IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

F Sport package not a great value considering what you give up.

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-13, 05:24 AM
dbs600
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Different vehicles, yes, but would you guys say the RX350 is a more 'premium' vehicle than the IS350? And would you say it's a better 'value'? And what about the actual build quality, any better? Thanks.
Old 09-22-13, 05:27 AM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

"Companies have reacted for years to the shrinking middle class by developing both top shelf and bargain versions of their product lines. Toyota has been successful with the Lexus. Frito-Lay has introduced Olive Coast, kettle-cooked chips with a Mediterranean flavor, as well as “Taqueros,” a discount tortilla chip. Apple's new iPhone comes in both a $199 version and a $99 one with cheaper components."

http://www.nbcnews.com/business/luxu...***-4B11212163
Old 09-22-13, 08:01 AM
jhs82
Lead Lap

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by dbs600
Different vehicles, yes, but would you guys say the RX350 is a more 'premium' vehicle than the IS350? And would you say it's a better 'value'? And what about the actual build quality, any better? Thanks.
I wouldn't say the RX is more premium than IS. But it's not high status to drive an SUV in Sweden. A luxury sedan is better seen. But the general opinion in the US is "bigger is better", so there the RX is probably considered more premium.
Old 09-22-13, 05:25 PM
vbx
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Glashub
"Companies have reacted for years to the shrinking middle class by developing both top shelf and bargain versions of their product lines. Toyota has been successful with the Lexus. Frito-Lay has introduced Olive Coast, kettle-cooked chips with a Mediterranean flavor, as well as “Taqueros,” a discount tortilla chip. Apple's new iPhone comes in both a $199 version and a $99 one with cheaper components."

http://www.nbcnews.com/business/luxu...***-4B11212163
But Lexus decides to charge more with less options.

The 2014 IS350 is about 5k more than last year model.
Old 09-22-13, 05:39 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Originally Posted by jhs82
Would you really get an IS if you could get an X5 for the same price? X5.
Yes. The IS and X5 are completely different vehicles. If I were buying an IS, I would be looking for a well made, nimble, enjoyable sports sedan. The X5, while a nice vehicle is none of those things, except the "well made".

If I were looking for a two row SUV likewise I would never consider an IS.

Remember, people pay $60k+ for the 3 series all day long.

But the general opinion in the US is "bigger is better", so there the RX is probably considered more premium.
Best to leave generalizations about what is considered more premium in the US to those of us in the US. The RX is not considered more premium than the IS in the US, and the "prestige" of having something "bigger" depends. If someone truly enjoys driving...they would never even want to ride in an RX let alone drive one.

Originally Posted by vbx
But Lexus decides to charge more with less options.

The 2014 IS350 is about 5k more than last year model.
To be fair, this is really not true. The 3IS F Sport does lack options and I agree thats stupid, but the car is really worlds better than the 2IS, and offers a lot more content in terms of driving dynamics.

Having driven both the Luxury IS (which has the features you want) and the F Sport IS, I really would give up the options to get the F Sport. I'm just frustrated I have to make that choice as the F Sport should have all the available options of the luxury model.
Old 09-22-13, 07:35 PM
eyeball
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What baffles me the most is the lack of auto dimming SIDE mirrors! How expensive is this STANDARD feature?!
Old 09-22-13, 07:56 PM
amoney805
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What gets me is the lack of ventilating seats. Those are a must in the 100 degree summers.
Old 09-23-13, 07:54 AM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

I have written extensively about why Lexus chose to do what it did so that people would understand it's all math driven and it's based on demo/psycho data. Few people would pay $55-$60k for an IS so it doesn't make sense to incur the cost of setting up assembly lines and redefining logistics to accommodate outliers.

I rest my case about price points and branding. Read below what Kelvin105 wrote -

"I agree that's why I went for the fully loaded IS250 instead which cost around $44k. The base GS is only 3k more too. So why get the IS350 for about the same price when even the base GS is a much more luxurious and upscale car."

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...350-exist.html
Old 09-23-13, 09:11 AM
jhs82
Lead Lap

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

I have written extensively about why Lexus chose to do what it did so that people would understand it's all math driven and it's based on demo/psycho data. Few people would pay $55-$60k for an IS so it doesn't make sense to incur the cost of setting up assembly lines and redefining logistics to accommodate outliers.

I rest my case about price points and branding. Read below what Kelvin105 wrote -

"I agree that's why I went for the fully loaded IS250 instead which cost around $44k. The base GS is only 3k more too. So why get the IS350 for about the same price when even the base GS is a much more luxurious and upscale car."

For the same price as my IS300h, i could have got an GS250 with fair equipment. However, i would not have gotten a hybrid, and missed out on most of the top equipment like ML and navigation.
For about $3k more i could have got a base GS450h, but that one is stripped of almost everything called "premium".
Old 09-23-13, 10:21 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

I rest my case about price points and branding.
Since you do not work for Lexus and are not involved in their pricing or packaging decisions...nor do you have any inside knowledge or insight into those decisions, its not your case to rest.

I think you are wrong that nobody would pay $55k for a loaded IS F Sport. Infiniti thinks people will pay $55k for a loaded Q50. BMW has had people paying $60k for loaded 335s for years. The buyers are there.

