Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great info guys, thanks for sharing!
Old 06-23-13, 08:01 PM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Bushum
I don't like the front end of the fsport. It looks like they tried to copy Audi and went overboard. I think if the center black license plate bar was on the outside of the mesh it would look 100% better.
This is one of the few reasons non F-Sport model may be preferred by some people.

The F-Sport treatment of IS is quite unique, though. The alternative treatment of center black license plate bar that you have suggested is something is done in LS F-Sport.

I guess we would get used to it over time. This design may grow. For myself, without a test drive, I am also more inclined for the non-F Sport model at this moment.
Old 06-24-13, 12:31 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Originally Posted by SNiiP3R
I agree the plastic parts look cheap The previous gen was on par with the GS in terms of materials. Now you can really tell the difference. Not sure if it's a good or bad thing. The time will tell. Hopefully I can get to drive one soon.
I just drove both the standard car and the F Sport, and obviously drove there and back in my GS.

I agree there are some lower quality plastics, but they did not jump out at me the way they do in the 6ES. I think the disparity between the IS and GS has as much to do with the 4GS being such an improvement in interior quality over the 3GS as any difference between the 2IS and 3IS...
Old 06-25-13, 04:57 AM
silvaIS
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default grill

I saw the grill in person in my dealership and even though I like the look, the grill looks like it will shatter once a little lady tries to park parallel next to you.

I don't think it can take much impact and will be hella much to replace.
Old 06-25-13, 05:38 AM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SW13GS
I just drove both the standard car and the F Sport, and obviously drove there and back in my GS.

I agree there are some lower quality plastics, but they did not jump out at me the way they do in the 6ES. I think the disparity between the IS and GS has as much to do with the 4GS being such an improvement in interior quality over the 3GS as any difference between the 2IS and 3IS...
Would you like to share your view on the comparison between standard and F-Sport 3IS in terms of handling and ride? There are still a few days before I can see 3IS in my local dealership. :P
Old 06-25-13, 07:04 AM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by AndyL
Would you like to share your view on the comparison between standard and F-Sport 3IS in terms of handling and ride? There are still a few days before I can see 3IS in my local dealership. :P
Yes, please do.
Old 06-25-13, 10:22 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I personally thought the F Sport gained a lot of style and handling without sacrificing a whole lot in the ride department. I would definitely choose the F Sport in the IS.
Old 06-25-13, 10:47 AM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the feedback!
Old 06-25-13, 04:05 PM
yok3dIS
Intermediate

Received 209 Likes on 81 Posts

Felt the same way when I saw the pictures, but after seeing it in person and test driving it ... I WANT ONE!

Originally Posted by Bushum
I don't like the front end of the fsport. It looks like they tried to copy Audi and went overboard. I think if the center black license plate bar was on the outside of the mesh it would look 100% better.
Old 06-25-13, 07:12 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I agree, in person the front end of the F Sport is very distinctive. Doesn't look like an Audi at all.
Old 06-26-13, 03:46 AM
kabgolf1
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pictures do not do the F-Sport front end justice. Even though I think the front end looks good in the pictures, it is amazing in person. Pictures do not capture the dimensional look that it has. If it were not for the F-Sport, I would have probably chosen to get away from the IS as, for me, the regular front end is too conservative.
Old 06-26-13, 05:24 AM
gocubs08
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agreed! I saw many pictures before I walked into the dealership and thought it was nice, but wasnt completely sold. I was shopping with my Fiance' who has been really picky on what kind of car we should get next, we visited 3 different dealers that day, including Jaguar, Audi, Mercedes & even Tesla and our last stop was Lexus and once we saw the new F-Sport we both were like "Holy S***" Its the contour of the body, how low the front end appears to sit, the way the rear wheels/tires bulge out slightly and how aggressive the car looks. Basically like that "wow" factor so many cars are missing these days. We both felt like every car we looked at was all of the same. So yes, go see this car for yourself. You wont be disappointed!

