IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

IS350 - First Road Trip

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-13, 08:57 AM
redcupr
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IS350 - First Road Trip

Made the first roadtrip with the IS last week.

The route: Redmond, Washington to Redmond, Oregon to see the parents. Total of 677 miles.
Southbound: I-5 through Portland, Oregon then Hwy 26 over Mt. Hood.
Northbound: Hwy 97 up the east side of the Cascades to I-90 over Snoqualmie Pass.

The car: 2014 IS350 AWD F-Sport.

We usually do this trip in our SUV, a VW Touareg V8 with air suspension. Rides like a Cadillac, but we’re lucky if we get 18 mpg. The last time we made this trip we took our Mini Cooper S. It beat the snot out of us, we were exhausted by the time we got there and almost divorced by the time we got home. Hence the new Lexus in the driveway and the lack of a Mini in our garage now.

My dad wanted some car cleaning supplies from Griot’s Garage, so it gave me an excuse to go by their flagship store in Tacoma. Very cool store, I need to go back when I have more time to wander. I had only been to their old store which was a small room in an industrial park.

Tried to maintain about 75-77 mph once we cleared Olympia, filled up in Portland. Checked the mileage (by calculation), we averaged 28.1 mpg. I checked it a couple times. Very pleased with the mileage this car gets, and it was comfortable cruising on the freeway.

Griot's Garage, Tacoma, WA

After Portland, and a burger at Burgerville, the road eventually narrows to two lanes going over Mt. Hood. It was at this point my wife says “I’ll drive now”. Crap! I relent, as she as it’s half her car and I do want her to enjoy it. She enjoyed it a lot! The car climbed the hills and rounded the curves beautifully and I kind of enjoyed riding and just watching the scenery when I wasn’t watching the speedometer.

Once we arrived at the parents’ house, they got there first look at the IS in person. They both really like the car. They had just taken delivery of a 2014 BMW 535i. My dad said they would have strongly considered the IS if there was a Lexus dealer closer than Portland or Eugene (2 to 3 hour drive).

Headed home two days later, this time I got to drive all 350 miles. The route home is all two lane except the last 2 hours, so I got to push the car. The 30/70 split on the AWD is noticeable on uphill corners, you put your foot in it and the car pushes itself around the corner, almost non-existent understeer.

Refilled the tank once we crossed into Washington, this time we averaged 26.7 mpg. Still impressed considering I was pushing the car. The obligatory stop at the Zillah Teapot Gas Station for a photo op was made and then onto the freeway for an uneventful cruise home.

Teapot Gas Station, Zillah, WA

Overall the car has exceeded my expectations. We wanted to replace the Mini with something sporty, that’s comfortable on roadtrips, and that we can get our parents into (all four are over 70 years old). The IS has done all that and more. I tend to keep cars a long time, had the Mini for 8 years, the Touareg is going on 9 years. I can see keeping this car for at least 8 years.
Old 08-27-13, 09:29 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

I was just up in Oregon, drove to Portland for the Bay Area then back south to the mountains. Gorgeous up there
Old 08-27-13, 10:07 AM
moose66
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Love the write-up and the pics (especially the teapot gas station). Thanks for sharing the info. Good luck with the F-Sport!
Old 08-27-13, 11:25 AM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Great write up, thanks for sharing, enjoy that new car!
Old 08-27-13, 01:51 PM
don
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Haha. I love the Teapot! I'm flying to Portland this Thursday.