IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Price Paid for an IS250/350?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-15 | 09:39 PM
bpguns
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Stero87
There are options to get out of a lease: you can transfer lease to someone else or sell the vehicle as well. If I have to sell the vehicle within the next 4 years, which is highly unlikely, I'd rather be stuck with a lower payment than a higher payment in case I can't sell it.

Anybody else have thoughts on this deal specifically instead of advice on whether or not I should lease? I've decided to lease.

MSRP: 47,519
Rebate: 1,500
Tint: 345
Nitrogen: 60
Annual Mileage: 10,000
Trade Value: 34,024
Trade Payoff: 34,024
Residual Value: 26,135.45
Money Factor: .0085
Lease term: 48 months
Money down: 0
Monthly payment: 531
I would not consider this a good deal at all. Based on my calculations, you're using a selling price equal to MSRP which means you haven't negotiated the car price down at all. Using all the numbers you posted I'm getting about $535/mo which lines up correctly, and to get that I used full MSRP as the selling price. I just signed a 36 month lease for the same MSRP ($47,519) for $385/mo even with crappy tax laws for leases here in GA - to get that monthly payment, the negotiated selling price was just under $42,000. Your MF is reasonable at .00085 - you might be able to get that down to .00065 if your credit is good. Or you can put down multiple security deposits (MSD) to reduce the money factor - each MSD is one monthly payment (rounded up to the nearest $50) and it reduces the money factor by .00008 each - and you get it back at the end of the lease unlike a down payment.

Here are some comparisons for you - keeping everything else the same, if you:
Put down 4 security deposits ($2200) --> ~$510/mo, or
Put down 8 security deposits ($4400) --> ~$485/mo, or
Negotiate selling price down to $44k --> ~$453/mo, or
Negotiate selling price down to $42k --> ~$407/mo, or
Negotiate to $42k + add 8 security deposits ($3200) --> ~$360/mo

So as you can see, you really need to get that selling price down. With the numbers you gave us you're going to pay full MSRP and the dealer is going to make a killing on you. The catch is that the vehicle is at another dealer, not the one you're talking to - so that might reduce the wiggle room you have with selling price. How far away are the cars? Might be best if you can negotiate directly with the dealerships that possess those cars, then pick them up yourself once you get the right terms, and just cut out your current dealership entirely.
Old 08-11-15 | 06:47 AM
recck
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bgaerttner
Welcome to the forum - congrats on your new IS!
Thanks! I see you're talking financials with another user and wanted to put my input. I opted for the 36 month lease, 10k miles, with only $2200 down and am paying $484/m. My auto credit score is 706 (according to the dealer), however my FICO and TransUnion/Equifax scores (at the time of purchase) were >750, which unfortunately doesn't really play into the payment.

Considering all that, $531/m for 48 months seems unreasonably high.
Old 08-11-15 | 01:48 PM
titleistek
Driver School Candidate

Default Don't do it!

There are options to get out of a lease: you can transfer lease to someone else or sell the vehicle as well. If I have to sell the vehicle within the next 4 years, which is highly unlikely, I'd rather be stuck with a lower payment than a higher payment in case I can't sell it.

Anybody else have thoughts on this deal specifically instead of advice on whether or not I should lease? I've decided to lease.

MSRP: 47,519
Rebate: 1,500
Tint: 345
Nitrogen: 60
Annual Mileage: 10,000
Trade Value: 34,024
Trade Payoff: 34,024
Residual Value: 26,135.45
Money Factor: .0085
Lease term: 48 months
Money down: 0
Monthly payment: 531
This is not a good deal for you. Don't do it. Walk away or renegotiate.
Old 08-12-15 | 01:46 PM
Stero87
Rookie

Originally Posted by bpguns
I would not consider this a good deal at all. Based on my calculations, you're using a selling price equal to MSRP which means you haven't negotiated the car price down at all. Using all the numbers you posted I'm getting about $535/mo which lines up correctly, and to get that I used full MSRP as the selling price. I just signed a 36 month lease for the same MSRP ($47,519) for $385/mo even with crappy tax laws for leases here in GA - to get that monthly payment, the negotiated selling price was just under $42,000. Your MF is reasonable at .00085 - you might be able to get that down to .00065 if your credit is good. Or you can put down multiple security deposits (MSD) to reduce the money factor - each MSD is one monthly payment (rounded up to the nearest $50) and it reduces the money factor by .00008 each - and you get it back at the end of the lease unlike a down payment.

