IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Why did you choose an IS over a Q50?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-13, 05:38 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 156 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Ramon
So you think extending the steering rod out a few more inches is more expensive than redundant computers with all the programming that goes along with it and steering actuators and cameras that all work together? I'd love to know your basis for this assumption. It's very clear which car company is doing the bulk of the cost cutting, and charging for it.
sure... why not? Steer by wire is cheaper than doing it proper way... just like drive by wire and EPS is cheaper. Prius has had a lot of drive by wire stuff and it is not an expensive vehicle.

I cant believe someone is arguing for steer by wire in a sports sedan... thats pretty funny.

and yeah, we know which company is doing it - one that isnt releasing the car to the journalists? :-)
Old 07-11-13, 06:05 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
sure... why not? Steer by wire is cheaper than doing it proper way... just like drive by wire and EPS is cheaper. Prius has had a lot of drive by wire stuff and it is not an expensive vehicle.

I cant believe someone is arguing for steer by wire in a sports sedan... thats pretty funny.

and yeah, we know which company is doing it - one that isnt releasing the car to the journalists? :-)
You're confusing my recognition of triple redundant computer system incorporating cameras to monitor road conditions, as well as driver input and wheel angles to do their job via electronic actuators being more expensive than a longer steel rod, as arguing "for it." I'm not arguing for or against it. There's a lot more incorporated into the Q steering system than the IS has. Simple logic dictates it's a more expansive system, especially considering it's the first of it's kind and I'm simply taking recognition of that. I think the technology is intriguing, and I can certainly see where it would have it's benefits in terms of keeping the vehicle tracking in it's desired angle, but I can also see where it may be a step back in terms of road feel. Ultimately, it's a feature I would need to experience first hand before arguing "for it" or against it.

Everyone should be happy after spending this amount of money on a car, either car. I know you're buying the 3IS, so if telling yourself the company that offers a sports version of their vehicle with leather and all the options is the one cutting corners makes you happy, than that's what you should keep doing. I on the other hand who has not committed myself to any particular make/model will continue to look at the competition without bias.

As far as the journalist reviews, that is a little odd, and I wouldn't at all doubt that it's due to bugs in this new steering system. That doesn't mean they're cutting costs, that means the vehicle isn't ready. Which actually translates into more costs, (both in terms of lost sales and continued development) not less.
Old 07-11-13, 07:05 PM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

"means the vehicle isn't ready" -- and it may not be fully ready (optimized) for another generation. I'm into home theater stuff. I bought what was marketed as an elite reference Panasonic. Beyond reference -- state of the art tech -- but they forgot about or didn't factor fan noise into their design. Those TV's have been returned at such a rate and have been slow to sell because the negative word is out - BestBuy is discounting them 25% just to sell them -- less than a month after their heralded arrival.

I shiver when I remember all the things I've seen go wrong with 1st gen products with cutting edge tech or 1st to the market tech. Best to anyone who is willing to be the beta testers. No matter how good the service -- time can usually be spent in better ways than at the dealer.

Time will tell. Maybe Infiniti will nail it.
Old 07-11-13, 07:57 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

That's entirely possible, in fact, I'd be surprised if it was 100% the first model year. I bought my 2006 IS in late 2005 when everything on it was new. I went through more then my fair share of recalls and service bulletins. It wasn't so bad though because the service I get is pretty darn good. I just make the most of it and plan my road trips accordingly.
Old 11-06-13, 09:53 AM
jre002
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FYI.

Old 11-06-13, 11:47 AM
vbx
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
steering will probably be disaster - i dont think it will be buggy, they have sensors to stop that, but considering how much feeling was lost when going to EPS instead of Hydraulic, while EPS still has connection to the wheels, I cant imagine how will it feel without any connection.... well, I guess it will feel like Gen 2 Prius, just heavier.

As to interesting part - it adjusts the steering wheel ratio, not just how heavy it is, just like what VGRS does in Lexus... except that it is probably cheaper to do without real connection.
Agreed. Steer by wire is crap. Just like automatics are crap. To get the best driving experience, most enthusiast prefer manual cars. And there's a good reason. Better feel. Nothing can beat it.

