IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

My review of the 2014 Lexus IS350 F-Sport (short test drive)

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-13, 08:59 PM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts

You should see USB ( Ultrasonic Blue) on an IS F-Sport.

Truly stunning :

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...algary-ab.html
Old 08-02-13, 09:54 PM
SimTide985
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No, I've seen it.

Is it a color not being sold in America?
Old 08-02-13, 11:11 PM
natnut
Pole Position

USB is currently not available for the 3rd gen IS in the US.
Old 08-03-13, 02:52 AM
SimTide985
Driver

Originally Posted by natnut
USB is currently not available for the 3rd gen IS in the US.
Ummm, why?
Old 08-03-13, 03:02 AM
natnut
Pole Position

That's a question being asked by almost all the US members on this forum

It boggles my mind too since I saw it up close in my home country of Singapore and it's achingly beautiful ( IMO) :

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/8015778-post263.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/8015780-post264.html
Old 08-03-13, 03:51 AM
Alius
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm willing to bet Lexus will release USB for the US for the later year models, maybe as early as next year. There's no real reason NOT to release USB in the States when so many want it.
Old 08-03-13, 08:02 AM
jmac350
Driver School Candidate

Good review. I have driven the new F-Sport as well and would agree with most of what you said. It definitely handles better than my 08 IS350. The 8 speed transmission is real nice. rev matching downshifts, quick upshifts. I would use the paddles more with this transmission than I currently do in my car. My only issue is they have taken away some options that may not be deal breakers, but you notice they are not there. Memory seats are important, and would settle if only the driver's seat had it, but the premium F-Sport doesn't offer it. Tilt mirrors when in reverse. I noticed that was missing when I was backing the demo car back in the lot. I couldn't see the curb out the passenger side. My car has it and it is huge benefit when parking on the street or by any curb. Yes, I could manually move the mirror, but is this not a luxury sport sedan? My brothers Dodge pickup has that feature.... My feeling is that you will see these options being sprinkled in over the next 5 years. The question for me is can I be patient and wait a year or two?? My track record says if will be difficult and will have to give in and get a Ultra White F-Sport with the premium package and suck it up about the little creature comforts I am missing. Decisions, decisions.
Old 08-03-13, 10:44 AM
SimTide985
Driver

Originally Posted by jmac350
Tilt mirrors when in reverse. I noticed that was missing when I was backing the demo car back in the lot. I couldn't see the curb out the passenger side. My car has it and it is huge benefit when parking on the street or by any curb. Yes, I could manually move the mirror, but is this not a luxury sport sedan? My brothers Dodge pickup has that feature..
What exactly is a tilt mirror? I'm not even sure what that is....

Last edited by SimTide985; 08-03-13 at 10:53 AM.
Old 08-03-13, 10:50 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,703 Likes on 1,937 Posts

When you put the car in reverse the mirrors tilt down to help you more easily see the curb. Are you sure the IS doesn't have this and the one you drove just didn't have it turned on?
Old 08-03-13, 10:55 AM
SimTide985
Driver

Originally Posted by SW13GS
When you put the car in reverse the mirrors tilt down to help you more easily see the curb. Are you sure the IS doesn't have this and the one you drove just didn't have it turned on?
You mean the side view mirrors tilting down? I've really never heard of this kind of feature. It sounds like it might be specific to larger cars/trucks. Why would I need those when I can use the rearview camera?

I can see why it would be there on a Dodge Pickup due to its height and dimensions but it doesn't need to be on a luxury sports sedan that has a good backup camera with trajectory which the IS has.
Old 08-03-13, 11:01 AM
jmac350
Driver School Candidate

I hope you are right. The switch for the power mirrors is obviously different than the one on my car. I asked the sales rep about it and he told me the F-Sport model, at least the RWD version does not come with auto tilt mirrors. Maybe someone else here can enlighten me about this feature and if the F-Sport comes with it. Is it a huge deal ?, not really, but I do like it. If you never had it in the car that you had, you won't miss it, but if you did, you will.
Old 08-03-13, 11:04 AM
jmac350
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SimTide985
You mean the side view mirrors tilting down? I've really never heard of this kind of feature. It sounds like it might be specific to larger cars/trucks. Why would I need those when I can use the rearview camera?

I can see why it would be there on a Dodge Pickup due to its height and dimensions but it doesn't need to be on a luxury sports sedan that has a good backup camera with trajectory which the IS has.
does the rear camera show you the side of the vehicle? How about the rear camera and power tilt mirrors?? Crazy talk.... The feature is not exclusive to larger cars and trucks.
Old 08-03-13, 11:08 AM
jmac350
Driver School Candidate

Low profile rims have zero tolerance with curbs. Road rash on expensive wheels is the worse. It is a low tech feature that can help the best driver in the world or the driver who has no idea how to park.
Old 08-03-13, 11:14 AM
jmac350
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jmac350
Low profile rims have zero tolerance with curbs. Road rash on expensive wheels is the worse. It is a low tech feature that can help the best driver in the world or the driver who has no idea how to park.
The reason I bring it up is that my 2008 IS350 has this option, along with memory for both front seats, with ventilation. Just a few options that are missing. That's all.
Old 08-03-13, 11:15 AM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

The camera will help you see if you're about to hit or run something over but the tilting mirrors help you get as close to the curb as possible (when parallel parking for example) without scraping up your wheels. It's actually quite useful.

Quick Reply: My review of the 2014 Lexus IS350 F-Sport (short test drive)