Here are some comparisons for you - keeping everything else the same, if you:
Put down 4 security deposits ($2200) --> ~$510/mo, or
Put down 8 security deposits ($4400) --> ~$485/mo, or
Negotiate selling price down to $44k --> ~$453/mo, or
Negotiate selling price down to $42k --> ~$407/mo, or
Negotiate to $42k + add 8 security deposits ($3200) --> ~$360/mo

So as you can see, you really need to get that selling price down. With the numbers you gave us you're going to pay full MSRP and the dealer is going to make a killing on you. The catch is that the vehicle is at another dealer, not the one you're talking to - so that might reduce the wiggle room you have with selling price. How far away are the cars? Might be best if you can negotiate directly with the dealerships that possess those cars, then pick them up yourself once you get the right terms, and just cut out your current dealership entirely.
According to them, instead of reducing the sales price, they're increasing my trade in value. Again, I'm trading in a 2014 IS250 that I have under a 4 year 10,000 mile per year lease, that currently has 25,000 miles on it. So instead of negative equity, they're paying off the car for me. If I remember correctly, he said they're increasing the value about $3,500 (which would've been the discount off MSRP).
Old 08-12-15 | 02:54 PM
gmanusmc
Lexus Test Driver

According to them, instead of reducing the sales price, they're increasing my trade in value. Again, I'm trading in a 2014 IS250 that I have under a 4 year 10,000 mile per year lease, that currently has 25,000 miles on it. So instead of negative equity, they're paying off the car for me. If I remember correctly, he said they're increasing the value about $3,500 (which would've been the discount off MSRP).
This is something I suspected when you posted the trade in value and payoff were the same - this is what dealers do to convince customers they are getting a decent deal. As I see it, here is your dilemma - you are on pace to be 10,000 over mileage if you choose to turn your car in at lease end. Currently, your car is worth $3500 less than the payoff. If you can wait 6-12 months, the negative equity might be reduced or possibly eliminated - not likely but who knows what the market will be. If you have a CarMax near you, get an appraisal to see what they say - they use current auction values and sometimes offer more than dealers do.

Whatever you decide, I hope things work out for you.
Old 08-12-15 | 03:06 PM
bpguns
Driver School Candidate

OK well in that case you're going to be pretty short on bargaining power. $3500 off MSRP isn't terrible but it's not great either. You should be able to get it to around $5000 off MSRP, maybe slightly more or less depending how badly they want the deal. If you can get the extra $1500 off versus where you are now, that'd bring the payment down to $500/mo. And honestly I think that is close to as good as you're going to be able to get - the negative equity on the trade is the killer.

What's the deal with the car not being at that dealership? If they don't have the car then they have to pay for it to be transported. They might not charge you for it directly, but it will certainly increase their lower limit, i.e. the lowest deal they'd accept. If you could pick it up yourself and negotiate with the other dealership directly, you'd have a better chance at getting lower payments.
Old 08-23-15 | 02:06 PM
Stevent
Driver

Trim: IS350 F-Sport
Type of Purchase (ToP)(Lease, Finance, traded-in): Finance
Color: Ultra White/ Rioja Red
Upgrades: F-Sport Package, Illuminated Door Sill, Navi/ Mark Levison, and PCS (and rear spoiler added after)
Price Paid: $48500 (OTD)

I picked up the car last Friday and very pleased overall. MSRP for the car was 49598 and initially dealer offered 53k OTD and was telling me he didn't want to waste my time and that was the BEST deal he has ever given anyone (yea.....right!). My response was if you don't want to waste time then give me the car for 47800 OTD and I will sign and be on our way. After talking about the price abit more he wouldn't budge below 51k OTD and would often try to change the negotiation to how much I want to pay monthly. I told him I will not pay 50k+ for this car when I know for a FACT that I can get well below 50k OTD and I would not budge. After a few more hours of bargaining (total of 7 hours) and a couple of attempts to walk out, we settled with $48,500 and an agreement that the dealer would order and install a spoiler for the car. I probably could have gotten a better deal once the 2016s start rolling on to the lot but I figured by then it would be nearly impossible to find the car in the color combo + the packages I wanted.

The only issue I had with this deal was the results from the spoiler installation. Spoiler had paint chipped in two places, there was a huge gap between the spoiler and trunk lid on one side, and it was not centered! The car was not washed at all and I could see the bits of metal in my trunk from the drilling. Originally the service manger tried to say I used cheap paint....only problem with that statement was that, the dealer ordered the spoiler and install it before I could even see or touched the spoiler! Well anyway they agreed to replace and reinstall the spoiler for me. I haven't decided if I wanted them to replace the truck lid as well seeing how they probably have to drill more holes into the trunk lid.

Other then that...I love the 350!
Old 08-23-15 | 02:50 PM
gmanusmc
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Stevent
Trim: IS350 F-Sport
Type of Purchase (ToP)(Lease, Finance, traded-in): Finance
Color: Ultra White/ Rioja Red
Upgrades: F-Sport Package, Illuminated Door Sill, Navi/ Mark Levison, and PCS (and rear spoiler added after)
Price Paid: $48500 (OTD)

I picked up the car last Friday and very pleased overall. MSRP for the car was 49598 and initially dealer offered 53k OTD and was telling me he didn't want to waste my time and that was the BEST deal he has ever given anyone (yea.....right!). My response was if you don't want to waste time then give me the car for 47800 OTD and I will sign and be on our way. After talking about the price abit more he wouldn't budge below 51k OTD and would often try to change the negotiation to how much I want to pay monthly. I told him I will not pay 50k+ for this car when I know for a FACT that I can get well below 50k OTD and I would not budge. After a few more hours of bargaining (total of 7 hours) and a couple of attempts to walk out, we settled with $48,500 and an agreement that the dealer would order and install a spoiler for the car. I probably could have gotten a better deal once the 2016s start rolling on to the lot but I figured by then it would be nearly impossible to find the car in the color combo + the packages I wanted.

