IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Navigation options prohibited while moving

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-13, 01:16 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by madfast
cant they just use the airbag sensor to tell if someone is sitting in the passenegr seat?

anyways, the future will probably be a tablet that comes out of the dash somewhere between the glovebox and airbag...
naw, in the future I want the car to read my thoughts
Old 09-15-13, 04:36 AM
RA040224
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In my IS 300h nothing is locked in the navi during driving. Or on the phone.

We get all the good stuff, don't we
Old 09-15-13, 05:29 AM
jhs82
Lead Lap

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by aianir
In my IS 300h nothing is locked in the navi during driving. Or on the phone.

We get all the good stuff, don't we
Well, in Norway and Sweden you can't sue the car manufacturer of you crash your car while playing with the nav. Something that is very possible in the US.
Old 09-15-13, 07:36 AM
Dark9t316
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jhs82
Well, in Norway and Sweden you can't sue the car manufacturer of you crash your car while playing with the nav. Something that is very possible in the US.
Somebody should sue google for taking me on a joyride to middle of nowhere.
Old 09-15-13, 03:56 PM
bguidizi
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Yes it lets you use use all the functions of a car in park. I have a unit called Prostegeous Society that allows me to type in what I need while in motion. The Beat Sonic I mentioned though is half the price and they are a vendor on our forums.

Lol yeah I hate to see that disappointed look on some of my guests features when I tell them about the lockout.
Thanks for the suggestions. I checked out their website. Looks perfect. Do you know if this is a self installable option or if you need to have it installed? I didn't see anything about installation. I left them a message to see if the current products work with the 2014 models. Not sure If they work or need a new product.
Old 09-15-13, 04:12 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by bguidizi
Thanks for the suggestions. I checked out their website. Looks perfect. Do you know if this is a self installable option or if you need to have it installed? I didn't see anything about installation. I left them a message to see if the current products work with the 2014 models. Not sure If they work or need a new product.
Good question, on the 2IS, 3GS, 5ES, 4LS you could easily remove the center stack because it was all one piece and the bypass installs to the back of the unit. On these new cars with recessed navigation I don't know how much of a hassle it is left alone taking apart one of these dashes. I'd ask a Lexus Technician how it comes apart.

I'm not sure if they have a working 2014 IS unit out yet, but i'm sure soon enough.
Old 09-15-13, 05:05 PM
vbx
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Infiniti does this too. Very annoying. Especially on the old school navi where you use a joystick instead of touch screen....... Infiniti / Nissan didn't know about Touch Screen until 2008. lol
Old 09-15-13, 07:09 PM
Bass Mech
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

on my 2008 IS and my 2008 there was a mod to cut the VSS wire on the back of the radio and ground the e brake wire at the radio that allowed everything to work except the navigation while driving.
the phone book and mp3 files act worked all the time and you could watch a movie while driving.
Old 09-16-13, 08:46 AM
bguidizi
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by madfast
cant they just use the airbag sensor to tell if someone is sitting in the passenegr seat?

anyways, the future will probably be a tablet that comes out of the dash somewhere between the glovebox and airbag...
I was thinking the same thing about the sensor and have also thought you will have a removable tablet option. Plug in an ipad or android or windows tablet of your choice down the road.
Old 10-01-13, 07:32 PM
dbs600
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any updates on this, Gentlemen?

What are the override options, how easy are they to install and how much do they cost?

All I am coming up with is this: http://www.beatsonicusa.com/partfind...sc&order=price

Which is not for the 2014's and expensive!

Thanks!
Old 10-01-13, 08:13 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Ironic, considering everyone is distracted anyway while texting on their iPhones rather than entering information into the Nav system. I guess the auto manufacturers just don't want the inevitable accident that occurs to be their fault!
Old 10-01-13, 08:14 PM
corsjr28
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dbs600
Any updates on this, Gentlemen?

What are the override options, how easy are they to install and how much do they cost?

All I am coming up with is this: http://www.beatsonicusa.com/partfind...sc&order=price

Which is not for the 2014's and expensive!

Thanks!
DBS,
I've been wondering the same - the other thread about DVD watching override led me to this: http://www.beatsonicusa.com/nav-dvd-...us/nt6223.html

I emailed BeatSonic asking if that 2013 model is compatible and for instructions, and Sam (sam@beatsonicusa.com) quickly responded with the following:

"Thank you for your inquiry and interest in NT6223.

NT6223 is compatible to 2014 Lexus AWD IS350.

Installation is fairly easy, if you have experiences in disassembling center fascia.
You just need to get behind the head unit (radio) and find a 59 pin connector.
59 pin connector is assembled with 3 different small connector, and you just need to find 24 pin connector and daisy chain it. (please see attached connector diagram. highlighted in red)

Unfortunately, we do not have instruction for your vehicle, but we have DIY for GS, which is very similar. (please find attached instruction)"

I've attached both the diagram and GS instructions from his email. I'm still waiting for my is350 via special order (not due until November/December) but I do plan to purchase this unit and attempt to install it. I'm hoping by then, someone else has purchased/installed and can post detailed pictures/instructions.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
2013 GS DIY.pdf (1.42 MB, 378 views)
Old 10-01-13, 09:27 PM
dbs600
Lexus Test Driver

Great info, corsjr28!

I've e-mailed the company as well.

They'll probably say the same exact thing! Ha...
Old 10-02-13, 08:00 AM
corsjr28
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dbs600
Great info, corsjr28!

I've e-mailed the company as well.

They'll probably say the same exact thing! Ha...
No problem! Please let me know if you decide to purchase the unit.

I would love to know how easy or difficult the installation is - and it'd be great if we could get pictures for an install guide.
Old 10-02-13, 02:14 PM
dbs600
Lexus Test Driver

To update all, I received the following response from Sam today:

"Thank you for your inquiry and interest in Beat Sonic bypass module. Yes, we have the bypass module for 2014 Lexus IS, and it's NT6223. NT6223: http://www.beatsonicusa.com/nt6223.html Please let us know if you have any additional questions."

I also followed up with a telephone call to him and he said he's since updated the site to state the part is compatible with our 2014's. I asked if the $160 part that bypasses navigation and Bluetooth would work as well, but he said it does not. Strikes me as strange that the $220 model continues to work with 2014's, but he $160 model, which I planned to get, does not...

He was very nice, however.

Quick Reply: Navigation options prohibited while moving