IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

F Sport package not a great value considering what you give up.

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-13, 09:26 PM
dbs600
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
As opposed to base and luxury? the only difference is (other than the tach) is the matte black trim, CF trim, or wood trim pieces. And they're tiny to boot. 3IS interiors are essentially the same thing
Yes, between base, Luxury and F Sport, I thought Luxury and F Sport have more 'soft' material surfaces, but wondering if Luxury covers up more 'hard' plastic than F Sport...
Old 09-23-13, 09:31 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

As opposed to base and luxury? the only difference is (other than the tach) is the matte black trim, CF trim, or wood trim pieces. And they're tiny to boot. 3IS interiors are essentially the same thing
I think the style and overall feel of the F Sport jibes better with the overall feel and style of the interior's architecture. Its a sporty interior by design, and in the luxury trim it strikes me as a sporty interior trying to be luxurious with wood trim that seems tacked on, etc. The F Sport seems a more natural fit to me. The seats have a lot to do with that I think.

Originally Posted by dbs600
Yes, I'm wonder between base, Luxury and F Sport. I thought the Luxury and F Sport Packages have more 'soft' material covered surfaces; does Luxury covers up more 'hard' plastic surfaces than F Sport or are they equivalent?
They are equivalent. The parts of the interior that are "hard plastic" are hard plastic across all the trims. Those parts don't jump out at you though IMHO, as they do in the current ES.
Old 09-24-13, 05:57 AM
dshkim2
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Honestly, if it wasn't for the F-sport, I'd say go with another car in that same price range.. Audi A4, Infiniti Q50, or BMW 328. The BMW and Infiniti are faster stock than the IS350 stock and Audis are just incredible in terms of driver's feel . The F-sport package is what makes the IS stand out from its competition IMO.
Old 09-24-13, 06:04 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts

The 328i is NOT faster than the IS350. Audi A4's nose-heavy FWD architecture and numb steering is not exactly a recipe for "driver's car".

In fact the biggest criticism of Audis is that their driving feel/feedback lags far behind their grip and straightline performance
Old 09-24-13, 10:19 AM
CtSFox
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by natnut
The 328i is NOT faster than the IS350. Audi A4's nose-heavy FWD architecture and numb steering is not exactly a recipe for "driver's car".

In fact the biggest criticism of Audis is that their driving feel/feedback lags far behind their grip and straightline performance
I was just going to post the same thing, but you beat me to it!
Old 09-24-13, 11:43 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah I don't agree about Audis and driving feel. I almost got an A6 instead of my GS, and from a drive standpoint it reminded me more of my previous ES than the GS. You can definitely tell its at its core a FWD car...
Old 09-24-13, 12:55 PM
reyoasian
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

BUT.....with F-Sport models.....your REAR SEATS FOLD DOWN!!!
Old 09-24-13, 01:33 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

no all 3IS have 60/40 folding seats
Old 09-24-13, 11:52 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by dbs600
Yes, between base, Luxury and F Sport, I thought Luxury and F Sport have more 'soft' material surfaces, but wondering if Luxury covers up more 'hard' plastic than F Sport...
Short answer no, like SW13GS mentioned, everything is the same save for the "Trim" pieces for Base, Luxury and F-Sport

Originally Posted by SW13GS
I think the style and overall feel of the F Sport jibes better with the overall feel and style of the interior's architecture. Its a sporty interior by design, and in the luxury trim it strikes me as a sporty interior trying to be luxurious with wood trim that seems tacked on, etc. The F Sport seems a more natural fit to me. The seats have a lot to do with that I think.

They are equivalent. The parts of the interior that are "hard plastic" are hard plastic across all the trims. Those parts don't jump out at you though IMHO, as they do in the current ES.
I agree that the "Style" and "Cabin Feel" go better with the F-Sport, but then that goes to show they failed to make a LUXURY sport sedan. A great sport sedan, but the "premium" integration is really lacking when you look at lack of features and physical quality of cabin materials.
Old 09-25-13, 05:32 AM
tommay
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

serious question,

F-sport grill or non F-sport grill.

i personally hate the way the F sport grill looks and planned on swapping it out once i got the car. i dont like the way it looks now and i know i'll hate it even more once i have to put yellow NY plates on there (lol)
Old 09-25-13, 05:53 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts

The F-Sport grill is a major reason why I prefer the F-Sport over the non F-Sport.
Old 09-25-13, 07:12 AM
dbs600
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tommay
d i know i'll hate it even more once i have to put yellow NY plates on there
How do we even make sure that the license plate braket is lined up / centered properly with on the grill? There doesn't seem to be any method to the madness. I like the grill otherwise, but I'm concered over centering / leveling...
Old 09-25-13, 07:28 AM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

^^^^

License relocation kit.
Old 09-25-13, 08:11 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

use a tow hook license plate mount
Old 09-25-13, 11:55 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I agree that the "Style" and "Cabin Feel" go better with the F-Sport, but then that goes to show they failed to make a LUXURY sport sedan. A great sport sedan, but the "premium" integration is really lacking when you look at lack of features and physical quality of cabin materials.
I don't know that I would take it that far. The harder plastics are much more hidden in the IS than in the ES, and in the case of the IS I think the overall car is enough of an improvement over the previous car to excuse SOME cost cutting on places like lower doors, etc. I think its pretty comparable with other cars in its class, such as the BMW 3 Series, etc. The features are there, just not in the F Sport.

I don't feel that way about the ES.

Originally Posted by tommay
serious question,

F-sport grill or non F-sport grill.
I think the F-Sport grill makes the car. I think the base and luxury model 3IS looks awkward compared to the F Sport.

Quick Reply: F Sport package not a great value considering what you give up.