IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Interesting Little Details Discoveries Thread (Good or Bad)

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-13, 03:48 PM
PhoenixOne
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm referring to the list on the left. It doesn't show the channel names. Only the preset numbers.
Old 09-09-13, 04:22 PM
Dark9t316
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PhoenixOne

I'm referring to the list on the left. It doesn't show the channel names. Only the preset numbers.
This is exactly how mine looks. For FM and AM, it shows up as the actual station #, eg. 106.1
Old 09-09-13, 04:36 PM
PhoenixOne
Rookie

I wish they could of made it with small fonts. That way, they could of fit the stations name. No worries, it's my wife's car and she's fine with it. And when I do drive it, that is the least of my worries....but it's a thought.
Old 09-09-13, 05:59 PM
isthree50
Rookie

Originally Posted by doctorttt
At night time, you will see two stripes of white light on the mouse -

The clip that mounts the usb cable can actually fit two wires instead of one -

Looking at the rims, I see that there are like a few metal tags on each, and I have no clue what they are -

And I hate that annoying gracenote crap -
The metal tab on the wheel ( unless there is something I'm not seeing ) is your wheel weight
Old 09-09-13, 06:42 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 270 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by PhoenixOne

Got it! Well I'm not gonna renew XM anyway so doesn't really care about it but Sirius made some ch easy to remember, ch 9 is for 90s and 8 is for 80s.
Old 09-11-13, 02:40 PM
albino1
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Here's a few things I like and don't like about my IS 250:

Like:

- I used to have a GS (and before that an old IS), but most recently I've been driving an Audi A5 S-Line. So while it maybe a downgrade in a lot of respects, the biggest thing I've enjoyed about my IS so far is how quiet and comfortable the ride is. I know a lot of people are tricking theirs out to make them more sporty or more noisy, but if I wanted that I wouldn't have gotten a Lexus.

- The quality of the integrated phone is a big improvement from my Audi, though there does seem to be some initial echo that people have reported.

- Having bluetooth integrated audio is a massive upgrade for me. Though I will say that it takes too long to initialize and start playing. If anybody has any idea how to speed that up, let me know.

- The wire clip from the center console is such a tiny but awesomely useful touch.

- I'm 6'3" and initially hated getting in and out until I realized I could turn off the feature that slid the seat all the way back, while still maintaining having the steering wheel go forward. It's significantly easier to get in and out of now.

- It's fantastic having ventilated seats again (my Audi only had heating) but they're stupidly loud on the full setting.

Don't Like:

- No sunglasses holder -- what the....... ? I actually bought the car before I even realized this. It never occurred to me there wouldn't be a sunglasses holder, I mean why wouldn't it? Such an unbelievably strange omission. I have no idea where to put my sunglasses.

- I'm not a big fan of the mouse interface, IMHO it's much more dangerous than the old touch screen, or the dial and buttons I had in my Audi A5. What sensitivity does everybody have theirs set to?

- The placement of the mouse is horrendous if you have a drink in the cup holder. It's pretty much unusable. Even putting it in the secondary holder still interferes with your arm when trying to use the dial.

- Speaking of which, the center console needs some more places to put things. For example, there's nowhere to put my wallet without opening it up and then closing it back up. The cup holders are too small, and there's nowhere else to put it. Also, see the bit about the sunglasses holder.

- No digital clock. I have no idea why there's no option on the Home screen to choose a digital clock. Honestly, the "fancy" analog clock to me looks cheesey on an IS compared to like a GS or LS.

- Speaking of non-digital things, why is there no digital speedometer? I realize the F-Sport version has it, but this is pretty basic functionality. It should be available as an option on the screen between the speed/tach.

- The turn indicator only flashes 3 times for lane changes -- though I recently saw in another thread that you can have the dealer change this. Once I get it upped to 4 or 5 it won't bother me as much.

- Non-LED interior lights? They're very cheesey, especially for something that's got a "luxury" package.

- This might be a setting, but I hate when I'm on Satellite and I'm on say, channel 2 and I want to go to 3, so I hit the arrows on the dash and for some reason it goes to the next favorite instead of up or down. So it'll go from Hits 1 to AM 570. I'm hoping I just haven't figured that part out yet.

- Nitpicking: but it annoys me that the text doesn't scroll to show entire Title/Artist on the Home Screen music window.

Speaking of the Home Screen, does anybody know how to make it default to that when the car starts instead of defaulting to the Nav map? Such a weird thing to have a Home Screen only to not have the car start with it.

Also, how does everybody have their set up? Right now I have the large right window set to the Audio, the top left set to Climate and the bottom left set to Nav. I added Climate because being able to change something like front vents to legs seems like it should be very easy, but it's not. Putting the Climate button on the Home Screen speeds up that process.

Anyway, that's all I've got for now.
Old 09-11-13, 06:03 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

albino1, for the sunglasses, get a visor clip.
Old 09-11-13, 06:09 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

Nice discovery. My first fill-up, I actually was disappointed in letting the cap dangle down onto the car. However, second fill-up I realized and for the first time ever in my experience owning Toyota/Lexus products, there's a spot to "lock in" the gas cap when fueling as opposed to the typical clip on the door you slide the cap in.
Attached Thumbnails Interesting Little Details Discoveries Thread (Good or Bad)-cap1.jpg  
Old 09-11-13, 06:20 PM
Skinnyfats
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is hot! Wonder how many people found that right away.
Old 09-11-13, 08:50 PM
kesh550
Rookie

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Nice discovery. My first fill-up, I actually was disappointed in letting the cap dangle down onto the car. However, second fill-up I realized and for the first time ever in my experience owning Toyota/Lexus products, there's a spot to "lock in" the gas cap when fueling as opposed to the typical clip on the door you slide the cap in.
My CLS550 had the same thing
Old 09-11-13, 10:07 PM
jennypenny
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

sunglasses holder is something i dont really miss, because my Oakleys are too big anyways! (Juliet, Monster Dog and Crosshair)

remote touch (mouse controller) is way better to use IMO. easier to skip and intuitive.

ride quality is another thing i think is amazing for this car. its smoother than my CT. and its sitting on 18 inchers!!
Old 09-11-13, 10:10 PM
eyeball
Lead Lap

Very true...my Rayban Aviators could not fit into my Rx400h sunglass holder. Unless Lexus designed a bigger sunglasses holder, having one in my IS350 would be a moot issue
Old 09-12-13, 05:35 AM
PhoenixOne
Rookie

corradoMR2, nice find!
Old 09-12-13, 06:20 AM
magne
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Am I the only one who think it's strange that the foot rest is not metal like the pedals in the f-sport?
Somebody should at least make an aftermarket part, to replace the ugly plastic foot rest that is stock.

Found a few more details today that I'm not satisfied with.
It does appear that the EU version of the IS can not change to 5 or 7 blinks at first step on indicator, altho my dealer has written to the tech divison to confirm this.

When you change the trunk light bulb, it has a black plastic "hood" on top of the bulb holder that comes loose and starts rattleing around under the hat shelf. Had to go to my delaership to have them remove it.

Also If you order the IS without memory seats, you also loose the ability to tilt the mirrors in reverse.
Old 09-12-13, 06:23 AM
Skinnyfats
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't like you can't get blue in the US F sport.

Quick Reply: Interesting Little Details Discoveries Thread (Good or Bad)