IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Remote Engine Start Anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-13, 08:06 PM
vbx
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why is the option available on the Lexus.com site though? Even after you selected Navigation.
Old 09-21-13, 08:46 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

The port installed RS sucks... If you get the aftermarket RS from the dealer then a third party will install it, but it's much better than the port installed RS. Don't have pics of the fob but it is small it's no where near the size of your Lexus key fob. It will be a fob from pursuit/audiovox.
Old 09-21-13, 11:38 PM
Apexer
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is so much misinformation in this topic.

The factory Lexus remote start IS compatible with nav equipped 2014 IS's.

I can confirm this because I bought it along with my car and installed it myself.
If it doesn't come with your car, you have to install it and use the dealer software to reprogram the factory ecu to recognize it before it'll work.

All New IS's can get the factory RS installed.

It's nice when you can remember to set the AC before you get out when it's hot or remember to turn the heater on when it's cold!
Old 09-22-13, 04:21 AM
kanphoto
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kesh550
Negotiated the remote start when I initially bought my car and found out after they tried to install it that its not compatible if you have navigation.
Originally Posted by waynetech2
Correct!
***Remote Start is NOT COMPATIBLE with Navigation equipped models!**

Originally Posted by dbs600
WHAT!?

You HAVE to be kidding me...
Originally Posted by dbs600
I know you're being sarcastic, but it just doesn't make sense. If anyone would want remote start ($500 part + $500 labor), it'd be the person who has a fully equipped NAV car (which should be standard on a Lexus by now), not the person who wants a stripped model...
Originally Posted by Apexer

I can confirm this because I bought it along with my car and installed it myself.
If it doesn't come with your car, you have to install it and use the dealer software to reprogram the factory ecu to recognize it before it'll work.

It's nice when you can remember to set the AC before you get out when it's hot or remember to turn the heater on when it's cold!
Unless I am tripping acid every time I get in my car the Nav and remote start work great!
Old 09-22-13, 05:28 AM
dbs600
Lexus Test Driver

What do you mean all new IS' 'can' get the factory Remote Start?

If my car is on a ship right now and destined to land in a couple of weeks, what are my options - Lexus-wise, not aftermarket...

Otherwise, am I correct to understand the Lexus version does not have an extra key fob, that all you do is click the unlock button three times?
Old 09-22-13, 07:17 AM
waynetech2
Pole Position

Originally Posted by kanphoto
Unless I am tripping acid every time I get in my car the Nav and remote start work great!

Listen, I want this to be true. However, if you look at the Lexus instructions for install, they make it clear that it will conflict with the nav in some way.
http://is.sewellparts.com/pdf/PT39853141.pdf
As background I have been working for Lexus around 7 years(which make me more upset at this), and actually asked my corp rep what the deal is. He confirmed from the engineering side, there was some conflict. He also said it would be changed in the 2015 model..thats messed up

Anyway the point is, those with U.S. factory remote start and nav please mess around with your nav and bluetooth and enform, voice commands etc., to see if this glitch is something we can live with. Think about it, I'm sure Lexus wouldnt lose out on extra money for no reason.
Old 09-22-13, 09:20 AM
Apexer
Driver School Candidate

Those are the same directions I used to install mine as well.

For the record, I have a 2014 IS 350 RWD Fsport w/nav and my install went just fine.
Everything works as it should, no issues to report.

Could be that the issue is related to something in the luxury package that mine did not have.
There are different wiring options when you install it based on the harness that's already in your car, so I can't confirm that it'll work for everyone!
I took the risk and it worked fine on mine. I would suspect if you have a car built just like mine, you'll be fine. It's up to others to try it out on theirs though to see if it works.

I installed the system myself and used techstream to program it.

For the question about the car on the boat.
When it arrives, you just need to order the part, install it yourself, and find someone (or order it yourself) with techstream and program your current fobs/ecu to work it!

Last edited by Apexer; 09-22-13 at 09:24 AM.
Old 09-23-13, 10:46 PM
SonyHome
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by sydtoosic
The port installed RS sucks... If you get the aftermarket RS from the dealer then a third party will install it, but it's much better than the port installed RS. Don't have pics of the fob but it is small it's no where near the size of your Lexus key fob. It will be a fob from pursuit/audiovox.
Sales guy I was working with at my local dealer today said factory remote start is limited by signal distance. Basically same distance as unlocking and locking your doors. He recommended Viper SmartStart which works much further and it uses your smart phone to control. He quoted $429 installed. But you have to pay monthly service fee.