Also,
I Cant find any info on the quality of the new the Lexus Audio system... I wonder how it compares with the 2IS. Obviously the ML system is amazing, but I thought the 2IS Lexus Audio wasn't too shabby. I'm hoping for the same or possibly better Audio quality. I haven't seen one mention or review on it yet

Last edited by gocubs08; 06-26-13 at 05:36 AM.
Old 06-26-13, 05:40 AM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by gocubs08
Agreed! I saw many pictures before I walked into the dealership and thought it was nice, but wasnt completely sold. I was shopping with my Fiance' who has been really picky on what kind of car we should get next, we visited 3 different dealers that day, including Jaguar, Audi, Mercedes & even Tesla and our last stop was Lexus and once we saw the new F-Sport we both were like "Holy ******" Its the contour of the body, how low the front end appears to sit, the way the rear wheels/tires bulge out slightly and how aggressive the car looks. Basically like that "wow" factor so many cars are missing these days. We both felt like every car we looked at was all of the same. So yes, go see this car for yourself. You wont be disappointed!

Also,
I Cant find any info on the quality of the new the Lexus Audio system... I wonder how it compares with the 2IS. Obviously the ML system is amazing, but I thought the 2IS Lexus Audio wasn't too shabby. I'm hoping for the same or possibly better Audio quality. I haven't seen one mention or review on it yet
Here you go..taken from Toyota Canada web site..

http://media.toyota.ca/pr/tci/en/lex...ng-244451.aspx

Premium Sound System
The new Lexus IS is fitted as standard with a Premium Sound System representing the next generation of realism and clarity in Lexus sound. It features a fully digital, Class-D, 8 channel amplifier capable of creating virtually distortion-free sound with minimal voltage losses. The natural sound dynamics and rich harmonies generated by the high definition amplification are faithfully reproduced by an enhanced, 8-speaker layout which features a new, 55 mm wide-range tweeter.

iPod functionality and interface quality has been enhanced; via USB port connectivity, the iPod menu can now be driven from the vehicle’s steering wheel control switches, and album cover art displayed on the 7” multimedia screen.

Mark Levinson® Premium Surround System
Available with the new IS’s EMVN system, the Mark Levinson® Premium Surround System creates sound based on the concepts of Effortless Dynamics and Effortless Transient Response, which combine natural dynamics with high response and tracking performance to offer sound quality equivalent to that of a live, concert hall performance.

Using the same technologies as those found in top-end home audio systems, it features a 12 channel fully digital Class-D amplifier generating a total of 835 Watts through 15 GreenEdgeTM high-efficiency loudspeakers. A Lexus first, a new Auto Volume system automatically adjusts system volume for each song being played to ensure consistent volume levels and full audibility for even the quietest passages of music.

Developing twice the volume for the same power consumption, GreenEdgeTM power-saving technology has been incorporated into each of the 15 speakers. GreenEdgeTM technology covers a wider frequency band than conventional systems, giving an enhanced dynamic range.

The new Mark Levinson® system features three, newly-developed, 90 mm GreenEdgeTM speakers mounted at the front of the cabin, with UnityTM technology which integrates mid- and high-range units within the same structure. To the rear, two further 90 mm GreenEdgeTM units feature new, Wide Dispersion technology, with built-in acoustic lenses to disperse the sound more evenly throughout the cabin. In combination, these 5 speakers give consistent timbre for both front and rear seat occupants, resulting in a whole new level of surround sound, definition, atmosphere and quality.

A new, 200 mm GreenEdgeTM subwoofer features the latest Inverted Motor Structure technology, in which the magnetic circuit is mounted in an inverted position, significantly reducing the depth of the unit with no loss of power or acoustic performance, while offering significant space savings in system packaging

Also speaker details from Lexus Japan...

http://lexus.jp/models/is/comfort/au...ion/index.html
Old 06-26-13, 06:37 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 160 Likes on 118 Posts

something i didnt know - Japanese units, at least, support Blu-Ray discs....
Old 06-26-13, 06:43 AM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by spwolf
something i didnt know - Japanese units, at least, support Blu-Ray discs....
For 3IS sold in Japan, both standard and Mark Levinson ones support blu-ray. That might explain why Mark Levinson upgrade is noticeably more expensive in Japan (234150 yens, tax in)

Quick Reply: test drove the 2014 IS350 F Sport