A loaded IS350 F Sport is a very different car than a base GS, and I own a GS. Dynamically a loaded IS350 F Sport will run circles around a base GS with no AVS and more weight. Its a different buyer, but you would be giving up a lot going from a loaded 350 to a base GS (which doesn't really exist) or a Premium package GS @ $55k.

Again...BMW sells 3 series that cost more than lower package 5 series all day long.
Old 09-23-13, 10:22 AM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

People have responded extensively how many of these features are largely trivial in cost. If you don't want to pay for them, you don't check that option. Not any different that the options that it currently has. You want ML, you buy ML, you don't want it, you don't buy a car optioned out with it and save the money.
Old 09-23-13, 10:46 AM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SW13GS
Since you do not work for Lexus and are not involved in their pricing or packaging decisions...nor do you have any inside knowledge or insight into those decisions, its not your case to rest.

I think you are wrong that nobody would pay $55k for a loaded IS F Sport. Infiniti thinks people will pay $55k for a loaded Q50. BMW has had people paying $60k for loaded 335s for years. The buyers are there.

A loaded IS350 F Sport is a very different car than a base GS, and I own a GS. Dynamically a loaded IS350 F Sport will run circles around a base GS with no AVS and more weight. Its a different buyer, but you would be giving up a lot going from a loaded 350 to a base GS (which doesn't really exist) or a Premium package GS @ $55k.

Again...BMW sells 3 series that cost more than lower package 5 series all day long.
Listen Dude. I have worked with big brands for years. I have some insight that most don't. You can trot out BMW all day long but they've been building a premium brand with few missteps for years. Lexus is still 2nd tier in the minds of many. People don't earn their 1st million and go buy a Lexus do they? THEY BUY BMW AND MERCEDES. EVEN AUDI ISN'T ON THEIR LEVEL BUT IT'S GETTING THERE. THOSE BRANDS TELL THE WORLD A PERSON HAS MADE IT! GERMAN BRANDS BESPEAK CACHET AND QUALITY WHETHER TRUE ANYMORE OR NOT! GOOGLE THE WORD "BRANDING" AND STUDY UP! LEXUS BESPEAKS "SENSIBLE LUXURY."

BMW CAN SELL A $65k 3 SERIES BECAUSE IT'S A BMW. DO YOU THINK BMW OWNERS LOOK AT YOUR GS AND FEEL LIKE THEY ARE LESS IMPRESSIVE THAN YOU? DO YOU THINK AUDI OWNERS LOOK AT MY IS AND THINK, "BOY THAT GUY TRUMPS ME'? GET REALITY BASED. IT'S ALL HUMAN PSYCHOLOGY AND BRANDING. LEXUS DOES NOT HAVE THE BRAND EQUITY OF A BMW.

Lexus is the premium brand of Toyota. Acura is the premium brand of Honda. Audi is the premium brand of VW. You can buy an Avalon on an ES platform. BMW and Mercedes are stand alone premium brands -- companies onto themselves. They are not the offshoot of some brand that is known for being a "good value". Which brand has more value?

Lexus is listed 87th as the worlds most powerful brand @ 6.9 billion brand value and number 82 in consumer perception.
BMW Group is listed as #9 @ 26 billion brand value and number 5 in consumer perception.
http://www.forbes.com/powerful-brands/list/

Number 5 can get away with a lot more than number 87 when it comes to pricing. If you were to break down the cars to parts and lay them side by side as parts -- no assembly -- I don't know this to be true-- but I'd bet the sum of the Lexus IS parts would probably cost (be worth) more than the sum of a 3 series parts. Lexus parts and prices are probably better quality.

You really don't know anything about how this all works do you? Your ignorance is astonishing but you still attack me for providing the only rationale for what Lexus does, You think they are like an angry parent and withhold things?

Utterly amazing how little you know about how large brands think and operate yet you're here every day wishing for a unicorn that defecates money.

Since you're an expert -- why do you think they didn't provide the options you're crying over?
Huh? Provide an answer that is verifiable or prove me wrong or put me on your ignore list!!!!

Last edited by Glashub; 09-23-13 at 01:17 PM.
Old 09-23-13, 11:10 AM
sarcoptic
Driver

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

This is clublexus.com right?
Old 09-23-13, 11:35 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i have said this before, please keep the discussions constructive and on topic, or i will start asking people to exit this thread. this is the last warning. i don't want to see anymore finger pointing
Old 09-23-13, 11:57 AM
Dark9t316
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ramon
People have responded extensively how many of these features are largely trivial in cost. If you don't want to pay for them, you don't check that option. Not any different that the options that it currently has. You want ML, you buy ML, you don't want it, you don't buy a car optioned out with it and save the money.
With most car companies out there, it is a matter of survival, to drive down overall cost of product. When you break it down to building a car, the more of the same component and the same build of cars will ultimately result in cost savings to achieve economies of scale. If Lexus allowed EVERY user to select what they want, as in 100% build to order, their costs will be very high and their turn around time will rise as well. This is why you will see specific builds on the lot ready for what they believe most buyers will like (based on market research). This isn't going to satisfy everyone, but it didn't stop a lot of us from buying the car.

Quick Reply: F Sport package not a great value considering what you give up.