IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

need a tech, can memory seats be added?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-13, 06:33 AM
Bass Mech
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Default need a tech, can memory seats be added?

does anyone know someone who has access to the tech manuals? i would be curious to know if it just might be possible that Lexus uses the same wiring harnesses for all the cars.
i wonder if it might be possible to simply buy the seat memory switch plate, maybe a control module and just add that feature?
seems to me like with all the technology these cars have it would make sense for cost and efficiency reasons to make 1 wiring harness and as the cars come down the assembly line parts are just added to the basic design. it seems like it would make the cars easier and less complicated to build.
if that is the case then there is no reason why you could add a simple feature to existing power seats and power mirrors.
Old 09-21-13, 09:16 PM
ddb
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am pretty sure the harness is not the same. Cost efficiency. Otherwise, it wouldn't be an option, it would be standard.

This is the same for all brands, not just Lexus, I have never seen a car that has optional accessories ready to be used that only need a button on the dash and now it works. Nope, all the harness and hardware is missing if you don't get the option.

I'll ask my friend at Lexus next time I see him just out of curiosity.
Old 09-21-13, 10:03 PM
Bass Mech
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ddb
I am pretty sure the harness is not the same. Cost efficiency. Otherwise, it wouldn't be an option, it would be standard.

This is the same for all brands, not just Lexus, I have never seen a car that has optional accessories ready to be used that only need a button on the dash and now it works. Nope, all the harness and hardware is missing if you don't get the option.

I'll ask my friend at Lexus next time I see him just out of curiosity.
thanks! i am sure there are a couple things that needed to be added besides the switch. there is probably a control unit under the seat. there may even be an additional harness.
but you know so many things these days are controlled from the c-bus or whatever system toyota uses its a little like a network where data is sent like a home network.
it could be the wiring is needed as well a computer systems updated.
i would be curious to see what exactly would be involved.
Old 09-22-13, 11:42 AM
damtachoa
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When people talk about memory seat, I'm getting pissed and mad.
Old 09-22-13, 01:03 PM
IS350AWD
Driver

Originally Posted by damtachoa
When people talk about memory seat, I'm getting pissed and mad.
True, as well as the other little things missing in the 3IS. Sure glad I have the last of a breed...at least for now.

All the 3IS is, IMHO, is a new style with an added performance mode (Sport +)...but with compromises everywhere else: interior design went downhill, the quality is not quite up to par to previous generations (and to Lexus in general).

I remember the Motor Trend interview with the 3IS designer months before the 3IS was revealed. I already knew then it wasn't going to be good. Again, my opinion.

If it's not better than the 2IS, why have a new model?
Old 09-22-13, 06:56 PM
dbs600
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ddb
Sorry, but incorrect.

Rear fog lamps on the BMW 7 Series are not available on US models, BUT...

All you need to do is add the European lamp controls, which have one extra button.

Rear fog lamp bulbs already come installed in the car to boot!

So everything is already in place except the switch plate.

Last edited by dbs600; 10-03-13 at 08:41 AM.
Old 09-22-13, 07:00 PM
dbs600
Lexus Test Driver

BTW: I LOVE this thread and plan to stay tuned.

Whoever can add input / insight would be appreciated.

I also hope if this is possible, it would permit the side-view mirrors to dip too (I imagine the no side view mirror dip is due to there being no memory seats).

Then, hopefully, we can get a discounted group buy going for all the necessary parts!

Only other thing I'd love would be rain sensing wipers...

Last edited by dbs600; 09-22-13 at 10:06 PM.
Old 09-22-13, 09:18 PM
Apexer
Driver School Candidate

If we put a little fund together so I can order the parts required, I don't mind doing the leg work to figure this out for everyone.
But I don't wanna foot the bill for the whole thing if it's just not feasible once parts are ordered.

Anyone interested?
Old 09-22-13, 09:19 PM
Bass Mech
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by IS350AWD
True, as well as the other little things missing in the 3IS. Sure glad I have the last of a breed...at least for now.

All the 3IS is, IMHO, is a new style with an added performance mode (Sport +)...but with compromises everywhere else: interior design went downhill, the quality is not quite up to par to previous generations (and to Lexus in general).

I remember the Motor Trend interview with the 3IS designer months before the 3IS was revealed. I already knew then it wasn't going to be good. Again, my opinion.

If it's not better than the 2IS, why have a new model?
actually, i couldn't disagree more. i had a 2007 IS 350 RWD for 1 thing the nav system is a lot better in the 3IS. also the 8 speed trans is a great thing and i think the interior is a lot better then the previous gen.
Old 09-22-13, 09:30 PM
Bass Mech
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by dbs600
BTW: I LOVE this thread and plan to stay tuned.

Whoever can add input / insight would be appreciated.

I also hope if this is possible, it would permit the side-view mirrors to dip too (I imagine the no side view mirror dip is due to there being no memory seats).

Then, hopefully, we can get a discounted group buy going for all the necessary parts!

