IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

F Sport package not a great value considering what you give up.

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-13, 01:37 PM
DexRox512
Turkey Killer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jeez...you guys really have all this figured out.
Old 10-03-13, 05:18 PM
SonyHome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
NuLuxe is superior to leather, more durable, less maintenance, cheaper to manufacture
buy VGRS option for $400
Do you have link to this information about NuLuxe vs. Leather?
Old 10-03-13, 10:45 PM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Glashub
Okay. So you think people who are smart enough to make enough money to afford the car are dumb enough to be seduced by a "bling" gauge and are incapable of making value judgments about the car i.e. what's important to them or not?

Got it. Mmm, and all of the reviewers who placed the IS ahead of he BMW are Camry drivers who got turned on by the gauge?

Numbers talk. Bull**** walks. And the numbers are saying that the IS is a runaway success with a majority of smart and savvy buyers even though it's missing butt coolers, etc.

The driving experience must be great enough to compensate, eh? But then again the really smart people don't drive a car for the driving experience -- no Sir -- it's all about the tech. Visit the Q50 forums and witness how much those people are enjoying their techy cars.
Basically all great points. At the end of the day, driving a 3rd Gen IS F-Sport is just a visceral pleasure that renders the missing features trivial in the eyes of many prospective IS buyers.

2 major car magazines thought so. Enough for them to crown the new IS as the new segment leader over the BMW 3 series. Many grassroots reviewers thought so, and stated their preference for the IS over the 3 series, despite having no vested interests in Lexus.

Focussing on one or two missing features is myopic when the overall experience of car ownership is key.
Old 10-03-13, 10:59 PM
vbx
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SonyHome
Nuluxe is just a "fancy" word for plastic. aka Polyurethane. Google polyurethane vs leather.
Old 10-04-13, 06:41 AM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Car and Driver slams the fully optioned Q50 in this new review

2014 Infiniti Q50S Hybrid http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...id-test-review
Old 10-04-13, 07:22 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

and yet its reported up to 40% of IS sold are F Sport
Old 10-04-13, 07:25 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SonyHome
nothing scientific but some other members have been reviewing it. If a synthetic leather was created, its going to be better than the natural one. Because why invent a synthetic when natural worked. What would you maintain on nuluxe anyways, no conditioners. Easy to manufacture instead of skinning a cow and the whole leather process

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es3...13-es300h.html
Old 10-04-13, 08:31 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

nothing scientific but some other members have been reviewing it. If a synthetic leather was created, its going to be better than the natural one. Because why invent a synthetic when natural worked. What would you maintain on nuluxe anyways, no conditioners. Easy to manufacture instead of skinning a cow and the whole leather process
"Better" is subjective. It may be more durable, but to someone who appreciates craftsmanship and quality materials, no synthetic leather will ever replace quality natural leather. Just as no fake wood trim can replace deep genuine wood trim. There's a lot of value to something being "genuine".

Why would they create synthetic leather when natural works? Because its cheaper. Thats the only reason.
Old 10-04-13, 08:44 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

natural doesn't work as well, its not as durable, requires maintenance, harder to dye, more expensive, and less environmentally friendly (matters to some people). That's why synthetics of anything are invented to fix the problems natural has.

I've sat and test driven the car, it felt fine to me. It feels just like leather. I bet if no one was told, they wouldnt notice the difference. The rest is just in the person's head. Like synthetic diamonds.
Old 10-04-13, 08:57 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Don't get me wrong, I like the NuLuxe. I've said before that I actually think the NuLuxe feels better than the leather thats actually available on the IS and the non aniline leather in the ES. I would have no problem buying an IS F Sport with the NuLuxe. However, Lexus aniline leather in the GS, LS, etc is much better feeling than NuLuxe.