I test drove the Q50 and was close to trading my 2014 IS350 FSport for it but the steer by wire is crap. It didn't feel safe at all. We had to adjust everything on the screen to get the feeling to be as "normal" as it can be.

Originally, it was set at a weird setting and it felt way off.

But the good news is, STW is only an option that cost more if you decide to add it. But that's because STW option includes a blind spot intervention option also.

If you look at the technology of the Adaptive Steering you can see that it cost a lot more than the direct linkage.

http://www.nissan-global.com/EN/TECH..._steering.html

Last edited by vbx; 11-06-13 at 12:04 PM.
Old 11-06-13, 12:50 PM
JGard18
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The dumbest part of the optioning on the Q50 is that if you want split folding rear seats (which is a must for me), you're forced into the steer-by-wire option as well as lane departure control and all that other gadgetry. I wanted NONE of that.

Also as for my reason to choose the IS over the Q. Way more fun to drive. It was night and day different to me. The Q50 just felt boring. Also, I've always hated how short the gearing in the Infiniti's has felt. My father in law's G37S 6-speed is ridiculous. 1st to 2nd gear shifts have to happen real early. Even in the Q50 which is an automatic, the shifts felt like they were very often and very dramatic. I know the IS 8-speed has short gearing as well, but it still just felt "better" than the Infiniti, and I have trouble properly describing why.

I really do like the styling of the Q50 inside and out. It's much more elegant looking, imo, than the IS. The IS is aggressive looking and personally that is what I prefer. Oh, and larger trunk in the IS, also key for me. No way I would have fit my hockey equipment in the trunk of the Q50

edit: jre002 that video ain't new
Old 11-06-13, 01:17 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,028 Posts

I only seriously looked at the IS350 and the 335i. I dismissed the Q50 because the styling does not appeal to me. In my opinion, it's too rounded, too Altima like, and just not to my tastes. I drove the 335 and it was a blast, but I had some quality/durability concerns and didn't like the run flat tires. It also got really expensive, really fast. For me, the IS350 has a younger, sharper look at appealed to me much more than either the Q50 or 335, and at the right price.

What I will say about the Q50 is that, much like the IS, it looks much, much better in real life than in pictures.
Old 11-06-13, 04:18 PM
lmsls
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by natnut
Here's an example of how half-baked Infiniti technology and implementation is :

The hybrid system in the M35h, lauded for being the fastest hybrid in the world is going to be in the new Q50.

There's a little shameful secret that Infiniti doesn't want the world to know :

Besides the fact that the GS450h spanks the M35h in real world fuel efficiency, the battery in the M35h OVERHEATS and the 0-60 slows down by as much as a second after a few acceleration runs.

I wouldn't be surprised if in the real world, after heavy track time, the GS450h hybrid overtakes the M35h in a timed endurance race. The Infiniti hybrid system seems to be all flash and bang to look good on paper but has no sustainable consistent performance.

My only hope is that Infiniti has worked out the shortcomings in the hybrid system before putting it into the new Q50 hybrid since I'm seriously considering the Q50 hybrid as a cheaper alternative to the GS450h.
This was on the first or second page so it might be irrelevant now, but I read it and just thought it was laughable. Now I'm not bagging on Lexus because it really is a magnificent machine, but do you really think the GS450h would sustain a significant charge after multiple 0-60 runs to maintain a consistent time??

A huge factor in terms of acceleration for these "performance hybrids" is the electric motor. In order for the electric motor to assist the gas engine it needs a charge. Now when you are running 0-60 time after time and not allowing the batteries to juice back up it's expected to clock a slower time. Additionally, when you are demanding that much energy from the batteries in a single episode this will cause them heat up.