Can current owner confirm signal distance of their factory remote start? It would take a way the benefits if you have to be right next to it to start.

Last edited by SonyHome; 09-24-13 at 11:57 AM.
Old 09-24-13, 06:21 AM
waynetech2
Pole Position

Those are the same directions I used to install mine as well.

For the record, I have a 2014 IS 350 RWD Fsport w/nav and my install went just fine.
Everything works as it should, no issues to report.

Could be that the issue is related to something in the luxury package that mine did not have.
There are different wiring options when you install it based on the harness that's already in your car, so I can't confirm that it'll work for everyone!
I took the risk and it worked fine on mine. I would suspect if you have a car built just like mine, you'll be fine. It's up to others to try it out on theirs though to see if it works.

I installed the system myself and used techstream to program it.

For the question about the car on the boat.
When it arrives, you just need to order the part, install it yourself, and find someone (or order it yourself) with techstream and program your current fobs/ecu to work it!
I ordered the same setup. I really do hope it is a Luxury package thing. I would like a few more people to confirm tho..
Old 10-03-13, 11:54 AM
waxy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SonyHome
Sales guy I was working with at my local dealer today said factory remote start is limited by signal distance. Basically same distance as unlocking and locking your doors. He recommended Viper SmartStart which works much further and it uses your smart phone to control. He quoted $429 installed. But you have to pay monthly service fee.

Can current owner confirm signal distance of their factory remote start? It would take a way the benefits if you have to be right next to it to start.
Bump

For more information on this.

I'm on the fence between the Viper Smart Start vs the RES ECU or wait for RES+ ECU (Smart Phone) if it's ever released.

Any type of feedback would be great, as I'm sure several others wonder the same thing.

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-04-13, 06:22 PM
SonyHome
Lexus Test Driver

Here is some information on the remote start. It seem engine will stop if you open the door, not sure why since I would want to get in and drive!

Also it states range is ~80 feet if there are no obstacles.

http://drivers.lexus.com/t3Portal/do...ADG-0087-D.pdf
Old 01-08-14, 06:10 AM
tbone587
Driver School Candidate

Are there any after market solutions for remote start? I just traded in my 2011 camaro for a 2014 Lexus is 250 nav and I am missing my remote start already
Old 01-08-14, 07:16 AM
jnjmatts
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tbone587
Are there any after market solutions for remote start? I just traded in my 2011 camaro for a 2014 Lexus is 250 nav and I am missing my remote start already
I'm also looking for an aftermarket remote starter. I've been told that the aftermarket companies have to crack the security codes first (unless you want to bury a key). I want something in the 3000ft+ range, 80ft seems kinda useless. I've contacted a few installers a month ago and no one could do it without burying a key. I hope they crack it soon.
Old 01-08-14, 07:24 AM
AdvanSLF
Lead Lap

this just doesn't make sense with the whole remote start fiasco! during my purchase i told my dealer i wanted remote start in my 3IS. The consultant and manager said its not available since i have nav on the car. i called lexus corporate and they checked with engineering and said its not compatible with cars that have nav in them. checked with the chief mechanic and parts guy at the dealership again and they too said its not compatible.

i initially thought that lex's disclaimer about it not being compatible was if you had a nav and wanted the RES+ remote start. i thought if you had a nav and wanted the regular remote start, it was compatible and fine. everyone at at lexus (dealerships, consultants, techs, corporate) is saying it can be done.. how the hell did apexer and kanphoto do it then is my question??????? if these everyday average joes can install it and make it work, maybe they should go take over the engineering department as lexus!
Old 01-08-14, 09:34 AM
waxy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by AdvanSLF
this just doesn't make sense with the whole remote start fiasco! during my purchase i told my dealer i wanted remote start in my 3IS. The consultant and manager said its not available since i have nav on the car. i called lexus corporate and they checked with engineering and said its not compatible with cars that have nav in them. checked with the chief mechanic and parts guy at the dealership again and they too said its not compatible.

i initially thought that lex's disclaimer about it not being compatible was if you had a nav and wanted the RES+ remote start. i thought if you had a nav and wanted the regular remote start, it was compatible and fine. everyone at at lexus (dealerships, consultants, techs, corporate) is saying it can be done.. how the hell did apexer and kanphoto do it then is my question??????? if these everyday average joes can install it and make it work, maybe they should go take over the engineering department as lexus!
They're using the Viper Smart Start component.
It's about $200 for the unit, and another $200 for theover ride module.

Quick Reply: Remote Engine Start Anyone?