However, don't fool yourself into thinking this is anything but a cost saving measure for Lexus. Synthetic materials are developed to reduce cost, anything else is just marketing spin. To someone who cares about fine quality materials, no synthetic material will ever measure up.
Old 10-04-13, 10:11 AM
Stitch626
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I am currently leasing my 350 F sport and to be honest the difference from a stock 350 to my F sport with the VGRS, Mark levinson package and all the goodies was only $18 more a month to get into the F Sport. Honestly I have no regrets and love everything about the car and yes for me the F and the gauge had me sold. I come from the honda world where if you had a civic everyone else had an Si so this time around i made the jump for the 350 F sport...knowing the only thing above that was a IS F or LFA lol and I will admit it feels good.
Old 10-04-13, 10:26 AM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Car manufacturers seem to be going in distinct directions. Heavy tech like the Q50, a blend of heavy tech but a more subdued yet still engaging driving experience like BMW, barebones driving excitement, and finally a blend of bare bones driving excitement with tech meant to support the driving like the 2014 iS350 Fsport.

Check out the review of the 1st drive of the 2014 Alpha 4c. No tech. Not even electronic steering. No butt coolers. Nothing. But they love it. About 54K.

IS350 Fsport seems to be a middle ground between the Alpha and the more techy cars.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...c_first_drive/
Old 10-05-13, 01:35 PM
KeyserS
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fake leather is not real leather

natural doesn't work as well, its not as durable, requires maintenance, harder to dye, more expensive, and less environmentally friendly (matters to some people). That's why synthetics of anything are invented to fix the problems natural has.

I've sat and test driven the car, it felt fine to me. It feels just like leather. I bet if no one was told, they wouldnt notice the difference. The rest is just in the person's head. Like synthetic diamonds.
Most of this F-Sport vs. Regular debate is purely subjective and kind of pointless. The same is true to a limited degree for the leather vs. non-leather debate. Lower cost is an advantage. But cows get slaughtered for food, and as a result, there is lots and lots of leather to be had. As such, it is just plain silly to make an environmental argument for using non-leather. You can make vegan argument, but a vegan argument does not equate to a true environmental argument, and BTW my shoes are made of leather. Whether the fake leather is more durable over time remains to be seen. Leather requires very little maintenance at all. The problems you allude to are mostly imaginary. And particularly imaginary is your statement that the fake leather feels the same, and that one would not notice the difference, and that if they did, it would be in your head. The only thing that is just in someone's head in your opinion on this. I drove an F-Sport with fake leather on a hot sunny day in August. I started getting comfortable fairly quickly on the center part of the seat, which is ventilated. But even by the end of the test drive, the sensation of having wet skin due to perspiration, on the sides of my thighs where there is no perforation, was obvious to put it mildly. It was downright uncomfortable, and it was definitely not just in my head. This is the issue with the fake leather. It does not breathe. For that reason, it is not remotely the same as genuine leather, no matter how much it looks like leather or feels like leather to the touch. In the important sense, it does not feel like leather, at all. I don't know if there is a reason why they could not or would not perforate it all the way out to within the last half inch of reaching the seam, but only if they had done that would it have come at all close to being an acceptable substitute for genuine leather.

Last edited by KeyserS; 10-05-13 at 03:33 PM.
Old 10-05-13, 06:30 PM
amoney805
Pole Position

Kelley Blue Book's take on Nuluxe:

".....the standard NuLuxe upholstery exudes a similar, if not deeper, feel of refinement than the traditional leather seating found in the Luxury Package."
Old 10-05-13, 07:24 PM
SimTide985
Driver

Originally Posted by amoney805
Kelley Blue Book's take on Nuluxe:

".....the standard NuLuxe upholstery exudes a similar, if not deeper, feel of refinement than the traditional leather seating found in the Luxury Package."
It's interesting..

The worst thing anyone ever says about the NuLuxe is that it "isn't leather" or it "should be leather". There's nothing objectively bad about it other than that.

Quick Reply: F Sport package not a great value considering what you give up.