IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

F-sport demand is off the charts

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-13 | 06:25 PM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

SonyHome, sorry the link doesn't work. Just Google "Psychohistory". I was just trying the help people to see why certain features aren't included but went off on a tangent I guess,

I have the Nebula Gray/Rosa IS FSport. If you keep your car that long -- I'd wait until you can get exactly what you want.

I have a Panasonic 65ZT60. Sony used to be among the best -- then Akio Morita died.
Old 09-19-13 | 06:26 PM
Dark9t316
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SonyHome

That's probably true but I've learned over the years that there is no reason to rush into things especially if it's not exactly what you want. I want something I won't regret for next 10 years and that may be getting features I want.
I agree if there's some feature you simply can't live without, then either wait or look for alternatives.
Old 09-19-13 | 06:30 PM
SonyHome
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by damtachoa
Nobody in this planet stupid enough to spend $50K for a car that not even has memory seat. I think memory seat has come out a long time, and it must be standard by now.
Perhaps 1 missing feature may not sway but if you factor in other things like no cooled seats, no fogs, no power tilt wheels on AWD at least in my area, no side mirrors that tilt on reverse, no 8 speed on AWD, no VGRS on AWD you have to pause and think.
Old 09-19-13 | 06:33 PM
SonyHome
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Dark9t316
I agree if there's some feature you simply can't live without, then either wait or look for alternatives.
Those all in my thoughts along with just buying it! It really is nice car. Could have been much nicer, at least for me.
Old 09-19-13 | 06:48 PM
SonyHome
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by CtSFox
Yeah, I'm like you, I buy and hold. My car I am selling is a 2002 BMW 330xi with 150,000 miles on it Ordered a IS 350 F Sport AWD (Nebula/Red, Nav/ML) coming in November. I plan to keep this car (fingers crossed) at least as long as my 1999 Rx 300 with 200,000 miles on it and still running well!
Congratz, You got yourself a very nice sports sedan! Sounds like Lexus will definitely last 10+ years.
Old 09-19-13 | 06:54 PM
SonyHome
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Glashub
SonyHome, sorry the link doesn't work. Just Google "Psychohistory". I was just trying the help people to see why certain features aren't included but went off on a tangent I guess,

I have the Nebula Gray/Rosa IS FSport. If you keep your car that long -- I'd wait until you can get exactly what you want.

I have a Panasonic 65ZT60. Sony used to be among the best -- then Akio Morita died.
Nice. That is the exact color combo I test drove. If I purchase I think I'll be getting the Obsidian/Rioja Red.
Old 09-20-13 | 02:05 AM
Ramon
Lexus Champion
CL Folding 1M

Originally Posted by Glashub
Maybe it's best to think of Lexus as the auto version of Apple. There is a new paradigm in place based on data and the Jobs legacy. Remember the Jobs theory (proven to be a winner) is basically -- people don't know what they want until you give it to them. Data helps corps and governments to determine how much people will take before they break.

So you have Lexus mandating (like Apple) what can get with your car in exchange for proven quality and reliability. Maybe the Germans are like Android -- customizable but given to bugs and crashes. (I'm just theorizing here.)

Everything is based on mathematical models now that are far more sophisticated than they ever were. I see it every day in my business and I see even small retailers trying to gather email addresses and contact info -- because ownership of data makes a company more valuable.

Anyways, what is happening on the web has revolutionized everything -- including how cars are built and decisions as to what to include and not include. Thank God for Elon Musk for disrupting the industry.
Couple holes with your theory.

1) "people don't know what they want until you give it to them" We don't have a problem being given stuff. This is about what Lexus has removed. Which is, in fact, the complete opposite of giving.

2) AAPL (Apple) has lost 30% of it's value over the last year while Goog (google) has gained 30%. Again, the exact opposite of what you were trying to convey.
Old 09-20-13 | 10:58 AM
John510
Lead Lap

You know whats comical......

Tons of people are complaining about cooled seats, tilting mirrors, etc instead of a real problem. How about making a manual transmission car? Im not 65 with arthritis in my arm. I WANT A MANUAL!!!!!!
Old 09-20-13 | 11:24 AM
ddb
Rookie

I'm in Miami FL, here I see about two to three 3IS F models every day on the streets on average, and maybe one regular model here and there...

But as many have complained, I wish Lexus would have done a better research when deciding how to offer the F models. Other countries get a better package on the F. Here in the US seems that Lexus wanted to target the F models to younger customers with limited money?? I mean, is a luxury sedan / sport cars, I want to be able to add options like ventilated seats (not just heated which is stupid down here in Miami), memory seats, and the worse one, FOG LIGHTS!

