IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Why did you choose an IS over a Q50?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-13, 06:17 PM
BOBFSPORT
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can't get the IS 350 F Sport at or below invoice ? Pretty sure atleast 20 members on here including me paid at or below invoice.
Old 12-13-13, 06:29 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
As echoed above, here's one serious reason NOT to get the Q50S with the direct adaptive steering (DAS). Several recent complaints already on steering lockup and unresponsiveness. This is scary:

http://www.infinitiq50.org/forum/pro...aution-23.html
Problem is Infiniti bundles certain features with DAS so you're forced

granted they aren't the only manufacturer that does this
Old 12-13-13, 06:51 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Problem is Infiniti bundles certain features with DAS so you're forced

granted they aren't the only manufacturer that does this
Not sure about the US, but in Canada, only the Q50s AWD version does not come standard with the DAS (when referring to the "s" model). The Q50s RWD does have DAS standard which I'd avoid at all costs solely because of this scary safety issue. In fact, if you read some of the posts, a couple of owners claim they were given the option to get their cars bought back or get a new one from Infiniti if the issue returns. This would suggest Infiniti wants to keep this low key, avoid customer escalation and subsequent law suit.
Old 12-14-13, 04:18 PM
Slust
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've always been enthralled with the G series line. Solid cars and very fun to drive. Infinity definitely wins for straight line speed.

I'm not a fan of the Q50's styling though. I know a lot love it but the frontal lines and headlights give it that droopy look to me. Not sinister, just bummed out look. Sounds silly I know but that's how it looks to me. The front is definitely aggressive on the Q50 but the back looks like an afterthought ...just like my old 2IS did. That always bugged me about my 2IS, was the backend ...especially since I always back into my garage. On the flip side I absolutely hated the 3IS when I first saw it pictures. The grill just screamed trying too hard. Since seeing it in person it's not only grown on me but I actually like that aggressive styling now. The nike swoosh is right down my alley too and I like the L shaped tail lights. The back end looks a little too much like they wanted to copy the 3 series but at least it still looks nice ...though the bumper could go on a diet.

The Q50 wants to be the tech juggernaut but its center instrument cluster (two nav screens, wheel, buttons) seemed to lack good design. The wheel seems to have limited use. You needed to use both the buttons and the touch screen to accomplish simple tasks. Since you need all 3 to work your system it seemed more compartmentalized than synergistic. It was nice seeing the wood trim again since Lexus seems to have left that in the dust, but as much as I bag on BMW's interior compared to both of these cars the wood trim in the BMW is far superior so I couldn't go gaga over the Infiniti's wood trim. The trim on the steering wheel buttons in the Q50 is nice but that shine fades quickly when you look past the steering wheel and see the LFA-like gauges in the Lexus. Seems like everyone loves the Q50's interior (and it was very nice) but it didn't wow me. It was nice. It was nicer than BMW (not hard) and Audi but I personally wouldn't use that as selling point for the Q50 over the Lexus.

For me the Q50 fell into that hard to tell what it is going for region. It's not the straight line winner as I would give that to BMW and Audi. It's not the best at handling, I'd give that to Lexus oddly. It's my least favorite in styling. For me it's best categories were interior and value for your money. The interior was about on par with the Lexus. The Q50 has the two cool nav screens. The Lexus has the bad *** LFA gauge cluster that has definite wow factor. They each have their good things and nit picks, then go pretty much tit for tat after that because overall they're both solid. For me I ranked the Lexus interior better because I loved the way the seats felt and loved the overall cockpit feel, but I could easily see someone picking the Q50 as their home because both are awesome and so close. Both cars offer great value for your money - both around mid $40k cars for great options.

