IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

F Sport package not a great value considering what you give up.

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-13, 10:03 PM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by vbx
We're just saying the price is a bit steep for what we get. Even at invoice it's 5k overpriced.
You're clearly an expert at accessing auto price/value. You've even given the exact amount the car is overpriced . Very impressive.

Is this going to go until next July? 2-3 new people a day popping up on the forum to declare the 2014 IS a bad value because it doesn't have a rear shade, etc.?

Never mind what the car does have and do that other cars don't have and can't do -- it's all about the butt coolers.
Old 09-20-13, 10:14 PM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by vbx
We're just saying the price is a bit steep for what we get. Even at invoice it's 5k overpriced.
Good luck getting a similarly specced BMW or MB for the same price.
Old 09-20-13, 10:54 PM
vbx
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Glashub
You're clearly an expert at accessing auto price/value. You've even given the exact amount the car is overpriced . Very impressive.

Is this going to go until next July? 2-3 new people a day popping up on the forum to declare the 2014 IS a bad value because it doesn't have a rear shade, etc.?

Never mind what the car does have and do that other cars don't have and can't do -- it's all about the butt coolers.
Of course with that attitude, it's no wonder Lexus of America decides to push the water down version for us American consumer.

Lexus: Don't worry, just slap on a Mitsubishi Evo X bumper and we can charge 5,000 more and take away all the goodies. Don't worry, the front grill will distract them.
Old 09-20-13, 11:38 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

please keep conversations civil and get back on topic
Old 09-21-13, 01:51 AM
CtSFox
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by natnut
Good luck getting a similarly specced BMW or MB for the same price.
To your point Natnut, I just did a price comparison between the IS350 f sport awd nav/ML I ordered and a comparably equipped BMW 335 M sport xdrive. The difference in MSRP was about $10,000 with the BMW being more expensive.

Last edited by CtSFox; 09-22-13 at 10:20 AM. Reason: Did a more careful comparison, diff now $10k vs. $6k
Old 09-21-13, 09:21 AM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CtSFox
To your point Natnut, I just did a price comparison between the IS350 f sport awd nav/ML I ordered and a comparably equipped BMW 335 M sport xdrive. The difference in MSRP was at least $6,000 with the BMW being more expensive.
One should factor in the fact that the BMW also includes maintnainance.
Old 09-21-13, 09:33 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts

Then we should also factor in the fact that BMW on average REQUIRES extra repairs outside of regular maintenance. That extra time/opportunity cost cooling your heels in the BMW servicing area should be taken into account too.
Old 09-21-13, 09:37 AM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

We see so many BMW's with the words "BMW Courtesy Vehicle" in rear window -- my wife thought it was a new model.
Old 09-21-13, 09:49 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

It all boils down to this: The 2IS is the better LUXURY SPORT SEDAN and the 3IS is the better SPORT LUXURY SEDAN.

Frankly Lexus did screw up with the 3IS because competing and comparable models such as the 335i mentioned above does has a $6000 price disadvantage over the Lexus. The 3IS has already proven to dethrone the 3-Series at it's own game, so why not hike up the price to reflect the luxury badge that L stands for. Even if the features we want are options, at least they should be available. Throw in $3000 of extra options and better materials and you still come out on top over the 3-Series.

Forget about Value, we play in the luxury market. Leave the penny saving to Hyundai. The new S-Class starts in around $90K. LS starts in at $71.9. As long as we offer a superior product we can raise the price. Our cars merritts speak for themselves now.

If Lexus really wanted to wow the world they would once again stick it to the market and move further upscale. People are b****ing that the IS350 F-Sport is $50K well in four years time inflation will have your car marked at $55K easy. The more expensive our vehicles the more brand panache and recongnition we'll recieve.

Enough with the cost cutting, we're done bean counters and we won't stand for CHEAP.
Old 09-21-13, 09:56 AM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Hoovey2411 I agree with you. I wish I had a chance to max out an option list. I would've. But I'm not like most Americans. I wanted a smaller car having had TL's and a Genesis prior. We tend to forget that the IS is branded as an "entry level luxury car". And people shopping anything "entry level" are budget conscious. Willing to bet the 1%'ers are not driving an IS as their 1st car.
Old 09-21-13, 10:42 AM
eyeball
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
If Lexus really wanted to wow the world they would once again stick it to the market and move further upscale. People are b****ing that the IS350 F-Sport is $50K well in four years time inflation will have your car marked at $55K easy. The more expensive our vehicles the more brand panache and recongnition we'll recieve.

