IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Dealer damaged my IS!

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-13, 08:48 PM
davidgeok
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealer damaged my IS!

I go to dealer shop and bought an IS 350 F Sport. They said all of their cars have tints because almost everyone who buys a car from them comes back to get tint. $499 for this. I go home and after a week, I realized the car is too bright and the sun is too hot. I cracked down the window and checked to see if there is a film but nothing. I thought it might be some factory tinted window but when I called the sale dude, he said he thought there was tint. I took the car back and it's 30-40 min drive and got my tint after 6 hours with a loaner car. I had to ask them to a least top off the gas tank for such mistake. They sold me a car saying it has tint. I went home today happy with the tint and took a look in the back windows since they were supposed to be darker and noticed several white spots on the inside window frame. This is definitely from the tinting job (from the squeegee)! I noticed the front passenger window frame has very minor damages but not as bad as the other one.

I don't want a touch up and I don't think they can even do a touch up on this.
I don't want a new door (which means factory assembled item taken apart and put back is prone to more problems)
I would want a new car or even my money back. - I financed this.
This was bought 2 weeks ago. How would you guys handle this? They told me to come back Monday since they need the "tint guy" to be there....

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...eat=directlink
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...eat=directlink
https://picasaweb.google.com/1152563...eat=directlink

Last edited by davidgeok; 08-16-13 at 08:51 PM.
Old 08-16-13, 09:39 PM
John510
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by davidgeok
I go to dealer shop and bought an IS 350 F Sport. They said all of their cars have tints because almost everyone who buys a car from them comes back to get tint. $499 for this. I go home and after a week, I realized the car is too bright and the sun is too hot. I cracked down the window and checked to see if there is a film but nothing. [/url]
OK hold up here. It took a week to figure out that your windows weren't tinted?

In a situation like this the dealer will most likely repaint the door frame since its scratched. They will not replace the car because of that.

Last edited by John510; 08-16-13 at 09:45 PM.
Old 08-16-13, 09:52 PM
davidgeok
Driver School Candidate

Yeah, took a while to notice it since I worked late and took it for a ride during night until the second day I took it to work when it was my early shift. Even when I took it back, the service guy said it has tint and I had to pull down the window to show him it doesn't. It does have a very little shade in the windows. The problem with the damage is that the part where it got damaged is not paint. It's actually some sort of rubbery material that goes over the metal frame. I'm not so sure if that can be replaced.
Old 08-17-13, 05:19 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by davidgeok
I noticed the front passenger window frame has very minor damages but not as bad as the other one.

I don't want a touch up and I don't think they can even do a touch up on this.
I don't want a new door (which means factory assembled item taken apart and put back is prone to more problems)
I would want a new car or even my money back. - I financed this.
This was bought 2 weeks ago. How would you guys handle this? They told me to come back Monday since they need the "tint guy" to be there....
I would not go (barging) in requesting a new car. You'll lose credibility and leverage as this would be an extreme request. My approach is to point it out and plainly state this was not there prior to the tinting with a mention you expect this to be fully repaired and transparent. With my CT, they once dinged a plastic trim on the inside, I pointed it out, and they replaced it without fuss.

When my only 4-month old RX F-Sport got side-rear-ended this year, my jaw dropped but the final repairs made the car look new again and I got over it. Car looks and feels like new even to this day and I'm loving it!

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...t-f-sport.html

With a proper body shop/repair process, all they need to do from what I see in your pics is sand down and fill in the chips, then repaint flat black the inner door frame. The corner plastic piece simply gets replaced with a new one.

Give your dealer a chance and they'll pull through, and you'll be back enjoying your ride!

Last edited by corradoMR2; 08-17-13 at 05:22 AM.
Old 08-17-13, 11:11 AM
palidino
Rookie

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
I would not go (barging) in requesting a new car. You'll lose credibility and leverage as this would be an extreme request. My approach is to point it out and plainly state this was not there prior to the tinting with a mention you expect this to be fully repaired and transparent. With my CT, they once dinged a plastic trim on the inside, I pointed it out, and they replaced it without fuss.

When my only 4-month old RX F-Sport got side-rear-ended this year, my jaw dropped but the final repairs made the car look new again and I got over it. Car looks and feels like new even to this day and I'm loving it!

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...t-f-sport.html

With a proper body shop/repair process, all they need to do from what I see in your pics is sand down and fill in the chips, then repaint flat black the inner door frame. The corner plastic piece simply gets replaced with a new one.

Give your dealer a chance and they'll pull through, and you'll be back enjoying your ride!
Im laughing so hard trying to picture a persons jaw dropping loool
Old 08-17-13, 11:26 AM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

A new car for a bad tint job? Good luck. Even I can't take this post seriously.
Old 08-17-13, 02:08 PM
Keppie
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You are not getting your money back and you are not getting another car. Other than the lemon law there is no justification for the dealer to replace a car unless there is hidden damage which is not the issue. Ask them what they can do without removing pieces. If they can't, they will order replacement parts. If the dealer does a good job, which they will your car will be no worse for the wear. Be happy the dealer installed the tint and are asking you to come back. A fly by night company would do a lot less. You are at the beginning of a relationship with your dealer. Be professional and reasonable with them and they treat you a lot better down the road when other issues that can cost you big $$$$ come up. As for the dealer location it sucks but you knew where they were going into this and I have yet to find someone that hasn't had to take a car back to a dealer or repair because something wasn't done properly the first time. Relax, in the big scheme of life this is peanuts.
Old 08-17-13, 02:31 PM
davidgeok
Driver School Candidate

Luckily they were very professional about the situation and they will order the replacement "tape" to reapply. I thought the only way is to get a new door installed. Just had to prepare for the worst case scenario.