I seriously doubt it's any different in the GS450h. Comparing the two on paper there is just no way the GS450h would be able to compete. Here's the facts:

Infiniti Q50s Hybrid -

Power: 360 System net power, 258 Lb-ft of Torque from the gas engine, 214 lb-ft from the motor
Curb Weight: 3,973 lbs
Transmission: 7 Speed Auto (which is superb now, finally)
0-60: 4.9 seconds

Lexus GS450h -

Power: 338 System net power, Torque figures aren't listed (the gas and electric motors power delivery is never simultaneous making it difficult for a real world figure)
Curb Weight: 4,190 lbs
Transmission: E-CVT (If anything is going to overheat on a track it's going to be the trans)
0-60: 6.0 seconds (real world, despite the claims)

The ONE reason I wouldn't buy the GS450h is the CVT transmission. A performance car with a CVT just doesn't work. The godly noises it must make......

By the way, I own both a 2014 IS 250 F-Sport and a 2011 Infiniti G37s. Love the Lexus, and love the Infiniti.

Off the Infiniti Lexus Hybrid debate,

If I was looking for a straight line performer, though, IS 350 F-Sport vs Q50s, the Infiniti would win because It stomps on the Lexus all day long. Believe me, I drove both models back to back multiple times before I decided on my 250 F-Sport (don't ask).

Last edited by lmsls; 11-06-13 at 04:28 PM.
Old 11-06-13, 04:24 PM
lmsls
Driver School Candidate

By the way, I have yet to see this mentioned, but does anybody realize that the Q50 has the ability to completely drive itself in certain conditions?? That's a pretty big deal being it's the only car in its class to do so, and one of the first of and few that have the ability. Pretty impressive if you ask me.
Just thought I'd point that out.
Old 11-06-13, 05:02 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

^^^ lmsls, don't downplay your own 250 F-Sport. It's a great car for all the reasons we've listed ad nauseum in this forum. As for the Q, it is a great car and I agree on the tech front where it exceeds the IS's offerings, but what fun is it in driving a car if it can almost drive itself? Perhaps a bigger discussion here at hand, but I realize my kids in 10-15 years from now and especially their kids may never get to experience the thrill of driving at the rate manufacturers are introducing and government allowing these technologies. What a shame.
Old 11-06-13, 06:28 PM
vbx
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lmsls
By the way, I have yet to see this mentioned, but does anybody realize that the Q50 has the ability to completely drive itself in certain conditions?? That's a pretty big deal being it's the only car in its class to do so, and one of the first of and few that have the ability. Pretty impressive if you ask me.
Also, if you **** the Govt off, they'll hack into your car, take control of it, make you crash into a pole. Just like that Mercedes who had the journalist driving it.
Old 11-06-13, 09:51 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by lmsls
And their forum is filled with complaints and issues with it. From driving itself to applying brakes to turning off etc etc

It's not at all well executed and the market wants drivers cars not driverless cars

Old 11-07-13, 07:47 AM
lmsls
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LexFather
And their forum is filled with complaints and issues with it. From driving itself to applying brakes to turning off etc etc

It's not at all well executed and the market wants drivers cars not driverless cars

True, it does have its issues, but tell me what car doesn't during it's first generation. It's inevitable there will be some problems to work out, however that doesn't mean it isn't a cool technology to have at your finger tips, just needs to be perfected which I'm sure is on the way. I wouldn't really say it's dampening the drivers experience, the car still accelerates and handles very well despite the tech offerings. It's your choice if you want to use it or not..

I'd say people that want an actual drivers car belong to small niche. At the same time, were talking about sport luxury sedans here. Practicality with a taste of Ferrari is everything in this market these days.

I'm not at all downplaying my 250 F-Sport. I bought it for a reason and have no regrets. I love my car. Just saying, the Q isn't a bad option either. It seems like a lot of people here are biased towards owning one when most have probably never been behind the wheel. Basing your opinion all on reviews or what you read on a forum isn't the way to go, IMO.

To each their own..
Old 11-07-13, 04:47 PM
UncleSpud
Pole Position

To answer the op's question; steering, ride, transmission, and handling. To be fair, I tested a Q50 without the drive-by-wire steering, and without the sport suspension. Even with 17" wheels, the Q rode like a conestoga wagon (maybe it was the run-flats). The Infiniti's hydraulic steering rack (available on lower-tech, less-optioned Q50 models), it didn't feel as stable or as accurate (IMO) as the Lexus EPS. The Q's steering felt a whole lot better than the 328i though.

Quick Reply: Why did you choose an IS over a Q50?