IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models
Old 12-16-14, 11:38 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Lexus IS Lighting Guides
Print Wikipost

>>> LED & HID Lighting Upgrades >>> (with comparison photos)

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-13, 10:31 AM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteISWay
Here are some more comparison pics. These lights are a lot brighter than stock.Attachment 294448

Attachment 294449

Attachment 294450

Attachment 294451

The footwell is K-Spec 6 LED

The courtesy is K-Spec 9 LED.

I have yet to get pics of the reverse light and still need to install the passenger side. Am worried to install the trunk light since someone broke their's and I couldn't pry it open easily.

Will post more pics when I get them.

Great looking! These are must have and they are the most straightforward lights to change in the IS. Another thing to consider is the light under the side mirror. It also makes the same visual difference as the door courtesy light.

If Lexus has followed the same pattern as in 2IS, the reverse lights should not be difficult to change in the 3IS. You just need the right tool to unplug the plastic clips one by one to access the area. I have changed mine in 2IS and I find it useful for parking with a back wall. Literally you can see the two white spots on the wall. Of course, you don't need this aid when you have the back up camera.
Old 08-16-13, 07:38 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by IS300H744
http://minkara.carview.co.jp/userid/...blog/30468429/

Here is the trunk light!

It is very tight and easy to break it(see photos in above link). That is why this Japanese LED seller provide the whole replacement trunk light set.

I did break mine and have to buy a new one (clear body only) from Sewell (usd14)
It looks like I'm another victim of this. Just broke the same tab while trying to remove the housing. Fortunately it's a cheap part available at Toyota dealer.
Old 08-17-13, 06:25 AM
WhiteISWay
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AndyL
Great looking! These are must have and they are the most straightforward lights to change in the IS. Another thing to consider is the light under the side mirror. It also makes the same visual difference as the door courtesy light.

If Lexus has followed the same pattern as in 2IS, the reverse lights should not be difficult to change in the 3IS. You just need the right tool to unplug the plastic clips one by one to access the area. I have changed mine in 2IS and I find it useful for parking with a back wall. Literally you can see the two white spots on the wall. Of course, you don't need this aid when you have the back up camera.
I'm waiting for someone to put a write up on the mirror lights. I saw the 2IS write up, but I'm not comfortable with opening up my mirrors without detailed instructions.
Old 08-17-13, 03:27 PM
EFanucci
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What tools does everyone use to remove the housings? I don't want to scratch anything and would like to find something that doesn't cost as much as the tools on Sewell.
Old 08-17-13, 04:22 PM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by EFanucci
What tools does everyone use to remove the housings? I don't want to scratch anything and would like to find something that doesn't cost as much as the tools on Sewell.
Based on my experience with 2IS and current RX, I would make sure the mirror housing and the doors are washed and cleaned prior to the mod. Then wear latex gloves and once the screws are removed, use your gloved hands to pry the housing.

The closest side mirror should be the one from CT. There is a thread here that shows the step by step pictures. Do a search.

The first step for taking the mirror housing apart is tilt the mirrors all the way up to release the mirror piece from the housing. Just be careful because there is still some thin wires attached to the mirror piece, as well as some glue stuff.
Old 08-17-13, 06:19 PM
EFanucci
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the info. What about the regular inside lights? Can most of those housing be popped off with a credit card or some small plastic tool?
Old 08-17-13, 06:21 PM
EFanucci
Driver School Candidate

Those are bright. Thanks for the pics!

Here are some more comparison pics. These lights are a lot brighter than stock.Attachment 294448

Attachment 294449

Attachment 294450

Attachment 294451

The footwell is K-Spec 6 LED

The courtesy is K-Spec 9 LED.

I have yet to get pics of the reverse light and still need to install the passenger side. Am worried to install the trunk light since someone broke their's and I couldn't pry it open easily.

Will post more pics when I get them.
Old 08-17-13, 08:41 PM
WhiteISWay
Rookie

Originally Posted by EFanucci
Thanks for the info. What about the regular inside lights? Can most of those housing be popped off with a credit card or some small plastic tool?
I used a thin flat screwdriver and wrapped it in a thin cloth. the housings pop off pretty easily.
Old 08-17-13, 10:18 PM
EFanucci
Driver School Candidate

Thank you!

I used a thin flat screwdriver and wrapped it in a thin cloth. the housings pop off pretty easily.
Old 08-18-13, 01:37 AM
magne
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Instead of taking the chance of scratching or braking something with a screwdriver, I ordered a set of nylon prybar tools. I used similar to these when I worked as a mechanic some years ago, and they are great. Makes it impossible to scratch anything.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/9-PC-NYLON-PRY-BAR-SET-DASH-PANEL-TRIM-REMOVAL-TOOL-KIT-INSTALLER-MUST-HAVE-/271250428832?pt=Motors_Automotive_Tools&hash=item3f27c913a0&vxp=mtr
Old 08-18-13, 06:49 AM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by magne
Instead of taking the chance of scratching or braking something with a screwdriver, I ordered a set of nylon prybar tools. I used similar to these when I worked as a mechanic some years ago, and they are great. Makes it impossible to scratch anything.

Video Link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/9-PC-NYLON-PRY-BAR-SET-DASH-PANEL-TRIM-REMOVAL-TOOL-KIT-INSTALLER-MUST-HAVE-/271250428832?pt=Motors_Automotive_Tools&hash=item3f27c913a0&vxp=mtr
Thanks Magne. I have some prying tools from Sewell but the one you listed is the most comprehensive I have ever seen and the price is much better.
Old 08-19-13, 04:18 AM
kabgolf1
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AndyL
Thanks Magne. I have some prying tools from Sewell but the one you listed is the most comprehensive I have ever seen and the price is much better.
These tools can also be bought at Harbor Freight Tools, if you have a location near you. The prices are really good as well.
Old 08-20-13, 08:25 PM
WhiteISWay
Rookie

Here are the passenger side if anyone is curious. Pics taken from HTC One Phone>>> LED & HID Lighting Upgrades >>> (with comparison photos)-courtesy-passenger-oem.jpg

>>> LED & HID Lighting Upgrades >>> (with comparison photos)-courtesy-passenger-led.jpg

>>> LED & HID Lighting Upgrades >>> (with comparison photos)-footwell-passenger-oem.jpg

>>> LED & HID Lighting Upgrades >>> (with comparison photos)-footwell-passenger-led.jpg
Old 08-20-13, 08:29 PM
HIDPH
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for sharing the photos =)
Old 08-21-13, 06:31 PM
EFanucci
Driver School Candidate

Most of the packages on the HID PowerHouse website have different type of LED's for the Dome and Map lights. Does anyone have any pictures or can someone tell me if when they are both on together if they look different or does it look good? Thanks.

Quick Reply: >>> LED & HID Lighting Upgrades >>> (with comparison photos)