The only issue I had with this deal was the results from the spoiler installation. Spoiler had paint chipped in two places, there was a huge gap between the spoiler and trunk lid on one side, and it was not centered! The car was not washed at all and I could see the bits of metal in my trunk from the drilling. Originally the service manger tried to say I used cheap paint....only problem with that statement was that, the dealer ordered the spoiler and install it before I could even see or touched the spoiler! Well anyway they agreed to replace and reinstall the spoiler for me. I haven't decided if I wanted them to replace the truck lid as well seeing how they probably have to drill more holes into the trunk lid.

Other then that...I love the 350!
Congrats and enjoy your new IS!

You might try online negotiation next time - especially in CA - I am fairly confident you will not be at the dealer for seven hours.
Old 08-23-15 | 03:04 PM
Stevent
Driver

Originally Posted by bgaerttner
Congrats and enjoy your new IS!

You might try online negotiation next time - especially in CA - I am fairly confident you will not be at the dealer for seven hours.
I did try to do it online...the dealer I went to just happened to be the only one that had the car in the combo (colors + packages) i wanted at the time and wouldn't budge below 50k as well..... figured I would try my luck in person just to see what happens with a different sales person. The other dealers either didnt have the car on the lot yet or didnt have the right combo. There was one other dealer that did have the car but they already had drilled holes for the license plate in the front bumper.
Old 08-23-15 | 03:25 PM
gmanusmc
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Stevent
I did try to do it online...the dealer I went to just happened to be the only one that had the car in the combo (colors + packages) i wanted at the time and wouldn't budge below 50k as well..... figured I would try my luck in person just to see what happens with a different sales person. The other dealers either didnt have the car on the lot yet or didnt have the right combo. There was one other dealer that did have the car but they already had drilled holes for the license plate in the front bumper.
It was worth the effort - you got yourself a great car at a nice price. I don't know what it is but it seems the deals were easier to come by last year.
Old 08-25-15 | 06:42 AM
Igor911
Driver

What kind of deals are folks currently getting on a fully loaded IS350 F-Sport AWD?

I looked at one with a $49,900 MSRP and the dealer was attempting to give me $4,500 off MSRP. Thinking to possibly lease as well...thoughts?
Old 08-25-15 | 07:28 AM
azmojo
Instructor

Originally Posted by Igor911
What kind of deals are folks currently getting on a fully loaded IS350 F-Sport AWD?

I looked at one with a $49,900 MSRP and the dealer was attempting to give me $4,500 off MSRP. Thinking to possibly lease as well...thoughts?
For that MSRP it doesn't sound like it is quite "fully" loaded but it is certainly well equipped.
With more details we could provide better info, but this basically sounds like they are offering your invoice pricing. Invoice pricing is decent but many on here are able to get several thousand below invoice in highly competitive markets. I am not as sure about MD, but you should be able to do better but you may need to get another dealer involved for them to compete against each other.
Old 08-25-15 | 09:10 AM
Igor911
Driver

Originally Posted by azmojo
For that MSRP it doesn't sound like it is quite "fully" loaded but it is certainly well equipped.
With more details we could provide better info, but this basically sounds like they are offering your invoice pricing. Invoice pricing is decent but many on here are able to get several thousand below invoice in highly competitive markets. I am not as sure about MD, but you should be able to do better but you may need to get another dealer involved for them to compete against each other.
The dealer is hesitant on texting me the exact pricing breakdown but I am still waiting, this is what I have so far:

MSRP: 49,990

0 down, 8 MSD's

$487 for 36 mos/12k
$557 for 24 mos/12k

I see some folks getting down to $400 or below... Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!
Old 08-25-15 | 10:31 AM
gmanusmc
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Igor911
The dealer is hesitant on texting me the exact pricing breakdown but I am still waiting, this is what I have so far:

MSRP: 49,990

0 down, 8 MSD's

$487 for 36 mos/12k
$557 for 24 mos/12k

I see some folks getting down to $400 or below... Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!
If they are an up front type dealer, there should be no hesitation in providing you detailed information. I tend to avoid evasive dealers. The figures they gave you are terrible - even without MSDs.

If you can get the msrp, selling price, residual value, lease length/mileage, and money factor, we can provide you some input on how to proceed.
Old 08-25-15 | 11:32 AM
josation
Driver School Candidate

Hi all,
I just got a great deal on a Lexus IS 250 F sport fully loaded. The Original MSRP was 46,500 but I was able to get it down to 43,500. My final monthly payment came out to $452 for 36 mos/12k. It was supposed to be $425 a month but I had some negative stuff on my credit. I din't put anything down and all TTL were included. If you live in New jersey, inbox me so I can tell you the dealer I went too and the person you need to talk to.

Quick Reply: Price Paid for an IS250/350?