IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Saw the new IS Today - a GS350 is in my future

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-13, 09:54 PM
Dustin2011
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Saw the new IS Today - a GS350 is in my future

I went and viewed the new IS today. Lexus has nailed the exterior (IMHO). The F-Sport is aggressive and very sporty. Even the stock F-Sport wheels are great. The front end is simply amazing.

Exterior =

Then I sat in the F-sport. What a disappointment. The buttons on the steering wheel stick out like it is the first time a car manufacturer ever placed buttons on the steering wheel. Very unrefined.

The cup holders are in a terrible spot. My wife noticed that as she sat in the passengers seat, if she wanted to place her left arm on the center console arm rest, it would land right where the two cup holders are. Very uncomfortable when there are no cups, and impossible if there was one or two cups in the holders.

The Nav screen looks a bit off as it does not fill up the space provided.

The interior is not all bad. The materials used don't look/feel as "cheap" in real life as the pictures make it out to be. there is definitely more room for the back passengers. The F-Sport seats are very comfortable. The F-Sport digital gauge display totally rocks.

With the Nav screen size, location of the cup holders, non-availability of ventilated seats, steering wheel, and just the overall look of the center stack - this makes the itnerior for me.

I will be passing on the IS350 F-Sport and moving to the GS350 F-Sport.

Again - this is simply my opinion and I still think anyone who purchased the new IS has a great value and great looking vehicle.
Old 07-20-13, 10:32 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

I'm in full agreement with you on all points. I'm holding out for the 3.5 engine replacement before making a final decision between a GS F-Sport or IS F-Sport. If with the new engine, also comes some additional options that I want and are currently missing from the IS F-Sport, that's what I'll likely get. If not, the GS is in my future.
Old 07-21-13, 03:21 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

Dustion2011: You have valid points especially the Nav screen size, and cup holders. I have a feeling a future mid-cycle refresh will house an 8 inch screen since the physical surround has the space for it. For me, these were not deal breakers as it fits my budget and expectation for a $40K+ car.

Good choice to at least stick with Lexus and move up the food chain with the 60K 4GS F-Sport. No one can ever criticize the 4GS from a quality and performance aspect. It's a beautiful car.
Old 07-21-13, 07:42 AM
mush
Pole Position

Lcd Screens are cheap. Lexus should have filled in the gap for the IS and ES. Makes that area so cheap looking
Old 07-21-13, 07:45 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

well theres a reason why the GS starts 11k more than the IS
Old 07-21-13, 10:40 AM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
well theres a reason why the GS starts 11k more than the IS
This is true, there is, but some of the complaints mentioned arent really one of them. Steering wheel buttons for example, its more of a poor design choice than anything, even in a slightly lower priced 2IS, they look and feel higher quality. The nav screen is another, the cost difference would be very minimal. Then there's the fact that many options are actually available. Just not in the US.
Old 07-21-13, 02:03 PM
Dustin2011
Pole Position

The GS 350 F-Sport has some pretty amazing deals right now. I have quotes for F-Sport with the following:
Blind Spot
Intuitive Park Assist
Cargo Net
Carpet trunk mat
Wheel locks
Illuminated door sills

MSRP of $58,617

Dealer quote of $52,200

Lease special will take another $2500 off that price and LFS will make my first month payment. Those prices and incentives bring the GS much closer to a comparable IS-350 F-Sport...

The IS does look more sporty than then GS, but the GS is more luxurious then then IS. (IMHO)
Old 07-21-13, 02:56 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,490 Likes on 1,793 Posts

I find it very odd that an owner of 2IS is criticizing the 3IS interior as being "subpar" when the 3IS interior is light years ahead of the 2IS in every way shape or form. Fit, finish, quality, materials, amenities.

I sat in both an IS-F and IS350 F-sport and simply put the IS350 F-sport simply eclipsed that of the IS-F in every way and make it look cheap and extremely dated.
Old 07-21-13, 02:59 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

well obviously a 2013 blowout GS would be a better deal than the high demand full price 2014 IS. Wait until the 2014 GS comes out and the demand for the IS settles down to better compare it
Old 07-21-13, 03:10 PM
RDUIS350
Driver School Candidate

As someone who has had a 3IS IS350 F-Sport (RWD w/ ML system) for a week now (after upgrading from a '12 2IS IS350 with F-Sport exhaust, sway bars, and intake), I can say that I've had some of the same concerns as I've been getting used to the car. I've also received a GS350 as a loaner a couple times so I know how that car is laid out. I can say that I'm having a blast driving the 3IS and I get why they made the design choices they did. Here's my take (not speaking for the designers, just my thoughts):

Nav screen size - The main goal with this nav is to limit distractions and improve readability. The IS has a slick new nav layout that allows you to put all basic information on the screen at once. The nav has black space on either side to limit reflections and provide a visual buffer that directs your eye to the screen. If you sit in the 3IS for a bit, you'll notice that there's also an angled lip below the screen and a bit of an overhang. So far, I have not had any washout when trying to read the screen, even with the sunroof open. In the 2IS, the nav had awful glare problems on bright days.