Only thing I'd love would be rain sensing wipers...
to be honest i have these on my 2013 GS350 and personally it's a feature i could live without, first of all they are way too sensitive. and 2nd I've been using rain-x for years, love the stuff! if you keep it up with fresh application when you wash the car you really don't need wipers. i only use them when stopped. but if you get any kind of wind blowing on the glass the water simply beads up and flys off the glass. also bugs don't stick very easily. At night you don't even need wipers and i find the more wiping that goes on the more of the rain=x solution gets wiped off the glass and you have to re apply.
I just leave the wipers off for the most part because you can actually see better than the distraction of the wipers every second.
Old 09-22-13, 10:06 PM
dbs600
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 2014IS350
to be honest i have these on my 2013 GS350 and personally it's a feature i could live without, first of all they are way too sensitive. and 2nd I've been using rain-x for years, love the stuff! if you keep it up with fresh application when you wash the car you really don't need wipers. i only use them when stopped. but if you get any kind of wind blowing on the glass the water simply beads up and flys off the glass. also bugs don't stick very easily. At night you don't even need wipers and i find the more wiping that goes on the more of the rain=x solution gets wiped off the glass and you have to re apply.
I just leave the wipers off for the most part because you can actually see better than the distraction of the wipers every second.
Sorry, meant to say the only *other* thing I'd like would be rain sensing wipers.

They work on my 750Li; one of the few things that works on the POS.

Last edited by dbs600; 09-24-13 at 02:08 PM.
Old 09-23-13, 10:51 AM
mmims2000
Driver

Smile

Originally Posted by Apexer
If we put a little fund together so I can order the parts required, I don't mind doing the leg work to figure this out for everyone.
But I don't wanna foot the bill for the whole thing if it's just not feasible once parts are ordered.

Anyone interested?
Definitely interested!!
Old 10-08-13, 06:50 PM
dbs600
Lexus Test Driver

Pretty excited that I found the part needed:

84927C
8492753050C0
SWITCH, SEAT MEMORY, (LH - LEFT, DRIVER SIDE) (AWD - ALL WHEEL DRIVE) (W/ FACTORY LUXURY PACKAGE) &SEAT COVER MATERIAL-NATURAL LEATHER (SMOOTH)

Found here:

http://is.sewellparts.com/oem-catalo...S250-2014.html

and for $90 here:

http://www.oemlexusparts.com/OEMPart...2753050C0.html

Can anyone find the correct interior door trim panel surround for the switch?
Old 10-08-13, 08:28 PM
Bass Mech
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by dbs600
Pretty excited that I found the part needed:

84927C
8492753050C0
SWITCH, SEAT MEMORY, (LH - LEFT, DRIVER SIDE) (AWD - ALL WHEEL DRIVE) (W/ FACTORY LUXURY PACKAGE) &SEAT COVER MATERIAL-NATURAL LEATHER (SMOOTH)

Found here:

http://is.sewellparts.com/oem-catalo...S250-2014.html

and for $90 here:

http://www.oemlexusparts.com/OEMPart...2753050C0.html

Can anyone find the correct interior door trim panel surround for the switch?

good find but heres another problem, looking at the parts lists it looks like 2 different door wire harnesses are offered depending on the build. i see 2 different harnesses

82151 8215153490
WIRE, FRONT DOOR, (RH - RIGHT, PASSENGER SIDE) (W/ FACTORY LUXURY PACKAGE) &POWER SEAT-WITH (SEAT MEMORY = DRIVER SIDE) &LANE CHANGE ASSIST-WITH (BLIND SPOT DETECTION, W (BUZZER) ) 01 Ships 24-48 hrs $396.36 $339.54
82152 8215253501
WIRE, FRONT DOOR, (LH - LEFT, DRIVER SIDE) 01 Ships 24-48 hrs $396.36 $339.54
82152 8215253511
WIRE, FRONT DOOR, (LH - LEFT, DRIVER SIDE) (W/ FACTORY LUXURY PACKAGE) &POWER SEAT-WITH (SEAT MEMORY = DRIVER SIDE) &LANE CHANGE ASSIST-WITH (BLIND SPOT DETECTION, W (BUZZER) ) 01 Ships 24-48 hrs $446.26 $382.27

the other thing is we need to know if there is a module that controls the seat movements and exactly how the memory is set, stores and recalled. is this a separate computer or module or does the body control module handle this duty?

it would appear that in the switch description it describes the switch as a multiplex switch. this means the signal from the switch simply sends a signal down a serial bus connection like many cars. it is probably a 2 wire connection and the switches themselves are simple connected to a resistor network just like the steering wheel switches. each button press has a resistor connected in series sends a different voltage across the 2 wires. the computer simply reads the voltage returned so it knows which button was pressed, processes the signal and performs a function. there has to be a multiplex computer that receives these signals but what is not known is if there is a separate module that controls the seat movement to the preset locations.
the system either has some type of variable resistor at each function of the seat and the seat simply moves until the resistor reads back a preset value and then stops. or the seat motor is a stepper motor that counts how many steps from 1 position to another. either way a processor of some kind would be needed.
looking at the parts so far i am seeing over a thousand bucks just for the 2 parts and if a module is needed it could be a lot more.
Old 10-08-13, 08:34 PM
dbs600
Lexus Test Driver

Hmm, you're right; 8215253501 and 8215253511 are different parts.

This SUCKS.

Quick Reply: need a tech, can memory seats be added?