IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

My $3.00 3IS Cell Phone Holder

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-13, 05:41 AM
gocubs08
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking My $3.00 3IS Cell Phone Holder

So After owning this car for 3 weeks I still could not find a great spot for my iphone. I like to be able to see the screen of my phone and not have to pick it up to see who is texting me or email notifications. The seats are so low that even laying it on the passenger seat was a pain to reach over and grab it.
So basically the phone has been on my lap most of the time which I dont like.
I have a hard case on my phone so I was concerned with scratching the dash up if I was to put it anywhere in plain sight.
I just moved in a new house so I noticed my wife cutting this black shelving liner for a drawer when I had the idea to use it for my phone. Its super soft, and anything placed on it is locked into place and will not slide! I just cut a piece out to fit and now I have a perfect spot to lay my phone and not scratch up the dash! It covers the seat heater buttons but who needs those this time of year. The best thing is you can slightly see through it and if you need to push a button you still can. Plus its simple to remove in a second if you dont want to be "embarrassed" when friends are with you. But honestly it looks pretty good. It matches well with the design and looks better in person than this pic!

Anyways, thought I would share!

Old 07-18-13, 05:49 AM
F350
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome dude, cool share ! Used that as well in my other cars and it holds stuff pretty well even when doing sharp turns and sudden stops
Old 07-18-13, 08:36 AM
kabgolf1
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gocubs08
So After owning this car for 3 weeks I still could not find a great spot for my iphone. I like to be able to see the screen of my phone and not have to pick it up to see who is texting me or email notifications. The seats are so low that even laying it on the passenger seat was a pain to reach over and grab it.
So basically the phone has been on my lap most of the time which I dont like.
I have a hard case on my phone so I was concerned with scratching the dash up if I was to put it anywhere in plain sight.
I just moved in a new house so I noticed my wife cutting this black shelving liner for a drawer when I had the idea to use it for my phone. Its super soft, and anything placed on it is locked into place and will not slide! I just cut a piece out to fit and now I have a perfect spot to lay my phone and not scratch up the dash! It covers the seat heater buttons but who needs those this time of year. The best thing is you can slightly see through it and if you need to push a button you still can. Plus its simple to remove in a second if you dont want to be "embarrassed" when friends are with you. But honestly it looks pretty good. It matches well with the design and looks better in person than this pic!

Anyways, thought I would share!

That is a good idea but when you link your phone via Bluetooth, the notifications should appear on screen eliminating the need for looking at the phone. It does depend on the phone and your carrier but Lexus has a website that displays the level of compatibility with all phones and carriers. http://www.lexus.com/MobileLink
Old 07-18-13, 07:06 PM
gocubs08
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

text messages?? Really? What screen or Nav option is that on?
Old 07-18-13, 08:21 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

Great idea and looks pretty good!
Old 07-19-13, 03:08 AM
kabgolf1
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by gocubs08
text messages?? Really? What screen or Nav option is that on?
The Lexus site shows all of the various capabilities by phone, service carrier, nav or non-nav, etc. for what the system is capable of doing. I do not know exactly what screen as i have not received my car yet to play with it. The site even shows that some phones can send text messages through the vehicle system. Here is the list of Messaging features for the Lexus multimedia system. There are also lists for phone call capabilities and media streaming.

Multimedia system displays notification for incoming text message.
Multimedia system displays text message list.
Multimedia system displays text message.
Multimedia system sends text message successfully.
Multimedia system displays incoming TEXT message notification while call is in progress.
Multimedia system displays incoming TEXT message notification while music is streaming.
Multimedia system successfully calls the number of the sender of a text message.
Old 07-19-13, 05:38 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by kabgolf1
The Lexus site shows all of the various capabilities by phone, service carrier, nav or non-nav, etc. for what the system is capable of doing. I do not know exactly what screen as i have not received my car yet to play with it. The site even shows that some phones can send text messages through the vehicle system. Here is the list of Messaging features for the Lexus multimedia system. There are also lists for phone call capabilities and media streaming.

Multimedia system displays incoming TEXT message notification while call is in progress.
Multimedia system displays incoming TEXT message notification while music is streaming.
Multimedia system successfully calls the number of the sender of a text message.
Sounds very similar to the '13 RX system and if so, in addition to the display, a female voice (like the NAV voice) comes on stating "you have an incoming message". You can then have her display and read it, and you can reply back but only using pre-determined acknowledgment-type phrases or dismissal ones like "I'm driving now, will get back to you later". All in all, works very well and I like it since I have SMS reminders for appointments from my Android phone...
Old 07-19-13, 03:02 PM
kabgolf1
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Sounds very similar to the '13 RX system and if so, in addition to the display, a female voice (like the NAV voice) comes on stating "you have an incoming message". You can then have her display and read it, and you can reply back but only using pre-determined acknowledgment-type phrases or dismissal ones like "I'm driving now, will get back to you later". All in all, works very well and I like it since I have SMS reminders for appointments from my Android phone...
I cannot wait to check it out live and in person.
Old 07-21-13, 09:24 PM
jagged
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kabgolf1
The Lexus site shows all of the various capabilities by phone, service carrier, nav or non-nav, etc. for what the system is capable of doing.

Hmm... I had no idea that the system can display text messages as there's no option for it in my 3IS.

Can anyone share a screen shot of the text message function?
Old 07-22-13, 03:39 AM
kabgolf1
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jagged
Hmm... I had no idea that the system can display text messages as there's no option for it in my 3IS.

Can anyone share a screen shot of the text message function?
I do not believe that it is a setting. Per the Mobile Link site from Lexus, it appears that if your phone is compatible to do so, the alerts automatically happen once the phone is paired via Bluetooth. I am not sure how it displays on screen either.