Enough with the cost cutting, we're done bean counters and we won't stand for CHEAP.
You just reminded me of the fact that my first Lexus, the RX300, was in the low to mid-$30,000 range in 2000. Now the 3RX is easily in the $55,000 range more than a decade later.
Old 09-21-13, 11:40 AM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by natnut
Then we should also factor in the fact that BMW on average REQUIRES extra repairs outside of regular maintenance. That extra time/opportunity cost cooling your heels in the BMW servicing area should be taken into account too.
Depends how long you're going to keep it. A lot of people don't keep vehicles past their warranty period anyway. If you're one of those, the extra repairs, if it were to even happen, would be a non-issue, but maintenance would still need to be done. In a typical 3 year lease, you're going to do at least one brake job if not two, the second one including rotors. While you may not get all of that 6K back, it does bring the cost difference down significantly.

If you're going to keep the car well past it's warranty period, then you're absolutely correct.
Old 09-21-13, 11:58 AM
CtSFox
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ramon
Depends how long you're going to keep it. A lot of people don't keep vehicles past their warranty period anyway. If you're one of those, the extra repairs, if it were to even happen, would be a non-issue, but maintenance would still need to be done. In a typical 3 year lease, you're going to do at least one brake job if not two, the second one including rotors. While you may not get all of that 6K back, it does bring the cost difference down significantly.

If you're going to keep the car well past it's warranty period, then you're absolutely correct.
Interesting issue you raise Ramon. I am one of those guys who keeps a car 10-12 years. I just get attached and can't let go! At any rate, I am retiring my 2002 BMW 330xi as I await delivery of my IS. II just LOVED that e46, but man did it spend a lot of time in the shop! I also had an extended warrenty good through 6 years/100,000 miles. So, while under warrenty, not much $$$ cost, just my time and inconvenience. But man, owning that car the last 50,000 miles to 150k was really expensive!
Old 09-21-13, 01:37 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Glashub
Hoovey2411 I agree with you. I wish I had a chance to max out an option list. I would've. But I'm not like most Americans. I wanted a smaller car having had TL's and a Genesis prior. We tend to forget that the IS is branded as an "entry level luxury car". And people shopping anything "entry level" are budget conscious. Willing to bet the 1%'ers are not driving an IS as their 1st car.
I'm the same as you, I'd have checked every box. And with BMW you can. They may be budget conscious but this is still a Luxury badge, and with that sort of stigma you need to be prepared to pay a premium. Some mainstream automakers now offer decent set materials which border what entry luxury ones do including the IS. The bezels over the steering wheel controls is some of the worst rough scratchy plastic I've ever seen in a car and its in the IS

Originally Posted by eyeball
You just reminded me of the fact that my first Lexus, the RX300, was in the low to mid-$30,000 range in 2000. Now the 3RX is easily in the $55,000 range more than a decade later.
The GT-R in 2008 debuted at $69k now the latest model is at the 6 digit mark. If an Explorer can easily crest $50k then people better be prepared to spend more on their Lexus soon. The new 2014 X5 has a $7k price increase over the 2013. Plenty of wiggle room for Lexus to add more while still coming in cheaper
Old 09-22-13, 02:09 AM
jhs82
Lead Lap

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
I'm the same as you, I'd have checked every box. And with BMW you can. They may be budget conscious but this is still a Luxury badge, and with that sort of stigma you need to be prepared to pay a premium. Some mainstream automakers now offer decent set materials which border what entry luxury ones do including the IS. The bezels over the steering wheel controls is some of the worst rough scratchy plastic I've ever seen in a car and its in the IS

The GT-R in 2008 debuted at $69k now the latest model is at the 6 digit mark. If an Explorer can easily crest $50k then people better be prepared to spend more on their Lexus soon. The new 2014 X5 has a $7k price increase over the 2013. Plenty of wiggle room for Lexus to add more while still coming in cheaper
But the Explorer and X5 is completely different cars than the IS. Would you really get an IS if you could get an X5 for the same price? X5 is a SUV and hence have better status in the land of cheap fuel and oversized cars. Yes, your fuel is till cheap compared to most of the non oil producing world. I Sweden you have to pay about $9 for a gallon of regular 95 octane RON (I belive that's 91 octane in US).

Quick Reply: F Sport package not a great value considering what you give up.