-Drive or the 2014 Q50 AWD that I sat today seem to be less intrusive. 2013 GS AWD is fine as well.

Quick Reply: Crazy Drivers Floor Question