location of the cup holders - this car is all about driver engagement and fun FOR THE DRIVER. I let my cousin drive the car for a couple hours yesterday on a day trip and I didn't have any problem with the cup holders or arm resting on the center console, but the GS is much more of a passenger/family-friendly car for sure. I didn't get this car for the sake of my passengers though. I'm glad they added more rear legroom, however, so passengers can be more comfortable when I drive coworkers to lunch and stuff. I'm still having trouble with losing the change holder/ash tray, but cup holders are not meant to be the primary focus during back road driving. Cup holders are there (and I'm glad both are outside the actual console now), but the designers were more concerned about easy access to the drive mode **** and nav control so they made a compromise. Not sure it was the best placement, but the new stack arrangement didn't leave them with too many options

non-availability of ventilated seats - I don't like this one either, but it might have something to do with the synthetic "NuLuxe" material they use instead of leather in the F Sport, or it's possible that the bean counters made them choose whether to offer adjustable suspension or ventilated seats and they chose suspension. Not sure why, but the dealer gave me free window tinting so I don't miss it too much so far, even in 95 degree NC heat.

steering wheel - this is about driver engagement as well. The raised buttons make it easy to pick out the button you want without thinking about it too much. Not that you had to think about it much before, but there's a lot of stuff going on now with the additional controls for the gauge cluster and I'm glad they did it the way they did

just the overall look of the center stack - The F Sport wraps around you like a sports sedan should and makes all controls accessible without looking down from the road for more than a second or two. To me, it looks like a simplified jet fighter or something, and I'm very glad they raised the important climate controls to an easily accessible level. My main complaint with the center stack is that there's no digital clock...anywhere. My car is the only place I read an analog clock. Kind of weird.

As you can tell, I'm a bit of Lexus fanboy (I've leased two 2IS models and now a 3IS), so take my opinions with a grain of salt, but those are my thoughts.
Old 07-21-13, 05:25 PM
IanP
Rookie

Great response.

The GS is the most comfortable family car I've ever sat in.

But that's not the aim of the IS. It's meant to be the best car you've ever driven...
Old 07-21-13, 05:48 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Agreed the F-Sport exterior looks great, but the interior packaging no leather/ventilation/memory seats even as an option on F-Sport is a deal breaker. And while some materials are "ok" expanses of cheap plastic have me looking else where. Where the plastic bezels are on the steering wheel controls are some of the worst i've seen to look and touch. And yes the Navi screen is pathetically small. Lexus messed up big time in my book. Yes they nailed the "fun to drive" they were chasing but gave up what makes Lexus a Lexus with plush materials and feature content.

Once the GS gets the full spindle and a 8-speed it's the one in my book.
Old 07-21-13, 05:57 PM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I think RDUIS350 sums it up -- it's unlike other Lexus cars in that it is designed to be a drivers car first and foremost.

"Lexus' desire for a more emotional product has its genesis in the appointment of Akio Toyoda as company president in early 2009. Toyoda is a member of the company's founding family and is known throughout the automotive world as a gearhead himself, having raced the Lexus LFA supercar at the 24 Hours of Nurburgring.

It was Toyoda who immediately pushed Lexus to build cars that stir drivers' emotions, said Mark Templin, the global executive vice president for Lexus. "He looks to us to be a change agent," Templin said of his boss.

Toyoda's influence shook up the subdued corporate culture at Lexus, Templin said. "We're taking ourselves a little less seriously and having more fun."

The LA Times - http://www.latimes.com/business/auto...,2662890.story

By the way -- the Q50 does not offer ventilated seats either. The GS is very nice but in my test drive I was not all that impressed with the 6 banger in it -- same one in the IS I believe but the added weight made the car seem slow. I can't see that car as being much fun unless they give it another power plant. Just my .02. What do I know? I've only owned Acuras and a Genesis and find the IS interior a very nice place to spend my time. In regards to the lack of leather -- I say good riddance . I for one never found leather to be grippy enough when doing spirited driving nor do I think it looks very good after a year or so -- stained wrinkled and stretched and it's given to do.

Last edited by Glashub; 07-21-13 at 06:05 PM.
Old 07-21-13, 09:00 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

I agree with those the comments of the cheap-ish interior of the 3IS. I'm not very excited with the exterior either. The jump from the original IS to the 2IS was much more significant IMO (I had both), and didn't take 7 years. Materials should be what they're intended to look like (sadly virtually every surface in the 3IS looks and feels and is made plastic or synthetic, sans leather upgrade).
Old 07-21-13, 09:06 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 270 Likes on 217 Posts

I don't get where cheap interior you guys are referring. It looks way more luxurious than 2IS.

Quick Reply: Saw the new IS Today - a GS350 is in my future