Anyways, I am already taking care of the Fogs, I am trying to buy a pair of fog covers from UK or Japan, and I will install aftermarket fogs that fit later on...
Old 09-20-13 | 01:13 PM
jhs82
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by John510

Tons of people are complaining about cooled seats, tilting mirrors, etc instead of a real problem. How about making a manual transmission car? Im not 65 with arthritis in my arm. I WANT A MANUAL!!!!!!
Neither am i, but considering how traffic is today, and what it will become, i probably never buy a manual again.
Old 09-20-13 | 01:21 PM
IS350S2K
Pole Position

Manuals are no longer the fastest way to shift nor the most economical. However, nothing beats the feeling of heel-toe and grabbing the gear. If I had the choice in the IS, I'd still go with the auto. For spirited driving or at the track, I would take my S2000.
Old 09-20-13 | 01:54 PM
ddb
Rookie

Originally Posted by John510

You need to drive the IS350 RWD in Manual mode. Shifting is instant as you hit the shifter or the paddles, and the real torque the engine has comes alive when you force it to stay on the RPM power band (which sadly is avoided on Auto mode unless you are on Sport Mode and still have to step on it to force it)...

Manual transmissions have their days accounted for. Soon they will be part of museums only as new technology allows robotic clutches to shift way faster than any human can do... unless you are the Flash
Old 09-20-13 | 02:24 PM
markb3
Driver

Originally Posted by ddb
You need to drive the IS350 RWD in Manual mode. Shifting is instant as you hit the shifter or the paddles, and the real torque the engine has comes alive when you force it to stay on the RPM power band (which sadly is avoided on Auto mode unless you are on Sport Mode and still have to step on it to force it)...

Manual transmissions have their days accounted for. Soon they will be part of museums only as new technology allows robotic clutches to shift way faster than any human can do... unless you are the Flash
Before I purchased my is350, i had an "itch" to buy another manual car and I'm glad I didn't. If you watch reviews these days on cars...ex BMW 335, you will see them say that the 0-60 is ___ seconds in the manual, while the 0-60 is 0.1 second faster in the DSG. Manual's wont really disappear in Europe, however slowly they will here in North America.

Yes, maybe manual is more fun to drive and Lexus IS is not DSG, but how often are you driving like a tool where you "need" the manual? Maybe 5% of the time, if this car is your daily driver? The paddles are very quick and more than enough to have that fun factor. Thats my opinion.

Regarding the comment about memory seats: I get it...your spending 50k you want it. But who cares really. I've had memory seats in my previous car - 4 years. I've taken advantage of it...less than 10 times? I get that maybe a spouse etc..will want to drive it. Fine..for the first few months when its brand spanking new. After that no one will care anymore, the hype will be gone and no one will touch the seat position.

If you and your spouse are fighting about moving each other's seat positions, chances are that relationship was not meant to be anyways and there are probably bigger problems there.

Last edited by markb3; 09-20-13 at 02:31 PM.
Old 09-20-13 | 02:26 PM
SonyHome
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ddb

RWD got all the goodies for this release in US. They get the new 8 speed and VGRS which are not available in AWD.
Old 09-20-13 | 02:35 PM
SonyHome
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by markb3
Before I purchased my is350, i had an "itch" to buy another manual car and I'm glad I didn't. If you watch reviews these days on cars...ex BMW 335, you will see them say that the 0-60 is ___ seconds in the manual, while the 0-60 is 0.1 second faster in the DSG. Manual's wont really disappear in Europe, however slowly they will here in North America.

Yes, maybe manual is more fun to drive and Lexus IS is not DSG, but how often are you driving like a tool where you "need" the manual? Maybe 5% of the time, if this car is your daily driver? The paddles are very quick and more than enough to have that fun factor. Thats my opinion.

Regarding the comment about memory seats: I get it...your spending 50k you want it. But who cares really. I've had memory seats in my previous car - 4 years. I've taken advantage of it...less than 10 times? I get that maybe a spouse etc..will want to drive it. Fine..for the first few months when its brand spanking new. After that no one will care anymore, the hype will be gone and no one will touch the seat position.
Yeah. It's all matter of convenience. You don't really need power windows with auto feature, you don't need auto-tilting side mirrors, you don't need heated seats, you don't need power seats, you don't need cooled seats, you don't need heated seats, you don't need tire pressure monitor, you don't need keyless entry, you don't need keyless start it's all matter of convenience. I can respect that you don't want/need it but there are some that wish they had the option because they may use it more often than others.

Quick Reply: F-sport demand is off the charts