The weakest point about the Lexus is its straight line speed, but outside of that it either won or came in 2nd in other categories. So for me it was the best all around option.
Old 12-14-13, 07:29 PM
akshunj
Pit Crew

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I initially went to Infiniti looking to order a G37xS and was disappointed when I discovered the Q50 replaced it. I still don't like the styling of the Q. I love the motor though.
Old 12-15-13, 06:51 PM
chris2k5
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A friend has the IS350 F-Sport AWD and I have the Q50S Hybrid AWD. We swapped cars for 2 weeks and here is what I found.

Q50 just blows the IS out if the water in terms of speed.
Q50 interior quality is better. IS interior has a lot of cheapened plastics. The ergonomics are off on the IS too.

Technology isn't as good on the IS and you compromise so much with the IS if you get F Sport.

I am happy I didn't go with the IS350 because I feel it is a $40k car while the Q50 feels more $55k.
Old 12-15-13, 07:02 PM
doodlebug
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by chris2k5
A friend has the IS350 F-Sport AWD and I have the Q50S Hybrid AWD. We swapped cars for 2 weeks and here is what I found.

Q50 just blows the IS out if the water in terms of speed.
Q50 interior quality is better. IS interior has a lot of cheapened plastics. The ergonomics are off on the IS too.

Technology isn't as good on the IS and you compromise so much with the IS if you get F Sport.

I am happy I didn't go with the IS350 because I feel it is a $40k car while the Q50 feels more $55k.
So, what did your friend say about the Q? Does he agree with you?
Old 12-15-13, 07:11 PM
chris2k5
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by doodlebug
So, what did your friend say about the Q? Does he agree with you?
He was shocked at how top notch the Q50 was in terms of materials and interior design/quality. He was happy not having a huge AWD next to his gas pedal too.

He prefers the smaller size of the IS.
Old 12-15-13, 07:18 PM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts

And probably the better handling/driving feel of the IS as well.
Old 12-15-13, 08:34 PM
chris2k5
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by natnut
And probably the better handling/driving feel of the IS as well.
He didn't mention it. So I assume it is a push. The Q50 is better performer in my opinion.
Old 12-15-13, 09:18 PM
Celsius
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by doctorttt
For me, I'm very picky on the design of a car. IMO, the Q50's exterior design is just not my taste - it just doesn't look *mean* and sporty to me, from every angle. (FYI - I'm in my early 30's.) On the other hand, the IS F-Sport makes me feel good.

As for the interior of the IS, I'm attracted by the design of the central console for which the display and temperature controls are separated by the middle deck containing the analog clock and vents. Overall, I just think that the whole thing looks clean. Also, I'm very a*n*a*l about the design and shape of the shift **** and stick - I'm a detail freak. Just go do a picture comparison of both cars.

Lastly, of course, the LFA gauge - I love it.
+1, also I think Lexus is just a better company....until Infiniti brings out their "luxury GTR" (Emerge-E)
Old 12-15-13, 11:01 PM
IS350S2K
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I just preferred the overall design of the IS over the Q. The Q was never in consideration for me. My shortlist at the time included Audi S5, TTS/RS, e92 M3, CLA250 and S3 sedan (late additioms after ordering car).

Old 12-16-13, 12:20 AM
oghowie
Driver School Candidate

I currently have the g37 and the q50 just doesn't feel fresh enough to me. The is feels young while the q interior feels like something for 40 year olds and up. I think it was really the LFA instrument cluster that sold me though.
Old 12-16-13, 07:13 AM
chris2k5
Pit Crew

I was more disappointed that the IS has very questionable interior materials. Some of the surfaces felt like they came straight out of the Corolla parts bin.
Old 12-16-13, 07:40 AM
wednesday
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I don't care how great the Q50 or it's interior might be, I find it to be an extremely unattractive (and at certain angles bland) car and would never consider it. The IS looks so much better! The direction that Infinity has decided to go with it's styling is unfortunate because I used to love the G coupes although I have never liked the sedans, I have always found them bland so I guess that much hasn't really changed.

Quick Reply: Why did you choose an IS over a Q50?